Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I agree with everything said on this thread.
But in the first handful of games each season before teams have settled in, strange things tend to happen.
Bad teams look good and vice versa.
Bad players look good and good players look bad.
So we don’t know what this team is yet.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
But in the first handful of games each season before teams have settled in, strange things tend to happen.
That is completely correct, October hockey isn’t necessarily indicative. That said, the style of play, you can see a change in the approach, and it looks a positive. I felt the first few games would be a real transition, a 5-5 start not much of a concern. It’s more how we want to play, than execution at this point, probsby biggest adjustment is for the star players. Again though, your Tanev’s, OEL, even PAC, they’re known quantities, what they’re adding isn’t an October illusion. I’m encouraged, and it won’t change if we skid for a bit here.

Reactions: rumman and frizzer1

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Seems like a very shrewd and patient GM. Doesn't feel like the kind of guy who would make a trade for the sake of making a trade, if a player got sad.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Team is better and the system is better. Given up 5 goals in 3 games. Keep that up and we’re going to win a shit load of games
Probably 55 or 56 games in the regular season, I bet. It will finally be the season they win the division and go on a run.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
In the case of Lilejgren, he’s the one who signed back for 2 years. He’s not happy? Too bad, sit up in the press box and wait for the next opportunity. He controlled his fate in pre-season. And he wasn’t very good

Reactions: rumman

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Probably 55 or 56 games in the regular season, I bet. It will finally be the season they win the division and go on a run.

I like that we are finding meaning in the regular season. We have to implement new systems, we have to develop some players and chemistry, and we want to win the division. It's much better than coasting through the regular season without purpose and getting sent home from the dance two weeks later.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
All his adds looked good last night, every one of them brought something. Big picture, liking what he did.
Now Tre has to do some subtracting, get rid of the likes of Lilly, Timmins, Jarnkrok, possibly Kampt. BTW, Patches has looked good until last night, he might not be able to keep up the good pace as the season progresses, not sold on him yet……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tre is doing the same thing as Dubas. Trying to put different pieces every year around a playoff success challenged core. All why not trading any of them and increasing their salaries. Now Tre and Dubas have different players they like but ultimately it’s the same thing. If that core can’t play in the playoffs you’re done. For every Chicago/Pittsburgh, there is the San Jose Sharks.
Exactly, they need to move on from JT and Marner simply because that cap needs to be spent elsewhere, my biggest fear is Pizza Boy signs one or both mid season like he did when he ridiculously overpaid Styles. They’ll need money to sign Knies, Lorentz, Robertson et al, to long term deals and start fixing the D which looks great so far, but is aging fast. Thankfully Berube hockey isn’t dependent on flash and dash players, it needs blue collar grinders who can play 200 foot playoff hockey game in and game out…….

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Exactly, they need to move on from JT and Marner simply because that cap needs to be spent elsewhere, my biggest fear is Pizza Boy signs one or both mid season like he did when he ridiculously overpaid Styles. They’ll need money to sign Knies, Lorentz, Robertson et al, to long term deals and start fixing the D which looks great so far, but is aging fast. Thankfully Berube hockey isn’t dependent on flash and dash players, it needs blue collar grinders who can play 200 foot playoff hockey game in and game out…….
Better or worse, it's hard to see a scenario where they don't sign them both. Tavares is an obvious one. If there is a percentage above 100%, those are the odds he'll be resigned. But it will be a team-friendly contract. Marner, on the other hand, will not be team-friendly.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Considering that Tre said last summer that the priority was signing Matty and Willy (and did), and has made no such comment this summer about either Mitch or JT, he might have already decided which two to keep. If so, I think he made the right choice.
Perhaps, but he overpaid Styles imo, it would be encouraging if he realized they can only afford keep two of the four………

Better or worse, it's hard to see a scenario where they don't sign them both. Tavares is an obvious one. If there is a percentage above 100%, those are the odds he'll be resigned. But it will be a team-friendly contract. Marner, on the other hand, will not be team-friendly.
A team friendly contract ofr JT is around 4 mil, I doubt he will esigns for that amount, he’s still a quality player, but aging fast. Marner won’t be worth his ask, better to move on from him now that they overpaid Styles………

Reactions: notDatsyuk

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So when Mitch pulls the chute going into the corner when he’s got a step on the D man that’s just him trying too hard?
Fact of the matter in Mitch doesn’t try when he’s being put in physical conflicts, he shy’s away from these situations and it come to fruition every playoffs thus far………

Robertson spent 30% of his total ice time - laying on the ice.

Never seen a guy off his skates so much.
Coach liked his game last night, I think he quoted something like a dog on a bone……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander had 1 good shift last night, it was his 1st or 2nd shift into the second period, he hit a post and was going full gas on his shift, I think he made 2 zone entries on the shift as well. He vanished for the rest of the game. Went from sports car mode to limp mode. The center experiment is good proof of Nylander not interested in doing anything extra. Playing C is alot more work than winger, alot more responsibilities, Nylander could easily do it if he wanted too but isnt interested in doing all the extra things a C does.
I didn’t think he was engaged all game, regardless of the two goals which can’t be ignored……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Aside from The Core, I think Tre has assembled a more likeable roster than we've had in quite some time. Now if we could just keep the likeable players.
Need cap space for that, Lorentz will be in for a huge pay raise if he keeps up with his play all season, ditto for Robertson……..

Wow, Tre gave Reeves 3 years and didnt know fighting was a young mans game? He has been given his money and has no real need to risk his health at 37. We all know about post concussion syndrome now. To me Reeves has already checked out. Is it any wonder this team continually has cap problems. Not only that, he paid Woll and he has already lost his job to 2 guys who make less. With Reeves out( he is toast in my books) that forward group is a bit soft, so what now?
As a pugilist Reeves is spent, but the coach seems to have faith in his game so lets see what he can do, Tree definitely overpaid him especially on a three year deal……..

Reactions: darrylsittler27

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Perspective, but we can only comment on what’s happened thus far……..

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Need cap space for that, Lorentz will be in for a huge pay raise if he keeps up with his play all season, ditto for Robertson……..

As a pugilist Reeves is spent, but the coach seems to have faith in his game so lets see what he can do, Tree definitely overpaid him especially on a three year deal……..
Reeves is spent as a pugilist? You must have missed a couple of his bouts last year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
In the case of Lilejgren, he’s the one who signed back for 2 years. He’s not happy? Too bad, sit up in the press box and wait for the next opportunity. He controlled his fate in pre-season. And he wasn’t very good
If he want to blame someone he needs to look in the mirror, personally I like that finally players are going to be held accountable for their game. Patches and Benny rode the pine for the the remainder of the game last night, I’m sure the message was received………

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Perhaps, but he overpaid Styles imo, it would be encouraging if he realized they can only afford keep two of the four………

A team friendly contract ofr JT is around 4 mil, I doubt he will esigns for that amount, he’s still a quality player, but aging fast. Marner won’t be worth his ask, better to move on from him now that they overpaid Styles………
That was really my point. Aside from the fact that he overpaid Willy (largely because he kind of had to pay him more than Dubas had overpaid Mitch and JT), it looks like he realized he can only keep two of the four, and picked the better two.

I wouldn't mind JT at 4, but not for more than a couple of years at most. I don't think there's any way we can afford Mitch at what he'll want.

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad