Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What 'bout playoffs? Did we get goalie'd again? Or is Tre not afforded that excuse in your books?

And what about injuries to them too? You gonna afford Tre that excuse too? Lord knows you'd be shouting it from the roof tops if this was Dubas running the team with those injuries to the core 4 in the playoffs.
No Nylander, Matthews out or ailing and we lose our goalie for Game 7. Can’t even acknowledge it.

As for the regular season, weren’t we one of the top teams second half when everyone got accustomed and found their roles? Ohhhh October hockey, so important and relevant.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Actually, I wasn't comparing at all - you're wrong as usual.

You may think, or at least claim, that this year's results are worse, but you are very much in a minority in that.
the results were worse though, unless we are talking abouts respect in the handshake line type results. or the not giving up as many futures results. or the performance in spite of injuries results.
but it used to be that winning in the playoffs was the only thing that mattered and the rest was excuses.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
No Nylander, Matthews out or ailing and we lose our goalie for Game 7. Can’t even acknowledge it.

As for the regular season, weren’t we one of the top teams second half when everyone got accustomed and found their roles? Ohhhh October hockey, so important and relevant.
Definitely can't wait to see the bullshit Dekes cooks up for this one :laugh:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
anyway I liked Dewar and Edmo, Benoit signing and extension were obviously good. Domi proved me wrong and I hope Tre does too. I still feel like total shit 3 days later.

Reactions: Ciao

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
For the record, the core 4 collectively scored more this year than they ever have.

There was no issue with the internal cap structure, and having top players that you pay bigger money to is a common build style that Treliving doubled down on.
The adds Treliving made around it is what screwed us.
Hyman has scored more playoff goals this year then the entire core 4 but ya stick with the narrative that they are awesome

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

We lost our goalie last year, we lost our captain in the Montreal series, Matthews was injured multiple years, and key players have been injured every year.

What years were we fully healthy?

If we can start adding context to ignore past failures too, our team starts to look like less of a failure.

People just ignore the context in the past and only cite results, why is this changing now?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What 'bout playoffs? Did we get goalie'd again? Or is Tre not afforded that excuse in your books?
And what about injuries to them too?
The discussion was specifically about the regular season, and how our record there was impacted by the core 4.
Yes, Swayman played extremely well, just like he did against Florida last night, and just like Woll did. And yes, injuries definitely hurt us in that series.
I'm glad you're finally realizing the impact of things like that in playoff series, and I await you applying that standard to previous years.
Unfortunately, none of that changes the issues that Treliving created all on his own.
As for the regular season, weren’t we one of the top teams second half when everyone got accustomed and found their roles?
No, we were 8th in the league in the second half. Went into the playoffs on a 4 game losing streak.
Hyman has scored more playoff goals this year then the entire core 4 but ya stick with the narrative that they are awesome
Hyman has scored more playoff goals than everybody in the league. That doesn't really say anything.
Good for him, he's feasting off McDavid and horrible goaltending. Not sure what that has to do with us.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We lost our goalie last year, we lost our captain in the Montreal series, Matthews was injured multiple years, and key players have been injured every year.

What years were we fully healthy?

If we can start adding context to ignore past failures too, our team starts to look like less of a failure.

People just ignore the context in the past and only cite results, why is this changing now?
Read my original comment, that's you. He's gone get over it or find another team.

• Haha
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The discussion was specifically about the regular season, and how our record there was impacted by the core 4.
Yes, Swayman played extremely well, just like he did against Florida last night, and just like Woll did. And yes, injuries definitely hurt us in that series.
I'm glad you're finally realizing the impact of things like that in playoff series, and I await you applying that standard to previous years.
Unfortunately, none of that changes the issues that Treliving created all on his own

"Yes, Swayman played extremely well, just like he did against Florida last night, and just like Woll did. And yes, injuries definitely hurt us in that series."

Yeah we got goalie'd once again which is why a Treliving acquisition led the team in postseason scoring over the core 4.

And that's all you gotta say about the injuries? Just "yes they hurt us"? That's very few words for what'd be a novel you'd write if Dubas ran the team.

WE all see that your bullshit doesn't add up.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah we got goalie'd once again which is why a Treliving acquisition led the team in postseason scoring over the core 4.
And that's all you gotta say about the injuries? Just "yes they hurt us"? That's very few words for what'd be a novel you'd write if Dubas ran the team.
Matthews is part of the core 4, and Treliving didn't acquire him.
Goaltending impacts and injuries impacted us again. I'm not really sure what you'd like me to say about that. It sucks.
I've always acknowledged the impacts of that stuff on playoff series. You're the one that ignored it, until this year.
I've always acknowledged that there's more to a GM than the end outcome of a playoff series. You're the one that only cared about that, until this year.
So the question isn't really what I have to say about it. I've been very clear and consistent about that stuff. The question is what you have to say about it.

Reactions: leafs in five

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They simply reverted to the normal first round loss in the playoffs. The regular season results were slightly worse but so was Marner, Reilly and Tavares and the goal tending so that probably has more to do with it then the moves Tre made and I’m not a true fan
The penalty kill and bottom 6 were significantly worse, which is a direct reflection of the roster construction this year. It was also an area that wasn't strengthened at the deadline despite being a priority.

That's on the GM. That's how this works

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The penalty kill and bottom 6 were significantly worse, which is a direct reflection of the roster construction this year. It was also an area that wasn't strengthened at the deadline despite being a priority.

That's on the GM. That's how this works
Special teams I put on the coaching, not the players.

IMO, the team didn't advance as far but I think they were ultimately better.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I would put it on both - Kampf & Marner aside, they didn't have many who were consistently good at it;, and they didn't replace the number of players they've lost the past few years who were effective PKers.

Domi and Bertuzzi can't kill. Knies really can't kill.

Mar 12, 2009
If Dubas was at the helm of this team with the same moves and this result, the people defending Tre would be frothing at the mouth losing their minds about another round 1 exit.
It's kind of clear that some people are so obsessed with him that they're willing to not only accept, but defend, more mediocre results as long as the guy in charge isn't the one they act like slept with their mom and kicked their dog.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Someone made a good comment watching the special teams, they always looked like they were trying to find their spots on a board, hit their marks, rather than playing with any intuition. I thought it was spot on, Boucher in particular over coached raw talent, let them create.

If Dubas was at the helm of this team with the same moves and this result, the people defending Tre would be frothing at the mouth losing their minds about another round 1 exit.
It's kind of clear that some people are so obsessed with him that they're willing to not only accept, but defend, more mediocre results as long as the guy in charge isn't the one they act like slept with their mom and kicked their dog.
Actually, some of us argued Dubas should come back last year before he pulled his embarrassing presser.

If someone is unsure what "projection" means I'll direct them to your post.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would put it on both - Kampf & Marner aside, they didn't have many who were consistently good at it;, and they didn't replace the number of players they've lost the past few years who were effective PKers.

Domi and Bertuzzi can't kill. Knies really can't kill.
Both is fair, players obviously need to execute but it seemed like the plan was faulty and for whatever reason were hesitant to change it.

Reactions: Tak7

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Difference is this was Tre's first year while it would have been Dubas' 6th kick at the can. Now let's see if Tre is going to bet everything on this core or if he sees the warts. Let's give him some rope to hang himself before we hang him.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I know everyone hated 11-7 but I would have tried it out, get a 7th dman that you might only really play on the PP. Erik Gustafsson maybe. no wait

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Both is fair, players obviously need to execute but it seemed like the plan was faulty and for whatever reason were hesitant to change it.
Yep, agreed.

If you look at guys they used regularly on the PK the past few seasons, several of them haven't been replaced:

Holl, Kerfoot, Engvall, Mikheyev, ZAR, Acciari, Lafferty, Muzzin, ROR, etc.

That's a lot of decent PK talent that was lost, and replaced with Domi, Bert, and Klingberg (none of whom kill penalties)

Mar 12, 2009
Someone made a good comment watching the special teams, they always looked like they were trying to find their spots on a board, hit their marks, rather than playing with any intuition. I thought it was spot on, Boucher in particular over coached raw talent, let them create.

Actually, some of us argued Dubas should come back last year before he pulled his embarrassing presser.

If someone is unsure what "projection" means I'll direct them to your post.
If you want them to continue to be unsure, go right ahead. If anyone is unsure what a circle jerk is, I'll direct them to this thread .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad