Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
"Good teams are built from the Goalie out, through strong defense ....... "

The only reason the Leafs are winning is because young Joseph Woll is out-dueling Swayman who has been outstanding in the series.

Look at what is being asked and delivered by Woll, the only thing keeping the Leafs off the Golf course right now.

View attachment 864084

Does he have 1 more game in him on Saturday to have Leafs advance and truly turned a page of constant failure to showing they can compete and play winning playoff hockey.
Fk did the Leafs finally develop a goalie? Is he our stud for years to come? *****reversejinx*****

Reactions: arso40

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I can't believe more people don't see things this way. The "us or them" approach is so goofy. No team wins without relying on moves made by prior regimes.
Yeah, the comparisons between Lamoriello (thankfully, now fading), Dubas, and Treliving are petty and tiresome.

I liked all of them, and I'm glad the Leafs won last night.

I would have been pissed if they lost, and I'll be just as pissed if they should lose tomorrow.

Winning cures a lot of things.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why is Boston "offensively challenged"? They were 13th in goals scored in the regular season, with only two fewer than Florida.

Reactions: arso40

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Treliving's Big, Mean, Mobile additions as keys to Leafs playoff success.

Leafs BIG Hitters

View attachment 864135

Top Block Shot Leaders

View attachment 864137

Notice how Brodie, Giordano and Timmins all essentially benched showing the difference between current and former GM understanding of what is required to compete in the playoffs,
Don’t forget addition by subtraction of All Time Great Justin Holl.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Woll is making Hunter and @JT AM da real deal look good.
Here is something most folks don't know about Woll .. Woll stoned Mitch in 1 Montreal final spring game which i coached .. da most important thing Mitch/Paul will do for org is 100% pitch Woll to be drafted by us .. I think if you asked Hunter he will tell you he drafted Woll because of Marner .. that said I have also seen Woll take down Matty too .. I have said since da kids were 9 that Woll was best 97/98 tender I have ever seen .. his team did have Tzachuk, Keller, frederic and man child but it was terribly weak after those 4 kids and should never have made ANY of those spring championship games BUT he did it .. our team had 8 nhlers and 8 ahlers on it .. shots were 60+ to 10 in that 1 game STL won 1-0 over TO

Reactions: LeafEgo and ToneDog

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the previous regime drafted some guy named Knies who might be the only reason Treliving's current team is still alive.

This whole "OMG Treliving is so good and the last guy was so bad" is relatively humourous. This team has a bunch of fingerprints on it, most of them good ones, and Treliving has only shown that he likes the base he's been given. His overall track record in Calgary though, it's not great. It's actually not even as good as the previous regime here. Doesn't mean he won't get it done either, it's just humourous (and eye roll inducing) to watch so many pretend he's done something here or there... when he hasn't done anything but the exact same things, that's all.

I don’t think anyone is particularly passionate about Brad Treliving as a GM and that’s kind of the point… which obviously is lost on the Dubas folks who continue to look for these weaknesses in Tre’s portfolio. What’s important is he’s doing things a little differently and that’s going to change the makeup of the Leafs and give them a chance to evolve over the next few years.

By the way, even as mediocre as Tre was in Calgary. 3 first round series victories to 1 since 2014.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Seriously guys, this further cements the fact that the core are not THE problem. I can acknowledge that having that much cap tied up isn't ideal, but only 1 more year with Tavares.

The difference for this team, 100%, comes in goal. If we have a solid goalie, we go far. Not rocket science, but we haven't had this type of goaltending in forever.

The core is still problematic. They’re either missing games or playing to a level far lower than their cap hits. We’re winning despite them right now.

L3af

Sep 24, 2018
I like what Tree has done with the D & adding Bert + Domi. Passion + toughness. He still however; scares me shitless about what he's going to do in the offseason.

Reactions: Tak7

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One underlining thing that is being overlooked is the fact that it seems like our skill guys-AM, MM and Willie all are at their best or close to it when they play with Bert and Domi.
I don't think it is luck but more to do with the way they play the game.
If anything, we need more Bert and Domi on the team.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Dubas added some great pieces through the years (Muzzin, McCabe, early Brodie) but he didn't realize you needed players who will go through a wall during playoff time. The core 4 + Rielly aren't those type of players. Tre has given us a tougher group of players who can withstand the rigors of playoff series. Look at the shot blocking, hitting, heart being shown by Benoit, Edmundson, Lybushkin, Domi, Bertuzzi, etc. I honestly believe that if we got one more win in us, we'll beat Florida because we've figured out how to play playoff hockey, and also we now have a goalie who is playing extremely solidly.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I don’t think anyone is particularly passionate about Brad Treliving as a GM and that’s kind of the point… which obviously is lost on the Dubas folks who continue to look for these weaknesses in Tre’s portfolio. What’s important is he’s doing things a little differently and that’s going to change the makeup of the Leafs and give them a chance to evolve over the next few years.

By the way, even as mediocre as Tre was in Calgary. 3 first round series victories to 1 since 2014.
I mean, look at the top post on this page which praises Treliving for... I'm not even sure. Most of those guys were from previous regimes and/or you could look at the same thing last year and see their counterparts in those sports.

Two first round series victories in his tenure. His teams lost in the first round three times and didn't make the playoffs four times. His time in Calgary was mediocre at best, which is fine, I just don't get the pretending it's something it wasn't.

He's also, at least at this point, not doing things differently. Which again, is this whole idea that seems to be lost on people. We have gotten all these types of guys before, sometimes often. The idea is exactly the same as it's been for a long time, this is our core, we're gonna ride or die here and try to use the cap space to fill in the gaps. We got Edmundson? Great. We've done that before, see Schenn. We got Bertuzzi? Great, we had Bunting. We got Domi? Great, we've gone out to get ROR. We've gotten Reaves? Great, we traded for Kyle Clifford... twice! We got Lyubushkin? Great, we've traded for... well, Lyubushkin before. The list goes on.

Maybe this changes if we lose tomorrow night. Maybe he decides to explore moving Marner. I don't think he is the one who needs to change his mind though, I think the one guy who can claim his fingerprints all over everyone but Rielly is the one who would need to.
I can't believe more people don't see things this way. The "us or them" approach is so goofy. No team wins without relying on moves made by prior regimes.
It's honestly mind boggling to me. Dude was far from perfect, sweet lord he certainly did a few things that drove me nuts (I think every GM will), but should we reel off 13 more wins this year, this team wasn't BT, Dubas, or Lou Lam built, it was all of them built.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Treliving's Big, Mean, Mobile additions as keys to Leafs playoff success.

Leafs BIG Hitters

View attachment 864135

Top Block Shot Leaders

View attachment 864137

Notice how Brodie, Giordano and Timmins all essentially benched showing the difference between current and former GM understanding of what is required to compete in the playoffs,

1. they haven't won the series (hope they do).
2. the D he brought in suck still.
3. you must think Tavares is killing it.
4. the goalie that was signed by the former GM is the reason they are coming back, not the D.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
4. the goalie that was signed by the former GM is the reason they are coming back, not the D.
What do you mean by number 2?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
One underlining thing that is being overlooked is the fact that it seems like our skill guys-AM, MM and Willie all are at their best or close to it when they play with Bert and Domi.
I don't think it is luck but more to do with the way they play the game.
If anything, we need more Bert and Domi on the team.
Former Leaf Zach Hyman has already scored 7 playoff goals in 2024.

Boy wouldn't he look good on this team right now fitting in like a glove playing in traffic and in the blue paint and help a struggling Leafs PP?

Reactions: LeafSteel

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Former Leaf Zach Hyman has already scored 7 playoff goals in 2024.

Boy wouldn't he look good on this team right now fitting in like a glove playing in traffic and in the blue paint and help a struggling Leafs PP?
But we don't have a McD and a shot from the point like Bouchard on our PP.

Reactions: OddyOh and arso40

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He changed the identity of the team with what little cap space he had.

You can see the beginnings of the team he wants. Big, physical, tough and simple. Dump and chase offensively with 2 superstar players (88 and 34) who are north/south, who create their own shots and scoring chances. by heading straight to the net.

The issue is the available cap space moving forward.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is this a Dubas Vs Tre thing? Bc I think Lou drafted AM while Burke drafted Reilly, Hunter drafted MM and Norris drafted Willie, are we going to give them credit if Leafs win the Cup?

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
They’ve combined for 5 goals and 10 points. Thats not close to 40 million worth of scoring…
It’s a low scoring series and guys have been hurt. I assume you’ve watched the games, the style of play doesn’t cater to high scoring. What matters is winning.

Reactions: Duffman955

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Seriously guys, this further cements the fact that the core are not THE problem. I can acknowledge that having that much cap tied up isn't ideal, but only 1 more year with Tavares.

The difference for this team, 100%, comes in goal. If we have a solid goalie, we go far. Not rocket science, but we haven't had this type of goaltending in forever.
We've also really struggled to score in the playoffs and our special teams are ass. A lot of that is on our core not producing the way they are paid to and you can't expect your goalies to mask all your other problems.

Having said all that, yes, in the past our goalies haven't managed to come up with saves they've needed to make in big games

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Considering Treliving has added Benoit, Lyubushkin and Edmundson who have pushed Brodie off the playoff roster it sounds like he did his job as you described it…
Adding 3 bottom pairing defensemen instead of addressing the top-4, and making us worse defensively and in transition, was not his job.

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad