Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 114 60.3%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 65 34.4%

• Total voters

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
He had a lot of no move clauses and big money tied up. Has done very well so far.

Wish he would have fired Keefe last summer

Next year $20 million in space comes up and he has more to work with

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
While the team is arguably better than last season, I don't think this team is better than either the 2023 Leafs or 2022 Leafs were going into their respective playoffs. And sure, more moves could be made, perhaps during the season even, but the team has no picks from rounds 1-4 in 2025... It very much feels like this is just gonna be another transitional year that gets burned while they hope that Berube and an improved defense can be enough to give the Leafs an extra gear. However, the forward group is worse after losing Bertuzzi and not adding anyone of note up front.. I just don't see this group getting past the second round at best. And in terms of where Toronto stacks up in the East, I think the Rangers, Devils, Panthers are all certifiably better, and Boston / Tampa / Carolina will continue to give this team fits as they usually do. This is probably a 5-7 seed.

And sure everyone can say 'what was he supposed to do about Marner's NMC', well that's exactly why they needed to seriously look at moving him a year ago and they failed to do that. Shanahan deserves to be fired.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Shanahan is not the general manager.
Shanahan was not the one who gave him the contract.

the one who was and did is fired.
Eh, that's semantics Daisy sorry. It's clear that based on what's been reported by media, there was a chain of command and Shanahan has always been very involved in moves, and moves even had to be signed off on by the board at times, it was apparently a frustration of Dubas' (I am no Dubas fan btw, just making that very clear). End of the day, he supported all the moves that were made. Also, Shanahan was going to bring Dubas back and even said in his press conference in 2023 that he was pleased with the work Kyle did, but only rescinded the offer last minute because Dubas tried to pull a fast one on him by sending him a reconstructed offer and orchestrated his own exit by having the Pittsburgh offer in his back pocket. It was also reported that Shanahan told the core 4 that they were all staying after Dubas was fired. So he is complicit in all of this, as everyone knew Marner's NMC was going to kick in by the summer of 2023 and Shanahan wanted to keep him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you set aside the continuing decline (in the playoffs) of Marner and (overall) of Tavares, this may well be the best team we've seen in years.

We still need to replace Bert, but the D is much improved, goaltending is probably better, we have a new (and almost guaranteed to be better) coach, and we didn't waste high picks and prospects.

With lots of time left before the season starts to address at least one of the problems, I'm reasonably optimistic.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
who was available to replace him? [legit question]
Coaching wise, not a lot I think.
However Barry Trotz was looking for a GM job and we had just fired ours. I would rather he had been given control over the operation. But Shanny run it like a political party. Maybe other moves would have been changed sooner.

Reactions: Al14

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If you set aside the continuing decline (in the playoffs) of Marner and (overall) of Tavares, this may well be the best team we've seen in years.

We still need to replace Bert, but the D is much improved, goaltending is probably better, we have a new (and almost guaranteed to be better) coach, and we didn't waste high picks and prospects as much.

With lots of time left before the season starts to address at least one of the problems, I'm reasonably optimistic.
That’s the sad part. Tre fixed the D and goaltending but can’t fix the top 9

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So we went from
Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Gio - Liljegren
Sandin - Lyub

To

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Holl
Gio - Liljegren
Schenn - Gustafsson

To

Rielly - Brodie
McCabe - Klingberg
Benoit - Liljegren
Edmundson - Lyubushkin
Lagesson

To

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
OEL - Benoit

How the f*** do we keep getting worse
Because we lost Muzzin to injury, and then hired a worse GM.

Reactions: danny90

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We've had better D than this in the past...

Goaltending is 2/3 the same as last year, we've changed backups.

How are things fixed?
When did we had better D in preseason?
Come playoffs time, yes.

Changing out Sammy is already addition by subtraction kind of like a few of the core. Trading them is addition by subtraction.

Are you one of those that just hate everything Leafs do?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Eh, that's semantics Daisy sorry. It's clear that based on what's been reported by media, there was a chain of command and Shanahan has always been very involved in moves, and moves even had to be signed off on by the board at times, it was apparently a frustration of Dubas' (I am no Dubas fan btw, just making that very clear). End of the day, he supported all the moves that were made. Also, Shanahan was going to bring Dubas back and even said in his press conference in 2023 that he was pleased with the work Kyle did, but only rescinded the offer last minute because Dubas tried to pull a fast one on him by sending him a reconstructed offer and orchestrated his own exit by having the Pittsburgh offer in his back pocket. It was also reported that Shanahan told the core 4 that they were all staying after Dubas was fired. So he is complicit in all of this, as everyone knew Marner's NMC was going to kick in by the summer of 2023 and Shanahan wanted to keep him.

i'm sorry i don't mean to be pedantic. and i will fall on the old "I don't know as much as I did before" card again. but from what I heard - every GM had autonomy. that Shanahan was involved (as any Pres/HockeyOP would be - but the end of the day the final word was the GM). if that is not the case - then I will stand very much corrected. I never really heard anything that all of a sudden Dubas wasn't allowed to make any kind of deal if he didn't want to. again if that's the case then i will of course reconsider my stance. (I don't really care for (or against) Shanahan. but i feel as the President - he basically has done what he said he was going to do in regards to making reactionary moves to make people happy. arguably - ditching Marner could very well be seen as that (since we almost ALWAYS pick someone to put all out frustrations on - this isn't saying Mitch isn't justified in getting some of the blowback either).

but thank you very much for going more in depth. I appreciate that :)

He's not the GM in name but there is reason to believe he has been the co-GM in practice, at least for the team's bigger roster moves.
see above. but thank you for explaining.

However Barry Trotz was looking for a GM job and we had just fired ours. I
that would have been interesting. he's running Nashville now, right?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
When did we had better D in preseason?
Come playoffs time, yes.

Changing out Sammy is already addition by subtraction kind of like a few of the core. Trading them is addition by subtraction.

Are you one of those that just hate everything Leafs do?

Not last year... last year was the worst our D has looked in years, that deadline was atrocious.

When Muzzin was on the team, that was our best.

I am just saying, I don't think the D is as fixed as some think.

No, I've liked some deals and think some are idiotic.

Are you one of those that just like everything the Leafs do?

Reactions: Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad