Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 114 60.3%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 65 34.4%

• Total voters

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
You guys are over reacting. Look, Leafs aren't going to win anything with Marner on this team eating up so much cap with little bite in his game. Ditto to a lesser degree with JT.

The differences between the two players are simple: JT was a free agent with offers for more money elsehwhere, Marner was an RFA. JT has some clutch goals in the playoffs, though too few, one was an OT series winner against TB.

Most importantly, JT, even if unhappy about it, accepted a lower role in the lineup. That is true leadership rather than ego.

So, all that said, don't expect the Leafs to win the Cup, maybe not even a round again until Marner is gone and JT is making significantly less or off the books. I'd offer him $4.5 for three years at the end of this contract. If not, time to move on I guess.

The Cap is expected to increase which is also a benefit to the Leafs.

It's very difficult to win a Cup in this league. They wasted some very good years without the Gamers in place to win a Game Seven. At least bring in the damn Gamers. Tanev was highly touted by teams, Leafs overpaid in tenure. It is what Brad felt was needed. He will have a coach who loves his style.

I say this, Leafs management better listen as we all have our ear to the ground on the fanbases anger; bring in the Gamers and tell Berube "no kid gloves for anyone. Not even a single game".

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What players? The Leafs core has failed every time they’ve been challenged. Every single time. They don’t belong in the conversation.
Cup totals the same for both. Oh my it’s the end of the world we only went to the 2nd round once. Not a lot of difference, in fact we are better than the Oilers but I suppose to some head to head regular season games mean squat.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
if Marner puts up 40 pts but struggles in game 6-7 of the finals Im pretty sure we would go easy on him. Not the same scenario in the slightest.
The Leafs core are not superstars, they’re followers. If Drai was healthy and was able to shoot they probably win the Cup. The Leafs so called leader laughed at getting rag dolled and getting his ass kicked by TTOE. The worst part about that loss or any other failure they’ve encountered, there was nothing he could have done about it.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Cup totals the same for both. Oh my it’s the end of the world we only went to the 2nd round once. Not a lot of difference, in fact we are better than the Oilers but I suppose to some head to head regular season games mean squat.
It’s all the big moments. He’s not good enough to do anything about it.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Our fan base is beyond stupid. Sorry for saying that but a very large % of our fan base can’t look big picture.

Heck, my favourite leading up to free agency (I did some too for fun) are the let’s do these 7 seven trades and sign these six guys. Viola!!! Not to mention over half the scenarios included last year’s salary figures. Then penciling in guys at 60% of what they signed for.

I don’t mind the signings in a vacuum and compared to other signings I saw.

The truth is, until we deal with Mitch and reallocate JT’s money, we are nothing more than a “ good team”.

I think after JT/Marner, it starts a 2-3 year last cup contending window for the Leafs. A lot things will need to go right, youth stepping up, goal tending, one more top 4RD and depth forwards.

Calm your boobs everyone, we aren’t winning the cup this year. Can’t fix everything in one off season.

Attachments

• 1719861277307.png
    1719861277307.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 1

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I finally voted. Since Marner is still a Leaf on July 1st, he has failed in his first year IMHO.

After the 3 stooges promised change, no real changes are taking place. Just some more shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

REAL changes are needed to this core, NMCs or not.

f*** you Pelley, Shanhan, and Treliving. We can't hold Dubas accountable forever !!!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
TSN deadline desk giving us an A, saying we've rebuilt our blue line with not much cap space, on a day when D men are a premium.

I agree. On paper our best D corp I can remember. Long term is an unknown, but we're in win now and we've definitely upgraded.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
TSN deadline desk giving us an A, saying we've rebuilt our blue line with not much cap space, on a day when D men are a premium.

I agree. On paper our best D corp I can remember. Long term is an unknown, but we're in win now and we've definitely upgraded.

1719869204223.png

Just look at the SIZE of these Giant Red Woods on Defense,

1719868986794.png

Brad Treliving Day #1 of UFA season A++++

Big, Mean and Mobile ... You knew it was coming. !!!!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Fully agree. The forward groups needs some work now and I am betting they understand that. Still a long way to camp and the start of the season, so I’m expecting moves will be made.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I finally voted. Since Marner is still a Leaf on July 1st, he has failed in his first year IMHO.

After the 3 stooges promised change, no real changes are taking place. Just some more shuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

f*** you Pelley, Shanhan, and Treliving. We can't hold Dubas accountable forever !!!
NMCs are a reality. If they didn't try, I would be disappointed. But I think they did try. Marner is probably asking for $13 million. There is nobody going to trade for that. And Tavares isn't going to waive. As long as neither are given a new deal, that is enough for me. I don't want Tavares at $6. I don't want Tavares at $4.

Reactions: Al14

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
NMCs are a reality. If they didn't try, I would be disappointed. But I think they did try. Marner is probably asking for $13 million. There is nobody going to trade for that. And Tavares isn't going to waive. As long as neither are given a new deal, that is enough for me. I don't want Tavares at $6. I don't want Tavares at $4.

i already brought that up. like throwing out FBombs that they didn't do what you wanted in two weeks after the cup was won (because remember most big moves never happen during the playoffs). and screaming how they failed makes no sense to me. and saying how we HAVE to do things irregardless of an NMC - like you know we can just ignore it and we're choosing not to is just being being childish if we're being frank - frustrated or not

Trading Marner would be a huge mistake....trade Nylander would be a lot better.
and why do you think so? (in both cases).

Reactions: socko

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
2nd verse, same as the first.

Tre has had a great day today.

Trading Marner would be a huge mistake....trade Nylander would be a lot better.
Hope he doesn’t compound that great day by giving Marner a 12+ million extension.
If we can’t trade him because he won’t waive or nobody wants him fine, don’t pay the overpay again. Did that, that’s enough.

Then it’s a great day.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
2nd verse, same as the first.

Hope he doesn’t compound that great day by giving Marner a 12+ million extension.
If we can’t trade him because he won’t waive or nobody wants him fine, don’t pay the overpay again. Did that, that’s enough.

Then it’s a great day.
Marner should be untouchable. Resigning him is a must.

Reactions: bax

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

:laugh:

The season doesn't start tomorrow ffs. Take a valium and relax dude.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Without a top pairing D and going with 2 3/4 or 2 5/6 it’ll be interesting to see if they can get the puck out of their own end.

Their D is much better than previous yrs and if they make the playoffs and Domi and McMann don’t get injured they could win a round.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He still hasn't made any significant offseason roster trades. That might change very soon but that's unheard of for a team looking for big change.

Some gambles this offseason so far... We will see how it pays off.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I always felt like I could start to assess Treliving once he was on the job for a full year. He joined at a tough time last year and I didn't love the Klingberg or Reaves signings at all. I thought Bertuzzi and Domi were good, but they sort of fell into his lap it seemed. I did like Benoit one at the time and I was glad he didn't give Samsonov term.

I thought he did well through the year and I was glad he signed Nylander and I don't think he could have got it done for less. I was very happy that he didn't mortgage any futures at the TDL. I did not think the team was one or two guys away from a deep playoff run.

Having said all of this, I was nervous about this off-season and his ability to make good moves. Obviously, time will tell but here are my grades

Keefe out. Had to happen and glad he did it. The extension last year was a move he had to make based on when he came in. I am glad it didn't stop him from making the necessary coaching change. B+ move

Berube and new staff. I like the choices. I think this change could be the most important but doesn't get a lot of attention around the draft and July 1. A-

Forwards. Bertuzzi out and Domi retained. The right choice of the two based on fit and dollars. We had to move money from F to D so I am OK with letting Bert walk. We need to open up ice time for Knies, McMann, Robertson, Holmberg and soon Cowan, Minten and Grebenkin to start contributing. We will see how he handles Robertson and I believe he adds another F. I think Skinner makes too much sense to replace the lost Bertuzzi goals. B (so far)

Defence. Brodie, Klingberg, and Giordano out. Lyubushkin and Edmundson out, but weren't here for long. Tanev, OEL and Haakanpaa in. These are great moves. All three. We got guys that appear to fit in and we didn't do stupid deals that we will regret. I think Tanev has the ability to make Rielly better and that should not be discounted. OEL could be very good for Lily (I am ok with that re-signing also), and Haakanpaa is a solid, solid depth piece that we normally acquire at the TDL. A-

Goalies. Stolarz can't be as bad as Samsonov was and he could be a very good 1B. I like the Murray signing too. I am good with the contract that bets on Woll also. I like him not playing for a contract this year. B+

Treliving gets a passing grade.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad