Brad Treliving- 1st year complete.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rate the first season based on your expectations.

• Exceeded my Expectations

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Met my Expectations

Votes: 115 59.6%
  • Failed to Meet my Expectations

Votes: 68 35.2%

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
On Friday May 31, Treliving marked his first anniversary as GM of the Leafs.

I thought last season would be a bit of a re-set/evaluation year and his impact would be seen more beginning this summer. He did have a few wins with some trades and signings but also a few disappointments.

What do you consider his best and worse move ?

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I like that the team was generally more physical and I like that he fired Keefe. I like that he didn't super overpay for a rental too.

I don't like the Nylander contract or our inability to find a goaltender to date, though part of those situations aren't his fault.

He has some major decisions to work through this offseason and to be honest I don't envy him for having to do it. However, he gets paid big bucks to do the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I like the overall vision and direction the team is headed in. What I especially like is that he was able to convince Benoit and McMann to sign reasonable contracts. In previous regimes we would be overpaying the heck out of those guys to stay.

Would not be surprised if when Shanny is canned Treliving is moved to President or he just becomes the President and GM

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
His best move was signing Jones.

Let that one sink in for a minute. The third string goaltender was, by far, the best move he made this first year. Which I guess makes going with Samsonov/Woll his worst move.

Considering one kept getting hurt, as expected, and the other stunk in the playoffs, as expected, I think that's accurate.

Knowledgeable fans were decrying goaltending from the beginning. The Leafs get "goalied" in the playoffs every year and the solution is to get even cheaper. Fans are sick from drinking out of the same well.

One body at the bottom of a well poisons the water.

And the corpses are piled deep in this one. As bloated as ML$E's bottom line. After last year's goaltending meltdown there's at least one more added onto the pile.

If Treliving wants to redeem himself this year he better finally fix the most important position in the game.

Reactions: danny90 and Zybalto

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
He didn’t do anything completely nonsensical. I think the Willy deal was steep but I also don’t fault him for that or other stars deals - every one of those is on Shanny imo.

As to how we played, I was impressed by our new supporting cast. Glad we are going to be playing a tougher brand of hockey. Get Mitch and JT out after this year and I have hope we can be a tough team to play against again.

Oh and get a bloody goalie for once in 20 years please. A real top 10 goalie. Not expecting it this season or even next cause that’s a tall ask but at least try instead of scraping the barrel.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Met expectations. Made some good moves , and some bad. Didn't do anything stupid.

Klingberg was obviously a bust but I think it showed Tre wanted to change the power play, which we all know isn't working right.

Reevo, good add, bad contract.

Domi & Bert good adds. Some skill , grit and heart in those guys. Good cap hits and term.

Didn't chase at the deadline, clearly was not a team to push all in with. Kept the draft picks.

Good adds with Edmundson, Boosh even Dewar.

I don't mind the Willy deal. He scores he shows up.

Tre seems to understand how the team needs to play to go to the next level.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I’m sure that’s on the to do list…….
Not good enough to just be on the to do list. Needs to get it done.

I mean, he gambled on Klingberg though. If you're going to gamble on Klingberg, it means you are aware of the severity of the situation.

I think it was game 3, Panthers won the draw. Tkachuk passes to Forsling who walks into the slot and places it beautifully top shelf.

Our D would have shot it into the parking lot.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I didn’t have high expectations and he did what I assumed he would do. Now he has big job to do and some extremely tough decisions to make to help alleviate the cap situation and build a competitive team.
He has to look at each individual and decide who goes and who stays. Marner seems like the logical choice, but he may not be the problem, it might just be Matthews.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I mean, he gambled on Klingberg though. If you're going to gamble on Klingberg, it means you are aware of the severity of the situation.

I think it was game 3, Panthers won the draw. Tkachuk passes to Forsling who walks into the slot and places it beautifully top shelf.

Forsling was a waiver pick up too lol. So it’s not impossible we just need to identify the right guys. Hell, that Bill Zito has put on a masterclass on how to assemble a team. Florida’s roster is a bunch of cast aways from other teams he got while their values were low.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This offseason is a big one for him. Is he actually gonna step up and make the necessary moves to change the culture of this team or is he gonna throw another year in the toilet by having unjustified faith in them.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Forsling was a waiver pick up too lol. So it’s not impossible we just need to identify the right guys. Hell, that Bill Zito has put on a masterclass on how to assemble a team. Florida’s roster is a bunch of cast aways from other teams he got while their values were low.
Mikkola and Tank embarrassed with the Rangers by NJ in round #1. Mikkola and Tank in SCF with Florida.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Exceeded by a lot honestly
+ Cowan
+ Domi at 3M was incredible
+ Bert was legit the best UFA on the market in high demand and somehow we landed him for no risk or term
+ Jones saved the season
+ Murray on LTIR saved the season
+ Benoit for free
+ McMann signing
+ Didn't give Sammy term
+ DeWar was a nice find
+ Signed Matthews
+Didn't go all in this year
-Klingberg was high risk and didn't work. Thus, we had to pay a lot of picks to replace him Lyubushkin and Edmundson. Klingbergs cap didn't hurt us but we still had to pay a ton to get those D here
- Nylander should've been signed in the summer. Brad signed him at the APEX of his value
- Lafferty trade was bad value
- Should've fired Keefe last year (dunno if this was on him)
- Overpaid Reaves but he was better than expected

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So far so good, my real opinion will be reserved for the start of next season, Tre can be a hero or a zero by then……
So far he’s brought in some snot and paid Matthews/Nylander more. If he does the same for Marner, that’s a fail for me.
If he moves him for a half way decent return and retools the team, he will have exceeded my expectations.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

The "skill" guy Liljegren would have shot it into the parking lot.

The goons put up muffins but they at least get it on net.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
So far he’s brought in some snot and paid Matthews/Nylander more. If he does the same for Marner, that’s a fail for me.
If he moves him for a half way decent return and retools the team, he will have exceeded my expectations.
Yes, I’m not a fan of the Nylander deal in regards to salary and timing of the signing, but I blame that on Shanahan, if it really was Tre who did that deal I’d say he’s not shown enough for me to be confident he can build the team proper. What happens with resigning Domi and Bert will be very telling and if Marner isn’t moved he’s going to look like a fool for letting another star walk. Of course Marner walking is better than resigning him to a awful contract imo………

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The worst regular season in a long time. Special teams were terrible. Same 1st round exit disappointment. Made a couple solid free agent signings, some were terrible. Rental trades were ok. Nylanders contract is too high and not enough term for Matthews, but McManns and Benoits extensions are pretty solid.

It was a failure season to me. We'll see what he can do to fix it.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
He made two big mistakes. Brought back Keefe only to fire him anyway. Went with Samsonov in the playoffs(6 and 14!). At the end of the day it was another failed season.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I liked the moves he made, even the ones that didn't pan out at least had some logic behind them (i.e. Klingberg). He didn't hand out any crippling contracts, signed guys to low risk deals with high potential, and added some good depth to the roster that was critical when they faced significant injuries middle of the year. He seems to have a vision for what he wants the team to look like and I think he just took the year to evaluate (also influenced by Shanahan) but I'm intrigued to now see what he will truly build.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I liked the moves he made, even the ones that didn't pan out at least had some logic behind them (i.e. Klingberg). He didn't hand out any crippling contracts, signed guys to low risk deals with high potential, and added some good depth to the roster that was critical when they faced significant injuries middle of the year. He seems to have a vision for what he wants the team to look like and I think he just took the year to evaluate (also influenced by Shanahan) but I'm intrigued to now see what he will truly build.
I think Reeves will look much better under Berube’s coaching, Chief will know how to properly deploy Reeves………

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad