News Article: Brad Marchand Named Captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There are other ways to get under a guy's skin than .....slew foot and we've seen him lean into those methods over the last few seasons. I'm not worried about him.
This is not what I meant. This is crossing the line. Especially slew foot...got him suspended.

But ... the trash talking....across from the bench. Going up to opposing player faces and not standing down etc.

Captains... aren't they suppose to be closer to Lady Byng?

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This is not what I meant. This is crossing the line. Especially slew foot...got him suspended.

But ... the trash talking....across from the bench. Going up to opposing player faces and not standing down etc.

Chara punched faces and smashed bodies. Captains don't all have to be clean cut Patrice Bergeron types.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I mean does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?

He’s the captain of a hockey team in a league where fighting someone is a 5 minute penalty and slashing someone with a stick is a 2 minute penalty unless it results in blood. It’s not like he’s the new CEO of a Fortune 500 company with billions of dollars worth of investors money on the line.

Personally in all my time watching hockey I don’t recall many instances, if any, hockey fans caring who an opposing teams captain is.

Congrats to Marchand, but for 99.9% of the hockey world, no one really cares except maybe some fringe lunatic Vancouver, Montreal or Toronto fans.

As long as the guys in the locker room are behind it then who really cares.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Messier was a captain. Chara was a captain. Terry O'Reilly was a captain.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Widely known for the many times he has colored outside the lines of the NHL rulebook, and caused the ever-polite Lady Byng to cover her eyes and plug her ears, Brad Marchand on Wednesday was bestowed the captaincy of the Bruins.

Marchand, 35, will wear the captain’s “C” high on his Black-and-Gold sweater, a reality he said strikes even him as “surreal,” and that’s a sentiment no doubt shared by the fandom of 31 other NHL teams and perhaps even a few fans here in the Hub of Hockey who might think there’s an established list of course requirements a player must complete prior to ascending to the “C” suite.

It is, without question, the dawn of a new Bruins era with the irascible, quick-tempered, face-lickin’, slew-footin’ Marchand as captain. In their century of doing business, the distant sons of Charles Adams never have had a guy quite like Marchand strutting the “C,” no one with his combination of guile, game, and, most important at this hour in franchise history, irrepressible ‘tude.

All of which is to say this is a good thing, the right move at the right time for the Bruins, a team very much in need of an emotional rekindling, or at least a shot of seltzer down their short pants. After last year’s record-setting 65-win regular season and subsequent face-plant in the playoffs, it’s a bunch that would do well to summon that unique, sometimes nasty Marchand juju that we have seen carry him from fourth-line rookie to premier NHL scorer.

Brad Marchand, captain of the Boston Bruins? No doubt, it sounds funny, and it’s probably generating chuckles on sports talk radio today in cities where they’ve grown to love booing the Li’l Ball o’Hate. For those many times he’s crossed the line, they’re entitled to their skepticism.

What would coach Jim Montgomery say to those skeptics?

“I would say he’s ours and we’re happy to have him,” said Montgomery. “That’s what I would say to them. We don’t concern ourselves with their opinions or their thoughts. We love what we have and so do our fans.”

We will see in the weeks, months, and maybe years ahead just what sort of thumbprint Marchand will put on what is now his team to guide. The stoic, stern, monastic Zdeno Chara demanded and commanded work and discipline. Patrice Bergeron, who will remain a Marchy confidant, defined his captaincy with sincerity, preached attention to detail, and had a keen intuition for reading the room, identifying how guys felt and what support he needed to offer.

Marchand is brasher and brassier than those two superb leaders. By simple osmosis, he’ll repurpose some of what Z and Bergy brought to the job. But he is a very different person and personality, smaller in stature and feistier in spirit. The messaging is guaranteed to be different.

“They led differently, in different ways, and I think there’s things you can implement in our group from both of those guys that were very effective. But I’m also not them, so I can’t do what they do.”

Exactly the point. Nor should he try. This is a team that needs a new approach, sitting right there to channel that Marchand ‘tude.

We’ve watched how he’s operated for 14 years. Like his game, he is not shy with his opinions. It’s a team that needs to hear from him, and it’s imperative that he makes clear the opinions to alternates/partners Charlie McAvoy and David Pastrnak.

General manager Don Sweeney noted the “method to his madness” when pondering Marchand’s well-known disciplinary issues through the years. That attitude and pushing the envelope — leading to eight career suspensions — forged the player that now wears the “C.”

“Now, again,” said Sweeney, “that needs to be tempered in every way, shape, and form. Both publicly, and how he comments on things, because he can shoot from the hip every once in a while, and he’s got to be a little more reserved in that approach — but not to take away from who he is as a hockey player, and how he grows and continues to evolve as a leader and a captain.”

All of that — most of it good, some bad, some ugly — has made Brad Marchand the 27th captain in Bruins history. Hard work, talent, chirp, and swagger have carried him a very long way. Now he’s officially in a position to make others follow.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Am I missing the outrage here? Marchand got named captain not GM right? We are just talking about the guy with the fabric letter C on his sweater who goes and talks to refs between plays and takes ceremonial puck drops. Not someone who is constructing teams right?

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
Brad does everything in his power to win hockey games... he is still elite at both ends of the ice, has scored some of the biggest goals in Bruins history, gives back to the community, and handles the press well. Every player on the other team is aware of him when he is on the ice cause he can hurt you on the scoreboard AND land you on the trainer's table. He is the first on the ice and the last to leave. Cashman and O'Reilly were both just as over the edge as Brad ever was... and they are beloved captains. I love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad