News Article: Brad Marchand Named Captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
bradlol.jpg

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
“Such an honor to someone who’s come from 4th line scrub 20 games 1 assist to a HOF career and captain of the greatest US based team in NHL history”

I remember when he first came up from P and played 4th line minutes. I wasn’t sure he was gonna make it, but look where he is now. I’m happy for him - with his hustle, grit and success over the years. He’ll retire as a Bruin , and that is fitting
I had him pencilled in for maybe 10 goals a year/ but was worried Claude would go get Steve Begin and Brad gets buried abd dealt. Thankfully he waited a few years

Reactions: lopey

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Assumed it would be Brad since, well, since he's the obvious choice. Tutored by Bergy and Z. Best all-around player on the team. Gets along with everyone on the team. First player willing to take up for a teammate on the ice. Comfortable communicating with coaches and refs. Said it earlier in the summer and will say it again: Brad is going to be a great captain. So proud as a Bs fan to see him wear the C. Now I can go ahead and order one of those glitter-free centennial third jerseys -- Marchand, 63, C. Let's get this season started!

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Congrats Brad!
Really the only choice. McAvoy may be future captain material, but it's not quite his time yet. Maybe if Marchand had retired.

Never would have thought the "Little Ball of Hate" was Captain material a few years ago, but he has matured, and I'll be curious to see if it affects his sometimes impulsive tendencies on the ice. I'm sure he'll carry on supporting and nurturing the culture that was built during the Chara-Bergeron years.

It's gonna be an interesting season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON BRUINS QUOTES
2023 Training Camp
September 20, 2023

BOSTON BRUINS PRESIDENT CAM NEELY…
On Marchand being named captain…
“Well, you know, when Patrice [Bergeron] let us know that he's retiring, shortly thereafter Don [Sweeney], Monty [Jim Montgomery] and I had a number of discussions about who we thought should be the next captain and why. Since my time in the organization, I've had Ray Bourque as captain, Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron. So, the things that those guys have in common were, not only were they great players - but they worked hard every day at practice and pushed their teammates to work hard. And Brad [Marchand] does that. He's learned that, and he’s had some good mentors, for sure. And he's come a long way in his career, both on the ice off the ice, maturity wise. So we felt he’d be a really good next captain for this organization.”

On what impresses him about Marchand’s growth…
“Yeah, I think he's realized trying to find that fine line of being the player that he wants to be, and controlling his emotions when he needs to. He's a very emotional player, so sometimes that gets you in trouble, which it has in the past for him. But he's done a nice job in last couple of years, in my opinion, of controlling his emotions a little bit better…while still being able to be that competitive player that we all like and respect with Brad's [Marchand] game.”

On his conversations with Marchand about the responsibility of being captain...
“Yeah, that was definitely a conversation that we had with Brad [Marchand] when we kind of came to the conclusion that he would be our next captain. We don't want him to change his game, because he's such a great player for us, and his competitiveness makes him a great player. You know, it was a long discussion about him not trying to be anybody that he isn’t, and just control his emotions - as he's done the last year or two, but still be that competitive player. And to lean on the leadership group. And we've had a number of players here that have played with Bergy [Patrice Bergeron], and some with Z [Zdeno Chara], where they… if they haven't learned anything from those guys, then shame on them. So, we’ve got a good leadership group that can help support Brad [Marchand].”

On the process of selecting a new captain…
“Yeah, based on the leadership group, we had discussions where we said, ‘Are some of these guys ready?” We just felt that Brad [Marchand] was probably the right choice for us at this time. But we did have discussions about all the players that are in that leadership group.”

On Marchand being part of the team that won the 2011 Stanley Cup...
“Well, when we have players that have won, and know what it takes to win, guys can certainly lean on that and learn from that other players. It’s an important part of the history of this franchise. And Brad [Marchand] being on that team, and how well he played in that series to win, especially the Vancouver series, it's a nice thing to have the luxury of a player that won the Stanley Cup in your lineup, but that wasn't the deciding factor.”

On bigger picture expectations and feelings as training camp is underway…
“Well, for me, it's opportunity. There's guys that should look at this roster and say, “I have an opportunity here,” really, it's going to be up to them. I mean, we've always had the mindset and have told the players if, you deserve to be here. We're going to make it happen. Sometimes it's not all that easy, but if you deserve to be in this lineup, you’ll be in the lineup. That's kind of what we're looking at. You know, as I addressed the players, I just asked them, what are you going to do to make the Boston Bruins better?”

On if his former self would be surprised that Marchand is now captain...
“Or that he’s still here? You know, it's quite a transformation of a player and a person. But it goes to his work ethic, his drive, and his determination. You know, to come from where he was, he was always a gifted player, but when he first got to Boston, he understood, “Ok I’m on the fourth line,” but in his mind said, “I'm not a fourth line player.” But, he accepted that role, and now you see where he's at. So, it's a testament to his drive, his determination, his compete level, and what he wants to be as a NHL player.”

On talking with Marchand about his temperament while playing...
“We've had a few discussions over the years. The thing about Brad [Marchand], he understands when and if he's done something that he probably shouldn't have. He understands that, recognizes it. So, I can certainly understand when your wires get crossed a little bit during the course of the game. And that's what I admire about the competitive piece, is just finding that fine line, which he's done. But it's been fun to watch him mature as a player, and as a person.”

On who will be the alternate captains...
“Yeah, we have Charlie McAvoy and David Pastrnak.”

On McAvoy and Pastrnak’s growth...
“Yeah, I mean, they've grown over the last few years. And they have been, they were a good part of the group last year with Bergy [Patrice Bergeron]. And I see that growing as this year goes along, and in future years. I mean, it's not just a one-person job to lead. You want everybody to lead in their own way, but having Brad [Marchand] have David [Pastrnak] and Charlie [McAvoy] with him is and certainly helpful, because they've kind of grown in the last couple of years and they're still going to grow.”

On how he addressed the end of last season with the team...
“Well, I think you can learn, no question. But also, I'm a big believer in, my rearview mirror is broken. So, you certainly can learn from the past, and take some things away from that. But the page has turned, and we’ve got a new season coming up.”

On roster changes...
“You know, when you lose players that have been here for any length of time, and especially special players, there's some kind of a transition. You don't always have the luxury of being able to have a player that just kind of takes it and fills that void. You know, as I referenced at the end of last season, we got a little glimpse of the lineup when we had Krejci [David Krejci] and Bergy [Patrice Bergeron] out in playoffs there. So, it gave us a little bit of a glimpse. We don't have the same team, obviously, as we did at the end of the year…but we've got guys that are very good hockey players in this club. Great goaltending, great defense. We've got some really strong offensive forwards. It’s just going to be a matter of everybody collectively pitching in and chipping in. You know, that’s what these guys have to be prepared to do.”

On the toughness the team has on its roster...
“I mean, you have to be tough to battle and compete for loose pucks. You know, the intimidation factor is not quite where we used to be. But playing tough hockey isn't dropping your gloves and fighting, playing tough hockey is battling for loose pucks, and just boxing guys out, making sure, from a defensive standpoint, that you're in the right lanes. You're trying to keep them on the outside and offensively you’ve got to get to the dirty areas, that’s part of being a tough hockey team to play.”

On how size will influence the team’s style of play...
“Well, I mean, probably a better question for Monty [Jim Montgomery]. But I think, we're still going to want to play fast, and that's just moving the puck fast, and getting in the right spots. And with that size, you better be inside.”

On if he ever thought Marchand would be captain...
“I don't know if there was a wager out there, probably no one picked that. But like I said, he's earned it. He's going to be a great leader for us.”

On Marchand’s relationship with the officials...
“I mean, I'm not down at ice level, so it's a little harder to see what kinds of interactions they have. But I know I've seen enough where he's making them laugh at times. So, that’s saying something, right?”

On what roles Bergeron might have in the future...
“I think he's happy being an Uber driver for the family, but it's something that we're certainly going to discuss with him.”

On having experienced players on the roster...
“Well, I mean, experience, obviously, knowing what you need, and what the game grind is all about. You know, hopefully it pays off at the end of the season in the playoffs.”

On the message that bringing in experienced players sends to younger players...
“Well, not really. Like I said earlier, if there's a player that deserves to be here, we'll figure out how to get them here. We want the best on the ice, so training camp is going to dictate who those players are, really. If I’m a younger player, you're always looking to take someone's job no matter who is in front of you, so you’ve got to take someone’s job.”

BOSTON BRUINS GENERAL MANAGER DON SWEENEY
On the decision to make Marchand captain...
“Maybe be one of the leaders. I think the Boston Bruins have done organization by committee. Leadership does not rest on any one shoulder, although Brad [Marchand] is well prepared to be in this position. I think he’d be the first to tell you it’s a privilege to be named captain and follow the in the footsteps of somebody that he was very close with and learned from. I think he’ll take a lot from these experiences that he's spent with Zdeno [Chara] and Patrice [Bergeron], and then he’ll be his own person. Brad [Marchand] has his own unique qualities that we all love. He may have to continue to grow in some areas and lean on other people. We fully expect him to do all those things because he was the right person at this point in time with what this organization is and he’ll do a fabulous job.”

On the extra responsibility of being captain...
“It will certainly be a challenge for Brad [Marchand]. You're hearing public comments, some referees have talked about Brad [Marchand] on the ice, and I think he has, for the most part found that balance. There were times this year, games three and four, with both Patrice [Bergeron] and David [Krejci] out of lineup that, you know, Brad really exhibited things that we think he'll need to continue to do as captain of the Boston Bruins. And his game didn’t drop off. Now, when you talk about 82 games, you’re talking about a lot of different things. Don't feel the weight, you know, don't feel all that weight. You got to spread that around and utilize all the other people as a reference. With Charlie [McAvoy] and David [Pastrnak] being named the alternate captains, you’ve got Brandon [Carlo] and we brought in [Kevin] Shattenkirk and James [van Riemsdyk], players that have been leaders on their teams and will allow other people to grow, as their responsibilities have now changed and grown. I think Brad’s well equipped to handle all that. He knows there are resources in place to help him and he's got to find his own way, as all great players and great leaders have to do.”

On what stood out about Marchand’s evolution as a player and as a person…
“I've been, on site and part of this organization with Brad [Marchand] when he was drafted and a part of development when he was in junior, through Providence, and through his ascension to be one of the best left wingers in the National Hockey League. So, I’ve really seen Brad [Marchand] mature on and off the ice. The drive, the passion he has for the game and this organization. He has worked on his own game, to the Nth degree, surrounded himself, put himself in situations to train with the greatest players in the world because he wanted to be one of the greatest players in the sport. So, he deserves a lot of credit for that. He carved out his own opportunities playing in a fourth line role and then realizing that he was going to be a Stanley Cup Champion and playing in a top six role. So, he's earned everything and he wants to take this next step. As I said, I think he’d be the first to acknowledge it’s a privilege for him to be named the captain of the Boston Bruins”

On his level of concern with Marchand’s history…
“Collectively the organization just felt that Brad [Marchand] was the perfect person to step into this role. As I said, he's earned that, he’s aware, he’s cognizant of the things that come with it, as I referenced the weight associated with it. I think he'll do a better job. Part of Brad [Marchand], is to recognize that Zdeno [Chara] and Patrice [Bergeron], there are things in the game that he's trying to drive himself and drive his teammates, that was part of his method to his madness. Now again, that needs to be tempered in every way shape or form both publicly and how he comments on things, because he can shoot from the hip every once in a while. Now he’s got to be a little more reserved in that approach, but not to take away from who he is as a hockey player. As I said, how he grows and continues to evolve as a leader and a captain.”

On Marchand becoming captain and a prolific scorer in the NHL...
“I don't think I'm surprised by either to be perfectly honest with you, knowing how driven he was. Now again, he's five-foot-nine, so you realize that the laws of physics apply, the rules of the game adapt and change. And he took advantage of those rules. And he evolved as a player, just like he has stepping into this leadership role. He's learned and been surrounded from some great leaders and great people that I think he's drawn from his resources. He's going to have continued resources around him internally and externally that he can continue to draw from and he's evolved both on and off the ice as a person, as a father, as a human and I think it's a tribute to the internal drive that he has. I just don't think he was going to be denied. Everybody aspires to be as good as he's become and not all of us get there. So, you know, it's that unique that he's able to ascend to that level.”

On who Marchand will look to for leadership inspiration...
“All the above. People that are currently in that locker room with him, those are primary resources that he has, but also external resources. Patrice [Bergeron] is still one of his best friends. He’ll lean on people because he's smart enough to realize, you know, he’s not doing this thing alone. And he'll be the first to tell you this will be a collaborative effort, as I referenced with Charlie [McAvoy] and David [Pastrnak] in their own right, taking leadership roles both on and off the ice as primary players for us and then tapping into the leadership group, which we've always had here. And that'll be a collective process.”

On how much he has seen Pastrnak and McAvoy lean on the team’s leadership...
“Yeah, on the surface they may look like they're deferring a little bit, but you can tell that people are gravitating towards those players both on and off the ice. And again, that's acknowledgment of them and their ascension as players generally, but also as people and community based and what their willingness is to be good teammates. And I think that those two guys are really excited about their expanded roles both on and off the ice. And that says a lot because they're obviously primary players for us and sometimes wearing a letter and being in that leadership group, there's a responsibility that comes with it. And they're excited about that as well.”

On seeing players step up when many leaders were unavailable during the playoffs…
“Yeah, again on and off the ice, knowing that during start of the year with Charlie [McAvoy] and Brad [Marchand] both out for extended periods of time, David [Pastrnak] was just so excited to have David Krejci back on his line and just be motivated. Now, one of his best friends and teammates has retired and he's equally as excited about the opportunity to play with Pav [Pavel Zacha] and to be acknowledged as one of the best right wingers in the game and then go back up what he just did. So, I think that says a lot about the drive and I reference it with Brad [Marchand]. Great players aspire to continue to be great, but also to have added responsibility off the ice. And both he and Charlie are welcoming that.”

On how important the leadership component is in a transitional year…
“The expectations internally have not changed for this hockey club. And I think each of those players I referenced, whether it’s Brandon Carlo, [Hampus] Lindholm, there's plenty of guys that are really excited. People on the outside might view it as a void in the passing, so to speak, of what other people and great players had done in the past. They get to step into those and not that they've been in the shadows, but they've been learning and realizing that they want that added ice time and added responsibilities and again, as I reference on and off the ice. That's evolution as every team goes through. We’re fortunate enough to have players that are really excited about that opportunity.”

On contract negotiations with DeBrusk…
“We’re going to have communication with Jake and his representation. We’dlike to know if Jake indeed does want to be here and hopefully, we can find common ground. Besides that, you guys don't know enough. I’m not going to comment on anything publicly. And we'd like to see you see Jake remain with the Boston Bruins.”

On DeBrusk’s ability to elevate his game…
“Jake [DeBrusk] deserves a lot of credit. He put all those things aside and just went out and performed and was on pace for a really and had a really good year. But even more so, battled through a couple of different injuries and came back and played well again. So, I think that's Jake's maturity both also player as a person and he’s an important part of our club. We hope him to have the season we expect him to do. He's going to be a big part of that.”

On balancing opportunities for veterans and younger players…
“Well, that was the first message that I talked to the group today about. Training camp is the ultimate opportunity for every player in that room, whether you're on a PTO or whether you're an established player. You make hard decisions in this business. We want players. Jakub Lauko is a great example from last year and A.J. Greer is another good example from last year. They just made sure that the decision was really hard on us and rightfully so. They played well. And everybody in that room should realize that they can be next. And, internal competition is the best thing for a hockey club to have; to withstand injuries that may or may not come, but also, push each other to be better. People talk in reference to leaving spots open; it's hard to keep a player out of the National Hockey League if they’re good to play here, anywhere. That's what needs to soundly resonate with each and every player. If they're good enough to play, they're going to play for the Boston Bruins because we want the best team on the ice.”

On whether Marchand’s growth is inspirational for other players...
“I hope so. And I hope that everybody can identify Brad's one of the best left wingers in the National Hockey League. He had prolific numbers in junior and great numbers in the American Hockey League. It took a little while to establish himself. He started out as a fourth liner wearing a jersey and wore it with pride. He never put himself in that classification that that’s just where he was going to play. He always had these higher aspirations, and every player should. Just get your foot in the door, ingratiate yourself and be the best player you can be. We’re going to provide the resources and the opportunity, as I referenced. But you’ve got to take somebody’s job. I mean, that’s what you have to do in the National Hockey League, you have to literally take somebody’s job. Nobody's going to hand you one and nobody handed Brad one. He earned it. And I think every player, every young player, or every player coming in here should realize that that's just how the business works. If you aspire to a highly competitive organization, that's what you have to breed. You have to breed the internal competition.”

On if everyone is present at training camp and healthy…
“Everyone is accounted for and healthy and ready to go for tomorrow.”

On players executing Jim Montgomery’s system last year…
“Well, going through the coaching search and having the opportunity for other people to break down how we had played and the successes we had had to date. It was an interesting process. People aren't telling you what you want to hear. They're telling you where you have to improve and then and build upon what you currently have within the framework of the players you have. Monty [Jim Montgomery] was no different in that regard, but I think you saw it lead into our game and the encouragement of our defense to be much more active and involved. Our transition game, when we're playing well, we were playing fast. We want to continue to do that. Managing pucks and puck possession and building your team game are all elements that Jim [Montgomery] strongly believes in. As a coaching staff, we reinforce without sacrificing hopefully too much defensive structure and not to be giving up a trade chance mentality, even though we felt last year we were pretty well equipped to play in a different style. We wanted to try and dictate the game. Obviously, we had good goaltending, which is a big part of giving you some confidence to do some of those and implement some of those things. He wants to continue to build on that; instilling confidence in players to play with an offensive, creative mindset, but certainly be defensively aware and manage the game effectively.”

On Montgomery’s ability to pitch strategy to players…
“Jim is a pretty open communicator; a consistent communicator on an individual level and a team wide level. He reinforces the principles that he believes in. Also, positive reinforcement I think is an area that he is really good at, to sort of try to prime a player to understand that they believe in him as a staff, they believe in that player. But you can still get areas that you have to have principles and core values that we have to adhere to and accountability, taking away ice time and opportunity, that's generally how Jim views things. At times it certainly hit the blender early on, moving some players around and sending a message to the group that he didn’t like maybe how they started, but the next day is a bit of a reset and he'll communicate that effectively. So, I think the staff has an understanding of how they want to approach things and reinforce, as I said, the systematic things and changes they want to implement and evolve. They spent a lot of time this summer going back over the things that went well and things that didn't and then try and improve upon the areas that we need to.”

On his takeaways from last season...
“There are always areas that you're going to learn from. Scar tissue is what it is and it exists in each and every one of us and we take the disappointment and apply it going forward. The expectations, I said, they don't change. We didn’t expect to win 65 games last year I don’t expect to win 65 this year. But, I do expect us to be a highly competitive team from day one and to take the approach that we're going to be a tough out each and every night and wear that jersey with pride. That’s what this organization is trying to stand for. We’ve fallen short and last year's a great example of that. So, the rear view mirror is generally like hindsight, right? It's 2020. But, eyes are forward, everybody has a job to do and there are expectations that come along with them.”

BOSTON BRUINS HEAD COACH JIM MONTGOMERY...
On Marchand’s reaction when he found out he was named captain...
“I think honored and grateful would be the two best adjectives, I think in the moment, and he expressed those.”

On what he learned from Marchand when Bergeron was not available during the playoffs...
“Well, we learned how it was kind of his room. I think people looked to him and he assumed it. That’s what we learned there. But, I would think over the course of the whole season last year, I learned that, he's more than capable. He's going to be an excellent captain.”

On the responsibility of the captaincy not affecting the way Marchand plays the game…
“Yeah, I think he's aware. It's been communicated to him, whether it was Cam [Neely] or Don [Sweeney], and that's really important, that he's himself. When I look at Brad [Marchand], first of all, he respects and honors the tradition of the Spoked B and all the great leaders that have come from it, whether it's [Bobby] Orr, [Phil] Esposito [Johnny] Bucyk, Wayne Cashman, going into [Ray] Borque and [Cam] Neely and then you know, Z [Zdeno Chara] and Bergy [Patrice Bergeron]. Not only does he respect the footprints that they've laid for this organization, but I think he's also going to lay his own footprints, not just follow, because that's the way he's wired. And that's why he's the right choice to be our captain right now.”

On what he learned from Marchand last year...
“What I love is his competitive nature on the ice. When I got here, I didn't realize that that was an everyday occurrence, whether he's in a weight room, or when he speaks, there's emotion to the way he speaks. I think just the way he speaks, and also the way he goes about practicing, and in games, he does drag people naturally into the fight. I also think he's the kind of person that will initiate; not having an issue commanding the room vocally. I don't think it's going to be something that is forced. I think it's going to be natural and I don't think it's going to be overdone.”

On how Marchand has learned to communicate with officials...
“Yes, and that comes with maturity, though. When you're a person that thrives on your own emotion, it also is your worst weakness. And I can really relate to that with Brad [Marchand]. I think with Brad [Marchand], he's learned. He learned with experience how to use that and how not to become obsessed with it, either, where it goes the other way on you. And it's going to happen, it happens to everyone. It happens to coaches every year, where we lose a gasket and we can't recover. And that's alright, that happens. You have to be who you are. And I really like who Brad Marchand is as captain of our team.”

On being impressed by Marchand’s personality...
“Significantly, and he's quick witted too. You better have a lot of bullets in your chamber when you're going to go toe to toe with him.”

On what he would say to other team’s about selecting Marchand as captain...
“I would say he's ours. And we're happy we have him, that’s what I would say to that.”

On other team’s impressions of Marchand...
“Yeah, we don't concern ourselves with their opinions or their thoughts. Like I said, we love what we have. And so do our fans, to your point.”

On McAvoy and Pastrnak taking on leadership roles...
“Well, I think for the three of them, it’s their team now. And I think both of them are not only ready, but they're looking forward to it. And it also has a trickle-down effect, into Brandon [Carlo], [Hampus] Lindholm, and [Matt] Grzelcyk, JD [Jake DeBrusk], Pavel [Zacha], [Charlie] Coyle, now they become the support group along with… we got Looch [Milan Lucic] back. That's a huge leadership person, so the support from the top trickling down, the trickle-down effect here is great. And I think everybody's kind of been groomed, and they've been watching great leaders before them.”

On options for top six jobs…
“I think we're going to put people in situations with lines, and especially in games…and we'll move people around and give people different opportunities to show us what they have. We're trying to give every player an opportunity. And there's tons of opportunity this year to become a Boston Bruin. And the players that perform the best are going to earn the right to wear a Bruins jersey starting on October 11.”

On the balance between older and younger players...
“I think what we try to do here, is the people that earn the right… that are going to help us win hockey games. A young guy is not going to be denied an opportunity if he's the best player that's going to help us win. Same thing with that, if they're showing that their game is the best qualities that's going to help build our team game. Because in the end, especially when we're looking at third and fourth line players, we need guys are going to build your team game that we could use to play our team game, build it, and create momentum for us. The same thing with defense, who are going to be the ones that can make plays that help us offensively and defensively, and build the team?”

On if he has any expectations for new players...
“No, I always go into camp very open minded. We're looking for surprises, right? It's not only surprises this year with who's going to make the team, but it's also who's going to be able to handle more minutes. There’s minutes to be earned here within the guys that we expect to be on the team.”

On what makes a good captain...
“Someone that is true to who he is, is genuine, and isn't afraid to be vulnerable. I think all the best captains do that… doesn't matter if you're a stoic leader, or you're loud leader, a leader by example, or super competitive. You just have to be yourself.”

On the importance of captains' practices...
“Well, we've just become accustomed to the guys coming into camp in great shape. And that's why it camps have gone from six weeks to five weeks, to four weeks, to three weeks, now, you know, before we play. It's amazing, like, you know, as coaches we go through the days of training camp, and what we're trying to accomplish, and every year it seems like it's about we don't have time we don't have enough time. You know, really by the end of 12 days you're ready, you know as to who your team is and where you're going.”

On what John McLean adds to the coaching staff...
"Well, you know, one he is a former defenseman, two, to the skill development
portion of it working on developing players within the season with their individual skills specifically that translate to how to grow Bruins hockey systematically. So, there's going to be, he's going to working on, not only your skating, your shooting, your passing, you know, but not only puck protection and pivoting for defenseman say, but he's going to be combining that with how it plays out in game situations for our team, which I think is going to get players reps of improving their skill development within our team game, which hopefully makes them better and makes it easier.”

On any anticipated changes to the team’s style of play...
"Well, yeah, well, I mean, we think we're going to have to spend more time working on D-zone coverage, just so that we maintain our high level of play in the D-zone. But we also think, you know, we're not changing much to how we play. We want to play fast, there's areas we think we can play faster in. And we think there's areas that we can be more physical. And we just think honing in on details of certain areas of our game will make us better offensively and defensively.”

On what he knows about Morgan Geekie as a player...
"Well, I just know that, you know, his best traits are his competitiveness, and his hockey sense. He’s got a real good brain for the game. So, I think that's a great place to start. I think those tools are important pieces. Then, he's got size, right. And he's got soft hands. So that's what we've seen, you know, now we're going to get into situations where we see how quickly he you know, applies our teaching and becomes, you know, a fast player for us within our systems.”

On if he expects Trent Frederic to play center...
“I don't. I do think, you know, I really, really like Trent [Frederic] on the wing. He likes scoring and he likes puck protection, and he’s got big heavy body for wall play. So, and I think, you know, having spoken to him over the summer, that's where he's comfortable playing. Again, I like to put players in situations where they're most comfortable, and they can thrive, we aren't going to ask him to focus on draws to work on draws. Because we only have you know, a couple of left shot forwards right now that are comfortable taking draws and if we started getting one off top, [Pavel] Zacha, if he's going left shot center, well, we're going to need somebody else, you know, in certain situations to get out there, which is going to help him increase his minutes.”

On Trent Frederic working in a special teams role...
"Yeah, we want him to earn a spot. You know, that's the opportunities we're talking about buying minutes. He's one player, Greer’s [A.J. Greer] no different. You know, and just like we do we expect [Pavel] Zacha and [Charlie] Coyle to handle more minutes. How do they handle those minutes? Right, the wear and tear on them? Those are things that we're going to be looking at besides the guys that normally play your 18 to 20 minutes.”

BOSTON BRUINS CAPTAIN BRAD MARCHAND…
On his reaction to officially being named captain...
"Yeah, it was honestly my answer before, I think that, you know, it's not something that I tried to focus too much on over the summer. You know, we, Bergy [Patrice Bergeron] and Z [Zdeno Chara] did an incredible job of incorporating a lot of different guys in the leadership group, that they empowered and gave, you know, decision-making at different times, you know, to help with different things throughout the year. And I think because of that, we've built something much larger than just, you know, a captain, a couple of assistants, within our group. And regardless of who wears the 'C' for this team, we have a lot of really good leaders that are dependent upon and relied upon throughout the year and with different things. So, you know, I am extremely proud and honored and it means more to me than I think anyone will ever know. To be able to wear a 'C' for this team. You know, when you look at the leaders that have been here before me, and the guys that I've been fortunate enough to, to be under, they take an incredible amount of pride and everything that they can possibly lead into this team, they do. And it's been incredible to see, but I see the work that goes in doing that, and I've seen it. And, you know, I've been vocal in the past of, you know, the ages of different captains and stuff like that and I really believe that I've witnessed two of the best leaders of all time, being in this organization, leading this team. And to do that, you know, it is a full-time job. You know, without counting the time and effort that you need to put into your own game, but what those guys, the effort and the time that they put in behind the scenes every single day, you know, they carry on all through the night. You know, it's all in mind, every single second of the day of how to improve the team and how to find different ways to bring groups together and, and to continue to build the culture that they, you know, they started here. So, there's big shoes to fill, and I'm excited for the opportunity. It's an incredible gift to be part of this organization. You know, and I try to continue that legacy that those guys have built, been doing everything I can to continue that."

On being mindful of the emotion he plays with...
"Yeah, you know, it's something that I'm going to have to, it's going to be continued working progress. You know, I definitely don't expect to step in and be perfect off the hop. But you know, I do play with a certain type of passion and emotion, and I won't lose that, that's just who I am. And you continue to do that, to be a good player in this league. It's allowed me to be successful, and I don't want to get away from that. But there is definitely in you know, I just alluded to it, the guys that I've seen with this team, the effort that goes into it. You can do it many different ways. But the way that I've seen and the way that I feel, they've done an incredible job and they do it, they've done right. And the entire organization benefits from that because you're not just building something for today and tomorrow, you know, we're trying to build something for the next group of guys to continue to lead on. So, we're building a culture of wanting to stay and to remain the same. I have a lot of pride in that. And so, it's going to be an incredible amount of work and there's a lot of pressure, you know. I'm not sure you know, for the team, the expectations for the group, but for myself, and I think that's what they're a little bit concerned about. But, you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. That's what comes with wearing a letter was on this team, especially the 'C.' So, it's, you know, something I'm looking forward to, to figuring out and trying to work through as a group. But I think that that's where you rely on the guys around you. And, again, we've got a great leadership group in here and brought in a couple of new guys that that, you know, have been through some big situations that I plan on working with really closely and you know, trying to build something special."

On the moment he found out he was named captain...
"Yeah, so Monty [Jim Montgomery] told me that we're going to be going to dinner. And, you know, I was kind of hoping it was the conversation that I was hoping to have with them. But you never know, until, you know, maybe they were trying to let you down easy. So, I was trying not to get my hopes up. But, you know, we kind of sit down at dinner and anxiously waiting for him to bring it up and we're talking small talk and stories from the past and, and what not just kind of, you know, having a conversation. And then, you know, a little quiet and I want to know, what's happening. So, I said, "What are we doing here?" And then, you know, it kind of, Cam spoke up and brought it up and kind of let me go and then Sweens [Don Sweeney] and Monty [Jim Montgomery] both spoke after that. And, you know, I, again, I was extremely proud and honored, a little relieved. You know, at the end of the day, we have a lot of guys that it could go to and that are deserving. But I did want it, and you know, was hoping to have the opportunity. There's, you know, when you look at the guys that have played this organization, what they've done, again, the legacy that is built, you know, I take pride in what I do, and I wanted the opportunity to be a part of that, that group and to try to build something special with this team."

On fitting in with the list of past captains...
"Yeah, they're, it's an incredible group of names. You know, and I've been adamant about this in the past, I don't put myself in that group. But, you know, I think the one thing that I have always done is that I've worked really hard at trying to accomplish everything that you know, everything I set my goals on, and if I get something in my mind that, you know, I'll do everything I can to achieve it. And that's the same with this is I know, that those guys are some of the best leaders that ever played our game, not just in our organization, and there's a lot of work to be done personally, off ice. But as a group and I, I believe this wholeheartedly that we we want to achieve what Bergy [Patrice Bergeron] and Z [Zdeno Chara] and [Ray] Bourque and what Chief [Johnny Bucyk] have been able to do for this team, not through one person, it's going to be a collective effort. You know, and I have a ton of trust and belief in the group that we're going to assemble to kind of attack this thing together. So, it'll be a collective thing and we're all going to benefit from it. So, it'll be fun."

On what it was like seeing his jersey with the 'C'...
"Yeah, it was surreal. It almost felt weird to see the jersey. You know, the guys you see wearing the 'C' are the best to ever play the game, so sort of looked out at it, mine and put it on. It was a different feeling. You know, I think I was kind of thinking about it the other day. You know, when you grow up, like you dream about being the NHL and you know, making it and then you get here and just want to stay so you do everything you can to stay and I don't think at any point I've ever, maybe up until last year did I ever think there was a possibility to be in a position to wear a 'C' and you know, they're just, those are almost like the unattainable things. You know, there's like 30 guys in the league that wear one and that usually wear them for a long time. So, as a kid you never think that things like that are possibilities. You know, you're, you're dreaming of being the 0.1% just to make the NHL, 0.1 of the 0.1% to wear letters. So, you know, for that to all become a reality, you know, when you see that, it's, it's pretty special. You know, it's like people ask what it's like to win a cup, you can't explain it, you know, and that's kind of another thing that goes into that category. It's tough to explain the feelings that I felt. But very, very proud and honored. For sure."

On where he went to dinner with Cam Neely, Don Sweeney and Jim Montgomery...
"We were at one of Cam's [Cam Neely] go to spots, Sorellina. In the Back Bay Area."

On realizing that becoming captain was a possibility...
"Yeah, you know, it, it's funny that you asked this question today, because I really thought about it, pretty, pretty hard this morning, when I was driving to the rink about kind of how this all happened. You know, again, it's not something that you ever expect. And you know, my brother said something to me, when I when I told him you know, he said something along the lines of like, four or five years ago, everybody hated you, you know and now, you know, you're turning around, you're the captain of the team. Like, it's pretty incredible the way that things change. And, you know, I, perhaps that incident with [Ryan] Callahan was kind of one of those moments where, you know, I realized that it kind of was getting away from me a little bit. At the time, I don't think that really kicked in and, you know, made me change at that point in time. But I think over the next couple of years, it definitely changed, it was part of the discussions that were about changing what my legacy was going to be and something that Z [Zdeno Chara] taught me a lot about. And when Bergy [Patrice Bergeron] became captain, I was alongside him every day. And that's really where I got to see what it takes to be at that next level. You know, I spent a lot of time in Z [Zdeno Chara] before that, but not the same amount. When I got to see, really, to another extent, what he was doing as a captain, how he carried himself and the things that he was making important for himself to focus on every day that were going to benefit the group that I you know, I realized that there was, you know, some things that I needed to work on myself. And if I ever want to be at that level, and because it's, you know, everyone looks at the guys around the league. And there's a reason that guys like Sid [Sidney Crosby] and Bergy [Patrice Bergeron] and Z [Zdeno Chara] and guys in the past who have played 15-20 years that have accomplished everything, there's a reason for it. It's because of the effort that they put in away from the rinks that nobody sees. About every little detail of their life and what translates into their game and what they accomplish at the rink. So, as I started to see more and more of that, you know, I started to care more about it, and realized that I needed to implement that too"

On what his younger self would think...
"Again, you know, I was just trying to survive every day. It's incredible the way that your mindset changes from that first year and when you just climb to stay here and every day you come to the rink you're worried about if you're getting sent down or you have a bad practice, if you're not going to be playing the next day, then you know, now we're concerned about what we're going to build as a group and you know how we're going to accomplish the goals that we want to achieve this year. And it's incredible. Yes, if as a 23-year-old I went and told myself I'd be captain one day, you know, I definitely would not have bet any of that. So, it's, it's pretty, pretty incredible."

On how long he plans to play...
"I'd like to play as long as I can. You know, to be the short answer. We're never in control of our bodies, and some of the things that stop you from playing. But, you know, I respect every, each and every player's decision to do like, everybody has a different goal and different things that they set out to do when they start playing. You know, different things we look forward to, but personally for me, you know, and I've talked to a lot of guys about this in the past that are retired. If I ever told myself when, if I could look back when I was 10 or 12-years-old, and I wanted to play in the NHL, and then you know, I'll talk to my, whatever, 38, 39, 40-year-old self and I had the choice to play and I didn't take it, you know, I think that 12-year-old was smack him in the face. You know, it's, it's a gift and, and privilege, playing with this team and playing for this league. And, you know, it's not one I take for granted. You know, I see every day the kids that come in here, and that are just hoping for one, one chance, one sniff and some of them never get it. And I know the effort that goes into being able to play here and stay here and, you know, the blood, sweat and tears that we've all put in over the years to, to be in this league. So, to walk away from it, by choice, I feel like it'd be a little bit of a disservice to, you know, to what I've tried to build for myself. But at the same time, you know, there's different situations that come up, that you need to assess every year as, you know, as a player and as a person as a parent. And, you know, at the point in time, where, you know, if my body starts giving me too much and you know. I still feel really good and happy with where my hands at so, you know, a few years down the road we'll reassess, but to make a long-winded answer a little shorter I'll play for a long time."

On what he wants his legacy to be as captain...
"Yeah. You know, I think initially, when I thought about it, you know, there's been a lot of emotions in the last few days, and a lot of thoughts went through my mind. But again, I know, I've said I've seen two of the best leaders, leading in this game, come through here. And you know, I'd love for my name to be beside theirs in that category when, you know, when I'm when I'm done. But again, you know, I've been fortunate enough to see the way that, they lead differently. And they lead in different ways. And I think that there's things that you can implement in our group from both of those guys that were very effective, and that they thrive in. But, you know, I'm also not them so I can't do what they do. But you know, I just want to try to find our own path as a group. And, again, I, you know, I try not to use the way that I wouldn't do it, because I really believe that the most effective way, we're going to achieve things as a group is as a, you know, as a good leadership core. But at the end of the day, you know, it comes down to I think what's important, obviously, you want to want to win and you want to have success, but I think the way the guys view you as a leader and as a teammate is what's important, and that's what I want to try to do is I'll build something special for our group."

On if he's thought about receiving the Stanley Cup from the commissioner...
"No, I haven't thought about that. But it's something I really didn't remember it was part of the job until you just brought it up. Yeah, I really don't get caught up in thinking about things down the road. A perfect example is last year, you know, you can't get caught up in what's ahead of you and you've got to be in the moment. Just I'm so grateful for this moment right now. And for each and every day that's about to come up. So, I was looking at that. There's so much to do with the interim, like right now that I can't even think down the road."

On how he has seen David Pastrnak and Charlie McAvoy grow...
"Yeah, they've been awesome. You know, I think you'll see both of their games, where they've come to, and I think that they're at a great spot to take that next step. It almost, you know, worked out really well with the transition from, you know, some of the leadership guys leaving to those guys been ready. Their games are just completely different level right now and two of the best players in the game. So, at that point, it's a lot easier, start taking on more responsibility and more pressure, and they've done a great job with that, you know, they really focused on themselves and did a great job and getting where it needed to be. There's still room for improvement for all of us, not just them, but you know, we still expect them to be better than they were last year, which is kind of scary to think about. But yeah, off the ice, they feel very confident. I think, taking control of situations and speaking up and, you know, helping guys through different things. So, you know, they're at a great time to be able to continue to build on that. And so I'm very thankful and grateful that, you know, we're even going through it together."

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The right decision. Even 5 years ago I would have been very skeptical, but Brad has really matured of late and the 'C' is well deserved and he's the natural pick to follow Bergy. He's still going to have to be careful in channelling his emotion, which can be an asset, in the right ways, as even last year he still took the odd dumb penalty and that really needs to be avoided as Captain. But I think he will - it's clear what this means to him and I'm sure he'll honor the legacy and position and prove a very good leader, which in reality he's already been for a number of years.

Congrats Marchy!

Reactions: DKH and Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The right decision. Even 5 years ago I would have been very skeptical, but Brad has really matured of late and the 'C' is well deserved and he's the natural pick to follow Bergy. He's still going to have to be careful in channelling his emotion, which can be an asset, in the right ways, as even last year he still took the odd dumb penalty and that really needs to be avoided as Captain. But I think he will - it's clear what this means to him and I'm sure he'll honor the legacy and position and prove a very good leader, which in reality he's already been for a number of years.

Congrats Marchy!
Yeh 5 years ago I don’t see it

I think he will be a great captain

One thing he has is a sense of humor - that comment he loves all his opponents now because Sweeney traded for everyone he hates- Bertuzzi, Hathaway, and Orlov

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Congratulations to Marchand for the privilege to wear the C. I'm confident with his growth and commitment to performance he will do a good job with the team and lead them well.

What a journey from the "rat" to a legit bonafide "C" material. Shows what you can make of yourself if you start doing it the right way.

The other positive to this is I expect him to let the guys be fiesty and not turn the other cheek which will be needed given the roster depth and blue collar game they are going to need to play to have a chance at the playoffs this year.

Reactions: lopey

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
This feels full circle to me. From fourth line (providence really) to Captain (and all the antics inbetween :sarcasm:)

Brad is a player we’ve see grow so much in so many ways. I’m proud of him.

There was no one else in my eyes. It was always him once bergy left.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad