Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
I really hope the Thunderbirds coach (or Moose) can help get his head on straight so he can make the next step. Was really pumped to get him at 30

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He did not look happy in the handshake line last night. I have to say, I simply cannot hate team Finland. They've become our prime international rival but I just have so much respect for their game. Probably because it's so Canadian haha.
I don't see Finland playing Canadian style hockey that much yet.
Our players lack goal-scoring skill and most of the shots goes everywhere-else than in goal net.
To me Canada's main rival is still USA but Finland is absolutely serious challenger for Canada.

Lambert was what he was in these U20 WJC's and that's it.
Where-ever Brad plays next season i hope he gets his game back on track.
But i'm not so sure of that how well Jets can keep Ross Lambert under control.
That smart-ass likes to cause drama and whine and cry for GM of his sons treatment.

If Jets can keep Ross in the leash and out of all decision making regarding Brad's future
then there absolutely is a chance for that Brad Lambert is totally different player in 3-5 yrs from this moment.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Lambert has years to go before we have a better idea on his NHL future.

This was a World Juniors where most of the players in his draft year don't make the team.

He's got a lot of skills, and now he has to see if he can put it all together and improve his overall game.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
13:23 TOI vs LAT
15:40 TOI vs CZE
8:50 TOI vs SVK
12:45 TOI vs CAN
11:23 TOI vs GER

5 hockey games playing 3rd line minutes with linemates that weren't exactly world beaters. Sure it'd have been nice to see him work his way up the lineup and stand out, but he was literally drafted a month and a half ago as a project that needed some expert guidance to get back on track. Is anyone really that surprised that he didn't somehow flip a switch in the middle of the off season and suddenly become a polished high level prospect?

I'm kind of over it. He's got a long way to go, a short tournament a month after the NHL draft wasn't going to change that.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I’m not overly familiar with the WHL so two questions:

1: what is Seattle Thunderbirds team like? (would they be top five in the whl next year)

2. I know it’s a pie in the sky question but what would be the trade value for Lambert to get traded to the ice? (What would they have to give up to get him)

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Where do I start?!?

Obviously, something is not right between Brad Lambert and the gatekeepers running Finland's National Programs. Perhaps egos (both ways), meddling parents, entitlement, who really knows? What I do know is this tournament was a great big *F U* to Lambert by the coach.

How does a kid get selected to the U20 team as a 16 year old in his DRAFT -2 season and somehow get less ice time and opportunity two years later?

Two years ago, Brad Lambert not only made the U20 team, but was given a regular shift with offensive teammates AND GIVEN POWER PLAY TIME. He scored a respectable 4 pts that tournament which is damn impressive for a 16 year old playing against the best 19 year olds in the world.

In the Covid Cancelled 2021 WJHC, Lambert had 5 points in 2 games (tied for 2nd in tournament), had 11 shots on goal (5.5 per game) and was listed by most scouts as the most impressive player in the tournament. He was nothing short of domimant.

THAT WAS ONLY 8 MONTHS AGO.

In the two preliminary games vs Switzerland and Slovakia (ONLY THREE WEEKS AGO), Finish media had reports of Lambert looking like the best player on the ice + he scored a crazy goal that was posted on this thread. AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY A FEW WEEKS AGO.

Then the WJHC starts and somehow Lambert is on the third line and PP2. He scores a Power Play goal in game 1 and gets 13 mins of ice time. Desipite scoring a Power Play goal, he's OFF the Power Play completely for Game 2 and is relegated to the 4th line. He remains on the 4th line for games 3, 4 and 5 before ultimately being a healthy scratch.

Lassi Alanen (great follow on Twitter) is head scout for Elite Prospects Finland and tracks Finland's U20 microstats. Despite Lambert's low ice time for Games 1 / 2 he led the team in 'Controlled Zone Entries' and 'Shot Assists' (a pass that leads to a shot on goal). DOESN'T MATTER. Lambert is now stapled to 4th line (and then healthy scratched).

Does this make sense to ANYONE?!?

My theory: Lambert burnt bridges in Finland over the past few seasons by jumping from team to team. He publicly hinted that he'd join Seattle in the WHL (EXTREMELY RARE FOR FINISH PROSPECTS TO LEAVE LIIGA). To me, this was personal between Finland and Lambert. They saddled him with dump and chase players, gave him no PP time, and ulitmately healthy scratched him in the most important games. This was a tactical public shaming and a great big *F U Brad Lambert, don't let the door hit you on the way out*. Mike Babcock would have been proud.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

1: what is Seattle Thunderbirds team like? (would they be top five in the whl next year)

2. I know it’s a pie in the sky question but what would be the trade value for Lambert to get traded to the ice? (What would they have to give up to get him)
Seattle is expected to be one of the top teams in the league next season (probably top three). Because of this, I would say there’s almost certainly no shot he gets moved to the ICE. They’re the other team in the league other than Seattle with the best shot at winning a championship so I doubt Seattle would have any plans to help them out.

Reactions: Fairview

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Seattle is expected to be one of the top teams in the league next season (probably top three). Because of this, I would say there’s almost certainly no shot he gets moved to the ICE. They’re the other team in the league other than Seattle with the best shot at winning a championship so I doubt Seattle would have any plans to help them out.
Thanks. All things considered how does Lambert fit with the team.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Perspective for anyone thinking this is an obituary for Lambert; this is a list of 2022 Drafted Players that didn't even get selected to represent their country:

Cutter Gauthier (USA) - 6th Overall
Kevin Korchinski (CAN) - 7th Overall
Matt Savoie (CAN) - 9th Overall
Connor Geekie (CAN) - 11th Overall
Mateychuk (CAN) - 12th Overall
Frank Nazar (USA) - 13th Overall
McGroarty (USA) - 14th
Ostland (SWE) - 16th
Pickering (Can) - 21st
Rinzel (USA) - 25th
Bysgtedt (SWE) 27th
Howard (USA) 31st

Then we have Slafkovsky, Nemec, Wright, Kasper, Mesar, etc., who's NHL team suggested they don't participate, so who knows how they would have performed.

Of the 2022 drafted players that did play:

Joakim Kemell - 4G, 8A - 12pts
Logan Cooley - 2G, 4A - 6pts
Jonathan Lekkerimaki - 0G, 3A - 3pts
Liam Ohgren: 0G, 1A - 1pt

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

1. Seattle is expected to challenge for the Ed Chenowyth Cup next year, last year they lost in six games to Edmonton. Seattle had a great goalie tandem in Milic and Ratzlaff. Veterans on offense expected to contribute are Jared Davidson (MTL), Reid Schaeffer (EDM), Connor Roulette (DAL), Lucas Ciona (CGY), Jordan Gustafson (VGK)

Defense will also be a strength, especially if the Jets send Back Bauer. The guy earned his ‘C’ patch. Alongside him will be Kevin Korchinski (CHI) and Jeremy Hanzel.

Up and coming guys expected to contribute Include Nico Myatovic, Sam Oremba and popowich.

Tij Ignila and #1 US drafted player, Graycin Sawchyn will also likely command attention.

2. The Birds just traded for the kid (I think Moose Jaw held his rights), so I don’t really see a situation where the Birds trade his rights away.

Thanks. All things considered how does Lambert fit with the team.

Seattle is a talented team offensively, but if Lambert figures it out he could definitely be running with the top six.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
One scout's take on the WJC

Brad Lambert, Finland (Winnipeg Jets, 30th overall, 2022)

WJC Stats: 5Gp – 1G-0A-1PT

Lambert’s goal vs Latvia early in the tournament came on the power play. Not only did he not score again, he ended up in the press box for the last two games Finland played. The player needs a reset. He needs to regain his confidence. This event did nothing to help with his process. It sounds like Lambert is heading to Seattle of the WHL. The Thunderbirds have a solid team returning in 2022-2023. The opportunity to play an important role in Seattle provides a chance for Lambert to re-establish his game and find his element, offensively.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
1. Seattle is expected to challenge for the Ed Chenowyth Cup next year, last year they lost in six games to Edmonton. Seattle had a great goalie tandem in Milic and Ratzlaff. Veterans on offense expected to contribute are Jared Davidson (MTL), Reid Schaeffer (EDM), Connor Roulette (DAL), Lucas Ciona (CGY), Jordan Gustafson (VGK)

Defense will also be a strength, especially if the Jets send Back Bauer. The guy earned his ‘C’ patch. Alongside him will be Kevin Korchinski (CHI) and Jeremy Hanzel.

Up and coming guys expected to contribute Include Nico Myatovic, Sam Oremba and popowich.

Tij Ignila and #1 US drafted player, Graycin Sawchyn will also likely command attention.

2. The Birds just traded for the kid (I think Moose Jaw held his rights), so I don’t really see a situation where the Birds trade his rights away.

Seattle is a talented team offensively, but if Lambert figures it out he could definitely be running with the top six.
Never thought about it but yes might be a good situation if the Jets sent Bauer back might help to keep Lambert in-line lol

Reactions: superdeluxe

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I think it's almost certain that Bauer gets sent back. There's very little room on the Moose and he'd have no playing time.

Reactions: superdeluxe

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

My theory: Lambert burnt bridges in Finland over the past few seasons by jumping from team to team. He publicly hinted that he'd join Seattle in the WHL (EXTREMELY RARE FOR FINISH PROSPECTS TO LEAVE LIIGA). To me, this was personal between Finland and Lambert. They saddled him with dump and chase players, gave him no PP time, and ulitmately healthy scratched him in the most important games. This was a tactical public shaming and a great big *F U Brad Lambert, don't let the door hit you on the way out*. Mike Babcock would have been proud.
Exactly what I was thinking.

There is something fishy going on there for sure.

Reactions: rkp and Fairview

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok I’m tapping out lol

I’ll keep an eye on Brad in the blended all prospects thread with the rest of our Jets kids. Hopefully he has a good season in Seattle but at this point I am no more or less interested in him than I am of the other prospects in our system.

Have fun homies

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Never thought about it but yes might be a good situation if the Jets sent Bauer back might help to keep Lambert in-line lol

Seems like the kid could use some maturing, Bauer would help with that I think!

I think it's almost certain that Bauer gets sent back. There's very little room on the Moose and he'd have no playing time.

Thanks! Music to my ears! Going to openings g night in Seattle, hopefully both Lambert and Bauer are rocking the birds sweaters

Reactions: larmex99

Fintastic

Jul 10, 2022
Actually, it does. Two years a go Lambert played with confidence and with his strenghts. Now he has little confidence and doesn't play with his strenghts and he hadn't been able the improve his wealnesses as much as he should have. Six months a go he developed great chemistry with his club team mate and this last tournament he was put with the same guy, Samuel Helenius, but it seemed that their chemistry was not there anymore. Why? Who knows but what I do know is that head coach Pennanen is very high on disciplined team game, especially defensively. Before he was benched, he lost the puck in offensive zone and played lazily in the defensive zone, essentially forgetting his guy who ended up scoring. He got a chance to redeem himself in the next game, but was largely unnoticable. So I understand why he was a healthy scratch. He did not play high enough stnadard for coach Pennanen.

Lambert has not been taking these disappointments lightly in the past. People talk that he has been throwing his equiptments in temper tantrum. If these things still happen, this is another loooong minus in the book from Pennanen. So yeah, it does make sense why his role has been diminishing to a healthy scratch. No conspiracy theories, just his level of play especially defensively has not been good enough and he has not produced that well to get awarded more playing time during that tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad