Prospect Info: Brad Lambert, 30th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If this is true, then what role is he actually playing? If it is top six, then the expectations are to be offensively minded. If he is Lowry-line role then it is shut down, cycle and get dirty role, with some offence to chip in. If he is 4th line role then he would be using speed and playing primarily a defensively minded game, with limited expectation of offence. So if the assessment is correct then adjustments need to be made on fans' expectations given whatever role he is playing.

How has he been without the puck this tournament?

He has been fine the last two games playing that fourth line role imo. His game has been safe, he's been in hard on the forecheck winning pucks and cycling. He's hustled back and has closed some stuff down defensively.

Finland has essentially scored almost all of their goals on the pp this tournament and he doesn't play on the pp any longer.

His game earlier in the tournament was more assertive and risky and that lead to his minutes being cut and him being benched. Since he's simplified he's taken a regular shift. So I think it's clear that his coach wanted him to play a specific way.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
He has been fine the last two games playing that fourth line role imo. His game has been safe, he's been in hard on the forecheck winning pucks and cycling. He's hustled back and has closed some stuff down defensively.

Finland has essentially scored almost all of their goals on the pp this tournament and he doesn't play on the pp any longer.

His game earlier in the tournament was more assertive and risky and that lead to his minutes being cut and him being benched. Since he's simplified he's taken a regular shift. So I think it's clear that his coach wanted him to play a specific way.
Thank you for that. Then it sounds like he doing what he is asked to do in the role he has been given.

Everyone knows he can put up offence so perhaps the objective in this tournament was to do exactly what he is doing, and what you are describing.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He clearly has low confidence. All the tell tale signs are there, timid with puck, looking lost on the ice because he's overthinking things.
The problem is just that he had all those problems already when he started his 2020 Liiga season. And it has been like that since that. He had a few plays his way and then his line connected for some reasons better in those two games at the cancelled WJC earlier, but the opponents were also clearly weaker than for example even todays Germany. And outside of those two games he has been mostly weak and prone to timid play and stupid mistakes for two seasons already.

He just simply lacks the hockey IQ way too much. It might not prevent him from becoming even an NHL player at some point, as the skating can be still a good asset, if he simplifies his game and understands that he doesn’t have the talent to become a productive star player at the NHL level. But he could become a mean forechecking machine with some dangling skills, which can be still quite deadly at some situations, if the defensive play and competing attitude are at a good enough level.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Finland is actually operating quite similarly from a deployment perspective as Moe prefers to operate.

I think people are over reacting a bit. He's going to have two more of these tournaments and will likely play a bigger role as he gets older.

He has a lot to work on in his game but he has a lot of time to do it.
He was born in 2003, so he has only one tournament left for him. And that is already later this year.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The problem is just that he had all those problems already when he started his 2020 Liiga season. And it has been like that since that. He had a couple of plays his way and then his line connected for some reasons better in those two games at the cancelled WJC earlier, but the opponents were also clearly weaker than for example even todays Germany. And outside of those two games he has been mostly weak and prone to timid play and stupid mistakes for two seasons already.

He just simply lacks the hockey IQ way too much. It might not prevent him from becoming even an NHL player at some point, as the skating can be still a good asset, if he simplifies his game and understands that he doesn’t have the talent to become a productive star player at the NHL level. But he could become a mean forechecking machine with some dangling skills, which can be still quite deadly at some situations, if the defensive play and competing attitude are at a good enough level.

Finnish tv commentator Ilkka Lehkonen (Artturi's dad) wondered on that one offside play why Lambert was overloading that one wing instead of staying on his own as per Pennanen's system. I think that highlights how he has issues sticking to the team's system all the time.

Reactions: Ippenator

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The problem is just that he had all those problems already when he started his 2020 Liiga season. And it has been like that since that. He had a couple of plays his way and then his line connected for some reasons better in those two games at the cancelled WJC earlier, but the opponents were also clearly weaker than for example even todays Germany. And outside of those two games he has been mostly weak and prone to timid play and stupid mistakes for two seasons already.

Well we will just have to wait and see if he can simplify and play a direct game. That seems to be what is going to have to do to have success. We are a couple years from knowing this.

I didn't note poor IQ as much in his earlier years when he was seen as a top prospect. It likely is a combination of a lack of confidence as well as maybe not seeing the game as well as some other top prospects. But not every top prospect needs to have an all world IQ to have success. I see him as a Evander Kane type if he makes it. Fast, north/south player that can make simplistic and direct offensive plays and whose size, skating and skill allows him to win races, pucks as well as to create space and time in the ozone.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well we will just have to wait and see if he can simplify and play a direct game. That seems ro be what is going to have to do to have success. We are a couple years from knowing this.

I didn't note poor IQ as much in his earlier years when he was seen as a top prospect. It likely is a combination of a lack of confidence as well as maybe not seeing the game as well as some other rip prospects. But not every top prospect needs to have an all world IQ to have success. I see him as a Evander Kane type if he makes it. Fast, north/south player that can make simplistic and direct offensiveplays and whose size, seating and skill allows him to win races, pucks as well as to create space and time in the ozone.
I could maybe see even this happening. But that is in my opinion a real best case scenario, and I don’t see it very likely to happen. And even if it happens, it will most likely take still quite long for him to be there. But sure, lets hope that it goes at least more towards that. It would anyway be a very nice bonus for the Jets (with how low he was after all picked), even if he becomes a useful and trustworthy bottom sixer, let alone if he after all becomes something better than that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I could maybe see even this happening. But that is in my opinion a real best case scenario, and I don’t see it very likely to happen. And even if it happens, it will most likely take still quite long for him to be there. But sure, lets hope that it goes at least more towards that. It would anyway be a very nice bonus for the Jets (with how low he was after all picked), even if he becomes a useful and trustworthy bottom sixer, let alone if he after all becomes something better than that.

I was more talking style then impact. It will essentially be up-to him, if he listens to coaching and puts in the work he has enough raw ability to succeed if it can be channeled correctly.

Reactions: Ippenator

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Well we will just have to wait and see if he can simplify and play a direct game. That seems ro be what is going to have to do to have success. We are a couple years from knowing this.
I didn't note poor IQ as much in his earlier years when he was seen as a top prospect. It likely is a combination of a lack of confidence as well as maybe not seeing the game as well as some other top prospects. But not every top prospect needs to have an all world IQ to have success. I see him as a Evander Kane type if he makes it. Fast, north/south player that can make simplistic and direct offensive plays and whose size, skating and skill allows him to win races, pucks as well as to create space and time in the ozone.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The problem is just that he had all those problems already when he started his 2020 Liiga season. And it has been like that since that. He had a few plays his way and then his line connected for some reasons better in those two games at the cancelled WJC earlier, but the opponents were also clearly weaker than for example even todays Germany. And outside of those two games he has been mostly weak and prone to timid play and stupid mistakes for two seasons already.

Do you think he lacks hockey IQ? :sarcasm:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
For Brad

1660768826372.png

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

just a random thought, not related to ippenators' comment specifically but is it lacking hockey iq or not listening/following coaches direction? I feel like hockey iq needs to be narrowed down the way it is tossed around.

I remember one of our prospects (Green?) was described as uncoachable.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
just a random thought, not related to ippenators' comment specifically but is it lacking hockey iq or not listening/following coaches direction? I feel like hockey iq needs to be narrowed down the way it is tossed around.

I remember one of our prospects (Green?) was described as uncoachable.
To me it looks like he is not understanding his job, versus being unwilling to do it.

It looks like he’s second guessing everything. He’s not decisive because he’s not sure about anything. He’s not reading the play in time to be proactive so he’s always chasing it. When he gets the puck he is immediately looking to get rid of it because avoiding risk is safer than asserting himself on the play. He’s not the kind of player who can do that and be valuable. He needs to make things happen or the coach will always have a better option to put out there.

He really needs to forget some things and start fresh.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok kids this is a 30th OA pick which is later than Vesalainen so the attention, hype, panning, and posting activety is a tad disproportionate to his draft slot. LamLam has a long way to go but also has time on his hands. We’ll see how all this plays out over the next 3 to 4 seasons but for now this thread is close to face painting ringette, jersey wearing, musical instrument banging, “our team is boom dynamite” chanting, cray cray, delusional, overbearing, Olympic wannabe mom level here 😂.

Last edited:

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ok kids this is a 30th OA pick which is later than Vesalainen so the attention, hype, panning, and posting activety is a tad disproportionate to his draft slot. LamLam has a long way to go but also has time on his hands. We’ll see how all this plays out over the next 3 to 4 seasons but for now this thread is close to face painting ringette, jersey wearing, musical instrument banging, “our team is boom dynamite” chanting, cray cray, delusional, overbearing, Olympic wannabe mom level here 😂.
Especially considering this is a pick that was pretty unlikely to get from the Rangers in the first place.

A second first rounder is always an opportunity to go for a high risk/ reward guy which is exactly what we did.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Different positions, but to an extent I think coaching can help get around poor hockey IQ. A guy like Bowen Byram has some of the lowest hockey IQ I’ve ever seen in a defenceman but he looks like he’ll be around in the NHL for a while. Partly because he’s playing with good teammates but partly because I think Colorado coaching recognizes they have a great athlete with poor hockey sense and they’ve helped coach him to a level where it isn’t as a big of a hinderance. Of course, that also took buy-in from Byram.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
I’ll be looking for some unbiased evaluations going forward.

Always appreciate Dax and Surixon’s thoughts. And of course others as well.

Just not the biased ones.

MrT47

Aug 18, 2022
Having watched with great curiosity Lambert's play and career trajectory in Liiga (and juniors before that) for the last few years, I don't buy this "low hockey IQ" explanation. Or at least I think it alone is a lazy buzzword, and not really that useful in figuring out what, if anything can be done to improve the situation. There are no standard measurements for "low hockey IQ", and nobody has really clarified if it means low intelligence or incapacity to learn or something completely different. Or if it is a skill that can be improved or not. To me, "low hockey IQ" has all the hallmarks of an RPG stat. Need to have a numerical value for everything.

My take on his situation is as follows: he and primarily the people around him have focused solely on the 1OA status from a very early age. That has skewed everything in his development. Individual skills you can train alone are through the roof, whereas the aspects of the game that require team work and reliance on other players are bad for U20 level - perhaps even for U18 level. Not because he cannot learn those skills, but because he has never been taught to prioritize team success over individual skill and accomplishments. Quite the opposite actually. Each team has simply been a stepping stone, best possible option at the time as decided by him and the people around him. It hasn't been about helping the team succeed, but using the team for him to succeed. It's hard enough for an adult to learn such things, but having that imprinted on you from very early age makes the current imbalance easy to understand.

To me, he's a product of a team around him focusing 100% on a single player speed run to 1OA and getting it quite wrong.

Or I could be completely wrong with this :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad