Confirmed with Link: Bowman is the new Oilers GM, Quenneville reinstated

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
He deserves credit for the turnaround from 2013-15. I don't think we win Cups without some of those draft picks and trades he made. But basically everything after the 2015 offseason outside of signing Panarin was a failure
The reason the 2010 team was torn apart was his error sending the qualifiers out a day too late …
While the core was in place they don’t win in 13 or 15 without his additions.
The big problem was trying to roll it out again later.
But ask fans anywhere else if they would trade a decade of sucking for 2 cup wins.
That’s why he’s been hired again.

Hull2Roenick2Kane

Jun 17, 2010
What moves do you think Bowman hangs his hat on that could ever allow him to just jump the line of GMs to one of the best GM jobs in the NHL?
Kane and Toews? Finding Panarin? Debrincat?
I’m trying to play devils advocate here. Are people just blindly seeing cups?

ill play advocate too. Hawks after winning the cup were the last place playoff team and got bumped in the first round by Vancouver. he probably made the case that he took on the cap hell team and turned it around into 2 more cups in 2013 2015 when they had to struggle to get back up to the top going through 2011-2012. also the drafting of Saad along with the aforementioned Panarin and Debrincat. Maybe Oduya Richards and Vermette also including the architect of the LTIR workaround where it was first used putting Kane on it to get Vermette?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
-Shouldn't have traded Sharp for Daley + Erhoff(?)
-Shouldn't have given that contract to Bickell
-Shouldn't have give that contract to Seabrook
-Lost Teravainen because of the Bickell deal
-Shouldn't have made those deadline moves in 2015/16
-Lost three Brandon Saad trades, JFC
-Jeremy Colliton as head coach????

-Finally, the guy gave a presser saying how important it was to draft and develop defenseman, then traded them all away or didn't develop any defenseman.

He deserves credit for the turnaround from 2013-15. I don't think we win Cups without some of those draft picks and trades he made. But basically everything after the 2015 offseason outside of signing Panarin was a failure
Don’t forget letting Crawford walk and going on about rebuilding only to trade Saad for Zadorov (and not prospects or picks)

And then trade a metric f*** ton of picks for Jones

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Congratulation for Bowman. I did believe he'd get another job, 3 cups but straight to GM. Wau.

Nurse sucks and I think he's contract even with - 50% is badder than Murphy's thank's to it's lenght.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Quite the change after being 1 game from the mountaintop.

Outside of the ethics or PR, move makes sense with so many massive decisions to make with so many gms just copying each other. Bowman is going to have to thread a needle to holdoff the masses that will be coming with torches and pitchforks if he doesn't win.

Will be interesting to watch for sure

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Bowman was awful as was the scouting and drafting. Look at the wasteland from 2008-2020.
His botching of those contracts that led to the lopsided/awful trades after the first cup.
How about 2010... we could have had Kevin Hayes and Brock Nelson, but bowman blew it with
Hayes and trades #30/Nelson for busts Ludvig Rensfeldt and Kent Simpson.
He was gifted the team and just about anybody could have brought in three cups in his position.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bowman was awful as was the scouting and drafting. Look at the wasteland from 2008-2020.
His botching of those contracts that led to the lopsided/awful trades after the first cup.
How about 2010... we could have had Kevin Hayes and Brock Nelson, but bowman blew it with
Hayes and trades #30/Nelson for busts Ludvig Rensfeldt and Kent Simpson.
He was gifted the team and just about anybody could have brought in three cups in his position.

Can't believe I of all people will be defending Bowman regime on anything but his drafting was far from terrible or were Hawks wasteland at draft

Guys drafted by Bowman who have played 200 or more NHL regular season games

Kevin Hayes 2010 1st (713 games)
Justin Holl 2010 2nd (323 games)

Joakim Nordstrom 2010 3rd (444 games)
Phillip Danault 2011 1st (631 games)
Brandon Saad 2011 2nd (863 games)

Andrew Shaw 2011 5th (544 games)
Teuvo Teravainen 2012 1st (670 games)
Vinny Hinostroza 2012 6th (374 games)
Ryan Hartman 2013 1st (580 games)
John Hayden 2013 3rd (249 games)
Tyler Motte 2013 4th (400 games)
Nick Schmaltz 2014 1st (506 games)
Alex Debrincat 2016 2nd (532 games)
Henri Jokiharju 2017 1st (347 games)
Adam Boqvist 2018 1st (209 games)
Phillip Kurashev 2018 4th (266 games)
Kirby Dach 2019 1st (212 games)
Alex Vlasic 2019 2nd (97 games)

-- Vlasic establishing himself this past year as top 4 D made me throw him with group as its clear he barring catastrophic injury is guaranteed to be a 200+ guy --

Then you had guys who never could stick for variety of reasons (Johns was injuries) and a few outright busts (McNeill and Beaudin) who still saw NHL games as Bowman picks or guys coming along (Several current Hawks)

Dahlbeck (170 games), Johns (167 games), Reichel (99 games), Mitchell (95 games), Clendening (90 games), Oloffson (85 games), Gilbert (82 games), Dahlstrom (67 games), Carlsson (60 games), Sikura (58 games), Phillips (53 games), Kaiser (41 games) Johnson (32 games), Shea (31 games), Crevier (24 games), Beaudin (22 games), Slaggert (16 games), Slavin (15 games), Galvas (6 games), Tomkins (6 games), Hillman (4 games), Del Mastro (2 games), Paliotta (2 games), Broadhurst (2 games), McNeill (2 games), Simpson (1 game)

Bold = Still playing or played games in NHL as of this past season

44 players drafted by Bowman saw NHL action

Bowman drafting was far from disaster

The main thing that killed Bowman drafts was Hawks handling of young talent including trading several away in terrible moves either in attempt to try to eek out another cup (Somewhat understandable) or just absolutely putrid decision making (Trading Joker because of coach for instance)

Last edited:

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Can't believe I of all people will be defending Bowman regime on anything but his drafting was far from terrible or were Hawks wasteland at draft

Guys drafted by Bowman who have played 200 or more NHL regular season games

Kevin Hayes 2010 1st (713 games)
Justin Holl 2010 2nd (323 games)

Joakim Nordstrom 2010 3rd (444 games)
Phillip Danault 2011 1st (631 games)
Brandon Saad 2011 2nd (863 games)

Andrew Shaw 2011 5th (544 games)
Teuvo Teravainen 2012 1st (670 games)
Vinny Hinostroza 2012 6th (374 games)
Ryan Hartman 2013 1st (580 games)
John Hayden 2013 3rd (249 games)
Tyler Motte 2013 4th (400 games)
Nick Schmaltz 2014 1st (506 games)
Alex Debrincat 2016 2nd (532 games)
Henri Jokiharju 2017 1st (347 games)
Adam Boqvist 2018 1st (209 games)
Phillip Kurashev 2018 4th (266 games)
Kirby Dach 2019 1st (212 games)
Alex Vlasic 2019 2nd (97 games)

-- Vlasic establishing himself this past year as top 4 D made me throw him with group as its clear he barring catastrophic injury is guaranteed to be a 200+ guy --

Then you had guys who never could stick for variety of reasons (Johns was injuries) and a few outright busts (McNeill and Beaudin) who still saw NHL games as Bowman picks or guys coming along (Several current Hawks)

Dahlbeck (170 games), Johns (167 games), Reichel (99 games), Mitchell (95 games), Clendening (90 games), Oloffson (85 games), Gilbert (82 games), Dahlstrom (67 games), Carlsson (60 games), Sikura (58 games), Phillips (53 games), Kaiser (41 games) Johnson (32 games), Shea (31 games), Crevier (24 games), Beaudin (22 games), Slaggert (16 games), Slavin (15 games), Galvas (6 games), Tomkins (6 games), Hillman (4 games), Del Mastro (2 games), Paliotta (2 games), Broadhurst (2 games), McNeill (2 games), Simpson (1 game)

Bold = Still playing or played games in NHL as of this past season

Bowman drafting was far from disaster

The main thing that killed Bowman drafts was Hawks handling of young talent including trading several away in terrible moves either in attempt to try to eek out another cup (Somewhat understandable) or just absolutely putrid decision making (Trading Joker because of coach for instance)
Agreed, that stretch between Hayes and Jokiharju where they were never picking in the top half of the first round but found impact players nearly every year with their first or second (McNeil being the only major miss that comes to mind, not counting the legendary Graham Knott since that was a bit later of a pick) was quite impressive. The issue obviously being that every one of those guys went on to play their best hockey for other teams, some of which wasn't in Bowman's control but much of which absolutely was, and I can't recall them ever getting fair value back. He was a horrible negotiator both in trades and with contracts once he couldn't legally circumvent the cap anymore.

All kind of moot because he could be a much better GM and I still wouldn't want him anywhere near my team. Baffling stuff from the Oilers

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hopefully this piece of crap will take that horrendous contract of Seth Jones off our hands

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011

Show me the impact the 2010 draft had on the window the hawks had ? I see nothing of any note.
How about 2011....yes Saad..anything else ?
How about 2012 ...teuvo ? I look at the list and see nothing that helped the team. You can list games played, but how many had an impact on the Chicago team ?

It's awful, and no real later round hits like a buff or Hammer or Brouwer. How about 2nd round hits like Keith ? Why couldn't they draft and develop a d-man ? Hammer was taken in 07...anything for a decade after that ? I mean not that Tallon was great as he took the blockhead beach, when Tyler Myers was an easy pick there.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Show me the impact the 2010 draft had on the window the hawks had ? I see nothing of any note.
How about 2011....yes Saad..anything else ?
How about 2012 ...teuvo ? I look at the list and see nothing that helped the team. You can list games played, but how many had an impact on the Chicago team ?

It's awful, and no real later round hits like a buff or Hammer or Brouwer. How about 2nd round hits like Keith ? Why couldn't they draft and develop a d-man ? Hammer was taken in 07...anything for a decade after that ? I mean not that Tallon was great as he took the blockhead beach, when Tyler Myers was an easy pick there.

With regard to 2010

1) Kevin Hayes decided not to sign with Hawks, not sure what you expected Hawks to do when a guy who if he would have signed would have been our #1 prospect decides he isn't signing

2) Nordstrom was solid depth player who was a part of 2015 SC winning team. When your 3rd rounder plays 444 games (+46 Playoff games) that is great value for any team at draft

Did Hawks blow alot of draft capital that year? Yes, and not signing Holl turned out to be mistake but overall can't really blame Bowman for Hayes situation IMO at this point looking back

With regards to 2011

1) Are we pretending Andrew Shaw does't exist?

And Teravainen made big impact in 2015

Again the biggest problem was asset management of young talent. Trading away Danault, Teravainen, etc is where problem lies and why team ultimately fell apart

giza

Jul 19, 2011
It's a hard job....and many aspects to it.....he should recognize what he's good at and what he's not and surround himself with better people on the scouting side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad