Confirmed with Link: Bowers for Kinkaid

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Goaltending depth for a guy that prior to a massive rash of injuries had never been called up and then got hurt in his one call up. Solid move.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Wasn’t Bowers pressuring the Avs on social media to promote him to the NHL several years ago? His dad might have been lobbying for a call up around then too. Am I misremembering?

If this happened and I’m not imagining it or confusing it with someone else, then there’s a good chance he’s been asking for a trade for a while.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
We know Frankie is out for three weeks, possibly longer. After thinking it through it looks like this was the thought process: Frankie is out a long time & more importantly during a packed March, JoJo just can't be trusted as the NHL game is getting too fast & the Avs are too injured to insulate him, Annunen had a good STL game though wasn't tested much & only has one other NHL start, Kinkaid has NHL experience but was last good in 17/18 so you give Annunen some runway here to prove himself with Kinkaid waiting to take over the temp no. 2 spot if Annunen just can't handle it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder if the plan here now is to LTIR Frankie for the rest of the season as well?

His 3 weeks injury timeline was roughly the middle of March already, if he's suffered any sort of setback it'd probably be fairly easy to sit him until the playoffs at this point. Could be another $2M in cap space to work with.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Would have preferred a prospect swap, but w/e this helps very slightly, which is still more than Bowers did.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They also need a #2 who won't spontaneously combust.
Apart from his year-long journey back from the Bubble, Frankie has actually been fine as far as goalie health goes. Goalies get hurt, it happens, organizations just need to understand that and plan accordingly. Avs failed miserably a couple years back with Miska, did somewhat better with JoJo. This time they actually go out and get a veteran, I'm more than okay with this move.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Franky insurance I guess. Meh, don’t think he’ll help much.

Bowers hasn’t shown anything in this organization. If Boston turns him into a player, credit to them.

Reactions: Murzu and Azrael89

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Would have preferred a prospect swap, but w/e this helps very slightly, which is still more than Bowers did.
Bowers is no longer a prospect. He's 23, which is either at or very close to the generally accepted age where a hockey player has stopped developing and should be entering his prime. So all things considered Avs got good value on a guy who likely won't ever make it in the NHL. Not really good enough, and definitely not durable enough.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs have apparently been sniffing around. Landed a capable 3. Happy with this
Last time I've seen him in the NHL it was several years ago in Montreal and he was Hutchinson level at best.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Kinkaid has been good in the AHL this year (though all goalies in Providence have been) and I will say though if Kinkaid can replicate from the NHL game he played in November the Avs will be fine with him in. He does well at just getting in front of the puck which is what the Avs can deal with. Nice, tight structure, able to get off strong pushes on his edges, has flexibility and good positioning. Kinkaid an be a Frankie-lite which is a no. 3 which is fine.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think people are guilty of galaxy braining this. CMac simply did Bowers a solid and wanted to give him a fresh start with a little time to audition with a new club for next season.

Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad