Proposal: CBJ - CGY

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
To Columbus:
Jonathan Huberdeau (15% retained)

To Calgary:
Patrik Laine

Both players are rather struggling and might benefit from a change of scenery. Calgary gets a player with less term, but has to retain a bit.
Hell no from Columbus. I'd rather eat 50% of Laine and take a 7th than have that contract for that length.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Other than his long term, a retained Huberdeau who still might have some star power in him is not a bad deal for Laine that’s at his lowest value ever without any add from us
The term alone should have stopped you before typing. Then add on his age, how would he really help Columbus while still even possibly valuable (and he struggled recently), oh yeah, and the money tied up for another 7 years.... C'mon, this is just an awful suggestion.

Reactions: Viqsi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What do you realistically expect to get for Laine at this point given he wants to leave himself ?
No idea but it certainly isn't a contract like that. Columbus can retain for 2 years if they really need to for a GOOD deal, let alone the chance to move a big contract with two years for even a bad deal. Laine is not a CAP dump as CBJ aren't in any trouble. They would eventually be adding that albatross. They dont' have to move him. They will if they can but they aren't against any cap issue to do so nore an ultimatum. Laine hasn't even spoken with Waddell yet. The request was before the PAP (so we're told). They can hold him until they find something they feel is reasonable.

This...this is not reasonable, it's treason.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Columbus doesn't need Huberdau and Kuzmenko. Honestly don't know what Calgary could offer. There's nothing wrong with that, every team has players they don't want to trade and others wouldn't fit into the team's lineup.
I have pined for Rasmus Andersson for 2 years now.... but that's a different discussion and not one wrapped around Laine. He would be a perfect fit in Columbus.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What's CBJ's needs right now? Cap space, 1C-3C, maybe defensive forwards and top line wingers and that's about it? It seems like everything on the roster is good, you have great kids coming up... but something is just completely off with the fine tuning and I can't put my finger on what it is.
CBJ doesn't need cap space for sure. They truly need to not be the youngest roster in the NHL year over year. They need vets that can not only contribute but mentor the plethora of young talent and they could really use a stop gap top RHD (I think Andersson is a perfect fit). They don't need any more picks (not saying they wouldn't take them, just not something they would trade for specifically), and they need a true top 6 experienced center. preferably one that could play off Johnny's skill set. Fantilli may get there but they really need someone in place short term first and allow Boone to either slide down the lineup or move to wing/wing-center hybrid on a line with Fantilli.

Reactions: Fig

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
To Columbus:
Jonathan Huberdeau (15% retained)

To Calgary:
Patrik Laine

Both players are rather struggling and might benefit from a change of scenery. Calgary gets a player with less term, but has to retain a bit.

This is somehow terrible for both clubs... Well done!

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
It's pretty good for us and I don't like Laine at all. He's not nearly as long as the Huberdeau contract.

I mean, it depends on what direction Flames goes. If youre going rebuild, sure that a good trade where 1.5mill in retention wont hurt as much but as far as I know that's not what the owners intend.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I mean, it depends on what direction Flames goes. If youre going rebuild, sure that a good trade where 1.5mill in retention wont hurt as much but as far as I know that's not what the owners intend.
Nah, it definitely doesn’t depend on which direction we go. Huberdreau is more than 1.5 mil per year overpaid right now, and by the time he’s 35 he’ll probably be overpaid by like 6+ mil. This would be a massive W whether we want to tank and go through a 5+ year rebuild or try to retool and be competitive in 2-4 years or even tried to compete next year. Either way we’d be saving so much money and cap space long term

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I don't know. I agree with you that you'd trade Huberdeau for anyone in the league. My exception might be Meier. He's sooo bad defensively. San Jose has done incredible work dumping him and Hertl for actual value. I think I'd even trade Huberdeau for Nurse. If I had to retain on him to trade him for Nurse I wouldn't.

I loathe Laine and think he's the biggest waste of talent I've seen since Daigle. But I'd still retain and trade Huberdeau for him.
Agreed on almost everything, and I get disliking Meier but at least he’s only making 8.8 til he’s 34 and not 10.5 til he’s 38 lol. Horrible situation for us that can only be salvaged with a huge heist like this would be

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Agreed on almost everything, and I get disliking Meier but at least he’s only making 8.8 til he’s 34 and not 10.5 til he’s 38 lol. Horrible situation for us that can only be salvaged with a huge heist like this would be
Meier is just a worse player. It's a toss up between him, Kuzmenko and Laine on who the worst defensive forward in the league. Not saying Huberdeau is good defensively, but he's not Timo Meier bad.

Calgary says yes (quickly) and Columbus says no.

Even at $9m per year, Huberdeau is massively overpaid. A 50-60 pt guy without a two-way game is worth maybe half of that.

$9m x 7 is a disaster contract for Huberdeau, which says a lot about how bad his $10.5m x 7 is.
I think Huberdeau is worth between 5.5 and 6M. You have to keep in mind he's a playmaker on a team who had one goof shooter for the majority of the season. He had a bit of an uptick offensively after the Kuzmenko acquisition. Kuzmenko and him together require 100% Ozone starts though and even then it's scary defensively.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Meier is just a worse player. It's a toss up between him, Kuzmenko and Laine on who the worst defensive forward in the league. Not saying Huberdeau is good defensively, but he's not Timo Meier bad.

I think Huberdeau is worth between 5.5 and 6M. You have to keep in mind he's a playmaker on a team who had one goof shooter for the majority of the season. He had a bit of an uptick offensively after the Kuzmenko acquisition. Kuzmenko and him together require 100% Ozone starts though and even then it's scary defensively.
Meier absolutely clears Huberdeau.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Meier is fine.

He played with 2 injured MCLs that had him skating like a sloth from mid november to the new year.

Outside of that when he was STILL playing through an oblique injury and a shoulder injury that required surgery:

55 games, 24 goals, 48 points.

or in an 82 game pace

72 points, 36 goals.

1st+ would be best case scenario. I think the ultra toxic contracts like Huberdeau, Nurse, Meier would cost 2 1sts. I agree with you 100%.
Huberdeau's contract is at minimum 40 million dollars worse than Meier's hope this helps.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Posts like this are so pointless. Like what point are you trying to make? That you think Calgary should make this trade that is clearly bad for them?

Yes he's been bad and yes the contract is not good but that doesn't mean Calgary should just retain on him for 7 years to take on a different albatross
CGY should retain if they're given a get out jail free card for years 3-7 in that albatross of a contract.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'm sure you have the same view on Meier then? You would retain 1.5M on Meier for the next 7 years for Laine?
No I'm actually quite happy with Timo Meier's play. Outside of when he was playing with injuries to both his MCLs, he played at a 37 goal, 72 point pace.

Regardless Huberdeau 1.5 mill retained still costs more than Meier.

And he's 4 years older.

And significantly better over the past 2 years:
Meier: 0.81 PPG, 0.46 GPG
Huberdeau: 0.67 PPG, 0.17 GPG

And provides 0 physicality.

But if Meier cost an 10.5 mill a year, was 31, didn't provide any physicality, and was putting up 1/3 of his current goal production yes I would absolutely make that move.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm sure you have the same view on Meier then? You would retain 1.5M on Meier for the next 7 years for Laine?
The toxicity of the Meier contract is definitely understated. That guy is one of the worst defensive players in the league. He's not quite as toxic as Huberdeau, but it's not that far off.

Ledge And Dairy

No I'm actually quite happy with Timo Meier's play. Outside of when he was playing with injuries to both his MCLs, he played at a 37 goal, 72 point pace.

And he's 4 years older.

But if Meier cost an 10.5 mill a year, was 31, didn't provide any physicality, and was putting up 1/3 of his current goal production yes I would absolutely make that move.
Huh that's strange so you are happy with Meier's play despite how he has clearly not lived up to his cap hit. I happen to think Huberdeau played quite well the 2nd half of the season in that same period had the exact same production as Meier, the difference being Meier had 19 goals, 10 primary assists, and 8 secondary assists, whereas Huberdeau had 8 goals, 20 primary assists, and 9 secondary assists. That's simply the difference between a play maker and a goal scorer.

As for physicality, Meier is more physical for sure but that saying Huberdeau provides zero physicality is just flat out wrong.

Lastly, they are 3 years apart in age

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

And he's 4 years older.

That’s lovely that you’re quite happy with Meier’s play while comparing him to the worst value player in the league. Too bad he’s still a grossly overpaid 2nd line winger who is a massive net negative value-wise.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Huh that's strange so you are happy with Meier's play despite how he has clearly not lived up to his cap hit. I happen to think Huberdeau played quite well the 2nd half of the season in that same period had the exact same production as Meier, the difference being Meier had 19 goals, 10 primary assists, and 8 secondary assists, whereas Huberdeau had 8 goals, 20 primary assists, and 9 secondary assists. That's simply the difference between a play maker and a goal scorer.

As for physicality, Meier is more physical for sure but that saying Huberdeau provides zero physicality is just flat out wrong.

Lastly, they are 3 years apart in age
Meier isn’t that good and his contract is bad but come on, Huberdeau is literally the worst contract in the league by a good margin. Getting out of his deal and only having to pay 1.5 per year in retention.would be such a massive win it’s not even funny.

You were happy with his play this year? He was like our 5th/6th best forward making almost double everyone else providing minimal defense and dragging our PP right down to the bottom of the league. Sure he had a decent month of February, he’s still a massive net negative by probably 4 mil now. Just wait til he’s 35-38 making 10.5 while skating slower than James Neal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad