Value of: Bowen Byram

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Reading your replies I'm not really taking anything you say about Byram seriously. Your inability to evaluate his talent and ability is just flat out wrong.

:laugh: Sure, his 50 games in 3 seasons certainly justifies a bridge deal higher then the bridge deals all of McAvoy, Werenski, and Dahlin signed for...

He literally hasn't played 40% of games since joining the league. Even if he was terrorizing the league in those games, missing more than half to injuries means he has to prove he can stay healthy before he even comes close to the money the other guys all got.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I'm not surprised by these lame replies. Clearly you've bitten off more than you can chew. It's better to not reply at all if this is the best you can do.
You know you’ve lost an argument when you can contribute absolutely zero to a conversation.

What even are you trying to argue? You believe in your mind a 21 year old Byram is better then a 27 year old Suter?

haha bryam is either A: generation or B: worse then suter. But its actually option C: you have no idea what you're talking about.
You come in here and say Seider >>>>>>>>>> Byram, piling seider in with norris winners and the best defensemen in the game with no evidence but one good rookie season. Following your string of "thoughts" throughout this thread legit made me laugh, so thanks for that.
Well Suter in his prime is also very close to that list of players. Sieders physical game alone makes him closer to Makar then Byram.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You know you’ve lost an argument when you can contribute absolutely zero to a conversation.

What even are you trying to argue? You believe in your mind a 21 year old Byram is better then a 27 year old Suter?
Exactly.

You've contributed nothing by shoe-horning Suter into the discussion. No one but you cares about Suter. LOL.

Why don't you try talking about country music at a rock concert while you're at it.

Reactions: Newusername

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Reading your replies I'm not really taking anything you say about Byram seriously. Your inability to evaluate his talent and ability is just flat out wrong.
He’s really not all that wrong…Pierce can be negative at the best of times, admittedly, and I think we all know how much potential Byram has. But given his glut of injuries (and consequent missed development) he’s a rather spotty second pairing defender right now. High end second pairing defender is his floor IMO if he stays healthy — which is awesome — but right now he’s not at the level (or value, given his pretty brutal injury issues and concussions) some in this thread are indicating.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Exactly.

You've contributed nothing by shoe-horning Suter into the discussion. No one but you cares about Suter. LOL.

Why don't you try talking about country music at a rock concert while you're at it.
I used Suter as an analogy then you or someone basically said Suter sucks ( in his prime ) the point I was trying to convey earlier is Sieder is one of the best dman in the nhl and as a pure shut down stay at home dman he still finds a way to produce similar offence to Byram.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
He’s really not all that wrong…Pierce can be negative at the best of times, admittedly, and I think we all know how much potential Byram has. But given his glut of injuries (and consequent missed development) he’s a rather spotty second pairing defender right now. High end second pairing defender is his floor IMO if he stays healthy — which is awesome — but right now he’s not at the level (or value, given his pretty brutal injury issues and concussions) some in this thread are indicating.

Yup. I can't see Byram getting anywhere near 6/year right now unless he's signing long term.

His contract situation this summer is going to be fascinating. My guess is it goes one of two ways, either they agree quick on a short and cheap bridge or Byram digs his heels in and this is going into training camp.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
It's not a matter of being right or wrong here. It's how much weight you put on certain things. Someone point to the injuries. Others can't point to the fact that he's played amazingly well in spite of the injures. Try contrasting him with Newhook, for example. Maybe even Lundell.

One item of note that seems to be clarified in this discussion. The American based Avs fans seem to value high impact games and high impact moments (ie the Post Season) more than Canadian fans (who are more apt to emphasize regular season stats and individual trophies). Some of the "contributors" to this discussion probably don't even watch after the first round - when they're team gets routinely eliminated.

You can say Seider has bad a better season (because he played almost the whole season). But you can also say, he's unproven in the post season.

You can look at it either way. And either way, it's not necessarily wrong.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Let's all compare bad takes on HFBoards. Nobody is coming out looking good.
Point is that most accept that they have them and don’t exclaim opinions as facts or talk down to posters who have different ones. Humbleness is important in discourse and if you don’t have any you come across as much obnoxious.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I’m a leafs fan I have absolutely zero hate against Colorado. You either A think Byram is a generational talent comparable to McDavid or B have no clue how good Suter was in his prime.

I was saying he is 2nd fiddle to Makar as to what Suter was to Weber in Nashville. That’s it

Is that what you were saying? Because it sure seemed like you were trying to disparage Byram by claiming that Suter was better in his prime (27-35) than Byram is today as a 21 year old.

There's no question that Suter was a very good defenseman in his prime. I desperately wanted him to come to Colorado before he went to Minnesota. But, Suter also playing behind someone better has absolutely nothing to do with Byram, or the fact that Byram is an amazing young D with elite 1D potential whose only real negative so far is that he hasn't been healthy enough to play more games. It certainly doesn't change the fact that the Avs aren't interested in moving him for anything less than a massive return.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Is that what you were saying? Because it sure seemed like you were trying to disparage Byram by claiming that Suter was better in his prime (27-35) than Byram is today as a 21 year old.

There's no question that Suter was a very good defenseman in his prime. I desperately wanted him to come to Colorado before he went to Minnesota. But, Suter also playing behind someone better has absolutely nothing to do with Byram, or the fact that Byram is an amazing young D with elite 1D potential whose only real negative so far is that he hasn't been healthy enough to play more games. It certainly doesn't change the fact that the Avs aren't interested in moving him for anything less than a massive return.
No I don’t disagree with any of that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do you realize Girard is 49 and Byram wears number 4? It’s pretty clear you’re confusing the two with spotty second pairing evaluation.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Another example of the kid being flat out overrated. Which is a shame.
I’d agree that Girard has unfortunately slid into overrated territory. His game has really stalled out since 2021 and the -14 he’s got is a function of his Dzone mistakes and softness around the net leaving the Avs exposed too often to easy tap in goals.

A real shame. Sam was an incredible deal a few years ago. Now he’s overpaid by about $1mm per and increasingly worthless unless paired with a stay at home defender. He definitely brings Byram down. It’s a horrible fit stylistically yet Bednar is too stubborn to stop trying to slam a square peg into a round hole trying to make that pairing work. A real weakness in his coaching.

Hopefully Manson is back soon and Girard can be demoted to this appropriate spot as EJs puck moving partner on the 3rd pair. Or Jack Johnson and EJ can eat nachos. JJ and EJ are the same level player at this point in their careers.

Byram and Manson should flourish as a really strong 2nd pair.

Avs can deploy Girard more on the PK once he’s demoted. He’s good in that role. He is an underrated PK player. He’s overrated in too many other aspects of the position.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Perratrooper

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Do you realize Girard is 49 and Byram wears number 4? It’s pretty clear you’re confusing the two with spotty second pairing evaluation.
Going for two bad opinions in one post I see, eh? ;)

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I’d agree that Girard has unfortunately slid into overrated territory. His game has really stalled out since 2021 and the -14 he’s got is a function of his Dzone mistakes and softness around the net leaving the Avs exposed too often to easy tap in goals.

A real shame. Sam was an incredible deal a few years ago. Now he’s overpaid by about $1mm per and increasingly worthless unless paired with a stay at home defender. He definitely brings Byram down. It’s a horrible fit stylistically yet Bednar is too stubborn to stop trying to slam a square peg into a round hole trying to make that pairing work. A real weakness in his coaching.

Hopefully Manson is back soon and Girard can be demoted to this appropriate spot as EJs puck moving partner on the 3rd pair. Or Jack Johnson and EJ can eat nachos. JJ and EJ are the same level player at this point in their careers.

Avs can deploy Girard more on the PK once he’s demoted. He’s good in that role. He is an underrated PK player. He’s overrated in too many other aspects of the position.

He's rated just fine because people already know that his physical limitations prevent him from playing well in certain defensive situations. We really missed having Manson and EJ for so much of the season.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

When the cap jumps (and maybe before) suddenly Girard's contract will be a steal again.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The funniest part is when Girard/Byram are paired together they are an awful pairing, but it isn't Girard that drags them down.

Byram has been an absolute mess defensively this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad