Value of: Bottom pairing PMD to the Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Leafs still have hunwick for one more year.

A 6th is good enough for me.

Isn't Hunwick still on Toronto?

He's probably like their 4th best D considering how bad their D is, instead of giving up an asset for him might as well sign one of UFA D left later in the year or wait and see who's on waivers to star the year.

Hunwick is signed with TO, so you'd have to trade for him.

Agreed with previous post, no new people unless somebody goes. They got Holden and signed Clendening for a reason. Maybe they view Clendening in the Diaz mold, #6/7 with PP upside. Unless there's a significant rebound from Staal and someone like Skjei really runs with it this team will have a tough time moving the puck out of the zone when McDonagh is off the ice.

Had no idea. Either way, my point still stands regarding Bern. You can't win with a team of 20 year olds. You need some veterans. Say we traded a 6th for Hunwick as the first poster proposed. If he sucks halfway through the year we can bury him in Hartford if we need the capspace. If we don't, well he is an FA the next year. Not wanting to have any veterans on the team, ESPECIALLY if they are only signed to a 1 year deal/have 1 year remaining, is the most flawed logic I have ever seen on HF.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of the biggest problems was the trade for Holden, that made very little sense.

Adding Hunwick for a pick instead of Holden for a pick would've been a better trade.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
What about a McIlrath for Murphy trade?

No sense in McIlrath coming to Carolina. I'd have interest in Lindberg, but with as little as I think of Murphy, I think he's worth more.

Murphy is more like it.
Throw in on a deal, Stepan to Canes.
prob solved:yo:

Now, I'd definitely be on board with Murphy as a throw-in on a Stepan deal, but moving Murphy at this point is a huge risk. If we move Murphy and don't get Tennyson 40 games, we'd be forced to expose Faulk (assuming we don't bring someone else up, which we likely would).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
No sense in McIlrath coming to Carolina. I'd have interest in Lindberg, but with as little as I think of Murphy, I think he's worth more.

Now, I'd definitely be on board with Murphy as a throw-in on a Stepan deal, but moving Murphy at this point is a huge risk. If we move Murphy and don't get Tennyson 40 games, we'd be forced to expose Faulk (assuming we don't bring someone else up, which we likely would).

Stepan would not be moved after we just moved Brassard. Bern just wants to trade all players after they are older than 24/25 except for Kreider. There is zero chance the Rangers trade their #1C.

I wouldn't might something around Lindberg for Murphy. Maybe we add a bit or something. We just have too many C's at the moment.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Stepan would not be moved after we just moved Brassard. Bern just wants to trade all players after they are older than 24/25 except for Kreider. There is zero chance the Rangers trade their #1C.

Oh I know, I just try to entertain bern every now and then. Like volunteering at a retirement home.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The Rangers need a bottom pairing PMD. We could trade you a young bottom pairing DFD like McIlrath or younger bottom six forwards like Lindberg, Hrivik, Jensen. If you want, maybe a late pick or lower level prospect. Could be a lefty or righty. Just looking to add some more skating, puck moving, and points to the defense. Could also be a fringe NHL PMD prospect who's not good enough for your NHL team, but could be for ours.

If you want to offer a player better than bottom pairing, you can, but I'm not sure we want to pay that much, so I think the market is probably bottom pairing defenseman instead of top 4 defenseman.

WHY?

A Bottom pair PMD does NOTHING to improve a team.

I've never heard of someone looking for a bottom pair PMD in my life till now. And especially giving up good assests to do so! (McI? Lindberg? Wtf?) There are literally a dozen bottom pair defenseman you could sign as a FA. But nobody does because nobody wants them. I think Thomas Pock is looking for a job again.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
WHY?

A Bottom pair PMD does NOTHING to improve a team.

I've never heard of someone looking for a bottom pair PMD in my life till now. And especially giving up good assests to do so! (McI? Lindberg? Wtf?) There are literally a dozen bottom pair defenseman you could sign as a FA. But nobody does because nobody wants them. I think Thomas Pock is looking for a job again.

A guy like Vatanen who has made plug partners like Stoner/Allen/Fistric possession beasts on the third pairing scoring 40 pts in the process does nothing to improve a team? And he should be available without giving up good assets?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Had no idea. Either way, my point still stands regarding Bern. You can't win with a team of 20 year olds. You need some veterans. Say we traded a 6th for Hunwick as the first poster proposed. If he sucks halfway through the year we can bury him in Hartford if we need the capspace. If we don't, well he is an FA the next year. Not wanting to have any veterans on the team, ESPECIALLY if they are only signed to a 1 year deal/have 1 year remaining, is the most flawed logic I have ever seen on HF.

You apparently haven't learned yet.
Constant win now, win now, win now.
Hunwick for a 6th now is an irrational indulgence.
Bigger picture, the pick is worth more, esp with how well Gorton + team pick
Also, what if there is an injury and we need to buy an asset?

Vets have their place to supplement.
But there is a REASON we are going younger, stronger.

I wouldn't might something around Lindberg for Murphy. Maybe we add a bit or something. We just have too many C's at the moment.

You have to break eggs to make an omelette.
Team still needs extensive makeover, including Stepan.

something around
Stepan
for
Pesce, Murphy, cap dump Bickell, return of NYR 2nd and add Canes 2nd, 2017

haven't finalized, but that is my thinking
rangers have multiple more deals, but this helps on their RD, and helps w/team salary structure. adds an expansion draft exempt asset.

w/no other deals, C would include
Zib
Hayes
Miller
Lindberg
Jooris
not counting any camp surpise

Canes get the 20th best C, approx, under term, for top $ but getting cheaper over bal of deal.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
You apparently haven't learned yet.
Constant win now, win now, win now.
Hunwick for a 6th now is an irrational indulgence.
Bigger picture, the pick is worth more, esp with how well Gorton + team pick
Also, what if there is an injury and we need to buy an asset?

Vets have their place to supplement.
But there is a REASON we are going younger, stronger.

You have to break eggs to make an omelette.
Team still needs extensive makeover, including Stepan.

something around
Stepan
for
Pesce, Murphy, cap dump Bickell, return of NYR 2nd and add Canes 2nd, 2017

haven't finalized, but that is my thinking
rangers have multiple more deals, but this helps on their RD, and helps w/team salary structure. adds an expansion draft exempt asset.

w/no other deals, C would include
Zib
Hayes
Miller
Lindberg
Jooris
not counting any camp surpise

Canes get the 20th best C, approx, under term, for top $ but getting cheaper over bal of deal.

ummmmm no?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ummmmm no?

ummmmmmmmmmm, pls pm me with what you think is fair for Stepan. Expect he fetches high on the open market, so no lowballing, and Ranger ideal matches are expansion exempt prospects/draft picks.

I would say just post here, except I don't want to be accused of hijacking thread.

If you can tie your response to include thread topic, then here is ok.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A guy like Vatanen who has made plug partners like Stoner/Allen/Fistric possession beasts on the third pairing scoring 40 pts in the process does nothing to improve a team? And he should be available without giving up good assets?

A guy like Vatanen isn't being moved without giving up good assets. A guy like Vatanen isn't what we were talking about as "Bottom Pairing D-man" to improve the team. A guy like Vatanen has a near 5 million cap hit. If we paid that to use him on the 3rd pairing, our GM may as well step down now.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
If we paid that to use him on the 3rd pairing, our GM may as well step down now..

The Ducks do that and they get three very competitive and evenly distributed pairings (Run by Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen). Vatanen has played mostly with Stoner whose the #6. While I don't agree, Vatanen was voted in the poll section as 47th best D in the league while being a third pairing PMD. Anyway, he does more than enough to help the team that's my point. Even with the higher cap hit, since if you run into injuries he can stunt on the first pairing against top lines without any drop in his level of play.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Instead of the Rangers wasting an asset trading for a defensemen, why not just sign a defensemen from free agency.
Just some of the defensemen that are free agents (not full D-man list)

Unrestricted free agent defensemen
David Rundblad UFA age 25
Kevin Czuczman UFA age 25
Kris Russell UFA age 29
Matt Bartkowski UFA age 28
Eric Gryba UFA age 28
Jakub Nakladal UFA age 28
Mike Weber UFA age 28
Nikita Nikitin UFA age 30
Kyle Quincey UFA age 31
Nicklas Grossmann UFA 31
James Wisniewski UFA age 32 < PTO with Tampa Bay
Adam Pardy UFA age 32
Carlo Colaiacovo UFA age 33
Jay Harrison UFA age 33
Christian Ehrhoff UFA age 34
Barret Jackman UFA age 35
Dennis Seidenberg UFA age 35
Brad Stuart UFA age 36
Marek Zidlicky UFA age 39
Willie Mitchell UFA age 39
Dan Boyle UFA age 40

Restricted free agent defenseman< offer sheet
Rasmus Ristolainen RFA age 21
Hampus Lindholm RFA age 22
Jacob Trouba RFA age 22
Cody Ceci RFA age 22
Nikita Nesterov RFA age 23
Tyler Wotherspoon RFA age 23
Dmitry Orlov RFA age 25

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If the Canes were offerered that, they would run away laughing.

That deal is ATROCIOUS for the Rangers.

freel free to recommend an improved variant, mindful that all of Stepan's 6.5 went the other way, no retaining.

Arguably, if Murphy remains, then it satisfies demand to acknowledge title, and is not thread hijacking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad