Proposal: Boston - Anaheim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
With Spooner due to make 4+ million in 17-18, does this deal work for Anaheim after this year?
That's my main concern about trading for him, but the idea is that we cross that bridge when we come to it. He'll still be an RFA, and if we have to trade him away because we can't fit him under the cap, we'll hopefully have Nick Ritchie ready to take on a larger role. If he produces enough on Anaheim given that this thread takes place, he'll have high trade value at the very least, and if he declines significantly enough to warrant us not extending an offer sheet when the contract is up, we're not on the hook for any crazy contract.

Ideally, he'd sign for a one-year bridge at around 2M, allowing us to make it to the next year where over 7M in contracts (Stoner and Bieksa) come off the books allowing us to fit him under the cap. Don't see him doing that unfortunately unless he tapers off a bit from what he did this year. If he continues trending up in his production, the only way he'd take a bridge is a genuine desire to help the team, which I can't imagine is going to be flowing full-force through his veins after spending only a year here. I have no idea what kind of person is, but he's going to have leverage to ask for more than a bridge if he continues his offensive production.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
With Spooner due to make 4+ million in 17-18, does this deal work for Anaheim after this year?

Really it depends on who Vegas takes from us, and whether Murray can unload Stoner. I think we are going to end up protecting 3 D even if we trade Fowler, so Despres and his 3.7 million salary likely goes. If not Despres, than Cogs and his 3 million salary goes, plus Fowler is already gone as part of this deal so thats 4 million more off the books.

Either way we are probably looking at having 12 to 14 million in cap space next off season in this scenario (assuming Lindholm and Rakell both resign at around 9 million total) and maybe as much as 14 or 15 million if Despres is claimed by Vegas, Stoner is moved and our Swedish RFAs sign bridge deals. Our roster is fairly set for next season, with only a couple depth forwards and a backup goaltender to sign or call up in addition to re-signing Spooner.

I think Murray could make it work without much effort

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad