Proposal: Bos - Van

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I obviously meant skill level/points.

Just b/c Marchand was 6th in goal scoring, doesn't mean he's anywhere close to being in the Kane, Benn or Tarasenko talent level; so who ever made that initial argument is silly. Marchand's a very good player (much like Alex Burrows in his prime), but like Burrows, Marchand is a "passenger" on a line that needs very good linemates to be the "driver" for him to succeed. He's probably in the top-45 to 70 range in terms of forwards, whereas Chris Tanev is around the top-40 to 50 d-men. Anyone that thinks the value is off for Boston is out to lunch. Top-pairing d-men are the hardest players to acquire, and a premium is usually paid to get them.

Anyway, this is not a trade I ever see happening for a variety of reasons on both sides.

Now Marchand is a passenger, I heard it all... :laugh:

Hall is equal to or > then Marchand
Tanev is > larsson

Using trades made by Chiarelli to measure anything is not a good idea. Remember the Seguin trade? He did it again for Hall / Larsson. Using that as a measure for all other possible trades / value = fail.

No, only Bruins fans. Marchand had a career year last year (the exception not the rule) and is not worth close to Tanev.

Sure. Then again one can look at a little data here and there, like:... his shooting % was below his average (= he just shot more)... he gets very little PP time (and with the 2nd unit..)... he gets significant PK time... his TOI this year was a minute+ more than usual... And maybe him scoring 37 goals doesn't look like is such an unattainable feat anymore...
But I understand that folks who don't watch him play wouldn't know that.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Marchand didn't attack the Sedins for the entire series, he started doing that after the play of the Canucks was so dirty that they started responding to it. I am pretty sure that the Canucks fanbase would absolutely love Marchand, after all, they liked Burrows.

Of course. Once most of us got past the 2011 loss to you guys the hate goes too. Infact the Bruins are my 2nd fave team now and esp Marchy hes great if you can step back and see what he does as a player. Hes one of the top players of the game and seems to grow and get better so id love him on the Nucks. Not sure id like to give up the Tanman for him tho

LeveilleFan19

Jul 13, 2016
I could have been talked into Hall. Marchand will never get love from me, even if he dons the red maple leaf somehow for team Canada I will still not root for him. He's a complete slime ball player and is not someone I want on my team.
Ya'll can talk about the Burrows' biting incident but anyone who has grown up with siblings knows if you have someone putting their fingers in your mouth and you don't want them there, you bite down and they remove their fingers. Sucks Bergy did it in game for us, but let's be reality here and accept some accountability for the move.
Still doesn't give the Rat a pass for clearly trying to injure Sami Salo who was like 34 or something at the time. Like who low bridges a class act player like Sami Salo? Those are the types of reasons why Canucks fans don't like him. Hell I can agree he's not a bad player and probably less a passenger on a line than is, id say he can slide on both sides sometimes. I've seen him win a game for Canadian Juniors pretty much on will alone, but at other times I've seen him float.

Still doesn't equal the value of a top pairing defenceman.

You know it's HF boards when a fan of Team A can justify his player BITING a player from Team B. I don't care what you think Marchand did. It was a completely different incident. Had nothing to do with Burrows' actions. With that mentality I could argue Marchand was simply ducking to avoid a hit. There was nothing malicious about it.....unlike intentionally biting someone.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I could have been talked into Hall. Marchand will never get love from me, even if he dons the red maple leaf somehow for team Canada I will still not root for him. He's a complete slime ball player and is not someone I want on my team.
Ya'll can talk about the Burrows' biting incident but anyone who has grown up with siblings knows if you have someone putting their fingers in your mouth and you don't want them there, you bite down and they remove their fingers. Sucks Bergy did it in game for us, but let's be reality here and accept some accountability for the move.
Still doesn't give the Rat a pass for clearly trying to injure Sami Salo who was like 34 or something at the time. Like who low bridges a class act player like Sami Salo? Those are the types of reasons why Canucks fans don't like him. Hell I can agree he's not a bad player and probably less a passenger on a line than is, id say he can slide on both sides sometimes. I've seen him win a game for Canadian Juniors pretty much on will alone, but at other times I've seen him float.

Still doesn't equal the value of a top pairing defenceman.

Are you ignoring that the Canucks were the instigators of all the dirty play? There were about 6 incidents before the Bruins did anything and there were at least 5 headshots on Bruins players in that series.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
how can Tanev get you guys Marchand?? I dont get it. I havent watched much of Tanev other than say 2 games last season. Marchand scores you 30 goals/season. The only reason I see nucks rejecting this is bcuz of his contract and the team is rebuilding.
His stats are bad and his advanced stats arent that amazing. Great Shot suppressor but doesnt generate too much even tho he has good possession numbers. Does he just keep the puck and waste time with it?

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Literally makes no sense for the Canucks. Tanev is the glue to our defense yet Marchand is the saviour for our team.
Makes sense.

Concur, what team gives up their top 2 dman on a good contract for a smaller skilled player one year rental? even if you could potentially re-sign him to a huge contract, still wouldn't do it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The overrating of Tanev is hysterical. Brad Marchand is a much better player and worth more than a top 4 dman.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
The overrating of Tanev is hysterical. Brad Marchand is a much better player and worth more than a top 4 dman.

The over rating of Marchand is hysterical.

Marchand is a year from unrestricted free agency. There isn't a team in the league that would offer their best dman, locked up for multiple years, for Brad Marchand.

I'd love to hear from any teams fan base that would give up their most valuable defender on a multi year contract for him. Is there even 1 team out there?

Tanev is the Canucks best and most valuable defender. He's just entering his prime years and is locked up for multiple years. It's downright crazy to think that anyone in their right mind would even consider moving that for a 1 yrs to UFA status player.... and as good as Marchand is he's not a franchise or elite top liner either... he's a very good top 6 with a year left on his deal. That doesn't get you Tanev

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Concur, what team gives up their top 2 dman on a good contract for a smaller skilled player one year rental? even if you could potentially re-sign him to a huge contract, still wouldn't do it.

Would I love Marchand? Yes. Would I love him at the expense of Tanev? No.

Our forwards are fine, it's always been our defense that needs help and trading Tanev is the exact opposite of what we need.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Marchand is a year from unrestricted free agency. There isn't a team in the league that would offer their best dman, locked up for multiple years, for Brad Marchand.

I'd love to hear from any teams fan base that would give up their most valuable defender on a multi year contract for him. Is there even 1 team out there?

Tanev is the Canucks best and most valuable defender. He's just entering his prime years and is locked up for multiple years. It's downright crazy to think that anyone in their right mind would even consider moving that for a 1 yrs to UFA status player.... and as good as Marchand is he's not a franchise or elite top liner either... he's a very good top 6 with a year left on his deal. That doesn't get you Tanev

Just because he's your team's best defenseman ( lol ) doesn't mean he has more value than Marchand, who on top of being one of the best left wingers in the league, he's one of the best penalty killing forwards in the league ( leads all forwards in SH goals over the past 6 seasons by a fair amount ). 1 year left on his contract or signed to an extension, Marchand's value is in a different tier than Tanev; this trade is lopsided and would never happen.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Best defenseman is relative. A good defensive structure and free agent veteran players can easily replace a 20 point Tanev.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
this canucks fan will pass on moving Tanev.

would rather look at moving Edler as I think filling the hole in the left side will be easier especially with juolevi coming in a year or 2

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Best defenseman is relative. A good defensive structure and free agent veteran players can easily replace a 20 point Tanev.

Tanev's point totals are irrelevant. He's not a dman you can replace through FA and a good defensive system. He's a key player on the team... toughest assignments and comes out ahead consistently. Makes his partner much better (Edler has more impact and value to the team playing with Tanev). No player on the team provides more stability to the lineup then he does.

If it's so easy to replace that player why do such players come around so rarely? Being a Canucks fan since the early 80s, it's seemed like forever since we've had that player... Mitchell when he was still in his prime which didn't last long as a Canuck... and before then Ohlund... Hamhuis several years ago was close but again like Mitchell it didn't last long. We've got Tanev signed just entering his prime years and already provides an impact among the best defensive dman this franchise has ever had.

However anyone who points to Tanev's point totals as any relevancy to his impact obviously has no clue about the impact of this player... he isn't much different them Ohlund was in that regard... the offense you got from him was gravy... but the real impact he had was in his defensive assignments and overall stability he provided to the defense and team in general. Tanev doesn't bring the same physical element but he's better positionally and smarter in picking up defensive assignments.... but like I said someone who's looking at the point totals to assess this players value isn't going to understand the immense value that impact on stability, winning defensive assignments consistently and getting more from their linemates has.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Tanev's point totals are irrelevant. He's not a dman you can replace through FA and a good defensive system. He's a key player on the team... toughest assignments and comes out ahead consistently. Makes his partner much better (Edler has more impact and value to the team playing with Tanev). No player on the team provides more stability to the lineup then he does.

If it's so easy to replace that player why do such players come around so rarely? Being a Canucks fan since the early 80s, it's seemed like forever since we've had that player... Mitchell when he was still in his prime which didn't last long as a Canuck... and before then Ohlund... Hamhuis several years ago was close but again like Mitchell it didn't last long. We've got Tanev signed just entering his prime years and already provides an impact among the best defensive dman this franchise has ever had.

However anyone who points to Tanev's point totals as any relevancy to his impact obviously has no clue about the impact of this player... he isn't much different them Ohlund was in that regard... the offense you got from him was gravy... but the real impact he had was in his defensive assignments and overall stability he provided to the defense and team in general. Tanev doesn't bring the same physical element but he's better positionally and smarter in picking up defensive assignments.... but like I said someone who's looking at the point totals to assess this players value isn't going to understand the immense value that impact on stability, winning defensive assignments consistently and getting more from their linemates has.

When judging overall value and impact, points are not irrelevant. It's just a convenient excuse to cover up a part of his game that is lacking.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
If we traded Tanev for Marchand, that would be it for me as a Canucks fan. We are not a Marchand away from winning a cup. I'd want no part of him, especially at the expense of Tanev.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
When judging overall value and impact, points are not irrelevant. It's just a convenient excuse to cover up a part of his game that is lacking.

Especially with the emphasis in the modern NHL on the two-way transition game (which results in more than 18 points).

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

sounds like petry. And I would trade Patry for Marchand in a heartbeat.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
So Marchand would be hated but you guys were drooling over the possibility of Lucic coming to Vancouver... Hmm something's not right here

Not all of us were. I thought we dodged a bullet. Except we went on to sign another ex Bruin for too big of a contract..

Also, Boston takes this deal and runs.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
You know it's HF boards when a fan of Team A can justify his player BITING a player from Team B. I don't care what you think Marchand did. It was a completely different incident. Had nothing to do with Burrows' actions. With that mentality I could argue Marchand was simply ducking to avoid a hit. There was nothing malicious about it.....unlike intentionally biting someone.

Interesting how Boston fans were singing a very different tune when Marc Savard was doing the chomping...but oh yeah. HF Boards.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com

No it'snot an excuse to cover anything... if Tanev brought everything he does and put up points he'd be a franchise level dman... he's not and he's certainly not untouchable... he's just more valuable than taking the risk on a player a year from free agency.

Tanev isn't a Doughty or Weber or Subban etc... but he's still an extremely valuable piece without putting up points... if he did he'd be in another level of value.

He's simply a player you won't value as much unless you follow the team regularly and see the impact he has off the stats sheet... there are others like him through the league- guys who's value simply isn't seen by those that just look at the stats and not the actual play on ice regularly.

And as for the comment about Petry - Petry is a good defensive dman... Tanev is much better. I'd trade a Petry too for Marchand.. wouldn't even consider Tanev for him for a millisecond.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not sure when a top pairing RHD on a great contract is worth less then an top line winger whose about to be UFA and wanting a 6x6 minimum contract when he's going to be 29 next year.

Sorry no way Canucks do that deal and Bruins would be laughing if Benning did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad