Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] F Elias Lindholm signs with the Bruins (7 years, $7.75M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Dylan Larkin, 1C, signed a contract of $8.7m on Mar 1 2023, a cap % of 10.55.
PLD - 10.18%
Roope Hintz - 10.25%
Bo Horvat - 10.30%
Barzal - 11.09%
Brayden Point - 11.66%
Sebastian Aho - 11.68%

Auston Matthews - 15.87%
Nathan Mckinnon - 15.27%

Nazem Kadri- 8.48%
Dylan Cozens - 8.61%
Brayden Schenn- 7.98%

Elias Lindhom signs for $7.75m, a cap % of 8.81- It's currently the 32nd highest cap hit for a center, by definition not #1 center money. It's right where it should be. I just don't think they should have ignored his very poor season.

$11m is 12.5% of the cap, and right around where you can expect number 1 centers who aren't superstars to land when their contracts are up.
10-11.5 is roughly 1C money.

Lindholm is being paid mid tier 2C money

Reactions: burstnbloom

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
why did you ignore everything else that I posted? lol

At the very least you can acknowledge that the 32nd highest cap hit in actual dollars is not "#1 center money!" By cap hit percentage number its 35th in the league for centers and 94th overall. The vast majority of those contracts were signed with a stagnant cap during covid that rose 6.7% this year and is projected to rise another 5-7% next year.

I agree that he's not the 1C answer to the bruins problems but you can only get that by getting a top 5 pick in the draft or have a team f*** with a player's medicals so they insist on leaving. The last #1 center to sign in UFA was John Tavares, 6 years ago (13.8% of the cap, btw). Before that? I don't even know. So you take what you can get in UFA, and this is a reasonable deal for a player of this caliber. I don't particularly care for this player and I imagine this deal is bought out in 2029 or so, but we don't have to mischaracterize it to make that point.
What did I ignore? There's 32 teams in the league so its low end #1C money or high end #2 which I don't think he is either. He's an ok to good #2.

I don't disagree that there might not be an actual answer to the Bruins #1C problem and this might have been their best option. I'm just not very high on the player. Given Boston's systems and depth though he might be able to get by as a #1C like Horcoff did on the Oilers in their 06 cup run. I just don't know that he really moves the needle to get them past the top teams in the East.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
How dumb is this post?

I mean really, three years from now your worried about who he plays with because Marchy is getting 'any younger'

That's like saying two years ago who's Marchand going to play with when Bergeron retires.

Crap, I guess no one. The team will stagnate. No changes to the roster. No drafting. No trades. No UFA signings...
Lol, Lindholm is 30 and you signed him for 7 years.

No matter who you replace Marchand with they aren't gonna be as good as Marchand is. Zacha and Geekie (and perhaps Poitras) are the only members of your core relatively young on forward.

Lindholm isn't a playdriver and is more of a complimentary 2C. Bostons only real decent forward prospects are Lysell and Farinacci. Everyone else is years away at best. So yeah, I mean if you want to keep signing UFA aged players you know, more power to you, but let's not act like Boston has a youth movement going on when they just made their first 1st round pick in 2 years. At some point you're going to run out of players or get outbid.

Boston has always been a great defense first team so it may not matter anyways but like, come on, it's pretty easy to see where Boston's core is going over the next 7 years of that contract. Take a look at Seattle if you want to see a team full of UFA aged players right now.

• Haha
Reactions: bossram and PB37

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

No matter who you replace Marchand with they aren't gonna be as good as Marchand is. Zacha and Geekie (and perhaps Poitras) are the only members of your core relatively young on forward.

Lindholm isn't a playdriver and is more of a complimentary 2C. Bostons only real decent forward prospects are Lysell and Farinacci. Everyone else is years away at best. So yeah, I mean if you want to keep signing UFA aged players you know, more power to you, but let's not act like Boston has a youth movement going on when they just made their first 1st round pick in 2 years. At some point you're going to run out of players or get outbid.

Boston has always been a great defense first team so it may not matter anyways but like, come on, it's pretty easy to see where Boston's core is going over the next 7 years of that contract. Take a look at Seattle if you want to see a team full of UFA aged players right now.
Jebesus christ. Long post to say a lot of nothing.

No one is acting like boston has a youth movement going on at the moment.

They weren't acting that way yestetday either.

And yet look were we are today.

Markedly better than yesterday.

And yet your going along with bitching about 3 years from now.

Ummmm k.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Call me crazy, but I think Lindholm will flourish in Boston. They have a way of making players better. He is a good face off man, is good defensively(finished 2nd to Patrice Bergeron in the Selke 2 years ago), he can put up maybe not #1C numbers but certainly in the Bergeron/Krejci caliber. He can certainly play up and beyond his contract worth. I think the deal is perhaps 2-3 years too long as with most of these late 20's signings. But it is the price you pay when your window is now. This deal has made Boston competitive against Florida IMO along with the Zadorov signing. For next year, this was a great signing for Boston since Marchand will be up, and then Boston can cross that bridge next off season.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Call me crazy, but I think Lindholm will flourish in Boston. They have a way of making players better. He is a good face off man, is good defensively(finished 2nd to Patrice Bergeron in the Selke 2 years ago), he can put up maybe not #1C numbers but certainly in the Bergeron/Krejci caliber. He can certainly play up and beyond his contract worth. I think the deal is perhaps 2-3 years too long as with most of these late 20's signings. But it is the price you pay when your window is now. This deal has made Boston competitive against Florida IMO along with the Zadorov signing. For next year, this was a great signing for Boston since Marchand will be up, and then Boston can cross that bridge next off season.
Good point. If they feel Pasta and McAvoy in their prime years along with other core.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good point. If they feel Pasta and McAvoy in their prime years along with other core.
I asked myself the question who is the better fit for the Bruins, Stamkos or Lindholm, and I think it is Lindholm. He is not flashy, he finished 2nd in the Selke to Bergeron. He fits the organization to a T IMO. I think he will slip in with either Pasta or Marchand or both seemlessly. Think he will be motivated, he has another Lindholm in the room too. I like this move for Boston for 3 - 4 years atleast. the final 3 we will see. You don't worry about that now.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

This is exactly it. I don't think the expectation is that he's going to come in and be a game breaking/scoring #1C. The Mr.everything top-6 C who kills penalties, wins faceoffs, scores in the clutch and compliments a star winger like Pastrnak is going to be appreciated here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is exactly it. I don't think the expectation is that he's going to come in and be a game breaking/scoring #1C. The Mr.everything top-6 C who kills penalties, wins faceoffs, scores in the clutch and compliments a star winger like Pastrnak is going to be appreciated here.
Yeah, one thing I noticed Boston needed in the playoffs was a good faceoff man. Lindholm will be an improvement in that area, I think he was +60 something a few years ago also. 2 way, not flashy, produces in the 60-70 pts area, not going to be bad for the Bruins. Coyle should have had scored more than a few goals in the first series. Had it been Lindholm I think he would have converted. From that standpoint, Bruins will be better for sure.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

God dam you're right. cant argue with that logic right there i tell ya.

sop can you let me know the cap in 3-4 years and the rest of the bruins roster then too? as well as how they are playing?

and the Bruins core in 3-4 years?? since you seem to think Geekie and Zacha are core parts of the team.....

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lindy was great for us. He’s not a play driver but he’s a great complimentary player in the playoffs. Defensively sound, has a play makers touch and has some bite to his game.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Vancouver biggest losers of this draft frenzy. Prioritized the wrong players IMO.

Awesome value signings for Boston with both Lindholm and Zad.

Boston is looking like the formidable NHL team now. Honestly.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I mean a 40 goal selke candidate...

He's going to thrive on Boston
I mean Ryan Kesler did the same thing and won, doesn't mean I'd pay him today the same money. That was years ago lol. Clearly isn't the same player. But like that season, he'll need 2 elite players to get him points. Hopefully Marchand and Pasta are that combo because if they aren't this contract is a huge anchor.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean Ryan Kesler did the same thing and won, doesn't mean I'd pay him today the same money. That was years ago lol. Clearly isn't the same player. But like that season, he'll need 2 elite players to get him points. Hopefully Marchand and Pasta are that combo because if they aren't this contract is a huge anchor.
I'd kill to give a prime Kesler 7 million today

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Honestly wish it was closer to high 6 to low 7 mark but with the new salary cap and getting him from Free Agency period it’s not totally surprising..

Some may say 40 points blah blah blah last year but won’t consider not everyone handles the unknown like others. I personally think he’s due to bounce back with a stable situation and having wingers that drive the play is the key for him, he covers for those type of players and pushes the puck up from the defensive zone.

Do I think he’s a true number 1 ? Probably not but Boston desperately needs a guy that can win faceoffs and he can even fill a PP bumper role we missed last year this definitely a W for us now..

By say Year 5 to 7 will see but lots can change by then including the Salary cap number

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad