Speculation: Is Broberg a prime candidate for an offer sheet?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I've seen teams do this though. There has got to be mechanisms to make it work.

But if the choice was losing Broberg vs trading off Ceci with a prospect or pick attached, we'd do the latter. Broberg isn't an afterthought here
You can do a paper move send both down for a day. Saves 1.2m each. Recall them once Kane goes on LTIR. We did it last year with somebody. Harris I think.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Eh, honestly he might. For a guy in Broberg's position the most important thing he could find for himself is a real opportunity. Edmonton hasn't given him that and looking at their depth chart at left defense it doesn't look like a guarantee they're going to this season, either.

That said, 2.2M wouldn't get it done. Edmonton isn't that down bad against the cap.
Oilers are way over the cap haver not signed Broberg or Holloway and are playing with an 85 million cap not 88 million...they will have 3 million of dead cap next year with Neal and Campbell.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It would have to be an overpay cause Broberg @ 1M to help the Oilers cap crunch has immense value. They would trade alot of other players before even considering Broberg which can be a long term cap solution for them.
I appreciate you taking a stab on valuation, but my bottom line question is what kind of currency are we taking about?

we have an up and down top 10 pick
inconsistent but still shows good flashes and has been doing so a bit more lately
I could be wrong but that ^ is what I have gathered on the subjective side

On the objective side we are now no longer elc level cap suppression
instead rfa salary level, which is still good, but a step down from elc

The above needs to be assessed vs Oil perceived upside to keep vs deal,,,,

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I appreciate you taking a stab on valuation, but my bottom line question is what kind of currency are we taking about?

we have an up and down top 10 pick
inconsistent but still shows good flashes and has been doing so a bit more lately
I could be wrong but that ^ is what I have gathered on the subjective side

On the objective side we are now no longer elc level cap suppression
instead rfa salary level, which is still good, but a step down from elc

The above needs to be assessed vs Oil perceived upside to keep vs deal,,,,
The perceived upside at this point is sky high. With what Broberg showed in the playoffs, it's almost impossible to not think with his size, skating, and now much better understanding of the game is that he will be atleast Top 4 LD in this League. Take that, plus his RFA status which leads to cost controlled contracts and it would be tough to convince the Oilers to move him out.

The type of currency would be some combination of cap space and/or roster player (RD) coming back. But I can't really picture a deal that would make sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The perceived upside at this point is sky high. With what Broberg showed in the playoffs, it's almost impossible to not think with his size, skating, and now much better understanding of the game is that he will be atleast Top 4 LD in this League. Take that, plus his RFA status which leads to cost controlled contracts and it would be tough to convince the Oilers to move him out.

The type of currency would be some combination of cap space and/or roster player (RD) coming back. But I can't really picture a deal that would make sense.
yeah I get there is legit still value, I don't know I would say "perceived upside at this point is sky high"
yes on the one hand he has seemingly arrived
but
on the other hand, small sample size, he just got here

I think unless you can move Ceci + at full pop, which I don't see, it may be necessary to do higher picks w/no immediate cap for rfas you have to sign -- Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie -- and lesser picks

til the w'e
belated Happy Canada Day

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
yeah I get there is legit still value, I don't know I would say "perceived upside at this point is sky high"
yes on the one hand he has seemingly arrived
but
on the other hand, small sample size, he just got here

I think unless you can move Ceci + at full pop, which I don't see, it may be necessary to do higher picks w/no immediate cap for rfas you have to sign -- Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie -- and lesser picks

til the w'e
belated Happy Canada Day
Well the sample was what he did in the playoffs plus a year in the AHL where he was the best defenceman in the AHL. If it was just the solid playoffs run, Oilers and the fanbase probably wouldn’t have the confidence they have in him.

Picks just wouldn’t help where the Oilers are at right now. And wouldn’t help the Cap situation. Broberg out, makes our cap situation worse. So that’s why I said it’s hard to think of a return for Broberg that would make sense. Not much does for him.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Well the sample was what he did in the playoffs plus a year in the AHL where he was the best defenceman in the AHL. If it was just the solid playoffs run, Oilers and the fanbase probably wouldn’t have the confidence they have in him.

Picks just wouldn’t help where the Oilers are at right now. And wouldn’t help the Cap situation. Broberg out, makes our cap situation worse. So that’s why I said it’s hard to think of a return for Broberg that would make sense. Not much does for him.
general agree, but getting picks for rfas def = cap savings b'c you do not have to sign them
they can be replaced internally
sure that is a hit to roster productivity, short term, but you drop 3m on Henrique and do this and that, and that adds up

I see flipping better picks for lesser picks + rfa as only move on paper

and that is only as to not adding you still gotta move elsewhere to get cap compliant

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
The player still has to sign it…

Not sure Broberg would leave a Stanley Cup Contender for a short-term play on money

100% he would. If they offered him 4.5m especially multiple years. I'm guessing money is more important to a young guy like him that is struggling to break in

It would ensure him a pro roster spot and likely quality ice-time to prove himself

What is Edmonton going to offer him? 1.5-2m over couple years to see what they have? I'm taking the money and running or at least hoping Edmonton matches then it's win/win for him

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't see Oilers moving Broberg out for anything outside of a top 4 RHD with the same level of development.
Broberg will be a core piece, he has had a good amount of time to polish his game and slid in seamlessly into a WCF/SCF scenario and played well. Him and Bouchard will lead their own pairs for many years to come

Ekholm can mentor him into being the new Ekholm lol

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Did you not watch the playoffs? Broberg held us own quite well. Why would the Oilers let him go for a 2nd rounder?
“Held his own” is fine but that doesn’t mean all that much when we’re talking about a big contract like that. Oilers can’t afford to offer a depth defenseman that kind of money with how much Nurse is already making and how much they’re going to need to pay Bouchard next year.

Dakine

Jan 30, 2024
Oilers are way over the cap haver not signed Broberg or Holloway and are playing with an 85 million cap not 88 million...they will have 3 million of dead cap next year with Neal and Campbell.

The Oilers are $2.5 million over the cap. That's $84 million in contracts, $3 million in dead cap, and $3.5 million in bonus carryover.

The cap isn't reduced to $85 million. The total of contracts, dead cap and bonus carryover is currently at $90.5 million and has to be at $88 million by the start of the season.

Hard to believe they would have gone over without already having a plan in place to get to $88 million.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
100% he would. If they offered him 4.5m especially multiple years. I'm guessing money is more important to a young guy like him that is struggling to break in

It would ensure him a pro roster spot and likely quality ice-time to prove himself

What is Edmonton going to offer him? 1.5-2m over couple years to see what they have? I'm taking the money and running or at least hoping Edmonton matches then it's win/win for him

I always find it funny when Fans are like
'But he has a chance at cups!'

Yeah, but he also has a chance to sign a piece of paper that'll allow him and his family to never work again.

Like, do some of you guys go to work being like "I need to be part of the best valve distributor in Western Canada, I'll take 50k less salary to do it'?

Reactions: Macheteops

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Here's my question...

Let's say you want Broberg and think he's a long term #3 defenceman... and you're a team who isn't all that concered about cap hit right now.

Why not sign him to a 1 year deal at $3.25m?

It costs you a 2nd round pick. If he establishes himself, he'd still probably prefer the security of a long term deal at $3.5m to $4m than riding qualifying offers and arbitration.

From an Edmonton standpoint, the easy trade candidate is Ceci... but it's not like they can waive anyone else to get under the cap.

With Kane, I believe the requirement is to get under the cap, AND THEN put him on LTIR.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I always find it funny when Fans are like
'But he has a chance at cups!'

Yeah, but he also has a chance to sign a piece of paper that'll allow him and his family to never work again.

Like, do some of you guys go to work being like "I need to be part of the best valve distributor in Western Canada, I'll take 50k less salary to do it'?
Any team offersheeting him isn’t going to give him term at the number it would take for the Oilers to walk away.

So I guess it comes down to Brobergs self belief. If he thinks this is the peak of his dollar value in his career then he’s best to take the most he can get right now regardless of who it’s from. But the flip side is he might not ever get a chance at a cup like this again.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Here's my question...

Let's say you want Broberg and think he's a long term #3 defenceman... and you're a team who isn't all that concered about cap hit right now.

Why not sign him to a 1 year deal at $3.25m?

It costs you a 2nd round pick. If he establishes himself, he'd still probably prefer the security of a long term deal at $3.5m to $4m than riding qualifying offers and arbitration.

From an Edmonton standpoint, the easy trade candidate is Ceci... but it's not like they can waive anyone else to get under the cap.

With Kane, I believe the requirement is to get under the cap, AND THEN put him on LTIR.
Maybe one of the cba experts can chime in but I’m pretty sure a team can start the year with a player on ltir but its preferable to get cap compliant and then put them on ltir as it allows you to maximize the ltir pool or bonus pool or something. Not sure exactly but I’m pretty sure teams other teams have starts the year with players on LTIR.

Reactions: AslanRH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad