Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
and Kessel made more than that to play on Pit. 3rd line. Having 3 solid lines is not a bad thing.

Paying them 6 mil is flat out idiotic. Do you think Bos is as good as Pitt aside from their 3c? It worked for Pitt so far, 1 year in. So I guess if Bos. is able to pull a cup win, it will be fine, but otherwise, it's about 3 mil too much for a 3c.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
This is a mistake. Backes can still play but hes 31 years old and was never fleet of foot to begin with. Why is Boston even doing this when they should be tanking?

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
This is a mistake. Backes can still play but hes 31 years old and was never fleet of foot to begin with. Why is Boston even doing this when they should be tanking?

LOL... I can see how that would be baffling to an Oil fan.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would think? But, I'm no boston fan, so I'm prolly not the best suited to answer these kind of questions :P

He can and does play RW at times and runs the Bruins PP on the wall with Krug and Krejci up top, Bergeron in the slot and now Backes down low replacing Eriksson.

Most of us believe Spooner and McQuaid are gone in a trade this week now.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Because the goal is to win? Lol. I know its a hard concept for you.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
How about the Rangers? :laugh:

Aha! Fair enough. ;)

Could be!

If the Bruins had a trade in place for Spooner and thought Vesey was a real option (or one of the prospects is ready for wing) then signing Backes and walking away from Eriksson makes a lot of sense. Now they have the middle secured, assets for a trade and cap space to spare.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I would like to thank Backes for his time here in STL and wish him the best in Boston. Blues couldn't give him that contract and he'll do great on that team, should fit in like a glove. At least for the 1st few years, the last 2 years he may be a fourth liner

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Honestly, I think he ends up on Spooner's RW going up against lesser competition.

My gut tells me, it is going to be the other way around - Spooner to wing. Backes is the better face-off guy and an elite shutdown guy. You have to imagine the Bruins were less than pleased with Spooner's -9. Claude is the coach, afterall...

That all being said - Backes mentions...he's a center for most of game - willing to switch to RW late when game is on the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad