Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Backes will be worth every penny for the next couple of years, but when you get to year 3-5, I think Boston will be hurting a bit. He has always been healthy, strong on the puck, but doesn't really hit as much as he used to.

So,I'd player who will replace Lucic on the PP. decent on the PK, and will be good for 20 goals next year while playing heavy minutes.

Don't expect a ton of points, if he is getting 3rd line shut down role. Really not great at carrying the puck or play making. But he will still be productive. Glad the blues didn't sing him for 5 years. But Boston will have a lot of entry level contracts in the next 2-3 years sos this won't hurt them.

Also worth noting with Krejci having hip surgery, Backes will be able to fill in with out losing a beat.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Backes really isn't the physically punishing guy he once was. I wonder how many people realize that that don't watch the Blues every game. His game has changed a bit the past year or two.

He'll be fine next year, but down the road... 5 years is too much and it's very hard to imagine the Bruins winning anything in that time.

But best of luck to Backes, hope he enjoys it.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
As a Bruins fan, I like the player but don't like the signing. Eriksson is better; Boston should have used the money to extend him.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Seeing people defend this is crazy. If you sign a guy to this big of a deal and already start in with "eh well it's a good deal if he's propped up by the best possession line in hockey" or "well he can be sheltered on the 3rd line" etc..... well it is probably not a good deal. It is probably a bad deal.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Great center depth
Bergeron
Krejci
Backes
Spooner

Am I crazy to think we might see a Marchand - Bergeron - Backes line?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
If you want the player you are gonna have to overpay, plain and simple. The alternative is don't sign anyone the first couple days and pick up someone off the scrap heap

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seeing people defend this is crazy. If you sign a guy to this big of a deal and already start in with "eh well it's a good deal if he's propped up by the best possession line in hockey" or "well he can be sheltered on the 3rd line" etc..... well it is probably not a good deal. It is probably a bad deal.

Well, both of those lines aren't true either. He's still a good player, it's just too much term.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
I like Backes as a player just fine but..not really liking this deal.

Oh well..knew Sweeney was gonna do something, this is UFA-day desperation move...it happens.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Great center depth
Bergeron
Krejci
Backes
Spooner

Am I crazy to think we might see a Marchand - Bergeron - Backes line?
If Krejci and Spooner are both still on the team, Backes will definitely be playing wing. So no, not crazy at all.

Julien will be undoubtedly be using that trio in important defensive situations.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
:laugh: Guess they couldn't find defense so they decided to sign another 2-way forward. Either way they're going to miss the playoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad