Confirmed with Link: Bolland To Leafs For Picks (51st, 117th picks this year and 4th in 2014)

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
I want some honest opinions of the trade from you guys, Bolland was my favourite player on the Knights in the 2004-2005 Memorial cup win . And have loved watching him play for you guys in the P.O. Just wanna see what you guys think of the trade.

I'm fine with the trade - Hawks got a decent return and they needed the cap space.

If Bolland is healthy, he is the best #3C in the league. But it's a big if. He's almost never healthy.
Not sure where Toronto plans to use him, but it shouldn't be in the top-6.
Also, healthy or not he's one of the more persistent agitators in the league. He unfortunately built a bit of a nasty habit of taking awful penalties this season, though (never used to see that from him before, at least not consistently). But to be fair, he draws his fair share of penalties too.

All in all I liked him a lot as a player and he'll be missed in Chicago. Happy trails Dave.

SLarmer28*

I want some honest opinions of the trade from you guys, Bolland was my favourite player on the Knights in the 2004-2005 Memorial cup win . And have loved watching him play for you guys in the P.O. Just wanna see what you guys think of the trade.
It's a great trade for Toronto if he plays the third line center role, and the key to the trade for Toronto is for Dave Bolland to remain healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
It's decent value for a guy who doesn't seem to want more than a 3rd line role in the NHL.

When he's on his game he's the best 3rd line center in the game. Unfortunately he's been on his game like 20% of the time these last two regular and post seasons combined. I think injuries have caught up to him and he doesn't want to / can't play with the speed and fearlessness he had 2009-2011.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
On a minor note, I always appreciate it when GMs send players to somewhere they want to be.

Bolland sounds like he's thrilled to be headed to Toronto.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It's decent value for a guy who doesn't seem to want more than a 3rd line role in the NHL.

When he's on his game he's the best 3rd line center in the game. Unfortunately he's been on his game like 20% of the time these last two regular and post seasons combined. I think injuries have caught up to him and he doesn't want to / can't play with the speed and fearlessness he had 2009-2011.

I think Leafs have him pegged for a 2nd line role. They don't need Bolland to be physical (they already have an abundance of truculence), just to be rat-like and they obviously like and need his playofff experience. I hope he stays healthy and has a long NHL career.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

It's a good trade for both teams - I'd suspected for a while that Bolland may end up back in Toronto. It sounds like Nonis has aspirations for him over and above 3c...but I really think that's the best place for him to play.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Bolland for the Hawks
332 regular season games
70 goals and 98 helpers
Playoffs:
67 games played
17 goals
26 assists

and a Stanley Cup game winner!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Sad to see him go from a fan's perspective but it's a good hockey move. I wish him nothing but the best going forward and will always be a fan of his.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Of all the quotes bwc's provided about Bolland in this thread, you managed to pick the one that has no relevance to Bolland leaving the team.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Yeah, all he did was score the Stanley cup,clinching goal with seconds to play for you a week ago. No big deal. see you later, Dave. Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out. :shakehead

I don't think that's how most people regard him. With that said, keeping him around because he scored that goal would be a horrible idea. There were obvious business/team reasons they needed to find a new home for him - and I'm glad they did it in Toronto...because even though I'm sure he would have rather stayed in Chicago, he is returning to his home town and joining a team which will see him as valuable and which is on the upswing.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Chicago is my 2nd favorite team and I'm really happy the Leafs got Bolland, he's going to bring experience from a great organization to a young team in Toronto.

Incase anyone is wondering, were probably planning to use him as the #3C. Randy Carlyle likes to have a reliable shutdown line and Bolland will most-likely be centering that Shutdown line.

SLarmer28*

Chicago is my 2nd favorite team and I'm really happy the Leafs got Bolland, he's going to bring experience from a great organization to a young team in Toronto.

Incase anyone is wondering, were probably planning to use him as the #3C. Randy Carlyle likes to have a reliable shutdown line and Bolland will most-likely be centering that Shutdown line.
Good luck to the Toronto Maple Leafs next season. I certainly hope Dave Bolland will stay healthy next season.

P.S. Next time beat the Boston Bruins!

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Not sure, but I still have a feeling we could have gotten a better pick for him than #51 overall.

LandofLincoln*

Not sure, but I still have a feeling we could have gotten a better pick for him than #51 overall.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stan could have gotten a pick 8-12 picks higher, but maybe he didn't want to send Bolland to a team that he would not want to play for....I think overall they could have gotten a higher pick, but then most likely not the 4th round pick. Not that the 4th round pick really matters.

Overall the disparity of what Stan could have got and what he actually received probably was not very significant. I think Stan maybe could have got 10% more in value but he just decided it would be better to send Bolland to Toronto.

I think sometimes these sentimental moves have greater value for a GM.... Not that Bolland will ever sign as a free agent in Chicago...but Stan did him a favor to send him to Toronto.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
You also forgot about the two fourth round picks.

I forgot about nothing. I know the trades and the contracts that were signed by our players and most of the others. If I don't know that, I'm able to click to Capgeek.com and see it. PLEASE finally stop posting every contract as soon as a name comes up and those 2 4ths have about no real value...

the main pieces were Bolland and #51 and I'm not really happy about #51.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I forgot about nothing. I know the trades and the contracts that were signed by our players and most of the others. If I don't know that, I'm able to click to Capgeek.com and see it. PLEASE finally stop posting every contract as soon as a name comes up and those 2 4ths have about no real value...

You are overrating the value of a 3c, who can't play above that, who has been injured and who is going into the last year of his contract. I'm sure if the interest and the return were out there, Stan would have gotten something more.

In any event, once you're into the second round, there isn't a huge difference between the players.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
and those 2 4ths have about no real value...

4th round picks represent a lottery chance that you might get a good player.

Current Hawks (and some recent past ones) who have been picked at round 4 and thereafter include Shaw(5), Kruger(5), Smith(6), Hjammer(4), Brouwer(7), and Byfuglein(8).

That's a lot of talent that you consider "of no real value".

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

the way we snag gems in the 4th and 5th rounds, those picks will be very valuable to use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad