Bold predictions for the Maple Leafs in 2016-2017

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jun 27, 2005
Some of these are pretty good.

I say that the Leafs finish last again but don't win the lottery. I guess that's not very bold.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Some of these are pretty good.

I say that the Leafs finish last again but don't win the lottery. I guess that's not very bold.

And not very close either. :laugh:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
General predictions:
(Some bold, some boring)

1. Matthews puts up 70+ points, Nylander puts up 50+

2. Rielly turns into a legit #1 and goes to the all-star game for the first time.

3. Bozak is traded at the deadline for a 1st round pick or equivalent. Nylander takes his spot at Center.

4. Zaitsev gets consideration for Calder.Matthews wins it.

5. Andrew Nielsen gets some NHL games played after the deadline and succeeds very well (I truely believe this will happen.)

6. Leafs miss the playoffs by less than 5 points.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
We have so much dead cap this year that any success we might have next year will be met with even greater success in the year after. I would consider this year as a transitional one. My bold prediction sees Michalek gelling well with Matthews and seeing Lupul and Marner "share" the year with Marner coming to form later on as the year goes. On defense, I can see Carrick getting his fair share of minutes, funneled through the PP. Marincin might be on the way out. Also expect some NHL time for Moore.

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
One of Marner or Nylander will be traded for a seriously huge upgrade on D (not Trouba or Parayko - think an unexpected name like Brodie or Muzzin).

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Connor Brown puts up 20+ goals

I think Brown and JVR would be the perfect linemates for Matthews

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Predictions:

- Andew Nielsen will lead all rookie D in scoring and win the ROTY title in the AHL.
- Mitchell Marner plays this season in London.
- William Nylander outproduces Auston Matthews this season.
- Greening, Bozak, and Polak are all traded at the deadline for a big haul.
- Leafs finish with the 9th overall pick in the 2017 NHL draft.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We will beat Buffalo in Buffalo

Come on, that's just too bold.

Compared to expectations, I think we'll see:

* Less points from Gardiner (getting replaced on the PP).
* A 20 goal season from Michalek if sufficiently healthy.
* Young guys taking their first baby steps as NHL players will actually go through some struggles.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
1. Leafs are in the playoff picture/race the entire year and either make it or miss by less than 5 points.

2. Marner has the best season out of the 3 rookies after securing a roster spot (I think Matthews will actually have the best season, but I love watching Marner play).

3. Rielly scores 50+ pts

4. Andersen posts above a .920sv% and sub 2.5gaa (equal or better to last years #'s).

5. One or more Leafs get serious consideration for a non-calder, individual award (Most likely the Jack Adams, but hopefully it is the Conn Smythe :naughty:) <-- Hockey related award, community work award doesn't count.... Even though that would be fantastic to hear!

These are bold IMO, but at least somewhat realistic. After the last two years being so depressing to watch, I want to start this year on a high point and hoping that the team starts to succeed earlier than expected and our young players excel.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
My Predictions

1: someone gets traded that we didn't expect.
2: We finish lower than the majority of people considered
3: No one on the Leafs will get nominated for the Calder. (or win if they are).

Lmao. None of these are "bold"

1. There's a lot of players that we don't expect to get traded and these trades happen frequently.
2. Mostly everyone is expecting a low standings finish.
3. Not bold at all. I would agree.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
We make the playoffs and beat out Montreal in the first round
We beat Washington out in the second round
Tampa beats us in seven games in the conference finals

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
The media endlessly pumps Marner and Matthews' tires all season long.

Leafs fans start to get annoyed at Babs for keeping Matthews at 3C a little too long for their liking.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
JVR-Bozak-Brown is the team's highest scoring line.

Tulkas

Sep 3, 2013
- Gardiner shows he's not quite as good as people think/hope.
- JVR pots 35 goals (*with 80 games played)
- Rielly gets 45-49 points
- Leafs actually just miss playoffs by 2-4 points with what many people consider 'worst case scenario' for the rebuild
- Brown makes it impossible for management to cut him from preseason play, turns out to be on number 1 PK line while potting 45 points this season. Just a beast in every department. Fan favourite by season close

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
- JVR leads the team in points (or ppg% barring injury)
- Matthews has a slow start to the year with only 1 goal and say 5 points by November. But has a big game (like a hat trick or 4-point night) at some point that month and produces well the rest of the season.
- Leafs finish with 77 points
- Kadri finishes top 10 in Selke voting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad