Value of: Boeser Vs Forsberg- Which sniper do you prefer to Trade For

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Don’t think this is so much about who’s the better player… as forsberg would win that.

it’s more on the resign situation… FF will likely make $2M more than BB… then age and where your team is at in the compete/rebuild stage comes into play. If it was just a straight across one year situation then forsberg hands down.

common12

Sep 10, 2011
I see these multi year deals for much less than the QO for Boeser and I dont get it.

If I was Boeser I wouldn't sign for a cent less than my QO. Canucks don't like it dont qualify me and I will be a FA and then let the bidding begin.

Reactions: Armourboy

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Forsberg. More dynamic player, better line driver, can be relied on to be one of the best players on a good/great team.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I see these multi year deals for much less than the QO for Boeser and I dont get it.

If I was Boeser I wouldn't sign for a cent less than my QO. Canucks don't like it dont qualify me and I will be a FA and then let the bidding begin.

Plaayers will always take long term security over 1 year of over payment. Anything can happen in that year.

Boeser's qualifying offer is what? 7.5? thats probably around 700-800k more than what he would make for that 1 year if he signed a long term contract.

So now ask yourself this,

Would you take a guaranteed 40 million

or

take 7.5 mil and gamble that you wont get hurt, you wont have a down year and make significantly less than 40 mil.

That extra 700k is not really worth it in the big picture.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

So you’d roll the dice on 1yr @ $7.5M… walk into UFA and hope for another decent/longer deal? Vs maybe taking $6-6.5M x 4-6yrs of guaranteed money?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Forsberg is the much better player.

Dont think many will argue that,

Would you still take Forsberg over Boeser though considering he will be making over 8mil a year well into his mid 30s as compared to Boeser at around 6.5 mil a year in his mid-late 20s?

Trade return will be pretty similar, probably a 1st and a prospect and a small addition.

Forsberg can walk away this summer while Boeser is team controlled still.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Canucks fan here… I’d take Forsberg. He drives play far better than Boeser. Better speed/agility/hands.

I'll put like this.

PP: Forsberg LW wall to Boeser net front.

That's how I'd look at it and depending on which my team needed more.

It just so happens the Pens could use either of them on Malkins wing.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Dont think many will argue that,

Would you still take Forsberg over Boeser though considering he will be making over 8mil a year well into his mid 30s as compared to Boeser at around 6.5 mil a year in his mid-late 20s?

Trade return will be pretty similar, probably a 1st and a prospect and a small addition.

Forsberg can walk away this summer while Boeser is team controlled still.

Not sure why only Canuck fans think Boeser will sign at 6.5m lol. Literally every single comparable contract to his situation got the player $7m+. You might think Boeser is team controlled but I don't think he's going to be too happy without getting a contract extension this summer. He already signed a "bridge" deal at close to $6m. Seems delusional to think he is going to get a $500K bump over longer term.

common12

Sep 10, 2011
Plaayers will always take long term security over 1 year of over payment. Anything can happen in that year.

Boeser's qualifying offer is what? 7.5? thats probably around 700-800k more than what he would make for that 1 year if he signed a long term contract.

So now ask yourself this,

Would you take a guaranteed 40 million

or

take 7.5 mil and gamble that you wont get hurt, you wont have a down year and make significantly less than 40 mil.

That extra 700k is not really worth it in the big picture.

How do you know what teams are willing to pay him? UFAs get paid way more then they are worth every year. A team very easily could give him 7.5 for 7 years. Would you rather have 40 mill or 52.5 mill?

Canucks do not have much cap space. He has more negotiation power then they do.

common12

Sep 10, 2011
So you’d roll the dice on 1yr @ $7.5M… walk into UFA and hope for another decent/longer deal? Vs maybe taking $6-6.5M x 4-6yrs of guaranteed money?

Well if you could get 7.5 on the market and the offer is 6 taking that deal will cost you 9 mill over the course of the deal. Yea I probably sign for 1 year or force the Canucks hand to give me what I am worth.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Canucks fan here... Forsberg is so much better of a player it's not even funny. And I love Boeser.

Yeah, they are completely different levels of player once you get past some vaguely similar goal-scoring tendencies. Forsberg is an engine driver and two-way winger who happens to be one of the best goal scorers in the game. Even if you want to expand past this year, where Forsberg has 22 EVG in 39 GP compared to Boeser's 8 EVG in 47 GP over the last three years, FF has 45 EVG in 141 GP while Boeser has 33 EVG in 160 GP. So even saying they are similar goal scorers is being awfully generous to Boeser. That's not to say Boeser doesn't have good value or isn't excellent at scoring goals (he's struggling this year and could still end up with 25 goals, which is intrinsically a valuable asset)- it's just that Forsberg is one of the elites in the league at it - on top of being simply a better all-around player.

And sure, the question is who do you prefer to trade for and I understand that is inherently a different question than who is better - but while I guess some of that would have to do with your team's ability to retain Forsberg past this season, I'd wager that because he is simply a different level of player that his return, if he were to be dealt (which I don't believe will happen) will still outweigh the return on Boeser.

I think Forsberg is just incredibly underrated and the number of "well, they are close as players" posts here just proves it to me. Again, not a slam on Brock who the Canucks will surely not trade for a rum dum package, if they do entertain trading him. He'll not come cheap either.

Last edited:

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Well if you could get 7.5 on the market and the offer is 6 taking that deal will cost you 9 mill over the course of the deal. Yea I probably sign for 1 year or force the Canucks hand to give me what I am worth.
If!!

Canucks could just accept $7.5M on a short term deal… the whole reason players often take a little less is they see guaranteed money as a more sure bet than gambling and hoping it all pans out/ don’t get injured/ keep up the pace of play etc etc

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
This isn’t even close. Only reason you pick Boeser is so you can qualify him for another season.

common12

Sep 10, 2011
If!!

Canucks could just accept $7.5M on a short term deal… the whole reason players often take a little less is they see guaranteed money as a more sure bet than gambling and hoping it all pans out/ don’t get injured/ keep up the pace of play etc etc

Yea and then the Canucks could lose a 25 year old stud for nothing. Thats not a little less money that's a lot less. I know its not your money but most people aren't going to accept making 9 mill less. Pretty sure the Canucks would trade him to a team that would be willing to pay him what he is worth.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
maybe I'm biased but Id much rather trade for Boeser and know that I would get almost similar production, controlled contract, lower AAV, and younger player.

Maybe Forsberg scores 15ish more points than Boeser for a couple of years but Boeser is about to enter his prime. while Forsberg plays out his new contract until he is 35 years old.

Factor that in that Forsberg can walk away for nothing this off-season and I dont think this would be a hard choice for me on who to go after while maximizing what i paid for.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
For someone like Forsberg who is about to make 8.5 ish mil per year long term, then I'd think he should be able to carry his own line and not be so dependent on needing to play with an Elite Centre.

Boeser imo cant drive his own line which is why he will be paid accordingly at around 6.5 mil.

Boeser needs a QO - $7.5M purposely backloaded his contract. Forsberg is the better player, but expecting $8M+ per.

I rather have Forsberg.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
maybe I'm biased but Id much rather trade for Boeser and know that I would get almost similar production, controlled contract, lower AAV, and younger player.

Maybe Forsberg scores 15ish more points than Boeser for a couple of years but Boeser is about to enter his prime. while Forsberg plays out his new contract until he is 35 years old.

Factor that in that Forsberg can walk away for nothing this off-season and I dont think this would be a hard choice for me on who to go after while maximizing what i paid for.
Need not go any further.

You take Forsberg 10/10 times.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Yea and then the Canucks could lose a 25 year old stud for nothing. Thats not a little less money that's a lot less. I know its not your money but most people aren't going to accept making 9 mill less. Pretty sure the Canucks would trade him to a team that would be willing to pay him what he is worth.
Which is why he’s in rumours lately…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad