Value of: Boeser Vs Forsberg- Which sniper do you prefer to Trade For

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Who would you prefer to trade for between Boeser and Forsberg

Both will cost a lot. They have very similar stats and trajectory. The only main difference I can see is Boeser is still RFA controlled and a couple of years younger.

Boeser 25 years old
Forsberg- 27 yrs old

Contract Status this Summer
Boeser- RFA
Forsberg UFA

Career Stats:

Points Per Game:
Boeser- .80 ppg
Forsber- .81 ppg

Goals Per Game:

Boeser- .37 goals per game
Forsberg- .38 goals per game

Career High in a season:

Goals:

Boeser- 29 in 62 games
Forsberg- 33 in 82 games

Points-
Boeser- 56 in 69 games
Forsberg- 64 in 67 games

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Tough call . I’d go Boeser for the age “factor” . But Forsberg has been trending up while Boeser had a slow start this year and injuries are a slight concern .

Reactions: Team Cozens

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Tough call . I’d go Boeser for the age “factor” . But Forsberg has been trending up while Boeser had a slow start this year and injuries are a slight concern .

you dont think Boeser has been trending up?

He's been playing at a 35 goal season pace for the last 25 games since the coaching change.

Forsberg for sure having a monster season the whole season though

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I prefer Forsberg, but there's a case to be made for each player.
I personnally value Filip's overall game a little more then Boeser pure sniper ability.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
One guy is an elite first line player the other is a 2nd line winger. The 2 year age gap doesn't move the needle considering Forsberg is only 27 and Boeser has more injury concerns. You also take the guy who is a much better skater.

Boeser is going to want $7m+ on his next contract, Forsberg deserves ~$8m. I'll take Forsberg.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hard choice to make.
I was leaning towards Boeser, but Forsberg would be a great partner on a line with Ehlers.
We’d have to make Wheeler go away first, but either way…
Connor - PLD - Boeser
or
Forsberg - Scheifele - Ehlers

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Let’s add another layer to this…
How much do both resign for? And do you resign forsberg or pure rental?

Not sure about Forsberg but for Boeser it will be around:

5-6 yrs 6.75 AAV

He certainly isnt going to get more than Q Hughes on the Canucks which is at 6.9 AAV.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
One guy is an elite first line player the other is a 2nd line winger. The 2 year age gap doesn't move the needle considering Forsberg is only 27 and Boeser has more injury concerns. You also take the guy who is a much better skater.

Boeser is going to want $7m+ on his next contract, Forsberg deserves ~$8m. I'll take Forsberg.

Forsberg will be 28 in his next contract. Good Value in the beginning but you know he will get somewhere around 6-7 years which means he will be making 8+ mil for at least 4-5 years after he turns 30. Not saying he wont live up to it but the risk is there.

Boeser will be 25 in his next contract. He will probably get 5-6 years at 6.75 mil. Much less risk of underperforming his salary based on declining past his prime as he will be in his mid-to late twnties during the term.

I'm sure Forsberg has a better chance of being more productive points wise but there is also a much greater risk due to his age and length of next contract.

Thats where the hard choice is between Boeser or Forsberg when giving up assets.

There's also no certainty that Forsberg re-signs with the trading team as to Boeser is controlled.

If all things were equal, id choose Forsberg myself

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Forsberg will be 28 in his next contract. Good Value in the beginning but you know he will get somewhere around 6-7 years which means he will be making 8+ mil for at least 4-5 years after he turns 30. Not saying he wont live up to it but the risk is there.

Boeser will be 25 in his next contract. He will probably get 5-6 years at 6.75 mil. Much less risk of underperforming his salary based on declining past his prime as he will be in his mid-to late twnties during the term.

I'm sure Forsberg has a better chance of being more productive points wise but there is also a much greater risk due to his age and length of next contract.

Thats where the hard choice is between Boeser or Forsberg when giving up assets.

There's also no certainty that Forsberg re-signs with the trading team as to Boeser is controlled.

If all things were equal, id choose Forsberg myself

I didn't like what I saw from Boeser earlier this year, his shot looks like it's not the same as his rookie year. I agree with what you're saying to some degree in terms of the contract differences and control which makes this conversation more interesting but I just think even at an advanced age, I trust Forsberg to live out more good years on his next contract than Boeser at this point. I know he's looked better lately but this guy straight up can't shoot as hard as before which is concerning for a 25 year old with potential back/wrist issues.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Forsberg is the more complete player, but Boeser is a RFA and younger. Tough call I guess

Depends on where my team was in the standings. For Dallas I’d rather Boeser

Feb 19, 2018
Boeser probably comes in around $6-6.5 million average and Forsberg will probably come in around $8-8.5 million. If you trade for Forsberg there is no guarantee he will resign with your team, where Boeser you secure the asset beyond this year.
Boeser is a no brainer to me as he has the potential, the down year should only work in favour of the team as it lowers his negotiating power in a new deal without taking away from the actual player. 35-40 goal pace once we fired Green and that is his usual pace.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Forsberg has spent most his career centered by Johansen and now Granlund. Good centers but not elite. Id love to see him with an elite center and see what he can really do

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I didn't like what I saw from Boeser earlier this year, his shot looks like it's not the same as his rookie year. I agree with what you're saying to some degree in terms of the contract differences and control which makes this conversation more interesting but I just think even at an advanced age, I trust Forsberg to live out more good years on his next contract than Boeser at this point. I know he's looked better lately but this guy straight up can't shoot as hard as before which is concerning for a 25 year old with potential back/wrist issues.

I think you have a misconception of what type of player Boeser is.

Pre-injury I'd say his shot was his most lethal weapon. Youre right its just not as hard as it used to be.

However Boeser's game isnt about being a pure sniper like an Ovi or Laine.

Boeser is actually a very very good playmaker. Scoring wise, he is excellent positionally and around the net. He still has a very accurate wrist shot too.

I'd compare Boeser to someone like TJ Oshie more than I'd compare him to a Laine.

However, I think the misconception of Boeser around the league is that he is a pure sniper which probably stems from his rookie season.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Forsberg has spent most his career centered by Johansen and now Granlund. Good centers but not elite. Id love to see him with an elite center and see what he can really do

For someone like Forsberg who is about to make 8.5 ish mil per year long term, then I'd think he should be able to carry his own line and not be so dependent on needing to play with an Elite Centre.

Boeser imo cant drive his own line which is why he will be paid accordingly at around 6.5 mil.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think you have a misconception of what type of player Boeser is.

Pre-injury I'd say his shot was his most lethal weapon. Youre right its just not as hard as it used to be.

However Boeser's game isnt about being a pure sniper like an Ovi or Laine.

Boeser is actually a very very good playmaker. Scoring wise, he is excellent positionally and around the net. He still has a very accurate wrist shot too.

I'd compare Boeser to someone like TJ Oshie more than I'd compare him to a Laine.

However, I think the misconception of Boeser around the league is that he is a pure sniper which probably stems from his rookie season.

Fair assessment of who Boeser is right now but not sure you are getting his expected contract right. I find it very hard to believe Boeser's camp will settle for anything less than $7.25M and likely closer to $7.5M. I think 6.5M would be the right valuation from an objective point of view, but Boeser has plenty of comparables to demand a higher salary.

Forsberg could easily take a contract at ~$8M per year with the right team. The difference between the player is $1-2M AAV.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
OP fails to mention that Boeser has a Qualifying Offer of $7.5 million. They can take him to arbitration or work on the contract extension ahead of time though.

As a Canucks fan, I think Forsberg is the better player, although he is 2.5 years older. Boeser is a very slow skater and is somewhat injury prone (seems to miss ~15 games a year with some injury history regarding his back and wrist surgery) although he looks to be healthy this season. Forsberg is the more versatile, faster player and has better playoff production with a greater sample size.

Reactions: Connor McConnor

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Beoser is younger, more cost controlled, and about as good.

I'll take him on the Sens for those reasons.
If it's not about that, and it's just player vs player, I'd take Forsberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad