Bob McKenzie's 2023 mid-season draft rankings

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Just an observation.

BCHL players, by McKenize mid-term rank (ppg in year)

2023-36. Bradly Nadeau (1.97 in 2022-23)
2023-HM. Aydar Suniev (1.81 in 2022-23)
2023-14. Matthew Wood (1.85 in 2021-22)
2021-7. Kent Johnson (1.94 in 2019-20)
2019-20. Alex Newhook (1.92 in 2018-19)
2016-13. Tyson Jost (2.17 in 2015-16)

Obviously Wood and Johnson did in the D-1 years, but otherwise, appears Nadeau and Suniev are a bit low just based on their production. Its not like McKenize has dinged BCHL in the past.

Whats the story here?

BCHL is still considered a step below the CHL. Also the Vees are simply the best team in the league, and you have to factor that in, in terms of their production.

Reactions: Favin and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Something about this list that bothers me a bit is that it’s really going for safety over upside outside of the top six guys. Yager, Barlow, Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, Ritchie, and Danielson all safely project to be middle-six forwards in some capacity, but none of them have first line upside.
I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of these guys became top line guys or at worst elite second line guys on a SC contender.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
In about 6-7 years, people are gonna be really sorry they didn't put respect on Hunter Brzustewicz's name.

This kid has hockey smarts for days. He's going to make a GM look incredibly smart.

Reactions: badfish

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
God damn did Sale drop. Do they prefer Benson/Barlow over him? because I still think Sale can be a top 10 talent.

Reactions: Alienblood

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Oliver Moore is the best American in this class I believe, and it’s not only because he’s a Minnesota kid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Has Ritchie's offensive game not developed like expected? Last year it seemed like the expectation was he'd project to be a top line center at the NHL level. But his offensive performance this season doesn't seem to indicate that.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
ASP is the first defenseman on the board, at 17.

Obviously teams will draft dmen earlier than that, but interesting to note.
I would find it surprising if ASP Reinbacher are outside of top 10-15. Usually there are 2-4 Dmen in the top 10. Barlow Ritchie Sale Leonard and co should be below those guys IMO just because Dmen are so much important in building a contender.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Was hoping he'd get to the 7-8 range for the Canucks. Maybe his size will deter some teams, but he absolutely deserves the top-5 ranking.
I think VAN needs a RD more than anything. As MTL and VAN fan (tough life aint it?) I definitely hope one of the two teams pick ASP Reinbacher in the 7-15 range.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I'm a Slovak and I think Sale is better, you can leave your biases at the door.

I don't think either of those prospects belong in the top 10 either way.
I believe Dvorsky is better. He has a great shot but seems unidimensional to me. Sale is very inconsistent from what I have seen of his play this year. He shows some great flashes and a good shot too.

I agree none of them should be top 10 right now.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Has Ritchie's offensive game not developed like expected? Last year it seemed like the expectation was he'd project to be a top line center at the NHL level. But his offensive performance this season doesn't seem to indicate that.
He plays on one of the worst teams in the OHL - so part of it at least is that.

Very disappointing offensive production nonetheless.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I am working on my mid-season rankings, and spoiler alert: I have him at #6.

Glad me and a good portion of Habs fans can agree on something. That doesn’t happen too often :laugh:
I think Reinbacher reminds me of Seider, I don‘t know NA prospects that well in comparison (much less knowledeable on them) but from where I sit, Reinbacher and ASP should be top 10. As a MTL fan I definitely hope they get one of the 2. Reinbacher Guhle as 1st pairing for 10 years could be good

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm sure I would not be very good at scouting, because I'm too interested in things like spacing, team play, etc.

Heidt being ranked at 23, for me, makes it seem like this must be an extremely strong draft. If you took off identifying info, I'd have a hard time telling apart Heidt right now from Cooley last year. (I'm not saying Cooley isn't going to be better, I'm not claiming scouting talent. But they played like pros, not jr players).

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I'm sure I would not be very good at scouting, because I'm too interested in things like spacing, team play, etc.

Heidt being ranked at 23, for me, makes it seem like this must be an extremely strong draft. If you took off identifying info, I'd have a hard time telling apart Heidt right now from Cooley last year. (I'm not saying Cooley isn't going to be better, I'm not claiming scouting talent. But they played like pros, not jr players).

Heidt is a really good prospect, and I do wonder if I myself am underrating him at this point. And yes, on paper this looks like a very good draft class, though everything will have to play out first to confirm.

Main difference between Heidt and Cooley is defensive engagement, Cooley went a little under the radar in this aspect due to his dangles but he has shown some two-way chops that will endear him to NHL coaches.

Mar 12, 2009
In about 6-7 years, people are gonna be really sorry they didn't put respect on Hunter Brzustewicz's name.

This kid has hockey smarts for days. He's going to make a GM look incredibly smart.
I think teams getting him or Rehkopf in the 2nd will be very happy. Brzustewicz has been good despite having to suffer through a terribly executed system by a new coach.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I was never too high on Richie, but in my recent viewings, he's actually looked really good. I never saw a first line center with Ritchie dating back to last year, but think he's a good bet to be a solid 2C in the Kadri/Monahan realm. He's taken a step this year IMO and is much more involved/puck dominant. The only tool with Ritchie that I would say projects as high end are his hands though, but I don't see a huge weakness in his game either.

Oliver Moore is the best American in this class I believe, and it’s not only because he’s a Minnesota kid.
Not a chance

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When I look at the defenseman ranked in round 2 vs the defenseman ranked round 1... I feel like I would be tempted to wait until the 2nd round to draft a defenseman.

RD1
Sandin-Pelikka
Reinbacher
Gulyayaev
Dragicevic
Bonk

RD2
Strbak
Simashev
Price
Allen
Lindstein
Brzustewicz
Willander
Gibson
Dvorak
Strathmann
Akey
Burns
Morin
Molendyk

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think VAN needs a RD more than anything. As MTL and VAN fan (tough life aint it?) I definitely hope one of the two teams pick ASP Reinbacher in the 7-15 range.
If Vancouver's management weren't incompetent idiots they would be going into this draft with multiple firsts. And they could add some combo of Benson/Smith, Reinbacher/Sandin-Pelikka, and Musty/Perreault.

Instead, they'll steam their way back to 10th in the West and end up with the 14th selection. They'll take another "falling" player there like Lekkerimaki.

Mediocrity forever. Rinse. Repeat.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If Vancouver's management weren't incompetent idiots they would be going into this draft with multiple firsts. And they could add some combo of Benson/Smith, Reinbacher/Sandin-Pelikka, and Musty/Perreault.

Instead, they'll steam their way back to 10th in the West and end up with the 14th selection. They'll take another "falling" player there like Lekkerimaki.

Mediocrity forever. Rinse. Repeat.
This is true and et... why are you doing this to me ? :D
That being said I really don't get how VAN manages to be so bad with so much talent between Kuzmenko Horvat Miller Pettersson Boeser you have a great top 6. Defense is so bad but still !

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
That being said I really don't get how VAN manages to be so bad with so much talent between Kuzmenko Horvat Miller Pettersson Boeser you have a great top 6. Defense is so bad but still !

Goalies have underperformed this year, that has to be emphasized.

Having said such, their defense is horrendous and is the primary culprit.

Scoring 4 goals in a game should give a team a good chance of winning a game: for Vancouver, it's usually a sign they won't win the game.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The top-six only looks good on paper. Aside from Pettersson, none of those players are that good at driving play at 5v5. Miller has been awful at 5v5.

Pettersson is the only player in their top-six who is a plus-level defensive player.

It's not just the blueline. The team as a whole is extremely poor defensively. And the underlying metrics and results on ice demonstrate that.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Something about this list that bothers me a bit is that it’s really going for safety over upside outside of the top six guys. Yager, Barlow, Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, Ritchie, and Danielson all safely project to be middle-six forwards in some capacity, but none of them have first line upside.

I feel like that's in line with how NHL scouts think nowadays. That's why guys like Barzal, Jarvis, Raty, Robertson, Caufield, etc. keep ending up as steals.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I was never too high on Richie, but in my recent viewings, he's actually looked really good. I never saw a first line center with Ritchie dating back to last year, but think he's a good bet to be a solid 2C in the Kadri/Monahan realm. He's taken a step this year IMO and is much more involved/puck dominant. The only tool with Ritchie that I would say projects as high end are his hands though, but I don't see a huge weakness in his game either.

Not a chance
I agree with you and think Richie is going to become a very valuable / effective 2C in the NHL. Over the past couple of seasons I've seen a lot of him and he does a lot away from the puck that most people don't bother looking at (part of Wright's critics are that group). He has room to grow still, and as he gets that proverbial "man strength" his game will develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad