Bob McKenzie's 2023 mid-season draft rankings

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Something about this list that bothers me a bit is that it’s really going for safety over upside outside of the top six guys. Yager, Barlow, Dvorsky, Leonard, Moore, Ritchie, and Danielson all safely project to be middle-six forwards in some capacity, but none of them have first line upside.
Which players are missing that you see having first line upside?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ASP is the first defenseman on the board, at 17.

Obviously teams will draft dmen earlier than that, but interesting to note.
Normally I'm the guy who rants about how the Dmen are ranked unrealistically low, and am proven right come draft time, but this year seems to be different. There really aren't any great D prospects, and seem to be a lot of really good forwards. I can see only two dmen picked in the top 20, and that has happened...ever?
This can all change if someone tears it up in the last half of the season, though.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Cristall at 18 is the biggest surprise for me, a lot lower than I expected.

I wonder what the reservations are about his game? He is small, and is a “slow the game down” type, vs. someone who plays with a lot of pace, maybe scouts don’t like that combo? I suppose there’s an argument that he doesn’t play with enough pace to get separation at the NHL level, and won’t have the size/strength to fend off defenders when they do get close.
Maybe they see more Petan than Jarvis? :dunno:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Cristall at 18 is the biggest surprise for me, a lot lower than I expected.

I wonder what the reservations are about his game? He is small, and is a “slow the game down” type, vs. someone who plays with a lot of pace, maybe scouts don’t like that combo? I suppose there’s an argument that he doesn’t play with enough pace to get separation at the NHL level, and won’t have the size/strength to fend off defenders when they do get close.
I have never seen Cristall play but Button compares him to Suzuki, do you think it’s accurate?

CE8AF6E0-9D37-498C-AFA4-0C948D0C6977.jpeg

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
To me Dvorsky is easily a top 5 player in this draft. Smith have top 5 talent, for sure. Benson is really good aswell. In my ranking, I have Dvorsky at 5, Smith at 6 and Benson at 7. They all 3 really good prospect and teams will be happy to grab one of them at 5-7 range. They are easily top 2-3 talent on another draft.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To me Dvorsky is easily a top 5 player in this draft. Smith have top 5 talent, for sure. Benson is really good aswell. In my ranking, I have Dvorsky at 5, Smith at 6 and Benson at 7. They all 3 really good prospect and teams will be happy to grab one of them at 5-7 range. They are easily top 2-3 talent on another draft.

Sorry buddy.. Dvorsky had the profile coming in to maybe push for the top 5 but he has not taken a step at all offensively. Bob McKenzie said it from scouts as well.

He could go much higher if they see his offensive game grow but even scaling down to teenagers at the WJC he lacked the decision making, smoothness with the puck, creativity and zone entry/exit skills that you'd need out of a top 5 pick.

He's a 2 and you'll need to support him with playdriving wingers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sorry buddy.. Dvorsky had the profile coming in to maybe push for the top 5 but he has not taken a step at all offensively. Bob McKenzie said it from scouts as well.

He could go much higher if they see his offensive game grow but even scaling down to teenagers at the WJC he lacked the decision making, smoothness with the puck, creativity and zone entry/exit skills that you'd need out of a top 5 pick.

You see him at the Hlinka?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Just an observation.

BCHL players, by McKenize mid-term rank (ppg in year)

2023-36. Bradly Nadeau (1.97 in 2022-23)
2023-HM. Aydar Suniev (1.81 in 2022-23)
2023-14. Matthew Wood (1.85 in 2021-22)
2021-7. Kent Johnson (1.94 in 2019-20)
2019-20. Alex Newhook (1.92 in 2018-19)
2016-13. Tyson Jost (2.17 in 2015-16)

Obviously Wood and Johnson did in the D-1 years, but otherwise, appears Nadeau and Suniev are a bit low just based on their production. Its not like McKenize has dinged BCHL in the past.

Whats the story here?

Reactions: Bubbles and jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I’m not the guy you quoted, but IMO some “high risk/high reward” types that are outside the top 10 in Bob’s list:
- Sale (12)
- Cristall (18)
- Gulyayev (24)
- Musty (26)
- Dragicevic (27)
I'd take a flyer on Dragicevic, specially if I have another 1st

I haven't seen him outside of the WJCs, but it's a 19yo tournament. It's normal for him to look like that there. Even then I thought he was a very projectable guy at the NHL level. Not for top 5, but after that, in the 7 to 12 range, all guys have 'issues'.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
If we mixed in last year's draft core and this year's who'd be the highest picked player from last year?

I think I'd have Cooley first but overall he might be 7-9th

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I have never seen Cristall play but Button compares him to Suzuki, do you think it’s accurate?

View attachment 640392
Button is a WAY better talent evaluator than me (or basically any of us), but no, personally I don’t see Suzuki. IMO:
- Same age Suzuki was more fundamentally sound, physically stronger, played with more pace, and had a better/more technically sound skating stride (Cristall has great edges but isn't as speedy as Suzuki is/was)
- Cristall has better hands, more creativity, is a better passer, and is more deceptive/elusive

I personally see Cristall as more similar to same-age Giroux.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlafySZN

WayneGretzky

Jul 25, 2016
Just an observation.

BCHL players, by McKenize mid-term rank (ppg in year)

2023-36. Bradly Nadeau (1.97 in 2022-23)
2023-HM. Aydar Suniev (1.81 in 2022-23)
2023-14. Matthew Wood (1.85 in 2021-22)
2021-7. Kent Johnson (1.94 in 2019-20)
2019-20. Alex Newhook (1.92 in 2018-19)
2016-13. Tyson Jost (2.17 in 2015-16)

Obviously Wood and Johnson did in the D-1 years, but otherwise, appears Nadeau and Suniev are a bit low just based on their production. Its not like McKenize has dinged BCHL in the past.

Whats the story here?
Simple…There’s much more to the game of hockey than just points.

Reactions: Favin

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Maybe they see more Petan than Jarvis? :dunno:
Yeah, something like that. I personally quite like his game, but he’s a risky pick with plenty of bust potential. But IMO it’s worth betting on his combo of hockey IQ/vision, hands and elusiveness/deceptiveness. If he can get stronger, more explosive, and learn to play with more pace, he has really high potential.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
Well I cant speak for Dvorsky, because I have never seen him play.
So you are posting about the tenth post about the fact that it bothers you that Dvorsky is in front of Sale, but at the end of the day you have never seen Dvorsky play. Dear posters, I think nothing more need to be said.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This draft is absolutely stacked. Stoked the Ducks chose this year to suck extra hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad