Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Bolts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Bucci does talk up the Blues a lot but he sounds like a fan that's announcing a game. That's good because he's less robotic than most announcers. It's bad because he can lack flow and concentration.

I'm sorry but the women is terrible. Not a bad announcing voice (for a female) but not much knowledge. Although she blows away the in between the benches girl...wow embarrassing
Emily Kaplan (the 'between the benches girl') showed exactly how JR should be reporting the Tarasenko trade rumors. She reported that asking around the league, the sense is that he may still be available, but that his value is increasing. She reported on her conversation with Armstrong. Armstrong said he has a good relationship with Vladdy, and praised him for various things like being the first to report for camp, etc. Then she asked point blank if there was any change to the status of the trade request. Armstrong didn't answer. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT SHE REPORTED, that he didn't respond. That tells us what we need to know as fans. She's 10 times the journalist JR is.

I initially thought this was a Tampa broadcast crew, but as the game went along I found myself really enjoying them. I particularly liked Bucc helping AJ out when she kind of tripped over her words after Binnington's bad goal. It was the type of thing Pang does a lot. But it showed a lot of kindness and respect to his partner at a moment when she could have looked bad. AJ is still very green at this role, but I think she does a good job. Her unvarnished truthfulness is her best quality.

Honestly, I'm not sure what your criticisms are based on. Give me Kaplan between the benches every game if she can report like that between periods. She also did a good job of conveying Berube's words without actually swearing on TV. The Blues' crew is always more careful to not make Berube look bad.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That hit did remind me of playoff mode Barby... beautiful hit!

Absolutely terrible call. The Blues battled all the way back and there is 7 minutes left in a 3-3 hard fought game and they call that weak interference call you see ALL OF THE TIME! Tampa starter flopping all of the place once the Blues tied it. Got 2 PPs for it.

I was thinking the same thing. For all of the joking he was doing I'm surprised he didn't mention it even once.
They also didn't know/say that it was Brown's first goal as a Blue or that he grew up in St. Louis.
Umm, well, except for highlighting his Dad applauding his son's goal and identifying him as a former Blues defenseman. Maybe you were making a sandwich at that point?

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Emily Kaplan (the 'between the benches girl') showed exactly how JR should be reporting the Tarasenko trade rumors. She reported that asking around the league, the sense is that he may still be available, but that his value is increasing. She reported on her conversation with Armstrong. Armstrong said he has a good relationship with Vladdy, and praised him for various things like being the first to report for camp, etc. Then she asked point blank if there was any change to the status of the trade request. Armstrong didn't answer. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT SHE REPORTED, that he didn't respond. That tells us what we need to know as fans. She's 10 times the journalist JR is.

I initially thought this was a Tampa broadcast crew, but as the game went along I found myself really enjoying them. I particularly liked Bucc helping AJ out when she kind of tripped over her words after Binnington's bad goal. It was the type of thing Pang does a lot. But it showed a lot of kindness and respect to his partner at a moment when she could have looked bad. AJ is still very green at this role, but I think she does a good job. Her unvarnished truthfulness is her best quality.

Honestly, I'm not sure what your criticisms are based on. Give me Kaplan between the benches every game if she can report like that between periods. She also did a good job of conveying Berube's words without actually swearing on TV. The Blues' crew is always more careful to not make Berube look bad.

Aside from the absurd amount of food references I rather enjoyed the announcers tonight. NBC was always awful but this was pretty good tbh.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Buccigross referencing an old Weird Al video when a shot hit the post....just...who does that? "Ding Dong, yo." I decided immediately he was my new favorite announcer.

Edit - found a 5 second clip with it.

I just want to point out, this is the type of value I bring to this forum. Tell me what other poster is going to come through for you with these kinds of references? You think ChicagoBlues can pull this stuff off? Think again.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Buccigross referencing an old Weird Al video when a shot hit the post....just...who does that? "Ding Dong, yo." I decided immediately he was my new favorite announcer.

I just want to point out, this is the type of value I bring to this forum. Tell me what other poster is going to come through for you with these kinds of references? You think ChicagoBlues can pull this stuff off? Think again.

Uhhh excuse me! I am the king of pun and double entendre!!!

Now I have to think of something clever.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Odd start to the game but it was a fun one. First Blues game I've watched on espn and I loved the play by play from Buccigross. Thought Brown looked really solid and hope he can keep the momentum going.

Bucci is entertaining, that's for sure. How many times did he refer to Binnington as "Billington" during the game? And then towards the end, he started saying "Craig Binnington." Guess he got his wires crossed, but the guy is definitely a unique announcer.

Nice comeback for the home team. They started off like crap, but we were clearly the better team than a depleted Lightning team. Would have been a shame to let them walk away with the win, so kudos to the team for not giving up, being patient and getting the W.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I randomly just watched the "Fat" video the other day. Great times!

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Faulk has 5 points in the past 5 games. So he's coming alive offensively currently. Krug needs to step it back up to where he was before he went out on covid.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

My favorite video of all time by a wide margin!
my kids are 26, 24 and 19 - once or twice a year I kind of force them to watch it while pretending I have never shown it to them before; I get some top notch eye rolls out of it

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Sexism at its finest right here. Anytime you say someone is "not bad, for a female", its not a compliment, its sexist. AJ Mleczko knows more about hockey than you ever will. She is in the hockey hall of fame. She's been covering hockey for years in some capacity, covering multiple Olympics, college and women's hockey. She showed more knowledge of hockey in 60 minutes than you have shown in the 2+ years since you joined.

Seriously, what great nuggets of wisdom can you share that she did not? What were the huge gaps in her knowledge? The way people are complaining, you'd think there were some huge misinformation, or big moments of silence or something else outlandish. But no, they just don't like women in the booth.
Yes!!!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sexism at its finest right here. Anytime you say someone is "not bad, for a female", its not a compliment, its sexist. AJ Mleczko knows more about hockey than you ever will. She is in the hockey hall of fame. She's been covering hockey for years in some capacity, covering multiple Olympics, college and women's hockey. She showed more knowledge of hockey in 60 minutes than you have shown in the 2+ years since you joined.

Seriously, what great nuggets of wisdom can you share that she did not? What were the huge gaps in her knowledge? The way people are complaining, you'd think there were some huge misinformation, or big moments of silence or something else outlandish. But no, they just don't like women in the booth.
Call me sexist, but women at hockey broadcast just doesn't work imho. They have knowledge, but their sound just doesn't fit in men's hockey. Women's can broadcast their own women's hockey. Sorry.

But in commercial brake or end of period if there is women interviewing somebody it's just fine, but while game is going their voice just doesn't fit in there. :dunno:

Reactions: Spektre

Mar 6, 2012
Screw you ESPN... hate that I missed this one.

So frustrating...

Mar 6, 2012
I may be on the outside here. But, what's wrong with ESPN? They aren't great by any means. But, they aren't terrible either.

My specific beef is that the are putting 4 games on streaming only services this year. I find their coverage itself to be fine... you know, when I can actually watch it with the $100 a month I pay to the cable company so I can watch Blues games and they don't decide to move them to a streaming service to try and squeeze a few extra bucks out of me.

Reactions: execwrite1

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
My specific beef is that the are putting 4 games on streaming only services this year. I find their coverage itself to be fine... you know, when I can actually watch it with the $100 a month I pay to the cable company so I can watch Blues games and they don't decide to move them to a streaming service to try and squeeze a few extra bucks out of me.
Idk, it might be because I already have Hulu I don't exactly mind.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Bucci is entertaining, that's for sure. How many times did he refer to Binnington as "Billington" during the game? And then towards the end, he started saying "Craig Binnington." Guess he got his wires crossed, but the guy is definitely a unique announcer.

Nice comeback for the home team. They started off like crap, but we were clearly the better team than a depleted Lightning team. Would have been a shame to let them walk away with the win, so kudos to the team for not giving up, being patient and getting the W.
Yes, he made a few mistakes. Both of them did.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
was just going to ask what others thought of browns game ? only caught part of the first on the radio ..
anyway .. i just want to know how brown looked ?

I was pleasantly surprised at Brown's game last night. He certainly skated with energy, didn't look out of place with the flow of the game, didn't leave any noticeable large gaps in his team's defence getting back down ice, raced for the puck when needed, and not only didn't shy away from contact, but initiated it on the forecheck and backcheck. He didn't play with hesitancy or nervousness, or watch action while he should have already made a decision and moved towards where he needed to be to make the required play. He scored a goal, made a nice pass, or two, did his part on the forecheck, cycling, and didn't hurt his line on defence. I'd say he had a good game, and want to see more of that kind of play from him.

Fitrix

Mar 25, 2019
You're right about 55-6 pair, but Scandella was going to be scratched until Bozo tested for COVID. He had lowest ice time of any of our D, and I don't know breakdown but didn't seem like he was out with Parayko hardly at all.
For sure, and it was unfortunate with Bozak getting protocol'd. I saw the idea of Walman moving to 4L wing and would have liked to see that if they still wanted to scratch 6. We have rookies sometimes sit so they get a chance to watch the game, like with Neighbors before being sent back to Edmonton. Why not do the same with Scandella when we get a body or two back? Just my 2 cents, but as long as we get results, I don't personally care who is in. Just also can't help but question over-patience as a fan, but I don't know what the coaches and Army know, much smarter hockey minds than my own lol

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
They also didn't know/say that it was Brown's first goal as a Blue or that he grew up in St. Louis.
You must have been watching a completely different game. They showed his dad in the crowd about half a dozen times and did an entire segment talking about the picture of Brown/Maroon playing for the Jr Blues. "The woman" who you described as being unknowledgeable despite having "not a bad announcing voice (for a female)" specifically called him a St. Louis native directly following his first goal. Honestly, Brown being a St. Louis native and playing in his first game as a Blue was probably the most-discussed thing by the broadcast crew during last night's game.

Brown's Goal

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Call me sexist, but women at hockey broadcast just doesn't work imho. They have knowledge, but their sound just doesn't fit in men's hockey. Women's can broadcast their own women's hockey. Sorry.

But in commercial brake or end of period if there is women interviewing somebody it's just fine, but while game is going their voice just doesn't fit in there. :dunno:
Yeah man, that's a really f***ing sexist opinion.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Lots of angry clickity clack keyboards in here.

The attack of “isms” because folks have opinions and prefer their entertainment delivered in certain ways.

The online sheep herding can be entertaining if not taken too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad