Half-Assed GDT: Blues vs. Blue Jackets

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
For all the gnashing of teeth and hand-wringing on this forum, we're 2nd in the division and solidly in playoff position.

With the way certain people post about this team, you'd think we've thrown in the towel on the season and we're getting ready to tank for a high draft pick with a firesale right around the corner. :scared:

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
For all the gnashing of teeth and hand-wringing on this forum, we're 2nd in the division and solidly in playoff position.

With the way certain people post about this team, you'd think we've thrown in the towel on the season and we're getting ready to tank for a high draft with a firesale right around the corner. :scared:
And that's after a big spate of injuries and Covid cases and protocol absences, and with new players just getting to know their linemates. Imagine how good they'll be after everyone is fully healthy and they've played together for more than 25 games, or after the big trade is made for the top4 LD!

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

With the way certain people post about this team, you'd think we've thrown in the towel on the season and we're getting ready to tank for a high draft with a firesale right around the corner. :scared:
To be fair, we started off hot and gave ourselves a cushion. We could be NYI right now and be last in the division, but we have been lucky that our division isn't necessarily super strong. But I agree, we are in a playoff spot right now despite dropping a lot of easy games, so that's comforting.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

With the way certain people post about this team, you'd think we've thrown in the towel on the season and we're getting ready to tank for a high draft pick with a firesale right around the corner. :scared:

I have opinions but I believe in the team and the front office. Our boys will find a way.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

The frustration is because we have good team and opportunities to do damage but lack of consistency and lack of urgency make some of us wonder if something needs to change to reach potential. Hopefully tonight was harbinger of what is to come.

Reactions: stlwahoo

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Colorado will pass us since they have so many games in hand so we are realistically 3rd in the division. Dallas could pass us too with games in hand.

We are only in the playoffs by 2 points. So if we lost tonight, we would have dropped to the 9th seed in the West. That’s how close it is.

Obviously playoff standings don’t mean anything this early, but let’s put things into perspective here. This team is walking a tight rope with how inconsistent they are and the criticism is warranted.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Yep, what a difference a day makes. If we had just converted a couple more scoring chances, we wouldn't have lost at least a couple of those recent games. I saw a team failing to bury prime scoring chances and letting their foot off the gas pedal too often, not a team in full on crisis mode. No one said it's gonna be easy...

Great game for Husso, looks like he's turning into a pretty solid NHL goalie. I agree with others in this thread, I think it's time to recognize that Faulk is our 1D. He's doing it all right now.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

We're not really solidly in playoff position though. Colorado will likely pass us soon, Dallas can pass us by winning their games in hand and we're 2 points ahead of Nashville, 1 ahead of Winnipeg, all with a very tough stretch of games coming up.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Many played well last night, but Thomas and Husso were the stars of the game, in my view.

I don't want to be greedy, but when is Perunovich going to show us the offensive brilliance we were led to expect?

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I want this team to build off this win, if they just end up going back to all those bad habits next game, it'll be a waste

RobR

Nov 16, 2018
Colorado will pass us since they have so many games in hand so we are realistically 3rd in the division. Dallas could pass us too with games in hand.

We are only in the playoffs by 2 points. So if we lost tonight, we would have dropped to the 9th seed in the West. That’s how close it is.

Obviously playoff standings don’t mean anything this early, but let’s put things into perspective here. This team is walking a tight rope with how inconsistent they are and the criticism is warranted.

RobR

Nov 16, 2018
So if we lost tonight, we would have dropped to the 9th seed in the West.

Hope this was a typo

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I crap on him a lot, and rightfully so, but Mikkola played a really strong game tonight. He made a BEAUTIFUL, complete cross ice, neutral zone, saucer pass, RIGHT ON THE TAPE of a steaking winger on one breakout and with God as my witness I screamed out loud, "THAT'S HOW YOU PASS BIG GUY!" in my living room.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but for me the turning point of this game happened before the first Buch goal. On our first shift of the second period, there was a moment when Schenn was breaking into the offensive zone along the near boards. He crossed the blue line and had ROR behind him standing still on the wall. Since the Dallas game, I've noticed that in these types of situations, we almost 100% of the time drop the puck back to the guy standing still at the blue line - which has led to a lot of turnovers and broken plays, as that guy gets clamped down on by the backchecking winger and coughs up the puck. In this instance though, Schenn actually took a shot on net. Now it was a harmless shot that was deflected into the corner by the goalie, but I remember it so vividly b/c I thought to myself, holy shit, we actually shot the puck for once. That shot led directly to the offensive zone pressure from the end-of-shift ROR line to the beginning-of-shift Thomas line, which led directly to Buch's first goal. I guess my point is, this team has tried to get -way- too cute on offense recently, and that poor puck management has cost us wins. This was a textbook situation where just heading North and making the smart, simple play led to a much better outcome (and arguably sparked us for the rest of the way to the win). I love those little moments in a game that seem kinda random but actually make a big difference and for me, this was one of them. Kudos to Schenn for playing the game the right way and "dragging us into the fight," kinda thing.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I went back and looked to check if I had remembered it correctly:

upload_2021-11-28_11-30-43.png

This is the moment I'm talking about. In these situations we've dropped the puck off to the guy standing still at the blue line (In this case it's ROR) while the forward dishing (In this case Schenn) has driven the net. If I go forward about two seconds, you see this:

upload_2021-11-28_11-32-14.png

As you can see, if Schenn had dropped the puck backwards to ROR, the backchecking winger would be all over it, and ROR would have had zero options offensively as Kyrou was going for a change. You can see the backchecking winger cheating super hard towards a drop pass, to the point where he's lost middle contain on Schenn. Then Schenn takes a weak shot towards the net, which is not what Columbus expects at all, and he picks up the rebound with almost no contention, here:

upload_2021-11-28_11-36-54.png

Sure, it was a bit of a favorable bounce off the wall, but the D-man had to turn while Schenn did not. This play lead directly to the Buch goal, and sparked us finally putting shots on net instead of being cute. Just a cool sequence that I feel was deserving of mention.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
We're not really solidly in playoff position though. Colorado will likely pass us soon, Dallas can pass us by winning their games in hand and we're 2 points ahead of Nashville, 1 ahead of Winnipeg, all with a very tough stretch of games coming up.

Point is, we're in a good position all things considered.

Plenty of time to get our shit together.

Could be a lot worse.

Last edited:

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh

YAMAGOO #blastfromthepast :D

If our audio guy doesn't play this Miyagi song during the next home warm up skate or after the next buch goal then we need to replace him.

Blues just did a locker room question of "if you could only listen to one artist who you would listen to?" and Kostin said "Russian guy Miyagi" plus this song just slaps. Do everything you can to keep these Russians rolling bc they are fun to watch.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
A loss would have put us at .547 P%, tied with Nashville at 9th/10th in the west.

I'm not one to get caught up in "would haves" but all that tells me is how much parity there is in the league and Western Conference. Teams 4-12 are separated by 4 points. Did fans just expect the Blues would waltz through the regular season and into the playoffs without facing adversity?

Despite not playing our best most of the time, we're still in a good position. Sure it could be better, but there are plenty of good teams in the same boat that we are in.

Reactions: Drubilly

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I'm just glad they came to life after the loss in Chicago and an inert effort in the first period. I was not surprised we rebounded against Columbus. Had it been against Ottawa or Arizona, I would have been more concerned.....and I am only being slightly sarcastic.

If the pattern of playing our best when we face good teams holds true, we should look like the 70's Canadiens, 80's Islanders or Oilers, or 90's Avs over the next week.

I can only hope!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Bruh, all the hand-ringing was you. 4 hours before the above post....

I really thought this team was too talented to miss the playoffs.

Looking more and more like I might be wrong. :help:

Damn shame to see all this talent go to waste. :facepalm:

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
If our audio guy doesn't play this Miyagi song during the next home warm up skate or after the next buch goal then we need to replace him.

Blues just did a locker room question of "if you could only listen to one artist who you would listen to?" and Kostin said "Russian guy Miyagi" plus this song just slaps. Do everything you can to keep these Russians rolling bc they are fun to watch.

I’m normally not the biggest fan of music in other languages(I’m a big lyrics guy)…but this song is really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad