Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Kostin to Edmonton for Samorukov

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
A poor mans yakupov is bad, because yakupov himself was a poor mans version of the junior player yakupov.
So that means Kostin is a poor-poor player in the mold of Tanner Glass?
How has he looked in Bakersfield? Any chance he gets a call up with Kane out long term?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Kostin might be bad, but is Samorukov any better? Tucker got the call up over him. He isn't even 8th on our depth chart with Perunovich and Scandella out long term.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Kostin might be bad, but is Samorukov any better? Tucker got the call up over him. He isn't even 8th on our depth chart with Perunovich and Scandella out long term.
does it matter? he's no worse than Kostin who also wouldn't have made this team (even in the sorry state of the forward corps).

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
does it matter? he's no worse than Kostin who also wouldn't have made this team (even in the sorry state of the forward corps).
I mean a bit, but not much. The point of atrade is to improve the team, not shuffle deck chairs on the titanic. Kostin is better than Toropchenko. He hits just as much, but he at least has the ability to score on occasion. Samorukov is not better than Tucker.

Reactions: Frenzy31

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I mean a bit, but not much. The point of atrade is to improve the team, not shuffle deck chairs on the titanic. Kostin is better than Toropchenko. He hits just as much, but he at least has the ability to score on occasion. Samorukov is not better than Tucker.
i dunno...nothing wrong with shuffling deck chairs to give guys a fresh start. The Brown for Sanford trade is a perfect example. Both guys needed out, but I don't think either team got any better with the swap.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think this trade turns into nothing for both teams because I think both guys will wash out of North American hockey in the next 3 years. What do you expect to get for a deck chair on the Titanic? Kostin cleared waivers and very clearly wasn't going to be a contributor to our NHL team. You're not getting a slam dunk improvement to your NHL team in return for that since anyone could have had him for free. You're trading a project, so that's about what you can expect to get back in return.

I'm not judging the project we got back based on how they've looked in 11 AHL games with a new organization. I don't care where he's at in our depth chart 2 years after we got him. The goal is to develop him into something that Edmonton couldn't.

FWIW, Torpo passed Kostin on the depth chart down the stretch last year. He scored at a higher rate than Kostin in the AHL and was more impactful as an NHL 4th liner down the stretch than Kostin was at any point in his time with the Blues. Toropchenko hasn't been at all good this year, but he's also back 2 months earlier than expected from shoulder surgery and the whole team looks awful. If we're saying that Samorukov isn't better than Tucker based on their 11 games on the same AHL team so far, then I don't think you can say that Kostin is better than Toropchenko.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i dunno...nothing wrong with shuffling deck chairs to give guys a fresh start. The Brown for Sanford trade is a perfect example. Both guys needed out, but I don't think either team got any better with the swap.
The Brown/Sanford trade didn't help anyone either. You admit it didn't help the teams. Didn't really help the players. Zach signed with a new team at barely league minimum. Brown is fighting for playing time just like on his last team. So if that is a perfect example, than it proves my point that these trades are kinda pointless. They both, imo, hurt our team while not helping the players much at all.

I think this trade turns into nothing for both teams because I think both guys will wash out of North American hockey in the next 3 years. What do you expect to get for a deck chair on the Titanic? Kostin cleared waivers and very clearly wasn't going to be a contributor to our NHL team. You're not getting a slam dunk improvement to your NHL team in return for that since anyone could have had him for free. You're trading a project, so that's about what you can expect to get back in return.

I'm not judging the project we got back based on how they've looked in 11 AHL games with a new organization. I don't care where he's at in our depth chart 2 years after we got him. The goal is to develop him into something that Edmonton couldn't.

FWIW, Torpo passed Kostin on the depth chart down the stretch last year. He scored at a higher rate than Kostin in the AHL and was more impactful as an NHL 4th liner down the stretch than Kostin was at any point in his time with the Blues. Toropchenko hasn't been at all good this year, but he's also back 2 months earlier than expected from shoulder surgery and the whole team looks awful. If we're saying that Samorukov isn't better than Tucker based on their 11 games on the same AHL team so far, then I don't think you can say that Kostin is better than Toropchenko.

I am judging Kostin as better than Toropchenko based on what I have seen which is training camps and NHL time, not by any number of AHL games which I don't get the ability to watch. I am substituting the coaches and GMs opinion to call up Tucker over Samorukov because, again, I cannot watch much AHL.

I liked Kostin as a prospect. Power Forwards take time to develop. I think he had attitude issues that hurt his drive when he was played below a level he thought he deserved. That's not a good thing, but it explains his poor numbers. I prefer talent with an attitude problem to no talent with a great attitude. The attitude can be fixed. having no talent is harder to fix. Toropchenko has no hands and never will.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Brown/Sanford trade didn't help anyone either. You admit it didn't help the teams. Didn't really help the players. Zach signed with a new team at barely league minimum. Brown is fighting for playing time just like on his last team. So if that is a perfect example, than it proves my point that these trades are kinda pointless. They both, imo, hurt our team while not helping the players much at all.
We dealt Sanford primarily for cap purposes. Brown was lottery ticket we got on top of the cap space.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
But that is how Sanford trade did help us. That was where I was objecting. It wasn’t just deck chairs moving around.

And I am not disagreeing with you. The post I was referring to said the Sanford trade was a perfect example of shuffling deck chairs, like the Kostin deal. But aside from cap (which didn't help because we squandered it on Leddy) there were no benefits to the trade. Since the Kostin deal does not provide cap savings, using the Sanford deal as a positive example is not helpful.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Kostin did just get called up because of the Kane injury. Kostin had 4 points in 9 AHL games and was a -4. Small sample size so who knows how he looked, but that’s basically the same production we saw from him here. You would hope for more.

Re: Samorukov, I am not surprised that Tucker is ahead of him. The Blues like Tucker and more importantly, they know him. The Blues have watched Tucker in training camp, at Traverse City tournaments and all last season in the AHL. There’s not that same familiarity with Samorukov, he’s only played 11 games in our org. Our coaching staff doesn’t know much about him so it makes sense they probably want more of a scouting report after he plays some more games in Springfield. But yeah, I don’t ever expect him to become much.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Kostin did just get called up because of the Kane injury. Kostin had 4 points in 9 AHL games and was a -4. Small sample size so who knows how he looked, but that’s basically the same production we saw from him here. You would hope for more.

Re: Samorukov, I am not surprised that Tucker is ahead of him. The Blues like Tucker and more importantly, they know him. The Blues have watched Tucker in training camp, at Traverse City tournaments and all last season in the AHL. There’s not that same familiarity with Samorukov, he’s only played 11 games in our org. Our coaching staff doesn’t know much about him so it makes sense they probably want more of a scouting report after he plays some more games in Springfield. But yeah, I don’t ever expect him to become much.
Plus Kostin has something like 24 PIM.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Or it could just be as simple as Tucker's been on fire in Springfield.
7 points(tied for 5th on the team), 13 PIM's and +7 in those 11 games. He's been in beast mode this year.

Samorukov hasn't played poorly(he's the clear #3 in Springfield right now), but Tucker is clearly the best D man on our AHL roster. And Kessel isn't too far behind him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Or it could just be as simple as Tucker's been on fire in Springfield.
7 points(tied for 5th on the team), 13 PIM's and +7 in those 11 games. He's been in beast mode this year.

Samorukov hasn't played poorly(he's the clear #3 in Springfield right now), but Tucker is clearly the best D man on our AHL roster. And Kessel isn't too far behind him.
Well yeah, didn’t mean to discredit Tucker. I like him and he has played well. He’s earned it.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think the point of this trade was two GMs swapping guys they had given up on as a kindness, offering a slim opportunity to get a fresh start. I’d be shocked if Kostin didn’t request a trade.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wasn’t a fan of trading Klim. I wanted to see him get another year with keeping him in the lineup full time. He never got a full shot.
I think that he is likely a bottom 6 guy long term. Strong on the puck, plays fairly physical and is a decent passer and shooter as well. I think that your depth in the bottom 6 is what made him redundant. Our bottom 6 badly needed a player like him and realistically could still use another guy like him. He is making the most of his opportunity here and looks like a solid depth NHL player.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I think that he is likely a bottom 6 guy long term. Strong on the puck, plays fairly physical and is a decent passer and shooter as well. I think that your depth in the bottom 6 is what made him redundant. Our bottom 6 badly needed a player like him and realistically could still use another guy like him. He is making the most of his opportunity here and looks like a solid depth NHL player.
Yeah the problem here, as alluded to, was he was pretty much strictly a 4th liner, and the last few years between the NHL and the minors we had 5-6 guys all capable of it. So when he’d get into a slump he’d get swapped out, hence the no consistency in his game. Glad to see he’s playing well, always rooted for him and will still.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah the problem here, as alluded to, was he was pretty much strictly a 4th liner, and the last few years between the NHL and the minors we had 5-6 guys all capable of it. So when he’d get into a slump he’d get swapped out, hence the no consistency in his game. Glad to see he’s playing well, always rooted for him and will still.
St louis and Oilers needs to do more trades.. your spareparts is good for 3rd line in oilers.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Kostin two goals, penalty drawn, penalty taken halfway through the game tonight. Best I’ve seen him play, though that’s a pretty low bar to clear.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I was hoping Kostin could finally become a solid role player this year, but then I thought he looked pretty bad in the preseason. Maybe we gave up a year too early, but maybe it was never going to happen for him here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad