Confirmed with Link: Blues trade Kostin to Edmonton for Samorukov

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Remember Edmonton fans penciling this guy into their top 4. Good depth, at least. And we keep our number of Russians the same.

Reactions: TK 421

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Glad to see it. Figured we would make deal like this. Add depth defenseman, subtract guy who had no future here. Maybe he blossoms in Edmonton (although I doubt it) but wasn’t going to happen here.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Never understood love to Kostin, even before his draft. Samorukov on the other hand was solid, and he played for CSKA in the KHL and looked good. Not sure why he didn't make Edmonton. Maybe he'll be luckier with Blues.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Oilers fan here, this deal was primarily made because we need a player making less than 850k for opening day roster. Also a nice change of scenery for both. Samo has more potential than Kostin for sure, but I think your fourth line is a lot better than ours, so Kostin should have a spot there for us.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Samorukov is a decent but unspectacular defenseman that got hampered by injuries the last couple of seasons. He's behind both Broberg and Niemelainen on our depth chart so this is a good move for him to get an opportunity under a new team. Not sure what your NHL D depth looks like but he could probably be passable as a 6/7D with a solid #5 partner. What's the 411 on Kostin?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Glad to see it. Figured we would make deal like this. Add depth defenseman, subtract guy who had no future here. Maybe he blossoms in Edmonton (although I doubt it) but wasn’t going to happen here.
if he plays with mcdavid he will blossom. dont forget, mcdavid made maroon look like a 30 goal scorer

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
if he plays with mcdavid he will blossom. dont forget, mcdavid made maroon look like a 30 goal scorer
Highly unlikely unless we get a massive amount of injuries. Kane, Holloway and Hyman are all ahead of him at minimum for the top line LW spot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Great tools, questionable toolbox, takes way too many nights off.

Most of the time he's invisible.
But a few times a year(maybe 3-4 games total), if you get him really angry, he can take a game over.
Sounds like Zach Kassian! :lol: Oh well, at least this time we got that player at league minimum instead of $3 million +! :lol:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Great tools, questionable toolbox, takes way too many nights off.

Most of the time he's invisible.
But a few times a year(maybe 3-4 games total), if you get him really angry, he can take a game over.
When has Kostin even come close to taking a game over? He had that one 2-goal game where both goals were scored in the slot. Otherwise, he would occasionally have a game where he look the part of a 4th or 3rd line guy with some skill.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Samorukov is a decent but unspectacular defenseman that got hampered by injuries the last couple of seasons. He's behind both Broberg and Niemelainen on our depth chart so this is a good move for him to get an opportunity under a new team. Not sure what your NHL D depth looks like but he could probably be passable as a 6/7D with a solid #5 partner. What's the 411 on Kostin?
Pretty similar scouting report to be honest. Kostin has all the tools to be a very good bottom 6 winger but has struggled to put it together and has been passed by a couple guys on the Blues depth chart.

Has good top end speed but not great agility. Gets his shot of quickly and can surprise goalies but not a sniper by any means. Hits a lot and can be physical on the forecheck but doesn't seem to cause a lot of turnovers or protect the puck well enough. Will occasionally drop the gloves and when he does drop them Kostin is a very good fighter. His hockey IQ and consistent motor/drive have been questioned by many.

Kostin needed a change of scenery badly, hope he does well for you guys in Edmonton. I think he can be a decent bottom 6 wing option, but he is quickly running out of NHL chances.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Kostin has decent tools, no toolbox. Just doesn’t know where to go or able to read his teammates out there. A poor-man’s Yakupov.

His 1 NHL game was against the Blues and I remember Kyrou walked him twice in the 1st period with both leading to goals before they stapled him to the bench for the rest of the game.
Lol, yep! That’s him.

4 shifts total, got walked twice, stapled to the bench the rest of the game.

That’s the entirely of his NHL experience so far.

Reactions: eibyyz and Blueston

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kostin has decent tools, no toolbox. Just doesn’t know where to go or able to read his teammates out there. A poor-man’s Yakupov.

Lol, yep! That’s him.

4 shifts total, got walked twice, stapled to the bench the rest of the game.

That’s the entirely of his NHL experience so far.

Well hopefully he can reinvent himself a bit in a 4th line role because we badly needed a guy that can hit and fight on our 4th line so that Nurse and Kane can stay on the ice when other teams tough guys get rambunctious.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty similar scouting report to be honest. Kostin has all the tools to be a very good bottom 6 winger but has struggled to put it together and has been passed by a couple guys on the Blues depth chart.

Has good top end speed but not great agility. Gets his shot of quickly and can surprise goalies but not a sniper by any means. Hits a lot and can be physical on the forecheck but doesn't seem to cause a lot of turnovers or protect the puck well enough. Will occasionally drop the gloves and when he does drop them Kostin is a very good fighter. His hockey IQ and consistent motor/drive have been questioned by many.

Kostin needed a change of scenery badly, hope he does well for you guys in Edmonton. I think he can be a decent bottom 6 wing option, but he is quickly running out of NHL chances.
Depth for depth trade, hopefully it strengthens both teams depth.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Random stat of the day: Kostin and Samorukov had the exact same PPG in the AHL last year.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not bad. With Samorukov, Tucker, Kessel and Santini we should have enough depth call up options to get through the season.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Kostin has a pretty good shot IIRC, shame he could never put it all together. The welfare version of Yakupov seems like 100% accurate description of him.

Oh well, he won't be missed but good luck to him anyways.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Waived player for another waived player. Change of scenery deal.
Oiler fan here

This is one of those under the radar moves that actually from the oilers perspective--there is some context needed why the oilers moved him.

Numbers games--not bad numbers--just lots of young D running around. Most oiler fans had him making our team next year full time--but the problem is the oilers have 3 or 4 D guys under 25 that are all fighting for the same thing. Sound like the oilers are sending Broberg back to the AHL, he joins 3 other guys who are all almost ready for the NHL or at least a long look. He looks to be a good two way player, with a good first pass

and I admit--I know nothing about the guy we got for him

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well hopefully he can reinvent himself a bit in a 4th line role because we badly needed a guy that can hit and fight on our 4th line so that Nurse and Kane can stay on the ice when other teams tough guys get rambunctious.
Kostin needed a fresh start. He has squandered multiple opportunities to claim a 4th line spot on this roster. Last season the door was wide open with injuries, and he got passed up.

He has good enough physical tools for the NHL. But he is a one-man show and doesn't seem to know how to use his linemates to develop a play. I think the desire and effort are there, but the hockey sense just is not.

He got some very nice comments from coaches in the KHL and appeared to be a contributing member of the Gagarin Cup winners a couple years ago, but we never saw that mean anything in North America.

I suspect neither guy in this trade will amount to anything at the NHL level, but they're both at the stage of their careers where developmental potential is getting pretty thin. A fresh chance in a new organization is the last hurrah. Good luck to Klim!

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
His 1 NHL game was against the Blues and I remember Kyrou walked him twice in the 1st period with both leading to goals before they stapled him to the bench for the rest of the game.
Oh yeah, I do remember that. I remember thinking it was a tough break for the kid to get victimized like that his first game up. Hope he’s gotten better since then.😳

Reactions: stlwahoo and eibyyz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad