Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Now I’m really sorry I bumped the thread. Back on topic, please, or we’ll have to lock it and send it back to the dust bin.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Broberg asked for a trade back in December 2023

he never rescinded it.

You may have not patience for oiler fans but I came here to give context to WHY this happened. I have done nothing to antagonize blues fans or the team. I have bashed the oiler management for how they were blind to something A LOT of people.

And I will take the high ground in this discussion--unless you are saying Broberg's play is based 100% on how the blues developed him. If so how?

Oilers management screwed up big time
I don’t understand why you’re getting treated poorly here.

It’s debatable whether Broberg was developed optimally. It looks to me like he wasn’t given the role he could grow with the best, or wasn’t projected in that role this season either.

But so be it. If he asked for a trade and/or Oilers management didn’t see him as a Top 4 guy for them, why didn’t they trade him for assets they wanted? They could have controlled the type of return they got to help fill out the team they view as a contender now. The draft pick compensation they got could potentially be traded for deadline assets, but I think they could have done much better (a first at least) or gotten a salary-retained vet as part of the deal to fill a role.

They seem to have been banking on signing Brogerg cheap. I also think Broberg was right to request the trade, and that speaks to the less than ideal development going on. He clearly felt that way.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
AS an oiler Fan I have only one problem. We knew for 10 months Broberg DID NOT want to be an oiler and the question I have been asking is why oiler did not trade him when trade talks went nowhere? Oilers could have offered him 10 mill a year for 10 years and he wold have turned it down

Halloway I have no answer for except the oilers were and are in cap hell.
Sorry you're getting attacked around here. That's lame because you're being completely polite/reasonable.

However, I don't agree with the bolded. He requested a trade when he was in Bakersfield, where he remained until the last 2 games of the regular season. Development opportunity aside, that was a large financial hit. Being in the AHL cost him about half a million dollars in earnings last season compared to being in the NHL. There isn't a 22 year, former top 10 pick alive who wouldn't be frustrated to take that kind of pay cut. I think it is fair to say that he believed that he was an NHL-caliber player that should have been making NHL money. And when that opportunity wasn't presenting itself, he asked to be traded to a team where he would be in the NHL.

We know that he did not want to be a Bakersfield Condor making a $70,000 salary. We did not know that he didn't want to be an Oiler.

That is an important distinction, because a 1 way, 7 figure contract would have solved the financial issue. The Oilers likely believed that they could repair the relationship with a 1 way deal and a verbal commitment that he'd be an every day NHL player in 2024/25.

I think Edmonton botched it by not leaving more space for him, and (reportedly) playing hardball in negotiations. But I don't think it was a mistake to believe that they could repair the relationship.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wtf? Since when do we run off other fans who come to our board and act respectfully? When they are jerks or trolls, sure. But this guy was a polite visitor and a couple of y’all shat on him. Not cool. We are better than that.

Consider the source. It was pretty much only one person, and I don't know why he decided to get so combative. Thanks for stopping by @Jumptheshark

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sorry you're getting attacked around here. That's lame because you're being completely polite/reasonable.

However, I don't agree with the bolded. He requested a trade when he was in Bakersfield, where he remained until the last 2 games of the regular season. Development opportunity aside, that was a large financial hit. Being in the AHL cost him about half a million dollars in earnings last season compared to being in the NHL. There isn't a 22 year, former top 10 pick alive who wouldn't be frustrated to take that kind of pay cut. I think it is fair to say that he believed that he was an NHL-caliber player that should have been making NHL money. And when that opportunity wasn't presenting itself, he asked to be traded to a team where he would be in the NHL.

We know that he did not want to be a Bakersfield Condor making a $70,000 salary. We did not know that he didn't want to be an Oiler.

That is an important distinction, because a 1 way, 7 figure contract would have solved the financial issue. The Oilers likely believed that they could repair the relationship with a 1 way deal and a verbal commitment that he'd be an every day NHL player in 2024/25.

I think Edmonton botched it by not leaving more space for him, and (reportedly) playing hardball in negotiations. But I don't think it was a mistake to believe that they could repair the relationship.

Thank you.

I was just trying to give context to why the oiler screwed up so badly on both Broberg and Holloway. I think Holloway can turn into a bigger version Andrew Cogliano. Oilers have completely mishandled drafting, developing players and having no clue how to actually work the cap.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Broberg and Halloway are going to break out for us this year I just know it. They both got seasoning and put up good numbers in the AHL and have good playoff experience now too, and they’re at the age where they should start to blossom in the NHL.

I can’t f***ing wait for the season to start!
Bang on my friend

Reactions: shpongle falls

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
@ChicagoBlues , I love you, man, but I don't think Jumptheshark was here to brag or bag on us like other Oilers fans have. I believe he came in peace just to have a polite conversation, and that's the time where we welcome others to the board.

So...cut him a little slack, okay?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
you are taking shots at me--I understand that. SO be it.

I simply swung by to say you guys got a hell of a player and my team screwed up. I realize how that might offend some people on this board.
He doesn’t speak for the rest of us, appreciate your post and good luck this year man, you guys will be fun to watch

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He doesn’t speak for the rest of us, appreciate your post and good luck this year man, you guys will be fun to watch

I was not trying to antagonize anyone. If I did I apologize.
You guys lucked out into two players that are young and good. Oilers just screwed up everything with them both. You guys have a GM that understand how important it is to have cap space available and when given the the chance he pounced on not one but tow good young players. Why the oilers did not trade Broberg at the draft is beyond me--he made it clear he wanted out. Oiler management looks to be a shit show again. We are wasting not one but two generational talents and we will be in cap hell again next year and it may cost us Bouchard now

Reactions: DatDude44

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I was not trying to antagonize anyone. If I did I apologize.
You guys lucked out into two players that are young and good. Oilers just screwed up everything with them both. You guys have a GM that understand how important it is to have cap space available and when given the the chance he pounced on not one but tow good young players. Why the oilers did not trade Broberg at the draft is beyond me--he made it clear he wanted out. Oiler management looks to be a shit show again. We are wasting not one but two generational talents and we will be in cap hell again next year and it may cost us Bouchard now

You didn't. I get why Chicago is defensive; there was a lot of shit from Oilers fans that spilled over here, but I truly believe you came here in peace.

I can't wish your team luck because of the dramatic irony of what would happen...but I do hope you manage to keep McDavid and Bouchard; it'll be fun to see our teams compete for Lord Stanley's Cup.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Both have been better than I expected, and I expected both to be very good. Holloway doesn't look out of place int he top 6, but I think he needs to be 3C as soon as Thomas gets back. Broberg is a revelation. I knew getting him to left side would be beneficial, but he looks like a different player entirely. And he was good in the playoffs last year, but not this good. Looks so confident with the puck, looks amazing defending the rush. His skating is amazing, his stick is great, his passing is a lot better than I expected. That overtime assist was nasty. We all loved this move when it was made and even more when they weren't matched, but I don't think any of us knew how truly good it was going to be so soon.

Reactions: DatDude44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad