Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Now I’m really sorry I bumped the thread. Back on topic, please, or we’ll have to lock it and send it back to the dust bin.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Broberg asked for a trade back in December 2023

he never rescinded it.

You may have not patience for oiler fans but I came here to give context to WHY this happened. I have done nothing to antagonize blues fans or the team. I have bashed the oiler management for how they were blind to something A LOT of people.

And I will take the high ground in this discussion--unless you are saying Broberg's play is based 100% on how the blues developed him. If so how?

Oilers management screwed up big time
I don’t understand why you’re getting treated poorly here.

It’s debatable whether Broberg was developed optimally. It looks to me like he wasn’t given the role he could grow with the best, or wasn’t projected in that role this season either.

But so be it. If he asked for a trade and/or Oilers management didn’t see him as a Top 4 guy for them, why didn’t they trade him for assets they wanted? They could have controlled the type of return they got to help fill out the team they view as a contender now. The draft pick compensation they got could potentially be traded for deadline assets, but I think they could have done much better (a first at least) or gotten a salary-retained vet as part of the deal to fill a role.

They seem to have been banking on signing Brogerg cheap. I also think Broberg was right to request the trade, and that speaks to the less than ideal development going on. He clearly felt that way.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
AS an oiler Fan I have only one problem. We knew for 10 months Broberg DID NOT want to be an oiler and the question I have been asking is why oiler did not trade him when trade talks went nowhere? Oilers could have offered him 10 mill a year for 10 years and he wold have turned it down

Halloway I have no answer for except the oilers were and are in cap hell.
Sorry you're getting attacked around here. That's lame because you're being completely polite/reasonable.

However, I don't agree with the bolded. He requested a trade when he was in Bakersfield, where he remained until the last 2 games of the regular season. Development opportunity aside, that was a large financial hit. Being in the AHL cost him about half a million dollars in earnings last season compared to being in the NHL. There isn't a 22 year, former top 10 pick alive who wouldn't be frustrated to take that kind of pay cut. I think it is fair to say that he believed that he was an NHL-caliber player that should have been making NHL money. And when that opportunity wasn't presenting itself, he asked to be traded to a team where he would be in the NHL.

We know that he did not want to be a Bakersfield Condor making a $70,000 salary. We did not know that he didn't want to be an Oiler.

That is an important distinction, because a 1 way, 7 figure contract would have solved the financial issue. The Oilers likely believed that they could repair the relationship with a 1 way deal and a verbal commitment that he'd be an every day NHL player in 2024/25.

I think Edmonton botched it by not leaving more space for him, and (reportedly) playing hardball in negotiations. But I don't think it was a mistake to believe that they could repair the relationship.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wtf? Since when do we run off other fans who come to our board and act respectfully? When they are jerks or trolls, sure. But this guy was a polite visitor and a couple of y’all shat on him. Not cool. We are better than that.

Consider the source. It was pretty much only one person, and I don't know why he decided to get so combative. Thanks for stopping by @Jumptheshark

Reactions: WaltPoddubny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad