Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was thinking about the offer sheets some more, and in my mind we are finally even with the Oilers for getting fleeced on the Jerabek trade. Don't see what they have to complain about.

(Looking back, it does seem like the Blues have a lot of trade history with Edmonton over the last decade or so. Nothing turned into much of anything, though.)

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I was thinking about the offer sheets some more, and in my mind we are finally even with the Oilers for getting fleeced on the Jerabek trade. Don't see what they have to complain about.

(Looking back, it does seem like the Blues have a lot of trade history with Edmonton over the last decade or so. Nothing turned into much of anything, though.)

They still owe us for Pronger

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

It's pretty rare when someone beings up a Blues player from the last 40 years and I have no recollection of the player whatsoever. Jerabek is one of them.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Broberg and Halloway are going to break out for us this year I just know it. They both got seasoning and put up good numbers in the AHL and have good playoff experience now too, and they’re at the age where they should start to blossom in the NHL.

I can’t f***ing wait for the season to start!

Damn right. They are both good, really good.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
I feel like our expectations and excitement are outpacing Broberg's actual level as a player at this point. I hope the burden of those expectations don't weight him down. Or better yet, he surprises and lives up to them.

Either way, this move certainly kept the offseason a bit more spicy for us. Hopefully the season will be, too.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

The great Jerabek trade.

Played 8ish minutes and -3 and 2 PIMS. That was the writing on the wall.

He did have a longer career as a Blue than Kyle Wellwood and Marek Svatos (RIP).

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I feel like our expectations and excitement are outpacing Broberg's actual level as a player at this point. I hope the burden of those expectations don't weight him down. Or better yet, he surprises and lives up to them.

Either way, this move certainly kept the offseason a bit more spicy for us. Hopefully the season will be, too.

It's fair to question what Broberg's actual level is at this point, but there are valid reasons why people are bullish on both players.

1. Draft pedigree; it's clearly not the end-all-be-all, but there is a reason why Celebrini went first overall in this year's draft. In this case, Broberg was drafted 8th overall in 2019 while Holloway was drafted 14th overall in 2020 (12 spots ahead of Neighbours).
2. Age; both players will be 23 years old to start this season. That tends to be the ripe age when players begin to take a significant step forward (and maybe a step they couldn't have taken in years past due to limited playing time and opportunities in Edmonton).
3. Recent playoff performance; both players were able to step up and play important roles in Edmonton's deep playoff run. That tends to bode well for player's confidence moving forward.

PSA: it's not anyone's responsibility to downplay other people's expectations. If other people want to be optimistic, then that's their choice. The rollercoaster of excitement and disappointment is part of sports.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Not usually a fan of necro-bumping threads but this seemed to be the best place to put this. It is early, but I’m pretty comfortable saying that both Broberg and Holloway are going to be worth the contracts they signed. Both were seen at the time as calculated overpayments, but I see both players providing full value for their respective deals.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not usually a fan of necro-bumping threads but this seemed to be the best place to put this. It is early, but I’m pretty comfortable saying that both Broberg and Holloway are going to be worth the contracts they signed. Both were seen at the time as calculated overpayments, but I see both players providing full value for their respective deals.

AS an oiler Fan I have only one problem. We knew for 10 months Broberg DID NOT want to be an oiler and the question I have been asking is why oiler did not trade him when trade talks went nowhere? Oilers could have offered him 10 mill a year for 10 years and he wold have turned it down

Halloway I have no answer for except the oilers were and are in cap hell.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
AS an oiler Fan I have only one problem. We knew for 10 months Broberg DID NOT want to be an oiler and the question I have been asking is why oiler did not trade him when trade talks went nowhere? Oilers could have offered him 10 mill a year for 10 years and he wold have turned it down

Halloway I have no answer for except the oilers were and are in cap hell.
And the Oilers are NOT winning the Cup this season or next or……

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And the Oilers are NOT winning the Cup this season or next or……

I am playing nicely here. We knew Broberg was going to be good, we developed him properly--he just did not like it and wanted out. Oiler management were blind to what was going on. for 10 months we knew he wanted out--why we did not trade him is the question.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I am playing nicely here. We knew Broberg was going to be good, we developed him properly--he just did not like it and wanted out. Oiler management were blind to what was going on. for 10 months we knew he wanted out--why we did not trade him is the question.
And I have little patience for Oilers fans. Your post is pure Twilight Zone.

Oilers did NOT develop him properly and most of you hated him, so what is this bullshit?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And I have little patience for Oilers fans. Your post is pure Twilight Zone.

Broberg asked for a trade back in December 2023

he never rescinded it.

You may have not patience for oiler fans but I came here to give context to WHY this happened. I have done nothing to antagonize blues fans or the team. I have bashed the oiler management for how they were blind to something A LOT of people.

And I will take the high ground in this discussion--unless you are saying Broberg's play is based 100% on how the blues developed him. If so how?

Oilers management screwed up big time

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Broberg asked for a trade back in December 2023

he never rescinded it.

You may have not patience for oiler fans but I came here to give context to WHY this happened. I have done nothing to antagonize blues fans or the team. I have bashed the oiler management for how they were blind to something A LOT of people.

And I will take the high ground in this discussion--unless you are saying Broberg's play is based 100% on how the blues developed him. If so how?

Oilers management screwed up big time
You have no high ground.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Oiler fans need to get lost already. Go cry on your own board.

As mentioned above, this trade is payback for you getting Pronger from us for a bag of Cheetos. I hope Broberg keeps playing well!

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Oiler fans need to get lost already. Go cry on your own board.

As mentioned above, this trade is payback for you getting Pronger from us for a bag of Cheetos. I hope Broberg keeps playing well!
No shit!

Bunch of f***ing idiotic inane bullshit slathered all over HF.

This entire website has had to endure Oilers fans stupid shit. So f*** off now.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
you are taking shots at me--I understand that. SO be it.

I simply swung by to say you guys got a hell of a player and my team screwed up. I realize how that might offend some people on this board.
Whatever

Developed him properly and knew he would be good. Laughable. Twilight Zone

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As usual, Oilers fans got nothin.

You really need to work on your comprehension.

How much hatred did Broberg have for the oilers? He told his agent to whatever he could to make sure the oilers could not match whatever offer sheet he got.

Him leaving the oilers has more to do with him hating the oilers than how smart the blues are. Broberg's agent put the the deal together and went to the blues---who could not agree fast enough

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You really need to work on your comprehension.

How much hatred did Broberg have for the oilers? He told his agent to whatever he could to make sure the oilers could not match whatever offer sheet he got.

Him leaving the oilers has more to do with him hating the oilers than how smart the blues are. Broberg's agent put the the deal together and went to the blues---who could not agree fast enough
You really want to go the reading comprehension argument?

Classic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad