Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
According to HFOilers, Bob Stauffer (Oilers media guy) spoke with former GM Brian Lawton who said Armstrong went to Holland before the tdl with an idea of a package deal involving Buchnevich, Broberg and Holloway, which Holland declined.

EDIT: I guess this is not really news.
I saw this reported elsewhere too. Makes sense. I prefer how it ended up working out.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think it is a pretty safe bet that the Oilers 2025 1st rounder would have been coming our way as well in that proposed Buch trade. I still prefer the way it worked out, but I don't think it is fair to Edmonton to assume that it would have only been Broberg and Holloway as the cost to get Buch.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
No, we are not dealing Broberg.

Army: Yoink!
the guffaw i just guffawed 😂😂

YOINK!
gotcha-bitch-bitch.gif

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think it is a pretty safe bet that the Oilers 2025 1st rounder would have been coming our way as well in that proposed Buch trade. I still prefer the way it worked out, but I don't think it is fair to Edmonton to assume that it would have only been Broberg and Holloway as the cost to get Buch.
Not at all. It was some sort of package involving the three players. I'm always curious to know the details of the negotiations. The whole risk/advantage thing is usually what is most salient to me, but I sometimes get a little lost on value.

Reactions: themilosh

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Given how thin we are at center, why would we trade Dean (unless in package for better center)?
I certainly wouldn't trade him at least until we see how his game translates to The NHL, and how fast he improves his game during his 1st 2 NHL seasons. He'd at LEAST make a good 4th Liner, and 3rd Liner fill-in for injured players. I think he'll make a very solid 2-way 3rd Line centre. So, I'd only let him go early in his career if we can get a massive overpay.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
These offer sheets broke the morons on the oilers board. I didn’t think their takes could get any more r*tarded.

They've convinced themselves that Holloway is gutted that he had to leave the Oilers because he wasn't smiling enough in his interviews. That he should fire his agent for tricking him into signing the offer sheet.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Not if they believe the team they are on is offering fair value. Blues have 78 mil committed next year. That's with 10F, 5D and 1G already signed. With another small increase to cap they will likely have around 15 mil to sign Neighbours, Hofer and Toropchenko and adding youth to fill out the rest of the rosters. Contracts wise we are in a fantastic position as several high dollar contracts will be expiring as our need for cap space will rise.
I agree, the Blues are in great shape, however if an RFA looks at Broberg asking for 1.8 from the Oilers, and getting an offer sheet from the Blues for 4.58, then any RFA is going to think about not signing a contract until other Teams have had the chance to send over a Offer Sheet.

Since Neighbours has been brought up, lets say Neighbours has a really good season in 24-25, and nets 45-50 points. That would put him at roughly .47 - .50 points per game in his career. Now Lundell and Byfield, both drafted in 2020 like Neighbours, had .49 Byfield and .52 Lundell, career point per game numbers, when they signed their new deals this summer, 5 million AAV Lundell and 6.25 AAV Byfield.
Now if Neighbours hits those marks and the Blues offer him anything less then a comparable contract, he should absolutely go to July 1 and see what other Teams are willing to offer.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I agree, the Blues are in great shape, however if an RFA looks at Broberg asking for 1.8 from the Oilers, and getting an offer sheet from the Blues for 4.58, then any RFA is going to think about not signing a contract until other Teams have had the chance to send over a Offer Sheet.

Since Neighbours has been brought up, lets say Neighbours has a really good season in 24-25, and nets 45-50 points. That would put him at roughly .47 - .50 points per game in his career. Now Lundell and Byfield, both drafted in 2020 like Neighbours, had .49 Byfield and .52 Lundell, career point per game numbers, when they signed their new deals this summer, 5 million AAV Lundell and 6.25 AAV Byfield.
Now if Neighbours hits those marks and the Blues offer him anything less then a comparable contract, he should absolutely go to July 1 and see what other Teams are willing to offer.
Byfield is being paid for his most recent season as that's who he'll be moving forward (bonafide play driving top forward). Lundell is a center, better defensively, and just won a Stanley Cup. I would be surprised if Neighbours were to reach that threshold even with that point mark and an improved season. Unless Neighbours hits 35 goals or 60 points, I'd consider his max ~4.5M.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Byfield is being paid for his most recent season as that's who he'll be moving forward (bonafide play driving top forward). Lundell is a center, better defensively, and just won a Stanley Cup. I would be surprised if Neighbours were to reach that threshold even with that point mark and an improved season. Unless Neighbours hits 35 goals or 60 points, I'd consider his max ~4.5M.
I’d agree with this.

The other factor, is an offer sheet is really only effective if it puts the original team in a big bind with the Cap. As long as the Blues give themselves some cushion, they shouldn’t be at too much risk of either Neighbours or Hofer getting an offer sheet (if they’re even still unsigned by then). I mean, look at Detroit. They have one of the best young d-men in the game as an unsigned RFA right now in Moritz Seider. Why isn’t that guy getting signed to an offer sheet?? Because Detroit has $17M in cap space. There'd be no point. The Blues were successful here because the Oilers put themselves into a bind.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

Blues would match anything up to the 2nd round compensation tier (i.e. Broberg's AAV). That's the benefit of not having three 10M+ AAV contracts on the books. As much as I love Neighbours or any of our current upcoming crop of RFAs, if any Blues RFA signed an offer sheet in the future at the 1st and 3rd comp range and above, I would have to strongly consider not matching. No fear of retaliation at all from the Oilers or from around the league.

Reactions: BrokenFace

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Blues would match anything up to the 2nd round compensation tier (i.e. Broberg's AAV). That's the benefit of not having three 10M+ AAV contracts on the books. As much as I love Neighbours or any of our current upcoming crop of RFAs, if any Blues RFA signed an offer sheet in the future at the 1st and 3rd comp range and above, I would have to strongly consider not matching. No fear of retaliation at all from the Oilers or from around the league.
I would rather match and keep a known commodity then rolling the dice on another a draft pick and waiting the 2-4 years for development.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Lundell is a center who is much better defensively than Neighbours AND had a monster playoffs before signing his deal (17 points in 24 games). He was also pretty darn good in their run to the Final in the previous year. If the only thing Neighbours adds to his performance last year is the 7-12 assists needed to hit the 45-50 point range (while repeating his 25+ goal effort), I'd would be willing to go to the $5M AAV Lundell got if Neighbours gives us 8 years of term. If Neighbours hits those production benchmarks AND takes a big step forward defensively then I would be happy to give him the $5M x 6 years that Lundell got.

I think everyone in the hockey universe agrees that Byfield has more upside than Neighbours. He's much bigger, he's been better than Neighbours in each individual season since they became known as legit NHL prospects, and he has a history playing center. I don't believe there is a single NHL GM who would take Neighbours in a straight up swap for Byfield. I don't see Neighbours having any real success trying to use Byfield as a comp.

I don't expect the Blues to be lowballing Neighbours or looking for a 1-2 year bridge if he takes another step forward this season. If Neighbours is pacing for a 25+ goal and 20+ assist year by January, I'd fully expect that the Blues would be pitching 6+ year offers that were worth $25M+. That is a much different scenario than what Edmonton was doing and a competent agent would be able to articulate that the Blues aren't nearly as vulnerable to offer sheets as Edmonton (and that teams would thus be much less willing to try an offer sheet).

I would rather match and keep a known commodity then rolling the dice on another a draft pick and waiting the 2-4 years for development.

Depends on the AAV and term for me. The cap will increase again next summer, so the top end of the 1st+3rd compensation tier will likely be a bit over $7M. If the 'known commodity' of Neighbours is a 25 goal, 20-25 assist, physical player with below average defensive ability I would think very hard about taking the picks. That said, I don't think a team would be willing to give up an unprotected 1st and 3rd to pay such a player $7M a year.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
These offer sheets broke the morons on the oilers board. I didn’t think their takes could get any more r*tarded.

R-word aside (I have autism and had that slur used a lot against me as a kid.), I have to agree.

It's been a complete 180 from what these guys thought of Broberg and Hollway before. And a lot of extracurricular stuff: Broberg's and Holloway's "body language" saying they're "unhappy to be here", in our apparent "crime-ridden city in Missouri" instead of Edmonton (which is a nice city in a good country; I refuse to insult their city like they did mine), us being "unable to re-sign our twelve first round picks" with our "half-a-dozen fans", Armstrong being a "charlatan" for not playing Kostin, etc., etc., and so forth.

Just...so much damned salt and bitters that you know they wouldn't be able to get away with on the main boards, so they post it there where it gets buried.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I was just reading up on Broberg and found these two articles. They make me more optimistic about his potential and based on the 2nd article, he might actually be a decent power play option as well.

Thanks for sharing these.

I feel there's a bit of rose coloured glasses effect coming from an Oilers centric report, but I do really like the breakdown of what he does well vs where he needs improvement - especially with the emphasis placed on Broberg being forced to play his offside in the 22-23 season alongside injured partners before being sent back to the minors to develop further.

I think it's particularly important to remember that Broberg should he hit his ceiling is more likely to be a JBo light than a 1D or 2D. His best case scenario is he becomes a complementary player to that 1/2D, that allows them to fully exploit their skill set and maximize the effectiveness of that pairing - rather than providing the key elements of an immensely successful pairing himself.

That's not a bad thing. If Broberg meshes with Faulk and/or Parayko and they play to their strengths with a good defensive partner that can also move the puck and assist in the transition, that's a large improvement to the defence from last year. Big thing is, Broberg is described as tentative and needs reps - he's going to make mistakes, he needs to be allowed to play through them and learn.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

I think you're overlooking other factors involved in Holloway and Broberg signing offersheets. It wasn't only the money. They were both unhappy in Edmonton, Holloway knew there was no room for him to advance into the top 6 and Broberg was being forced to play his off side and plus, it get to like -40 in Edmonton, f*** that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad