Speculation: Early Buyer/Seller predictions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
For example nobody is expecting it but with Nuke and Langdeskog both out of the lineup, I think there is a world where Colorado could be a seller if only for this year.

Just to clarify here... Both of these guys are expected to be back in the lineup by like December 1, possibly earlier.

The Avs are actually going to have the deepest forward group they've had to start a season, since the year they won the cup.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Agreed, probably a mixture of both but really depends on how the season goes and the younger guys develop.
Agreed, I can see them moving our older players (Faksa and Suter as example) to try to bring in younger players if they become available. Armstrong has shown he's willing to do things outside of the norm of he thinks he can make the team better long term.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just to clarify here... Both of these guys are expected to be back in the lineup by like December 1, possibly earlier.

The Avs are actually going to have the deepest forward group they've had to start a season, since the year they won the cup.

Ah Well then that's different I was under then impression there was a possibility they would miss the season.

In that case as long as they can tread water until then they should be fine.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Columbus will obviously be a seller, Provorov will be gone by the TDL and maybe a bottom six vet like Kurlay or Danforth depending on how the comparable kids do. If Elvis shows a pulse maybe a team gets interested at 50% but I doubt it.

Edit: rereading the OP, Oops, I guess they don't apply as a surprise. I'll go with Utah as a surprise buyer, I think they'll sneak into the playoffs and they have lots of capital to use.
UtHC could be a buyer, but I see them more as a "staying pack" just because of who they'll bring in next season, an influx of rookies, but injuries do happen. I do disagree that they'll sneak in. They will have solid goaltending to go with solid defense as well as a relentless attacking offense from their top 3 lines and one of the best shut down 4th line. Their PK has improve also.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I wouldn't be shocked if Trotz is borderline stupid at this deadline. If we are anywhere close to competitive, I assume he'll use some of his prospects and accumulated picks to add anything he feels will benefit the team down the stretch.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Washington I think will buy but if things go south they have some guys that are pending UFAs that could fetch assets (Nic Dowd, Andrew, Mangiapane, Chuckie Lindgren, Logan Thompson, Jacob Chychrun). That said, I think they re-sign Chychrun and one of Lindgren or Thompson.

I could see them look to buy a true top six LW.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
As a Wings fan the defense is still awful and probably worse than last season. I think Detroit could be a seller if they fall far enough behind.

The defense needs work but overall think it will be an improvement.
Edvinsson > Walman
Talbot > Reimer
Then guys like Sprong and Ghost gone, who contributed only on one side of the ice . More addition by subtraction.

I wouldn't be shocked if Detroit was a buyer. Something like the Debrincat trade but on the back end.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I also think the Blues could be a seller.

While the Blues have modest expecations this year, we don't have that many interesting pieces to sell besides the one-year deal guys like Kapanen, Suter and Faksa. Saad and Leddy are less likely as they have an extra year left and while many Blues fans would like to see Faulk and Schenn moved I can't see that happening any time soon.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Winnipeg regressing to the mean could open the door to sell in an attempt to recover what was lost in Monahan trade. Ehlers, Pionk and Iafallo are 2025 UFAs at this time.

Surprise buyer: Buffalo. If the Sabres are close to the playoffs mid season, they should buy something. The players and fans would deserve it.
The Jets were the best defensive team in the league last year and comfortably made the playoffs. This is just as bold as calling Colorado sellers.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I feel like both Calgary and Columbus will technically be both buyers and sellers.

Quantity for Quality type moves and also taking on extra cap to leverage some decent players who will contribute to the team for multiple seasons at least.

Calgary and Columbus both technically have to be buyers as well. IIRC, CBJ is currently #1 for cap space (below floor) and Calgary is #3? Straight selling and they've got cap floor issues.
I mean they'll probably take back short term money and maybe third party retain in a trade but I don't really consider that buying

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I mean they'll probably take back short term money and maybe third party retain in a trade but I don't really consider that buying

I don't expect either team to take on cap dumps is what I mean. Short term money, sure. But IMO that technically means they're targeting roster players to acquire. They'll be intentional of the players with cap hits they're taking back. Not really allowing the opposition team to just toss out a random name and send over.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Obviously It's early, It's only September but I'm curious who do you think will be the buyers and sellers this season?

I'm not necessarily talking about teams we know will be sellers like the Ducks, Sharks, Hawks, Wings or Sabres because those teams are obvious.

I'm talking about the surprise buyer and seller.

For example nobody is expecting it but with Nuke and Langdeskog both out of the lineup, I think there is a world where Colorado could be a seller if only for this year.

I also think the Blues could be a seller.

I see Ottawa as a potential surprise buyer depending on how Ullmark does.

it Would be interesting to look back on this thread in 6 months and see who is right.

Wait, so the obvious sellers are 3 teams who finished at or very near the bottom in each of the past 2 years and 2 teams that each missed the playoffs by a single point over that period.

Scratches head, then checks poster’s user name and says “ah, OK”

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Is Nuke really going to show his face in that lockerroom again?

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Penguins will be sellers, even if they are playoff bound. Pettersson will likely be available.

If they aren't playoff bound...
As well, any player not named Crosby/Malkin/EK/Letang, and above 27 years old.

If they are playoff bound...
They may also be small buyers depending on needs.

They likely will also be cap space seller to help others facilitate trades. Not multi-year though.

That's my take :).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
While the Blues have modest expecations this year, we don't have that many interesting pieces to sell besides the one-year deal guys like Kapanen, Suter and Faksa. Saad and Leddy are less likely as they have an extra year left and while many Blues fans would like to see Faulk and Schenn moved I can't see that happening any time soon.

I don't think they would have any problem moving Saad.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

And if those players are not available at the deadline - the Avs have a ton of cap-space and IMO are 10x more likely to try to fill-out around McK, Rantanen, Makar, Toews than do something silly and sell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad