Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You dont think the salaries paid to Holloway and Broberg affect the negotiations of your RFAs?
Did you read what I said? Yes, they won’t matter. Market valuation for the years the players are signing for will matter the most.

Remember, players often ignore offer sheets when they are negotiating in good faith with a team they like, and have a good relationship with the front office. That wasn’t the case in Edmonton. Armstrong has done a really good job structuring the bridge deals fairly for guys.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean hopefully they perform well enough that they command crazy raises. Broberg develops into a true 50pt #1 defenseman and Holloway a 30+ goal scoring PWF. I think the Blues will happily pay those crazy raises if that's the case.
I don't expect either player to play to the level of their contract in year 1. Too much to expect. Broberg, see if he can solidify his spot on a 2nd pairing and play the 20-22 minutes a game. Holloway, stay healthy and be productive on a 3rd line with a goal total in the teens and 30 points would be a solid first season.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It’s great to see the Blues accomplish this. I was never high on Holloway in his draft year. But getting him for a 3rd is great. Broberg could be a great compliment to the current and future defense.

I’m losing no sleep trading away Paul Fischer. I never liked his physical talents much and I think the Blues are swimming in defensemen like him in the current prospect pool. Besides, it’s now less confusing when trying to talk about a “Fischer” on the Blues.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I don't expect either player to play to the level of their contract in year 1. Too much to expect. Broberg, see if he can solidify his spot on a 2nd pairing and play the 20-22 minutes a game. Holloway, stay healthy and be productive on a 3rd line with a goal total in the teens and 30 points would be a solid first season.

I mean obviously my comment was tongue in cheek, pie in the sky. I don't expect that of them at all but if they did do that signing them to a new large contract afterwards would be a good problem to have.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Did you read what I said? Yes, they won’t matter. Market valuation for the years the players are signing for will matter the most.

Remember, players often ignore offer sheets when they are negotiating in good faith with a team they like, and have a good relationship with the front office. That wasn’t the case in Edmonton. Armstrong has done a really good job structuring the bridge deals fairly for guys.
@aspin3 is not being genuine in his/her approach. There's been lots of banter at HFOilers about OS Neighbours next year, but the Blues' FO is not dumb enough to let that happen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'll be honest I know everyone

I mean obviously my comment was tongue in cheek, pie in the sky. I don't expect that of them at all but if they did do that signing them to a new large contract afterwards would be a good problem to have.
If they are both worthy of their QOs in 2 years, then it was a good OS to make. That's the hope and expectation.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'll be honest I know everyone has Broberg penciled in on the 2nd pairing with Faulk but I would really consider pairing him Parayko. Broberg is a big body that skates well, who better to mentor him than Parayko, like Bouwmeester did for Parayko. Then you put Leddy with Faulk, hoping to stabilize Faulk after a down year for him.

With Holloway I quickly want to figure out if he can play center. If he can I would love to see him center a 3rd line with Texier and Joseph. The speed and aggressive forecheck of that line would cause massive headaches for opposing defense.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
You can say the Blues overpaid to sign these two (and you would be right) but on the other hand, Edmonton really lowballed both of them to try and sign them cheap (less than they were worth in my opinion). If i were the players, i would have been insulted with the offer and been glad to sign the offer sheet. To be honest, i'm surprised other GM's didn't have this in mind as well. Hats off to DA for jumping in first to seal the deal.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I'll be honest I know everyone has Broberg penciled in on the 2nd pairing with Faulk but I would really consider pairing him Parayko. Broberg is a big body that skates well, who better to mentor him than Parayko, like Bouwmeester did for Parayko. Then you put Leddy with Faulk, hoping to stabilize Faulk after a down year for him.

With Holloway I quickly want to figure out if he can play center. If he can I would love to see him center a 3rd line with Texier and Joseph. The speed and aggressive forecheck of that line would cause massive headaches for opposing defense.
Yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssuh

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You can say the Blues overpaid to sign these two (and you would be right) but on the other hand, Edmonton really lowballed both of them to try and sign them cheap (less than they were worth in my opinion). If i were the players, i would have been insulted with the offer and been glad to sign the offer sheet. To be honest, i'm surprised other GM's didn't have this in mind as well. Hats off to DA for jumping in first to seal the deal.
Under performing kids coming off elc with no arb rights is really the only situation when nhl clubs can grind the player and they often take that chance to grind them. Edm only left themselves a small amount to work with so they were not going to move much on their offers.
Ended up getting caught by the blues on an OS.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Me too. I want to see Holly at 3C and see how it works.

Reactions: Memento

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Broberg played 11:37 a night in only 12 regular season games (and went up to 15:47 in an OT-fest playoffs) and Holloway clocked in at 11:22 minutes a night with 9 points in 38 games. Both players certainly have a lot of potential and it sucks to see them go for pennies on the dollar (as an Oilers fan that is!) but it's not like they were worth much more than the Oilers were offering as RFA's.

The Oilers' offers were certainly not insulting - this was simply a case of Broberg wanting out and his agent recognizing the difficult cap position the team was in.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'm surprised that Edmonton did not match for Broberg. With the Podkolzin trade, I get not matching Holloway, as they're pretty equivalent. But this isn't good for the Oilers. They practically got strip-mined because they didn't plan out sufficient cap space for the kinds of young guys who potentially could've reduced their UFA dependency in the medium-term, at least a little bit. Now St. Louis's little retooling project has received a significant boost. Broberg in particular is a huge win: questionable management of young players led to the likes of Dunn, Mikkola, and Walman being marginalized and shipped in favor of overpaid UFAs. Bringing Broberg in is a step back in the right direction and should add some nice spark to a stagnant defense.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I'm surprised that Edmonton did not match for Broberg. With the Podkolzin trade, I get not matching Holloway, as they're pretty equivalent. But this isn't good for the Oilers. They practically got strip-mined because they didn't plan out sufficient cap space for the kinds of young guys who potentially could've reduced their UFA dependency in the medium-term, at least a little bit. Now St. Louis's little retooling project has received a significant boost. Broberg in particular is a huge win: questionable management of young players led to the likes of Dunn, Mikkola, and Walman being marginalized and shipped in favor of overpaid UFAs. Bringing Broberg in is a step back in the right direction and should add some nice spark to a stagnant defense.
Most of us agree with you regarding Dunn.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
It is funny reading some Oiler fan reaction here on HFBoards and social media. They are trying so hard to paint this a lose-lose cause we gave up multiple mid to late round picks and overpaid the two players. They are so desperate to find a silver lining and seemed to have settled on the idea that this is somehow is gonna backfire on us. It's both sad and petty and equally hilarious.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

I'm sure they'll try it at some point this season but that's a lot of pressure to put on the kid to start the season.

It is funny reading some Oiler fan reaction here on HFBoards and social media. They are trying so hard to paint this a lose-lose cause we gave up multiple mid to late round picks and overpaid the two players. They are so desperate to find a silver lining and seemed to have settled on the idea that this is somehow is gonna backfire on us. It's both sad and petty and equally hilarious.
That's how offer sheets work, kids!

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
AAAND as a proud Calgary kid I can see Jake laughing at an offer sheet from the Oilers.
Actually I dont care about an OS. The Oilers WILL NOT do an offer sheet. I find it interesting that you dont think that Holloway making $2.2M for 15 goals will have any affect on what Jake asks for scoring 35. Or what Perukovich and Joseph will ask for when Broberg is making $4.6M. What better comparables to use than those on your team.

Just FYI, Alberta boys are Alberta boys, regardless of whether they were in Calgary or Edmonton. Again...no OS from t he Oilers.....just really interesting seeing the obliviousness to the market set by these two signings.

Me too. I want to see Holly at 3C and see how it works.
The guy I do feel sorry for here is Holloway. He was used by Ferris and Broberg as a pawn and now will be playing bottom six minutes on a non-playoff team instead of in the SCF

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019

I think this opens the door for RFA's to roll into July 1st, and see what others Teams offer.
I dont think its going to be a frequent thing.
To be honest, I surprised that offer sheets haven't happened more often.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The guy I do feel sorry for here is Holloway. He was used by Ferris and Broberg as a pawn and now will be playing bottom six minutes on a non-playoff team instead of in the SCF
The Oilers are NOT going back to the Stanley Cup Final in 2025. The Oilers are NOT Cup favorites. The Oilers are NOT even contenders at this point without significant upgrades that won't arrive.

Also, we barely missed the playoffs with a roster inferior to what we have now.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I think this opens the door for RFA's to roll into July 1st, and see what others Teams offer.
I dont think its going to be a frequent thing.
To be honest, I surprised that offer sheets haven't happened more often.

Not if they believe the team they are on is offering fair value. Blues have 78 mil committed next year. That's with 10F, 5D and 1G already signed. With another small increase to cap they will likely have around 15 mil to sign Neighbours, Hofer and Toropchenko and adding youth to fill out the rest of the rosters. Contracts wise we are in a fantastic position as several high dollar contracts will be expiring as our need for cap space will rise.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
I don't buy into social media speculation. I think it's more likely Holloway is out celebrating because he just made 100% more than what his previous team was offering with a chance for more ice time. You don't sign an offer sheet without acknowledging and accepting that it's possible that you end up going to the team you sign the offer sheet with.

Would he have wanted to stay in Edmonton for what he's getting paid now? Maybe. But the team decided he wasn't worth that, so instead he's going to get paid on a team that thinks he is.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Awesome to get both. At least one of these guys should be a quality piece for us when we’re ready to contend again.
giphy.gif

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad