Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I am listening to Broberg. He sounds "excited," his word. You can definitely tell he doesn't have the best english. Repeating the same phrases a lot. "Very excited" "Better everyday" "Excited to meet new teammates"
Definitely some language barrier. Likely also some coaching from his agent or someone on keeping answers simple for the media.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Definitely some language barrier. Likely also some coaching from his agent or someone on keeping answers simple for the media.

He's good enough to dodge the tough questions lol. Leave it to the Montreal reporter to ask the really tough one about why he decided to sign the offer sheet. Understandable that he isn't going to say anything to add fuel to the fire.

Also lol at the radio host not knowing his name and calling him Brosberg.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

Have to imagine this whole situation is pretty overwhelming for a 22 year old too. I know I'd be sitting there with a inner monologue, "Don't say anything stupid! Don't say anything stupid! Don't say anything stupid!"

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
And 101 mispronounces his name about 5 times immediately after the interview :facepalm:

It’s not a hard pronunciation…. Certainly no S in the name, Bro-berg

Reactions: Memento

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Wow! This is a good morning for sure, I’m excited to see how both players grow (especially Broberg) with the playing time we can offer, and Bannister will be a good coach for their development I think.

I don’t like paying the additional 2028 3rd round pick, Paul Fischer is whatever. But overall a 2nd and 2 3rds and prospect for these guys is much less than a direct trade would have been for
You don’t want to offer sheet Perunovich and we would love for you to do it!

No concerns on Neighbours or Joseph either.
Actually it was 3 first round picks. you had to give Pittsburgh a 3rd round pick to get yours back.
You don’t want to offer sheet Perunovich and we would love for you to do it!

No concerns on Neighbours or Joseph either.
I am not talking about offer sheets. Wondering if you have calibrating what you are going to have to pay them. What do you think Neighbours will be asking for if Holloway signed for $2.2. What about Joseph? Given Broberg signed for $4.6M what will he be asking for? Perunovich? Go ahead....just throw out some numbers.

It would be so devious if Oil threw offer sheet at peru or POJ. Not sure how we could recover if they stole one of these key pieces from us.
Not talking about offer sheets. Just wondering what you think you can sign Neighbours, Joseph and Peru for next year. Curious on numbers given what Holloway and Broberg signed for.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Balloon Party? There's a supposedly serious radio show called Balloon Party?

Lame

Yeah its the late morning show, I think it runs 10-12 or 1. It has had a revolving door of different host over the years as it tried to gain traction. Now it feels like they have seemingly given up on it ever being a hit. Has the worst hosts, as I have already said, no research and no personality. It's basically a dead spot in the sports radio lineup.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Not talking about offer sheets. Just wondering what you think you can sign Neighbours, Joseph and Peru for next year. Curious on numbers given what Holloway and Broberg signed for.
I don't expect to see Perunovich here next year. Joseph is a question mark because he's going into the season as the 7/8dman. Neighbours is going to get into the 5mils on a bridge

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis

I don't think today signings will have much of a bearing on the AAV for any of these players. They all understand the special circumstances that these contracts were signed under. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Blues look for a new home Perunovich with the addition of Broberg. Neighbours, if he proves to have another productive year this year, I could see getting his extension next spring. Joseph is going to be interesting as I imagine he will be in and out of lineup throughout the year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't expect to see Perunovich here next year. Joseph is a question mark because he's going into the season as the 7/8dman. Neighbours is going to get into the 5mils on a bridge
Could go either way with Neighbours. Depends on how he plays this year. Plus, the Blues probably look to move Saad to free up $4.5 million of cap space, which they could re-allocate to Neighbours on a long term deal vs do a bridge.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not a fan of sending them a couple low-value assets to 'convince' them not to match. I think the threat of matching was a bluff by Edmonton and would be stunned if Bowman changed his decision on matching based on a fringe prospect and a 3rd rounder in a draft half a decade away. I don't think that stuff actually mends the relationship with Bowman and I would have preferred Army telling Bowman that he was stuck with making a decision based on offer sheet compensation since he misjudged the market during initial trade negotiations.

But that stance comes from the negotiator/lawyer in me and not the hockey fan. I could very much be misjudging the behind the scenes relationship between Army/Bowman and I'm certainly not losing sleep over those assets. I'm still very content to give up a 2025 2nd, 2025 3rd, 2028 3rd, and P Fisher in order to snag a couple (now overpaid) former 1st round picks who appear to at least have floors as NHL players.

I don't think either has the upside of a franchise-altering guy, but I think both could turn into genuine middle-to-upper-half of the lineup contributors. With Broberg specifically, we are well set up for a nice contract negotiation down the line if he turns into a contributor. He has to recognize that we just gave him a hell of a great deal to get him out of a bad situation and into a good one for his own career growth. He knows that he wouldn't have been 'worth' $9M over 2 years in arbitration or based on his performance so far. There is all the reason in the world for him to be interested in staying long term if he becomes a player worth keeping long term.

These acquisitions could turn into nothing but wasted cap space and a depletion of some medium futures value. But I think it is a great gamble and I'm excited about both players.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The team has a salary structure and a plan for resigning its RFAs. Perunovich needs to prove he is an NHL contributor or he’ll be gone. We know little about how Joseph fits in yet, so we’ll see.

Neighbors will get a typical bridge deal like most of the Blues top picks have received for the past decade.

You need to factor in that players tend to want to stay in St Louis. If any of the above guys has requested a trade, that factor in. The offer sheet contracts don’t really change anything for the other Blues RFA contracts. The will matter when qualifying offers are needed.

Hopefully by then we’ll be in a position to offer a max term to Broberg and pencil him in as a long term top 4 defender. That’s up to him. But he’ll get an opportunity and ample ice time here starting this season, to make his case.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm not a fan of sending them a couple low-value assets to 'convince' them not to match. I think the threat of matching was a bluff by Edmonton and would be stunned if Bowman changed his decision on matching based on a fringe prospect and a 3rd rounder in a draft half a decade away. I don't think that stuff actually mends the relationship with Bowman and I would have preferred Army telling Bowman that he was stuck with making a decision based on offer sheet compensation since he misjudged the market during initial trade negotiations.

But that stance comes from the negotiator/lawyer in me and not the hockey fan. I could very much be misjudging the behind the scenes relationship between Army/Bowman and I'm certainly not losing sleep over those assets. I'm still very content to give up a 2025 2nd, 2025 3rd, 2028 3rd, and P Fisher in order to snag a couple (now overpaid) former 1st round picks who appear to at least have floors as NHL players.

I don't think either has the upside of a franchise-altering guy, but I think both could turn into genuine middle-to-upper-half of the lineup contributors. With Broberg specifically, we are well set up for a nice contract negotiation down the line if he turns into a contributor. He has to recognize that we just gave him a hell of a great deal to get him out of a bad situation and into a good one for his own career growth. He knows that he wouldn't have been 'worth' $9M over 2 years in arbitration or based on his performance so far. There is all the reason in the world for him to be interested in staying long term if he becomes a player worth keeping long term.

These acquisitions could turn into nothing but wasted cap space and a depletion of some medium futures value. But I think it is a great gamble and I'm excited about both players.
It’s always a better policy to be on friendly terms with every other front office. The Blues have up a trifle here. I agree with you that this was probably an Edmonton bluff, but maybe someone had made them a trade offer that was close to equal to the draft compensation picks, and they have St Louis a chance to raise their offer. Even if that was a fiction, I don’t mind from the Blies side.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah its the late morning show, I think it runs 10-12 or 1. It has had a revolving door of different host over the years as it tried to gain traction. Now it feels like they have seemingly given up on it ever being a hit. Has the worst hosts, as I have already said, no research and no personality. It's basically a dead spot in the sports radio lineup.
Not surprised. Ever since the Fairness Doctrine was gutted in the late '80s, media outlets across the board were gobbled up by a handful of companies. Wing-nut Disney owns ESPN. Now radio stations are filled with right-wing nonsense (Disclaimer: I have no ideological identification) and sports radio; not anything useful.

--

Yes, this was 100% a bluff by the LowMan, but Army needed to soothe some of the butthurtedness.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The team has a salary structure and a plan for resigning its RFAs. Perunovich needs to prove he is an NHL contributor or he’ll be gone. We know little about how Joseph fits in yet, so we’ll see.

Neighbors will get a typical bridge deal like most of the Blues top picks have received for the past decade.

You need to factor in that players tend to want to stay in St Louis. If any of the above guys has requested a trade, that factor in. The offer sheet contracts don’t really change anything for the other Blues RFA contracts. The will matter when qualifying offers are needed.

Hopefully by then we’ll be in a position to offer a max term to Broberg and pencil him in as a long term top 4 defender. That’s up to him. But he’ll get an opportunity and ample ice time here starting this season, to make his case.
You dont think the salaries paid to Holloway and Broberg affect the negotiations of your RFAs?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I don't think today signings will have much of a bearing on the AAV for any of these players. They all understand the special circumstances that these contracts were signed under. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Blues look for a new home Perunovich with the addition of Broberg. Neighbours, if he proves to have another productive year this year, I could see getting his extension next spring. Joseph is going to be interesting as I imagine he will be in and out of lineup throughout the year.
Totally, dude! Oilers fans saying that Bro and Holly will demand a crazy raise in two years is not happening.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Leddy - Parayko
Suter - Faulk
Broberg - Kessel

LFG!
Looks way better than what we ran out there on opening night last year.

Feels good to have someone on the left side with promise and a couple vets to solidify things. Kessel was no slouch either. If Faulk is healthy and returns to playing how he's capable of playing, this unit should be no worse than league-average with potential to be even better.

Throw in a more aggressive forecheck thanks to some added size and speed at forward and our goaltenders will finally get some support.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
You dont think the salaries paid to Holloway and Broberg affect the negotiations of your RFAs?
Not particularly. We're not negotiating against ourselves, we're negotiating with the market rate of other players. If Jake Neighbours wants to demand $8M per season, nobody's going to stop him, but he's likely not going to get that from another NHL team.

Last edited:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Totally, dude! Oilers fans saying that Bro and Holly will demand a crazy raise in two years is not happening.

I mean hopefully they perform well enough that they command crazy raises. Broberg develops into a true 50pt #1 defenseman and Holloway a 30+ goal scoring PWF. I think the Blues will happily pay those crazy raises if that's the case.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I mean hopefully they perform well enough that they command crazy raises. Broberg develops into a true 50pt #1 defenseman and Holloway a 30+ goal scoring PWF. I think the Blues will happily pay those crazy raises if that's the case.
well.....duh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad