Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
San Jose is going to flip him at the deadline for 3x that haul.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
San Jose is going to flip him at the deadline for 3x that haul.

I don't think they will be able too much for him. I think they have all retained salary slot spoken for this year for the Sharks. If they had a retained slot like, 100% they would have gotten more IMO.

Burns
Karlsson
Hertl

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I’m not convinced just yet that they’re matching either player. Even without Holloway and Broberg, they’re still about $700k over the cap. They received a serviceable cheap RHD to replace Ceci. They can be cap compliant by waiving one of their depth forwards (like Brown). Yes, they may put Kane on LTIR, but by all accounts his injury, even with surgery, would not leave him out longer than a few months. These moves needed to be made regardless of the offer sheets. But, we’ll see

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I’m not convinced just yet that they’re matching either player. Even without Holloway and Broberg, they’re still about $700k over the cap. They received a serviceable cheap RHD to replace Ceci. They can be cap compliant by waiving one of their depth forwards (like Brown). Yes, they may put Kane on LTIR, but by all accounts his injury, even with surgery, would not leave him out longer than a few months. These moves needed to be made regardless of the offer sheets. But, we’ll see

Hard to imagine they'd deal Ceci if they weren't keeping Broberg.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I could see them taking a couple different routes, but does feel like they are matching Broberg. That does make Draisaitl and Bouchard more complicated, but I assume they will move Kane next summer.

I could still see a scenario where they don't match. They are depleted on picks for this upcoming season, but they do have 2026 picks. Do they think the roster of today is good enough for the Cup or do they want picks and cap space to make win-now additions between now and the deadline?

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
That's pretty brutal. If you want to bundle our Hayes and related trades, this means we likely will have effectively traded a 2nd and 2 3rds to get rid of Hayes to give us the money to sign Holloway. And that's a lot of resources for a forward when we are already pretty deep there.

Really unideal.

Reactions: Celtic Note

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There are also differences in LTIR by starting the season compliant and then placing Kane on LTIR vs putting Kane on LTIR to be cap compliant. So, it's still a wait and see situation IMO.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I could see them taking a couple different routes, but does feel like they are matching Broberg. That does make Draisaitl and Bouchard more complicated, but I assume they will move Kane next summer.

I could still see a scenario where they don't match. They are depleted on picks for this upcoming season, but they do have 2026 picks. Do they think the roster of today is good enough for the Cup or do they want picks and cap space to make win-now additions between now and the deadline?

I more of less said the same thing in the Trade Forums. The only lingering thought is that in order to fit both the contract extensions for Drai and Bouch next summer they are going to have to strip quality depth from Stanley Cup competing team and they would be doing that 1 year before McDavid could potentially reach UFA status.

Bowman: "Hey Connor, we're able to sign both Bouchard and Draisaitl unfortunately we don't have the cap to keep any quality depth and don't really have any quality prospects to add. So you wanna spend the next decade trying to compete with plugs?

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Your not getting Hollowy either. You see, we match him too, and waive him for SJ to pick up. They get him ! Lol

Reactions: Myride

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
1. You’re*

2. Holloway*

3. In your scenario, you don’t get Holloway….or a compensation pick back and seem happy about it?
Yes, because it's the best case scenario, considering the blues offers. We get a young defender from San hose, we traded Ceci today to them, as he was not a great fit. We retool our defence...with Broberg

Reactions: Myride

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
After some time, I'm still not sure what Edmonton will do. For Holloway, Podkolzin could either be his replacement or Kane's if Kane is out for the entire season. For Broberg and Ceci, Emberson looks like a decent enough player where he's viewed as a better Nurse partner since he's right-handed, cheaper, and has had a stretch of NHL hockey with good underlying metrics.

And if Kane was always coming back mid-season, Edmonton was always going to either need to hope for more injuries or make another trade, so trading Ceci was always inevitable if they were a healthy team, even if Broberg and Holloway signed cheap deals and weren't offer-sheeted.

They can match, but then they are back in the previous scenario of hoping Kane is either out for the entire season or needing to make some sort of significant move mid-season, or they can let them walk, take the picks and have a flexible cap situation to pick up an impact player at the deadline.

Do have to hand it to Bowman for creating a decent amount of options for themselves.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
After some time, I'm still not sure what Edmonton will do. For Holloway, Podkolzin could either be his replacement or Kane's if Kane is out for the entire season. For Broberg and Ceci, Emberson looks like a decent enough player where he's viewed as a better Nurse partner since he's right-handed, cheaper, and has had a stretch of NHL hockey with good underlying metrics.

And if Kane was always coming back mid-season, Edmonton was always going to either need to hope for more injuries or make another trade, so trading Ceci was always inevitable if they were a healthy team, even if Broberg and Holloway signed cheap deals and weren't offer-sheeted.

They can match, but then they are back in the previous scenario of hoping Kane is either out for the entire season or needing to make some sort of significant move mid-season, or they can let them walk, take the picks and have a flexible cap situation to pick up an impact player at the deadline.

Do have to hand it to Bowman for creating a decent amount of options for themselves.

I'm thinking they are gonna match Broberg. It's a tough pill to swallow letting go a young RHD with upside despite the number he signed at. Of course they'll need to find out how he feels about coming back to EDM. Can the relationship be mended between him and the team and is he ok playing the right side? Or will the Oilers let him play 3rd pair LD and use someone else with Nurse?

Still a lot of intrigue though I think Blues fans may have jumped the gun thinking we'll get both.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I am alos wondering if they are making these moves as cheaper replacement for Broberg & Holloway. That's what the real question is especially if they are wanting to extend Drai & Bouch. After those 2 trades, that opened up about 2 million dollars roughly.

Then next season when Skinner & Neal (buyout) are off the books, that's another almost 5 million.

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Grier inexplicably gave the Oilers options. 2.5 million is a pretty expensive price tag for a 3rd round pick on an uncompetitive team.
Oilers fans peacocking about putting one over on the Blues is pretty hilarious. The Blues either take the win on either player, or have only weakened a competitor. We lose nothing. The big brag seems to be that they can lose Kane for the season, and it will all be roses and Cups for them. I thought Canadiens knew their hockey.

I am alos wondering if they are making these moves as cheaper replacement for Broberg & Holloway. That's what the real question is especially if they are wanting to extend Drai & Bouch. After those 2 trades, that opened up about 2 million dollars roughly.

Then next season when Skinner & Neal (buyout) are off the books, that's another almost 5 million.
Or, you know...1.35 million.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Grier inexplicably gave the Oilers options. 2.5 million is a pretty expensive price tag for a 3rd round pick on an uncompetitive team.
Oilers fans peacocking about putting one over on the Blues is pretty hilarious. The Blues either take the win on either player, or have only weakened a competitor. We lose nothing. The big brag seems to be that they can lose Kane for the season, and it will all be roses and Cups for them. I thought Canadiens knew their hockey.

Kane isn't exactly a big contributor these days.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

That could be, although if they're not planning to match one or both deals then I feel they would have waited to make these roster moves. Or they would have kept Ceci. The fact that they are making these moves now tells me they intend to at least match one deal, almost certainly Broberg.

Yeah, not sure what Oilers fans have to brag about. If we don't get either player, it doesn't really matter to us. They should be blaming their own management for this predicament, not the Blues. One guy on the Oilers board suggested McDavid should refuse to participate in Team Canada activities if Armstrong is involved lol

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
That's pretty brutal. If you want to bundle our Hayes and related trades, this means we likely will have effectively traded a 2nd and 2 3rds to get rid of Hayes to give us the money to sign Holloway. And that's a lot of resources for a forward when we are already pretty deep there.

Really unideal.
Yep. And even if the Blues get Holloway, I don' tknow that he's needed. I wonder if he could be trade bait to try to recoup a 2nd or 3rd, seeing as his offersheet was most likely made with the intention of getting Broberg. If the Blues end up with neither player, Army has squandered a few assets which could otherwise have been used to improve the club with practically nothing to show for them.

Oh well...mid picks are lottery tickets anyway. Win some, lose some. He damaged a conference rival (and favorite), so that's not nothing.

Reactions: Celtic Note

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That could be, although if they're not planning to match one or both deals then I feel they would have waited to make these roster moves. Or they would have kept Ceci. The fact that they are making these moves now tells me they intend to at least match one deal, almost certainly Broberg.

Yeah, not sure what Oilers fans have to brag about. If we don't get either player, it doesn't really matter to us. They should be blaming their own management for this predicament, not the Blues. One guy on the Oilers board suggested McDavid should refuse to participate in Team Canada activities if Armstrong is involved lol
They also want to match and waive the players to give them to San Jose lol.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It will be interesting to see how things play out today, I’d expect we’ll either see a match on one or both, or the Oilers will make additional moves that signal they are preparing to move forward without either player.

With the Ceci trade though I think they will likely match Broberg, sucks for him since it seems he wants out of that organization given the trade request reports and signing our offer sheet.

They also want to match and waive the players to give them to San Jose lol.
Can they even do that? I can’t find anything on it, but is it possible waiving a player on an offer sheet is also blocked for a year like a trade is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad