Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
The only issue I have if we let them go is that the loss of Broberg might bite us in the future. But for this season, I think the money we save can be used in a more efficient way come deadline.

In other words, I'm fine with letting them go. But if we were to offer anyone, it should be Bro.

Reactions: Macblender

Pucklington

Zum Bäcker.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
This is not make or break. Unfortunate, but not end of world if they don't match... for this season...

I would still match Broberg, if they think he is top 4 potential.

Holloway is replacement level.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You want guys who are committed to winning and to the team.

Take the picks and the cap flexibility and use it to actually improve the team instead of overpaying unproven players and handcuffing yourself.
We just have to wait and see if they actually improve the team with it. The team is worse than it was a week ago and we turned 2 of our more valuable assets into being just under the cap and a 2nd and a 3rd.
It could have been worse but this defence currently is one that will be hard for us to get home ice advantage with.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We just watched Henrique resign, arvidsson and skinner sign to play with mcdrai. That is 3/6 of a bunch of teams top 6. I think you have to operate under if we continue to have success that we will be able to replace Holloway in UfA reasonably.

The D is more worrisome so we need some assets spent there for sure.

But agree on the cap space maximize it and our 2 year cup window and win one

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
We just have to wait and see if they actually improve the team with it. The team is worse than it was a week ago and we turned 2 of our more valuable assets into being just under the cap and a 2nd and a 3rd.
It could have been worse but this defence currently is one that will be hard for us to get home ice advantage with.

Agreed. The team is pretty significantly worse on D now, and marginally worse at forward. The D isn't so bad that we won't make playoffs or anything crazy like that, but winning the division likely won't happen with our current D setup. We probably don't win a playoff round with current D either. The only things I can think of is that Kane isn't actually needing LTIR or that we have a trade in place for a D using the Blues picks

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I don't get the Ceci trade at all if you weren't going to match either player. I think walking away is the best move for both players, but you didn't need to trade Ceci in that scenario. Very strange
2 players short we were 300k over the cap. So realistically him or kulak were going to be moved to fit the two players at about $1M. If we didn’t we would have had to put Kane on ltir pre start of the season and not accrue cap then trade one of them anyways when he was back and at that point it would be trade or you can’t ice a cap compliant lineup unless it is really short manned.

I think over the last few seasons they have learnt it isn’t smart to ice a short manned roster

Reactions: FlameChampion

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the downgrade is overstated. Desharnais and Broberg were replacement level players last year on a team that almost won it all.

If they don’t match, the Ceci trade and its timing is puzzling but he was the weak link last year in the top 4.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I think being marginally better on forward is a little disengenous.

We retained Henrique who is a very good player. Then added two top 6 forwards.

We lost the equivalent of 3 3rd line wingers. All of which were scratched during the playoffs due to inconsistency. 4th line we replaced one of those guys with a similar enough piece but since the top end is upgraded those guys are going to get less time

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Perhaps making cap space for a trade that is in the works involving the 2nd/3rd round pick?
There better be, because we very likely don't get home ice with our current team. I don't like Ceci, but he is better than anybody on our right side other than Bouchard right now. Why downgrade? Makes no sense, unless Kane isn't going on LTIR

North

Jun 25, 2009
Here’s the thing, these two both effed our cap when we are going into extension talks for Drai, Bouchard, and McDavid.

The larger issue is say we trade Kulak (who is effective as a bottom pairing d at a lower price point) in the hopes Broberg can cover his minutes at an inflated salary. Not to mention we’d be down three guys from last season.

Or say we play Broberg on the right side. He doesn’t want to play right d and has already requested a trade.

This is a guy who doesn’t want to be in Edmonton.

Holloway FAAFO. He allowed himself to be used to put the Oilers in a precarious financial position salary cap wise.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You know, part of me wonders if Podkolzin and Emberson are simply replacements for Holloway and Broberg? Emberson as the Broberg replacement is a better fit positionally at this point for the team as a natural RHD. The kid is supposed to be a defensive stalwart, that can chip in points. Rated #2 Defensive Defenseman overall by the Athletic as of April this year with Drew Doughty taking #1.
Podkolzin is more of a gamble that he will outplay Holloway, but seems to have more skill overall. Confidence seems to be the issue, but the ceiling is supposed to be high. Both players are signed at a million or less. Pod x 2 years and Embers at one year. Everyone knew Ceci had to go, so that was bound to happen I think anyways. Don't match (sucks a bit), but get a 2nd and 3rd back with some young depth and talent that could pay off big.

Plus the cap space...that sweet, sweet cap space that will help with Nurse on the LTIR. Come the deadline, and we have a few picks and SPACE to play with.
Holloway to Podklozin and Broberg to Emberson are clear downgrades now and especially long term. Now the Oilers do get nearly $5m in cap space by not matching but the Oilers are clearly a worse team as of today if they don't match these offers.

I think this is a bad idea not to match but we'll see how it plays out. Not happy about this, at all.

Reactions: oilers4life5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad