Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
The thing is his buy out would be pretty easy to handle if he’s that bad after the first year.
They aren’t going to burn a buyout on a guy making so little with one year left.

The problem is the Oilers are going to have to make a drastic move(s) midseason when Kane comes back. You’ll need to find 5.1m if they match both.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oilers matched both, one or none.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Who cares about draft picks. I want to win!
You won't do that, win, by overpaying second tier players while you still haven't signed your superstars.

I've been on the fence, like everyone else, but it comes down to priorities.

I got nothing against Broberg or Holloway but the Edmonton Oilers aren't in a position to bet on these players outperforming these contracts.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Let me get this straight about these two players:

1) Holland was instructed by upper management to sign these guys during the season but didn't
2) Holland is buddies with Armstrong
3) Armstrong offer sheets both of them.

Did these player's agents tell them to hold off from signing and that an offer sheet will be coming in the summer? I wonder....
Exactly what happen.

Why would their agents especially Ferris, who is a known shark have his player sign at his lowest point? They requested a trade. Blues Ferris were in contact early in the summer when teams could contact RFAs. They had absolutely nothing to lose by waiting until summer to sign.

My guess is the delay being one of two things.

1) Edmonton doesn't want players who don't want to be here, and don't want these kids earning way more than their worth. They'll match if they have to, but seeing if a team will trade them a top 4 dman in a package that will include the comp picks.

2) They plan on matching and are making the Blues wait as long as possible so they can't use their picks on other offers. Just out of spite.
There is no delay. You have 7 days to match. Why not tie up the blues for as long possible?

We gain nothing by declaring our intention before those 7 days are up.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Let 'em both walk, we'll bolster the forces at the trade deadline
It's the right call. We have solid depth.

We could still make another move before the season starts, moving Kulak, but if we match Broberg... even if we only match Holloway, it hinders our flexibility.

The team knows when Kane will return. Ultimately it's their discernment.

These players, Broberg and Holloway, could have waited, even just one season, to get their payday but they forced the team's hand.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
This team using 7 million in cap space on two question marks is a lot to risk. Not a fan of penciling Broberg in as the #4D based on a 10 game sample with a contract that totally handcuffs the team this playoffs if he cannot do it. No room for error if they match.
RHD is probably the hardest position to fill. We have someone that has shown he can play there. Who Do you suggest at 4.6 mill?

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
It's the right call. We have solid depth.

We could still make another move before the season starts, moving Kulak, but if we match Broberg... even if we only match Holloway, it hinders our flexibility.

The team knows when Kane will return. Ultimately it's their discernment.

These players, Broberg and Holloway, could have waited, even just one season, to get their payday but they forced the team's hand.
I agree with all of this except for the bolded part. They were without a contract and I don’t think they sign the offer sheets if they weren’t far better than any offer they’d seen to that point.
I’ll take it a step further and say that if they didn’t sign those offers I’d question their intelligence

Reactions: Yuke

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Been at a museum all day long here in Wyoming. Hear it’s pretty tight on what’s happening. What’s the latest speculation? I was hoping they’d have this shit all done by tonight lol.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
You won't do that, win, by overpaying second tier players while you still haven't signed your superstars.

I got nothing against Broberg or Holloway but the Edmonton Oilers aren't in a position to bet on these players outperforming these contracts.
Broberg doesn't need to out perform his contract he needs to be better than Ceci

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
RHD is probably the hardest position to fill. We have someone that has shown he can play there. Who Don you suggest at 4.6 mill?
I don't get how Broberg proved himself. He had some good moments in a handful of games. It's a mistake to extrapolate a cornerstone player worth 4.6M to this club from that.
I agree with all of this except for the bolded part. They were without a contract and I don’t think they sign the offer sheets if they weren’t far better than any offer they’d seen to that point.
I’ll take it a step further and say that if they didn’t sign those offers I’d question their intelligence
I guess when you're not that good, and you know it, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm actually thinking more of Holloway when I say this.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions

They will easily outperform those contracts.

They will easily outperform those contracts.
Or at the very least perform them.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Guess you have to be part of the cool geeky club to not get banned then. I got banned several times for saying mild things compared to some of the insults I see on here. One particular goof keeps saying I come back with a different name and account lol I have only ever had 1 name and account and I come back after my ban is lifted . This last ban was lifted 3 months ago . Just came to comment on offer sheets.
lol one account

• Haha
Reactions: McBooya42

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I guess when you're not that good, and you know it, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm actually thinking more of Holloway when I say this.
I don’t know about that exactly ha ha
But
If someone offered you way more money to do what you are currently doing and you ignored them……that’s an intelligence questioning offence in my books

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad