Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
It's really hard to overpay for broberg, but we need upgrades on D. Good chance he outperforms Ceci. We need some youth and speed on this team. I trade Ceci, I retire Perry. Lots of upside potencial. We are not going to win with a bunch of older, slower players. Ceci is not that old, but he plays that way, and he's not a good match for Nurse. At 3.2, that's most of the salary for Broberg. It's a calculated gamble, to upgrade that top 4
So the Oilers are making us younger on D. Droping our older guys that were marginal, for their positions. Good luck to Ceci, but it gets better without him. Move Kulak too, for a equal right hander, and were laughing !

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
my prediction... they let both walk. Hope that one or two of Podkolzin, Savoie, Lavoie, etc end up making the team over the next year or 2 to help replace Holloway. As for Broberg, he's just too big of a gamble (combination of $$$, inexperience, and him being LD) to be the right fit for the Oiler's biggest hole which is 2nd pairing RD.

I'd sign Barrie to a 1 year deal at 1 million. Then be looking to find the right upgrade at 2nd pairing RD as soon as they can find the right guy/contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
my prediction... they let both walk. Hope that one or two of Podkolzin, Savoie, Lavoie, etc end up making the team over the next year or 2 to help replace Holloway. As for Broberg, he's just too big of a gamble (combination of $$$, inexperience, and him being LD) to be the right fit for the Oiler's biggest hole which is 2nd pairing RD.

I'd sign Barrie to a 1 year deal at 1 million. Then be looking to find the right upgrade at 2nd pairing RD as soon as they can find the right guy/contract.

My prediction is that they retain Broberg and let Holloway walk. I think the Podkolzin trade signalled the end of Holloway and the Ceci trade signalled the retention of Broberg.

I'd sign J Schultz knowing he could hold his own on a 2nd pairing with Nurse of Broberg faulters, something I wouldn't be confident saying about Barrie.

Start the season with
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Schultz
Stetcher

I also think we end up trading Broberg next summer as he obviously doesn't want to be here but we'll get much better value than a 2nd.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
My prediction is that they retain Broberg and let Holloway walk. I think the Podkolzin trade signalled the end of Holloway and the Ceci trade signalled the retention of Broberg.

I'd sign J Schultz knowing he could hold his own on a 2nd pairing with Nurse of Broberg faulters, something I wouldn't be confident saying about Barrie.

Start the season with
Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Schultz
Stetcher

I also think we end up trading Broberg next summer as he obviously doesn't want to be here but we'll get much better value than a 2nd.
I want to match on Holloway and have him play as the 4th line centre for 2 straight years with no PP time

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Podkolzin - Holloway - Perry
Ryan

LTIR: Kane

Kane in for Podz for Game 1, Round 1

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So if Kane is out until day 1 of the playoffs (a big if... but assuming that's the case)... the Oilers need to just waive Derek Ryan and they are cap compliant on opening day.

Oilers have likely actually made a chicken sandwich out of what appeared to be chicken shit.

They've managed to add two semi-decent players in Podkolzin+Emberson (both of whom still have some upside at the ages of 23 & 24 and are a 13th forward and a 7th dman at a minimum at this point)... while being able to retain both Broberg AND Holloway.

Total cost being a 3rd and Ceci for Emberson and a 4th for Podkolzin.

Ceci will be missed for the TOI he eats on RD... but they now have:

Stecher
Emberson
Brown
Kulak
Broberg

...as options on that right side for #2RD and #3RD spots for the regular season.

I think that's "ok" until the deadline and a possible upgrade deal can be made.

My gut tells me the D overall won't be any worse this regular season than last and yes right now it might look like a slight downgrade on D for the playoffs... but maybe one (or more) of Broberg/Emberson/Stecher look solid as well and this team can go into the deadline with depth at both F and D... and if not... well there are going to be teams out of the playoff picture that are willing to dump players for a 1st and a 2nd just like at every other deadline.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I want to match on Holloway and have him play as the 4th line centre for 2 straight years with no PP time

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Podkolzin - Holloway - Perry
Ryan

LTIR: Kane

Kane in for Podz for Game 1, Round 1

That would be a tremendous waste of capspace in a year that we're trying to win a cup. It's a bigger F U to let him walk while we succeed than to pay him that ridiculous contract and let him coast his way to a cup

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm torn now.

Matching both players means we have a decent young system for the next waive with McDrai.

However, if we match both players, and we are an LTIR team, our ability to improve the defense is incredibly difficult.

Trades already have to be dollar in, dollar out, but who can trade to make that happen now that Ceci is gone? Kulak? Skinner or Arvidsson? Henrique?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Matching still feels a little unlikely to me.

Here's as bare bones of a 20 man roster as possible and they'd still need to clear another $850k when Kane returns. That means you're trading Kulak for a sub-$1.9M player and have no injury spares for the majority of the season.

Realistically, the Ceci trade could just be about not having to use LTIR and to accrue cap space for the deadline.

1724064976116.png

Reactions: Macblender

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I can't shake the feeling that Dylan Holloway is the biggest loser in all of this.

He's a pawn for the Blues to make it harder for the Oilers to match Broberg, but that makes it likelier the Oilers do match Broberg and not Holloway. The Ceci and Podkolzin trades also indicate this.

Holloway gets some guaranteed money now, but runs a big risk of not getting to inflate his numbers with generational talent.

It could end up costing him a once-in-a-lifetime shot at the cup as well as massive career earnings beyond this contract.

If he does end up in Edmonton there's a risk the relationship has already soured to some extent, same as with Broberg.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Just for fun, I kind of hope that Bowman has a trade lined up for the Blues 2nd and 3rd that blows away the value of Broberg and Holloway. Like, a true 2nd pair partner for Nurse. I know it isn't likely, but I'd laugh hysterically if we got better pieces with St. Louis' picks than St. Louis did.
Destroy them again like the Kostin trade?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I would argue it’s about sending a message to discourage offer sheets in the future. I’m not saying go full Carolina but if they have a chance to be a thorn in the blues side in the future they absolutely should.

There’s a reason there are very few offer sheets. The blues offer sheeting not 1 but 2 players is almost unheard of. It’s a clear line in the sand.
I think all that drama is a lot more in the heads of the fans than the team management. They knew they were at risk of this happening. They know the rules of the CBA that they agreed to. They knew the status of the stalled negotiations with their players.

The Oilers legit will not have a chance to be that thorn. They won’t have any cap space for many years, they won’t be able to overpay (which offersheets always are) for players on another team when they can barely squeeze their own players into the cap.

Hopefully if anything they learnt that they need to do a better job in the future of securing their own RFAs, and don’t go around trying to get revenge.

Yeah it feels realistic that they match both and waive Holloway to the Sharks.
That would be kind of amazing.

Reactions: Reality Czech

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
After sleeping on it, the Oilers still have all their options.

Could match, walk away or trade with St. Louis.

I wonder if we see another move today.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Kinda wonder if they don't match holloway and he becomes a blue if he fires his agent?

Would geel Kinda feel bad for the guy knowing he didn't want to sign the deal and stay am oiler and ends up gone on some one who he is suppose to trusts advice 🤔

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think all that drama is a lot more in the heads of the fans than the team management. They knew they were at risk of this happening. They know the rules of the CBA that they agreed to. They knew the status of the stalled negotiations with their players.

The Oilers legit will not have a chance to be that thorn. They won’t have any cap space for many years, they won’t be able to overpay (which offersheets always are) for players on another team when they can barely squeeze their own players into the cap.

Hopefully if anything they learnt that they need to do a better job in the future of securing their own RFAs, and don’t go around trying to get revenge.

That would be kind of amazing.
Why do you think there have been almost no offer sheets in the past?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah it feels realistic that they match both and waive Holloway to the Sharks.

It does feel a little suspicious that the trade was made with the Sharks, and we actually got back a potentially non-terrible player in the deal as well. Like, if you are the sharks, why do you make that deal? It wouldn't shock me at all to have the waiver be used to give them Holloway.

Reactions: Fishy McScales

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Or the realistic prediction of they sign both, or at the very minimum Broberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad