Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The differences don't matter. It was an RFA that signed an offer sheet with the intention of leaving.

Friedman likely has real info that Broberg wanted out but there is no mention of the motivation. With both situations we don't know what was going on in their heads. If you think that Broberg's resentment is permanent, that's all your speculation based on tiny shreds of info

Imo if Broberg finds a real role and success here, he will love being here. All it would take is the same opportunity Bouchard got. Bouchard was pretty inconsistent before the team bent over backwards to put him in a position to succeed

They certainly do. Context is everything. Broberg asked for a trade, does not want to play here, signed offer sheet. Weber signed an offer sheet but loved playing in Nashville. As far as motivation its been stated numerous times by numerous sources so I am not sure where your coming from other than "wanting to believe" which is all the rage these days.

Just because you want to believe it something doesnt mean it happens. Brobergs development was poorly handled by the Oilers, Woodcroft refused to play him, Holland refused to send him down, and when he did play it was on his off side. In StL he will play on the left side.

Broberg will not get the opportunity Bouchard got because he will see exactly zero seconds of PP time, he will play on his wrong side here, as he is blocked by Nurse, Ekholm and Kulak for the next 2 seasons.

Pretty simply stuff when you want to look at the reality and not what you want to have happen.

Facts don't care about your opinion.

We live in 2024. What people "feel" and what their opinions are matter more than facts these days. It's getting pretty tiring as there is no rational discussion to be had anymore when facts no longer outweigh feelings.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not many good defensemen developed in the last 30 year?s amirite?

No, your so f***ing wrong it is hilarious.

Bouchard says hello. Nurse isn't the worst D in the world, he's just has the worst contract in the world. And last time I checked Broberg hasn't done shit. Amirite?

Why did the Oilers suddenly go from a team that couldn't sign any free agents to one that had UFAs clamoring to sign up? It's because joining the Oilers were not a great opportunity for success, but now they are

So why is Broberg unhappy? Maybe he just hates Edmonton but the much simpler explanation is that he doesn't see an opportunity here. There's actual proof for that, as the first rumblings that he wanted out came after he was sent down to the AHL (away from Edmonton and towards beautiful California).

So my suggestion is that we keep Broberg and make his contract worth it by accelerating his timeline. It's a gamble that can pay off huge. If it fails, it just means we have to trade him next summer. It's not like it's hard to find a Ceci level defender

Do you not read or listen to anything at all? Listen to today's pod with Friedman and Stauffer for starters.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
No, no he wasn't:
View attachment 901351

"In Games 1 and 2 of the cup finals, Broberg was then paired at right defence next to Brett Kulak, and although they did not allow any goals, they were significantly hemmed into their own zone and out-chanced by Florida.
Then, Broberg would play the final five games of the SCF with Darnell Nurse, his most common defensive partner in the playoffs. This pair had some very intriguing results.
On the bright side, the Oilers out-scored Florida 4 to 2 at 5v5 with that duo on-ice. In fact, this was the only Nurse pairing with a positive goal differential in the 2024 playoffs.
Furthermore, Broberg was Edmonton’s overall best defenceman at zone exits in the Stanley Cup Finals:"
"However, this pairing’s goal differential was extremely unsustainable.
The Nurse – Broberg pair was heavily outplayed by Florida in terms of shots, scoring chances and possession. With that duo on-ice at 5v5, the Oilers were outshot 23 to 38 and out-chanced 9 to 18 in terms of high-danger chances.
The pair’s positive goal share can primarily be attributed to a 17 percent on-ice shooting percentage and a 94.7 percent on-ice save percentage, resulting in a 1.12 PDO. For context, PDO is a stat that adds up on-ice SH% and SV%, and is often used as a proxy for puck luck. Most players will have a PDO of roughly 1.00, and historically, no defensive pair with over 500 minutes played has maintained a PDO above 1.03 in the era of advanced metrics in hockey"

"while Broberg did average the most controlled exits on the team, he also held the second-highest failed exit rate. He still held the second best controlled-to-failed-exit ratio, so overall, he was an effective puck-mover, but for the failed exits he did make, they would occasionally result in dangerous chances."

Facts of a snap shot of his first real playing time in the NHL and you don't think that's fantastic for a young inexperienced defenseman against the best team in the league? The kids a stud and he knows it now too that's why he's playing this year somewhere.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
That's pretty meaningless. Weber wanted out of Nashville when he signed that offer sheet with Philly, but he still played for years with Nashville. Weber's agent said during the matching window that Shea wanted out. Broberg has a lot less sway than a guy like him

Broberg likely has no problem with the Oilers aside from his usage and future with the team. With our offer around 1.2 it means we clearly wanted to put off our ultimate decision on him yet again, which means the team was ready to have him as 7th D if there were any growing pains. St. Louis was ready to give him a real shot.

If we match, it changes everything. It means that coaching will be FORCED to take him seriously or have 3 million in dead cap in the press box or third pairing

And I'm fully in favor of rolling the dice. His play in the playoffs proved plenty that he's ready. He's been raved about by our org for years. We know he can make the NHL transition finally
I don't see the Oilers matching the Broberg offer. Just too much money for a bottom-pairing d-man who may or may not take a step forward. Holloway they probably keep. He's a pretty good bet to be a reliable 3rd liner as early as next year. It's basically what McLeod was making last year and Holloway is arguably a better player potentially.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Facts of a snap shot of his first real playing time in the NHL and you don't think that's fantastic for a young inexperienced defenseman against the best team in the league? The kids a stud and he knows it now too that's why he's playing this year somewhere.
It’s an incredibly small sample size where he was still analytically bad.
“Kids a stud” in make believe land, absolutely.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No, your so f***ing wrong it is hilarious.

Bouchard says hello. Nurse isn't the worst D in the world, he's just has the worst contract in the world. And last time I checked Broberg hasn't done shit. Amirite?

Do you not read or listen to anything at all? Listen to today's pod with Friedman and Stauffer for starters.
I've read all the important parts. It lines up exactly with my opinion of it. Friedman laid out a scenario for matching Broberg, which is that he would play it out and that the team would be on the clock when it comes to delivering on meeting what he wants. Friedman said Broberg loved the Blues because there was a spot to play for on his strong side. So, we'd have two years to give that. He even said that the Oilers could make that happen. It was hardly a solemn opinion that there was no hope in the Oilers matching. Stauffer is less optimistic (and more connected) but I get it. The org would have to transform their entire short term strategy to accommodate Broberg and that isn't fun.

I think they will look into making this work. They know that we won't get a D prospect as good as Broberg for a long time. The main pain would be this year. Can we make a few moves that lets us endure it? Maybe

Reactions: SavoieSeason

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That’s also a great way to destroy a players confidence. It was a big gamble going to Broberg and he passed the test but he was still one of the least deployed players on the blue line and was still somewhat sheltered. There’s a big difference between looking good in a short stretch in the finals when you’re running on adrenaline vs doing it night in night out for an entire season for 18-20 minutes every night when your team is counting on you to take some tough assignments.
He was also coming in completely fresh playing with and against players running on fumes and who were all damaged and broken. And even then he “looked good” but nothing actually points to that being true.

Reactions: AlanHUK

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I've read all the important parts. It lines up exactly with my opinion of it. Friedman laid out a scenario for matching Broberg, which is that he would play it out and that the team would be on the clock when it comes to delivering on meeting what he wants. Friedman said Broberg loved the Blues because there was a spot to play for on his strong side. So, we'd have two years to give that. He even said that the Oilers could make that happen. It was hardly a solemn opinion that there was no hope in the Oilers matching. Stauffer is less optimistic (and more connected) but I get it. The org would have to transform their entire short term strategy to accommodate Broberg and that isn't fun.

I think they will look into making this work. They know that we won't get a D prospect as good as Broberg for a long time. The main pain would be this year. Can we make a few moves that lets us endure it? Maybe

Broberg doesn't want to be here and will be overpaid by 400% which wont go over well in the room when every vet took a haircut. He might - might - be a top 4 D in a year or two, or maybe never. But the best he can hope to be here in the next 2-3 years is either a top 4 RD or a bottom pair LD with Ekholm and Nurse blocking him, and we trade Kulak or Ceci to make room, which wont go over well with the vets either.

McDavid said a couple seasons ago, and I paraphrase that if you don't want to be here then get out. Broberg is getting out.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
either way I'd bet that Broberg is pumped to be a part of the team and playing with McDrai. Except, he hasn't been made a real part of the team and that the team made it difficult to make the kind of impact he knows he can deliver.
He could have earned it.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No, no he wasn't:
View attachment 901351

"In Games 1 and 2 of the cup finals, Broberg was then paired at right defence next to Brett Kulak, and although they did not allow any goals, they were significantly hemmed into their own zone and out-chanced by Florida.
Then, Broberg would play the final five games of the SCF with Darnell Nurse, his most common defensive partner in the playoffs. This pair had some very intriguing results.
On the bright side, the Oilers out-scored Florida 4 to 2 at 5v5 with that duo on-ice. In fact, this was the only Nurse pairing with a positive goal differential in the 2024 playoffs.
Furthermore, Broberg was Edmonton’s overall best defenceman at zone exits in the Stanley Cup Finals:"
The Nurse – Broberg pair was heavily outplayed by Florida in terms of shots, scoring chances and possession. With that duo on-ice at 5v5, the Oilers were outshot 23 to 38 and out-chanced 9 to 18 in terms of high-danger chances.
The pair’s positive goal share can primarily be attributed to a 17 percent on-ice shooting percentage and a 94.7 percent on-ice save percentage, resulting in a 1.12 PDO. For context, PDO is a stat that adds up on-ice SH% and SV%, and is often used as a proxy for puck luck. Most players will have a PDO of roughly 1.00, and historically, no defensive pair with over 500 minutes played has maintained a PDO above 1.03 in the era of advanced metrics in hockey"

"while Broberg did average the most controlled exits on the team, he also held the second-highest failed exit rate. He still held the second best controlled-to-failed-exit ratio, so overall, he was an effective puck-mover, but for the failed exits he did make, they would occasionally result in dangerous chances."

Interesting numbers. So the young defenseman airlifted late playoff run against the league's elite competition didn't grossly outperform. Played mainly on his off shooting side in part because veteran Kulak wasn't comfortable. Best partner with veteran Nurse who was a trainwreck most playoffs.

Did some things good - controlled zone exits. Help stabilize their top paid veteran defenseman. Nicked on zone exits which doesn't tell us how their team outlet supports were.

I'd like to see some context for other Florida playoff opponents defense pairings to benchmark these pairing results against. They were a steam roller that heavily tilted the ice. Florida's playoff offensive zone time was 93 percentile. They pushed everyone's shit back in.

Florida Playoffs Offensive ZoneNeutral ZoneDefensive Zone
43.3%17.8%38.9%
Regular Season44.9%17.7%37.4%
Oilers Playoffs41.6%17.5%37.4%
Regular Season43.9%17.6%38.6%

Florida v. Edmonton NHL Edge Comp:
Playoff: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

AHL to Final 4 NHL playoff competition trial by fire. Broberg acquitted himself reasonably well all things considered.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Interesting numbers. So the young defenseman airlifted late playoff run against the league's elite competition didn't grossly outperform. Played mainly on his off shooting side in part because veteran Kulak wasn't comfortable. Best partner with veteran Nurse who was a trainwreck most playoffs.

Did some things good - controlled zone exits. Help stabilize their top paid veteran defenseman. Nicked on zone exits which doesn't tell us how their team outlet supports were.

I'd like to see some context for other Florida playoff opponents defense pairings to benchmark these pairing results against. They were a steam roller that heavily tilted the ice. Florida's playoff offensive zone time was 93 percentile. They pushed everyone's shit back in.

Florida Playoffs Offensive ZoneNeutral ZoneDefensive Zone
43.3%17.8%38.9%
Regular Season44.9%17.7%37.4%
Oilers Playoffs41.6%17.5%37.4%
Regular Season43.9%17.6%38.6%

Florida v. Edmonton NHL Edge Comp:
Playoff: NHL EDGE Puck and Player Tracking Statistics - Comparisons

AHL to Final 4 NHL playoff competition trial by fire. Broberg acquitted himself reasonably well all things considered.

I think just overall there is no great data to go off to properly evaluate him. He got caved like everyone else by analytics, but got very fortunate goaltending. Got to ride some underdog vibes, had lots more energy than everyone else that had much more of a grind through the playoffs. Had some nice moments against Florida who we put on their heels a bit for the almost comeback. It's extremely hard to make any proper judgements from these games. Everything looks great when you get Vancouver Canucks tier luck for a couple weeks worth of games.

Blues decided to go all in on that sample size of course :) They are dealing with their own version of desperation though.

I don't like the gamble we would take to keep him. I'm not optimistic that this is a player that can babysit Nurse for entire seasons and full playoff runs. Not even close IMO. Think it goes bad very quickly and fans are all hating Broberg in a hurry as an expensive 3rd pair D, and we all get to curse Nurse-Ceci again for a whole year. Think it would be dumb to risk it. We need a better move from Bowman. 2nd and 3rd are extra pieces to find a trade we've needed for a long time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think just overall there is no great data to go off to properly evaluate him. He got caved like everyone else by analytics, but got very fortunate goaltending. Got to ride some underdog vibes, had lots more energy than everyone else that had much more of a grind through the playoffs. Had some nice moments against Florida who we put on their heels a bit for the almost comeback. It's extremely hard to make any proper judgements from these games. Everything looks great when you get Vancouver Canucks tier luck for a couple weeks worth of games.

Blues decided to go all in on that sample size of course :) They are dealing with their own version of desperation though.

I don't like the gamble we would take to keep him. I'm not optimistic that this is a player that can babysit Nurse for entire seasons and full playoff runs. Not even close IMO. Think it goes bad very quickly and fans are all hating Broberg in a hurry as an expensive 3rd pair D, and we all get to curse Nurse-Ceci again for a whole year. Think it would be dumb to risk it. We need a better move from Bowman. 2nd and 3rd are extra pieces to find a trade we've needed for a long time.
There's reasonable snapshots over three years of uneven, disjointed development with a chaos organization that rode the yo you down and up the standings (3 coaches).

This is his first North American pro season with an early recall doing injury replacement work with Nurse and Keith out. He had a big minute road game 4 games in at Vegas with over 23 minutes toi. A huge March game in Calgary with Barrie injured playing off-d side with a huge stretch drive game in Calgary with Barrie hurt and team chasing a wildcard spot. Broberg rolled off a 22:34 toi game with 2:43 PP and 2:09 PK and 0+/- in a 3-1 loss.

Home/Away
DateGamePointsIce Time+/-GoalieTeamO-zone starts
HNov 20Oilers 5 Hawks 21 A14:24+1SkinnerNurse out44.4% OZ
RNov 23Dallas 4
Oilers 1
018:59-2SkinnerNurse out, Keith 10 min15.4% OZ
RNov 24Oilers 5
Arizona 3
018:59-2Skinner Nurse, Keith out40% OZ
RNov 27Oilers 3 Vegas 2023:34-1KoskinenNurse, Keith out42.9% OZ
HDec 1Oilers 5 Pens 2013:07-1KoskinenNurse, Keith out60% OZ
RDec 3Kraken 4 Oilers 3012:20-1SkinnerNurse, Keith out100% OZ
HDec 5Kings 5 Oilers 1010:25-1KoskinenNurse back, Keith out14.3% OZ
H Dec 7Wild 4 Oilers 1910:18-2KoskinenNurse, Keith return75% OZ

A strong pre-Ekholm trade run two years ago with young Bouchard where they had a 10+ game sample featuring 66% CF%, 77% GF%, 73 XGF%, 80 HDCF%

There's anecdotal
"He's a great defenceman, great skater, can skate his way out of problems and moves the puck well as well," Bouchard said about playing with Broberg. "He makes things easy for me, talks well. I think now we're meshing well together."

Ekholm is getting progress reports about Broberg and is pleased with what he’s heard.
“I’ve said it from Day 1 since I saw him in practice and play, I think it’s just a matter of time before he figures it out,” Ekholm said. “He’s got every attribute that a top-four — or even top-two — defenceman in this league needs.”

Broberg's fellow countryman Mattias Ekholm was asked Sunday about his contributions.
"Amazing," the veteran said. "It feels like he's played the whole playoffs and just taken steps. It's only been four games, but he's looked amazing. The way he's playing right now with is his confidence, grabbing the puck on the breakouts and skates out of trouble. He's amazing back there when he gets his feet moving. He's been a huge energy boost and a huge insert for us on the back end. I hope he keeps it going because he looks really well."

Broberg's post-season play is even more impressive considering the left-shot blueliner has mostly been playing on the right side, especially during Game 1 of the Final with Brett Kulak as his partner.

"Broby has been outstanding for us," Head Coach Kris Knoblauch said Sunday. "We've put him in a lot of difficult situations. I think it comes back to the Dallas game where it was almost a must-win and he is inserted in the lineup and plays a pretty good game. And then since that game, he's just continually gotten better and better."

It's leap of faith time on the player. However I wouldn't diminish anyone missing essentially a month of hockey and coming into the pressure cooker of Final 4 Playoff Competition. Again, as I've asked, someone show me the benchmarks against other Panthers road kill defense stats on their steamroll to the Cup.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Surely you're being deliberately obtuse? I mean the stats are there for you to see, but for some reason, you refuse to accept the reality.

No, they won't because he doesn't want to be here.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Just what I asumed in a post a couple of days ago, Broberg would prefer Blue. I can't blame after they way we handled him.

Given the choice between:

8m+ and playing for a team who wants you and will put you natural side
2m+ and playing for a team whosd been jerking you around for years and put you on your off side.

Think the choice is easy for Bro. Bad management by the Oilers. Real bad.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
It's really hard to overpay for broberg, but we need upgrades on D. Good chance he outperforms Ceci. We need some youth and speed on this team. I trade Ceci, I retire Perry. Lots of upside potencial. We are not going to win with a bunch of older, slower players. Ceci is not that old, but he plays that way, and he's not a good match for Nurse. At 3.2, that's most of the salary for Broberg. It's a calculated gamble, to upgrade that top 4

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
It's really hard to overpay for broberg, but we need upgrades on D. Good chance he outperforms Ceci. We need some youth and speed on this team. I trade Ceci, I retire Perry. Lots of upside potencial. We are not going to win with a bunch of older, slower players. Ceci is not that old, but he plays that way, and he's not a good match for Nurse. At 3.2, that's most of the salary for Broberg. It's a calculated gamble, to upgrade that top 4
Sure, if Broberg wants to stay. Otherwise the best would be to let him go.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Cancucks are trash. Get lost
This. Loser Cucks fans getting lost in here.

As an aside, was never a Holloway fan. His stats say 6'1 but standing next to him he's 5'11 at best. Then he had a nice playoff run for a few games and I thought maybe there's a player there and I was wrong about him. But I don't think I'd match the offer. Too rich for what he brings and what this team needs.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
No, no he wasn't:
View attachment 901351

Oh man. Numbers don't lie BS again.
So, what were the forwards on with Broberg? How many faceoffs were in our zone. How many times was there an icing and Broberg and his partner were stuck with the 4th line and Florida was able to bring their 1st line on? The list goes on, stats suck unless used be people that watch that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Oh man. Numbers don't lie BS again.
So, what were the forwards on with Broberg? How many faceoffs were in our zone. How many times was there an icing and Broberg and his partner were stuck with the 4th line and Florida was able to bring their 1st line on? The list goes on, stats suck unless used be people that watch that game.
He struggled as I expected him to. Playing the narrative that he was amazing and our best D out there is a fallacy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad