Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I do also have to say, It's kind of dumb for people to question the loyalty of these players.

Look at Ryan McLeod. He took a discount when we needed him too, and we still had no problem trading him away. Which is totally fine, thats the business. But the business goes both ways.

These players know that being loyal now and taking a cut is no guarantee of return loyalty.

Well McLeod got squeezed when he was forced to sign for 700k when he should of got 1.1m. He ended up getting paid 2.1m when he was probably worth 1.7m. I would say it worked out for him in the end.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Didn’t Servalli say Bouchard, McDavid, and Leon have all chatted and all are willing to take Les’s to play in Edmonton? That should be the culture and tone here. Let Holloway and Broberg walk. Take the picks- upgrade at the deadline. No need to screw the cap for next year too on a combined 170 NHL games played
Who the f*** knows. Servalli said there was definitely a market for Ceci.

They didn't move Ceci and Broberg and Holloway were left exposed to offer sheets.

f***ery is afoot.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Maybe he did that knowing that those two refused their offers from us, and that they were going to see if they got offer sheets after the season was over? The writing was on the wall so to speak and there were rumblings early of offer sheets coming in. @SupremeTeam16 mentions this as a possibility in the "Does Bowman make his mark on the team" thread. In context, it makes a whole lot of sense of how things shook out.
From my understand the 1.8 and 1.2 were where the players were at, and it was the Oilers that chose not to ink those deals.

If im misunderstanding the quotes then I apologize. But this is where my opinion is coming from.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From my understand the 1.8 and 1.2 were where the players were at, and it was the Oilers that chose not to ink those deals.

If im misunderstanding the quotes then I apologize. But this is where my opinion is coming from.

1.8 is what Broberg's camp wanted.

1.2 is what the Oilers offered Holloway (he obviously was looking for more than that).

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Thats what I’m saying is I don’t necessarily believe these reported ask numbers and I don’t believe either agent would have advised their client to sign at that number if they though an offer sheet might come.

Let me ask you two simple questions.

If you were the agent for either of these players and it’s June 26 and the Oilers are willing to or close to meeting the reported ask, would you advise your client to sign?

And next question, if it was January/February and Holloway/Broberg are struggling to contribute and stay in the lineup, if you were Jeff Jackson would you sign these guys to 1.2 and 1.8 deals?
So the player and agent bring a number to the team, and then when the team is close to or willing to go there, the agent then advises the players not to sign for what they asked?

Am I understanding your question?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If they signed Broberg to 1.8 the same people blaming JJ for not signing him at 1.8 would be the same ones blaming him for an overpay.

When players are on ELCs without arb rights the GMs almost always lowball them.
Holloway was probably a realistic sign at $1.2 million (his alleged asking price). Do that deal then the offer sheet threat to Broberg quite likely dissipates. The power of St. Louis's offer sheet was for the first time in history leveraging two players on one team that left itself cap vulnerable.

This now comes down to Oilers management assessment of Broberg and Holloway's latent potential to deliver cornerstone performance on a Cup window team, short-term and beyond versus ability to find comparable value with burning more assets in the market.

All while negotiating with Draisaitl and McDavid to believe in a sustaining winning window beyond the next 2 to 3 years of one of the oldest rosters in the league. Belief in Akey and Wanner, far lesser prospects than Broberg, is a leap of faith. I have no doubt the super elites sign but there is a massive hole created letting your top 2 young talents entering peak year performance leave for marginal return.

All that matters to me is how Oilers organization values Broberg and Holloway and react within this self induced inflation trap they created for themselves.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

They had offers tendered to them that aligned with our available space and window. They may have been a bit less than they would like, but that's how things go with being a contending team in a window to win. They chose not to sign them, and waited to see if any offer sheets came, which they did.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
1.8 is what Broberg's camp wanted.

1.2 is what the Oilers offered Holloway (he obviously was looking for more than that).
So they had a solid number for Broberg. It's on the team for choosing not to give it to him.

Personally I'd have had no issue giving Holloway the same deal McLeod got, but that's just me.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don’t blame either guy for signing an offer sheet especially in Brobergs case. Theres no way he could refuse to sign that. But its pretty obvious that they both worked in unison to put the Oilers in a tough spot. I doubt thats lost on management. It goes beyond signing an offer sheet because you want to be paid more.

They are well within their rights to do it though obviously.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

There is some extra context necessary here though.

Holloway wanted 1.2 on a 1 year contract only which takes him straight to arbitration rights. This is essentially a non starter and pretty much never happens for players coming off of their ELC.

Broberg's ask of 1.8 was rejected because well... given his career to date that's an overpayment from a team that can't afford it. I'm sure the prospect of an offersheet here occured to them and they were prepared to match a number higher than their hardball offer but they weren't prepared for a contract like this because someone giving it to Philip is/was pretty much insane.

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion on whether Holloway's number was his ask or the teams offer, I read somewhere yesterday that that was what his agent wanted but if that's incorrect then fair enough. Would make sense as 1.2x2 is pretty much right where I would expect the team to have been.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It'll just be a live and learn lesson for the front office, if they're smart they take this slap in the face and learn some lessons from it and vow to be better with cap management and youth development, because both of these areas have been too sloppy for too long here.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
There is some extra context necessary here though.

Holloway wanted 1.2 on a 1 year contract only which takes him straight to arbitration rights. This is essentially a non starter and pretty much never happens for players coming off of their ELC.

Broberg's ask of 1.8 was rejected because well... given his career to date that's an overpayment from a team that can't afford it. I'm sure the prospect of an offersheet here occured to them and they were prepared to match a number higher than their hardball offer but they weren't prepared for a contract like this because someone giving it to Philip is/was pretty much insane.
I mean, they had a reasonable understanding of where both of these guys would land contract wise from the sounds of it. Whether they wanted to hand out that money or not is entirely on them, and whether we thought it was fair or not is always irrelevant.

Instead they took that money and went for Skinner and Arvidsson. Right or wrong, good or bad. They expected these two kids to take close to or league minimum so they could go spending. Now it seems like a general sentiment is screw those two, McDavid and Drai are only going to make 12/13 million a year so they should have been happy with whatever they got offered.

I like the Skinner signing and I hope he plays well. But looking at it now, I would have been just as fine using his money to lock in Broberg at least, and likely Holloway too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean, they had a reasonable understanding of where both of these guys would land contract wise from the sounds of it. Whether they wanted to hand out that money or not is entirely on them, and whether we thought it was fair or not is always irrelevant.

Instead they took that money and went for Skinner and Arvidsson. Right or wrong, good or bad. They expected these two kids to take close to or league minimum so they could go spending.

I like the Skinner signing and I hope he plays well. But looking at it now, I would have been just as fine using his money to lock in Broberg at least, and likely Holloway too.

Henrique would be the one you could argue was a luxury we didn't need, but really having 6.5 million in dead cap hurts a ton, so does 2 million extra paid to Nurse.

Upgrading the top 6 we had to do.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Henrique would be the one you could argue was a luxury we didn't need, but really having 6.5 million in dead cap hurts a ton, so does 2 million extra paid to Nurse.

Upgrading the top 6 we had to do.
Yeah I can agree with Henrique. There was at least one of the three moves they made that could have instead went to Broberg and Holloway.

I'm not upset at any of the signings they made. I like them. I'm not upset at Broberg and Holloway either. I also like both of them and think they will be contributors.

Which leads me to my original thought. Nobody screwed the Oilers. They did this to themselves and now have to deal with it.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Instead they took that money and went for Skinner and Arvidsson. Right or wrong, good or bad. They expected these two kids to take close to or league minimum so they could go spending. Now it seems like a general sentiment is screw those two, McDavid and Drai are only going to make 12/13 million a year so they should have been happy with whatever they got offered.

Broberg and Holloway were willing to drag this into September. No way Jackson could wait. He took care of the UFAs first and that's the smart move. Every players he signed aside from Perry were penny on the dollar.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

I think we're mostly on the same page. Without a doubt they gambled and lost.

I just don't blame management for adding real pieces when they had the chance and taking the really rather small risk that some team would lose it's mind and send a prospect with no track record an offersheet that has a middle pairing AAV. I think it was a smart gamble and one that most teams in the league make all the time.

Reactions: GOilers88

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I can agree with Henrique. There was at least one of the three moves they made that could have instead went to Broberg and Holloway.

I'm not upset at any of the signings they made. I like them. I'm not upset at Broberg and Holloway either. I also like both of them and think they will be contributors.

Which leads me to my original thought. Nobody screwed the Oilers. They did this to themselves and now have to deal with it.

It's really years of poor cap management and poor young player development that exploded over.

Is what it is, should be a wake up call for the front office. You can't be satisfied with that level of managing, it's not good enough for a contending team. Everyone in that front office to a man has to look at what they can do to be better, we have to more aggressive now on the open market when there are chances to acquire some young players with upside we have to be more open to taking those chances.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

I look at it a bit differently. This season and last when your team is adding a buncha of old hockey players like Perry, Brown, Arvie, Skinner than its a signal that minutes will be limited for topsix, or for anything, for other young forwards.

The Oilers have gone so hard in a vets direction that they around the oldest team in the league and getting older.

Its the thing that whenever the Oilers sign some vet people are going nuts how good a move this is when really the cap reality is that there will be player cost down the road. i.e. losing players.

Unfortunately its the young fast players that play with pace that we are losing.

But a lot of fans always seem to prefer the "name" players over development players. Which is odd to see on Hockey futures.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I do also have to say, It's kind of dumb for people to question the loyalty of these players.

Look at Ryan McLeod. He took a discount when we needed him too, and we still had no problem trading him away. Which is totally fine, thats the business. But the business goes both ways.

These players know that being loyal now and taking a cut is no guarantee of return loyalty.
Ya he got traded but he’s also now set up for a pretty decent pay day next summer. Short term loss for long term gain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad