Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Broberg and Holloway could have been told by there agent not to sign anything right away. Knowing the position the oilers were in might of told them let’s wait out the summer and see if there’s any offer sheets that materialize. Nobody knows why the oilers didn’t get them signed earlier.
It's also possible that they got these offers right after July 1 when the Blues saw the Oilers cap troubles. Maybe it's as simple as both players want to remain Oilers, but they used these offers that were on the table to negotiate better deals, and finally bit.

Not only are they making more money if they go to the Blues, but they were probably both offered a guarantee of better ice time.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Letting the emotion of it all die down, it makes sense to match Holloway, but let Broberg walk - which sucks, because I really hoped he would be part of this teams future.

I think it's far more likely that Holloway earns this contract than Broberg. In a year where we the team has asked players to take a cut to win, Broberg making millions more than his current value is sadly just a bad fit.

I know we aren't allowed to trade the players, but is there still the ability to negotiate with the Blues?

example.

"Kane will be on LTIR all season and we have a deal in place to move Ceci, so we can match both. If you throw in an extra pick, we won't match on Broberg."

I don't think so. A contract has been signed with STL. Our rights allow us to match or accept compensation. I doubt STL could say 'oh, nevermind' even if they wanted to back out.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I would have locked up those young players before I gave that cash to Henrique and Perry etc .But that's just me.
Signing Perry is irrelevant to the situation, his full cap hit can be buried. His signing doesn’t affect their ability to sign Holloway or Broberg at all.

Henrique is a legitimate NHL player who’s likely to have a bigger impact on the teams success this season then Broberg and Holloway combined. The goal for Edmonton this year is winning the Stanley Cup, not overpaying to retain question mark players who were relatively inconsequential to last seasons cup run.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
What has Stan done since starting? Was the RFAs just sitting in the wind unaware to him? Is he aware that there's a cap crunch?

Like get to f***ing work, right? I don't think that's an unreasonable ask of the team's f***ing GM.
You do seem pretty unreasonable and unaware how negotiations work.

Reactions: harpoon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Too lazy to keep reading this thread, but I seen that lazy as fuk metamucil sleepy Holland was advised to sign Holloway and Broberg quickly back in January lol

Poor guy was probably taking his grandpa nap everyday.

Same guy who loved his nurse ceci pairing. A pairing only a senile old fuk would love
You’re also too lazy to be aware that you can’t force a guy to sign a contract especially when he’s already asked for a trade

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You do seem pretty unreasonable and unaware how negotiations work.
It really doesn't. He got hire and has done nothing since. I don't know why it's so important for you to apologize for him. You don't have to, right? You understand he has a job he has to do that he's apparently not doing.

Have we heard from him since the offersheets? Has anyone? Again, Get the f*** to Work.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why is Ceci number 4? Stetcher’s defensive metrics are far superior than Ceci’s playing a top 4 role on a crappy Arizona team.
These are terrible options for a team that has designs on winning a Cup. Top 4 on a bad team is much different than playing top 4 on a Cup contender. Losing Broberg and even Desharnais for that matter weakens the defense.
The Oilers will be ok in the regular season because of their strength up front but they were depending heavily on Broberg taking that next step.

Henrique, Janmark, Brown, Skinner, possibly Drai soon. (If I recall correctly)
Yeah but as I mentioned to @CycloneSweep there's a difference between vets that have made big money already and young guys that have been making near league minimum for their first 3 years. I don't think the boys will give Broberg and Holloway the stink eye for chasing the money.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Signing Perry is irrelevant to the situation, his full cap hit can be buried. His signing doesn’t affect their ability to sign Holloway or Broberg at all.

Henrique is a legitimate NHL player who’s likely to have a bigger impact on the teams success this season then Broberg and Holloway combined. The goal for Edmonton this year is winning the Stanley Cup, not overpaying to retain question mark players who were relatively inconsequential to last seasons cup run.
Yeah I don't get what this Perry talk has got to do with anything.

People conflate salaries with roster spots. Perry doesn't take a roster spot from these guys, at least not Broberg. Perry's money has very little impact on this.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
These are terrible options for a team that has designs on winning a Cup. Top 4 on a bad team is much different than playing top 4 on a Cup contender. Losing Broberg and even Desharnais for that matter weakens the defense.
The Oilers will be ok in the regular season because of their strength up front but they were depending heavily on Broberg taking that next step.

Yeah but as I mentioned to @CycloneSweep there's a difference between vets that have made big money already and young guys that have been making near league minimum for their first 3 years. I don't think the boys will give Broberg and Holloway the stink eye for chasing the money.
We are going in circles here.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
If you match Broberg @4.5 doesn't his qualifying offer in 2 years need to be even higher? So you're taking a huge 4 year gamble on a guy who we easily could have traded at the deadline for the cup run and people would have been more than happy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We are going in circles here.
We're not if you really try to understand what I'm saying.

You were saying that there's potential for the locker room to be disturbed if the Oilers match because players might be sour at Broberg and Holloway for not taking big discounts for the sake of the team then you pointed out a bunch of vets taking discounts as examples that Broberg and Holloway should have followed (in the minds of their teammates). What I'm saying is that it's an apples and oranges comparison between vets and basically rookies taking discounts, do you disagree? I'm just trying to meet you halfway my friend.

In any event, after my long winded reply, it's cool to just agree to disagree. It has been an exhausting exchange haha

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
But you are looking at it like that was the trade off. We don’t know that. I’m suggesting it’s possible that by the time they were signing Perry they had a strong indication they were at risk of losing Broberg for sure. We just don’t know, if Broberg agent said we are looking hard at offer sheets and think we can get ine over $3mm the oilers would’ve known they were cooked.

Now if they didn’t even talk to the agent until after the Perry signing, you have a point. We just don’t know.
If they knew they were losing Broberg for sure. And really I don’t think they could have expected any more compensation than a second rounder. Why the hell didn’t they trade him? That would make this an even worse fail.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We're not if you really try to understand what I'm saying.

You were saying that there's potential for the locker room to be disturbed if the Oilers match because players might be sour at Broberg and Holloway for not taking big discounts for the sake of the team then you pointed out a bunch of vets taking discounts as examples that Broberg and Holloway should have followed (in the minds of their teammates). What I'm saying is that it's an apples and oranges comparison between vets and basically rookies taking discounts, do you disagree? I'm just trying to meet you halfway my friend.

In any event, after my long winded reply, it's cool to just agree to disagree. It has been an exhausting exchange haha
I'd say it isn't about not taking a discount. It's about forcing the team to pay them double or almost triple their market value.

By all means, use your leverage to get a good deal. These aren't good deals though. These deals are designed to be massive overpays to knee cap the Oilers. The players understand it's a business, but they also aren't dumb.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'd say it isn't about not taking a discount. It's about forcing the team to pay them double or almost triple their market value.

By all means, use your leverage to get a good deal. These aren't good deals though. These deals are designed to be massive overpays to knee cap the Oilers. The players understand it's a business, but they also aren't dumb.
Correct, what would be the point of not doing that on an offer sheet?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Yeah I don't get what this Perry talk has got to do with anything.

People conflate salaries with roster spots. Perry doesn't take a roster spot from these guys, at least not Broberg. Perry's money has very little impact on this.
Some people just want to cry. If the team overpaid to sign their rfa’s and then couldn’t afford to bring in legitimate, needle moving NHL players then the narrative would be flipped and the team would be stupid for overpaying unproven players instead of getting actual NHL players.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For sure, but that's why you don't see many offer sheets. You need a team willing to overpay and a player willing to screw their team over and leave.

I doubt the last part goes unnoticed in a room like the Oilers have now.
Why would the Oilers locker room care? Players have themselves to think about. Anybody who blames Broberg or Holloway for taking more money (and likely more playtime opportunity) is only fooling themselves. If the Oilers locker room wants to get mad at overpayments they should direct their ire to the one who overpaid Campbell and Nurse.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Dont' forget that Broberg only played third pairing in the playoffs.

He also came in completely healthy when many of his teammates were already dealing with injury. I am not surprised that he looked good.

He looked terrible early last season. You need to move out Kulak if Broberg is matched.

Holloway can get lost. He is injury prone and has trouble scoring points. He might be able to drive a line, but he could end up simply being another Foegele type.
Foegele was paid much more than the Holloway offer.
If Holloway can be as good he is worth 2.2.

Foegele was streaky. Very. Holloway was injured quite a lot so if healthy should be a good asset.

We have a lot of forwards so either way we are good.

D not so much but 4.6 is steep.

Reactions: McDoused

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Foegele was paid much more than the Holloway offer.
If Holloway can be as good he is worth 2.2.

Foegele was streaky. Very. Holloway was injured quite a lot so if healthy should be a good asset.

We have a lot of forwards so either way we are good.

D not so much but 4.6 is steep.
Holloway is going to play 4th line with Ryan and Perry so idk he prob isn’t scoring 30 this year and that is a steep contract for that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It really doesn't. He got hire and has done nothing since. I don't know why it's so important for you to apologize for him. You don't have to, right? You understand he has a job he has to do that he's apparently not doing.

Have we heard from him since the offersheets? Has anyone? Again, Get the f*** to Work.
So bowman should’ve just signed them to inflated deals to say he’s done something you can see?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad