Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We are tight against the cap because our core needs to get paid above others, soon. This is the motto now. This is why we are in this mess. 14 for Drai, 16 for McD. I agree they are worth it but not enough meat on the bone for others. Cap casualties, just like Clouder, we are much slower than we were yesterday.

Blues are taking a risk too but can't teach speed. Brutal for us, beneficial to them. Young players want ice time and too move up too, hopefully this is a lesson to McD and Drai. Not going to say anymore. No one is happy about it including myself.
Well...thats actually a future issue.
They havent even signed the core to their next contracts and their exisiting cap limitations have already cost them 2 young and upcoming players.
Players that they invested in and developed are now gone because the team prioritized the wrong players.

How much this benefits the Blues remains to be seen. Those are not good contracts for those players.
They are both very unproven players and they now have the added expectation to perform at a high level under the weight of those new contracts. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

That horse is thoroughly beaten to oblivion. :deadhorse
Its still a problem though isnt it.
Are we not supposed to mention it now?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They havent even signed the core to their next contracts and their exisiting cap limitations have already cost them 2 young and upcoming players.
Players that they invested in and developed are now gone because the team prioritized the wrong players.

How much this benefits the Blues remains to be seen. Those are not good contracts for those players.
They are both very unproven players and they now have the added expectation to perform at a high level under the weight of those new contracts. It will be interesting to watch for sure.

What do you mean already cost them? Holloway's offer sheet is easy to match. Broberg's is the tricky one.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
As of today, the fact that both of those players were our first round picks is irrelevant, water under the bridge. We can't look at that as part of the equation whether to sign them or not. It comes down to if management feels there are equal/better players available either thru trade or UFA's at a lower price point, or if one or both these players are better than what's available, and we are better trading a current player and matching the offers. Combination of Kane on LTIR and stripping the roster down to bare bones by sending guys down to the farm isn't the answer, we tried that before, it just burns guys out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What do you mean already cost them? Holloway's offer sheet is easy to match. Broberg's is the tricky one.
I wouldnt match Holloways offer.
A cap strapped team is going to match a $2M+ contract (for 2 years) for a player that has 18 points in 89 games?
No thanks.
The attractiveness of both Holloway and Broberg as players was the fact that they were cheap and this team needs cheap players badly.
That just isnt the case anymore.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I wouldnt match Holloways offer.
A cap strapped team is going to match a $2M+ (for 2 years) for a player that has 18 points in 89 games?
No thanks.
The attractiveness of both Holloway and Broberg as players was the fact that they were cheap and this team needs cheap players badly.
That just isnt the case anymore.
I keep that easily. 2.3M is low quality 3rd liner money. Would be dumb to give away a guy with his potential, and in limited minutes he showed very well to end the year. 8 goals and 12 points in 31 games to end the year while playing less than 12 minutes a night majority of that on the 4th line. Doesn't break their back this season, and could still trade him next summer if you need to. This one still feels like a no brainer because the overpay is less than 1mil.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Broberg is gone for sure maybe we can keep Holloway. Just when things were going so good for the Oilers in the off season disaster had to hit :(
Meh. Could be worse. Broberg and Turcotte fighting it out for worst top 10 pick in the 2019 draft.

No one wanted Broberg at the time other than Tyler Wright. The pick should have been Zegras.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I wonder if we have any interest in Zadina. He's only 2 years older than Holloway with 91 points in 262GP. Meanwhile Holloway has 18 points in 89 games. In order for Holloway to match those numbers he would need 73 points over the next 2 seasons or a 36 point pace.

Zadina would cost league minimum which would result in 1.5M in savings and net us a 3rd round pick.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I keep that easily. 2.3M is low quality 3rd liner money. Would be dumb to give away a guy with his potential, and in limited minutes he showed very well to end the year. 8 goals and 12 points in 31 games to end the year while playing less than 12 minutes a night majority of that on the 4th line. Doesn't break their back this season, and could still trade him next summer if you need to. This one still feels like a no brainer because the overpay is less than 1mil.
You have to consider that the team couldnt afford to sign either player before the offer sheet happened. Holloway is making at least double now.
So now they have to make room for an extra $1M and they have no more cap space than they had before the offer sheets.
One of the reasons a team develops players is to give them cheap alternatives to fill out a the lineup. Thats expecially true with a top heavy team like this one. Holloway just doesnt fit that scenario any more.

The question that should be asked...why did the team prioritize signing a washed up player like Perry over young players like Holloway or Broberg?
They had years of investment in Holloway and Broberg and no investment at all in Perry.

Jackson needs to answer for that IMO.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Let's just put out a Drai advertised 14.5 mil contract followed by yours truly McD (unknown) the next year (16 mil, 20 mil, sure). How does a good young player move up in minutes and make more $ when the core takes up too much of the cap? Very little room to move up the food chain. So this is the end result. Like it or not.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
All I know is thank god for the Savoie trade giving us a nice young option for 3 years, and lets hope Wanner/Akey progress well over the next couple years to hopefully grow into a top 4 role that Broberg was supposed to. The more I think about it I let Broberg walk and use the 2nd+Ceci+ to get a solidified top 4D. Either way I wouldn't walk away from Holloway on a minor overpay. Potential is too high with this player to give up on him over that. If he can become a 40-50 point fast and physical winger then he will easily cover that bet.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You have to consider that the team couldnt afford to sign either player before the offer sheet happened. Holloway is making at least double now.
So now they have to make room for an extra $1M and they have no more cap space than they had before the offer sheets.
One of the reasons a team develops players is to give them cheap alternatives to fill out a the lineup. Thats expecially true with a top heavy team like this one. Holloway just doesnt fit that scenario any more.

The question that should be asked...why did the team prioritize signing a washed up player like Perry over young players like Holloway or Broberg?
They had years of investment in Holloway and Broberg and no investment at all in Perry.

It is possible that reasonable offers were made to the players. The players may have refused to sign.

What would your opinion have been if JJ signed Broberg to a 2x4.5 million deal earlier this summer?

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Me personally, I’d be looking at potential solutions to work around these offer sheets tbh. But it’s looking like we’ll be losing on one of the two players.

You’re totally free to rehash talks of the bad contracts I guess.:dunno:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I agree they should have prioritized getting these guys signed earlier to avoid this, but I'm still not letting Holloway and his potential walk over 1.3M cap hit above what you can bury in the AHL. With Kane going on LTIR they won't struggle to fit Holloway in.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
One thing to consider about Broberg’s “breakout”. The playoffs are a marathon. It’s a long hard struggle with the first couple series being the worst of it. Guys play through so many serious injuries, especially in the later rounds. Now Broberg did make good on his chance. For that I’ll give him credit. But he came in fresh and rested and was able to tread water as he sprinted to the finish line. Do you think he would have been as effective playing through the war that are the first couple rounds of the playoffs? I dunno. It’s a huge gamble at that price point.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Never liked Broberg all that much, but I match that and say bye bye to Holloway. See what broberg is in 2 years and cry about it then.
Where do you play Broberg? He sucks on the right side.

One thing to consider about Broberg’s “breakout” in the playoffs. The playoffs are a marathon. It’s a long hard struggle. Guys play through so many serious injuries. The first series always being the worst of it. Now Broberg did make good on his chance. For that I’ll give him credit. But he came in fresh and rested and was able to tread water as he sprinted to the finish line. Do you think he would have been as effective playing through the war that are the first couple rounds of the playoffs? I dunno. It’s a huge gamble at that price point.
He really didn't breakout though. He played well against Dallas but got destroyed against Florida- most of that due to playing his offside (and Nurse). He has never played well, at any level, on his off side. Man, that Nurse contract is a huge albatross

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016
Where do you play Broberg? He sucks on the right side.

He really didn't breakout though. He played well against Dallas but got destroyed against Florida- most of that due to playing his offside (and Nurse). He has never played well, at any level, on his off side. Man, that Nurse contract is a huge albatross
That’s why I put breakout in quotation marks. He’s a huge gamble. His value was that of cost effectiveness. At this price he can be mediocre on a mediocre Blues squad.

Reactions: iCanada

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
One thing to consider about Broberg’s “breakout”. The playoffs are a marathon. It’s a long hard struggle with the first couple series being the worst of it. Guys play through so many serious injuries, especially in the later rounds. Now Broberg did make good on his chance. For that I’ll give him credit. But he came in fresh and rested and was able to tread water as he sprinted to the finish line. Do you think he would have been as effective playing through the war that are the first couple rounds of the playoffs? I dunno. It’s a huge gamble at that price point.
Holloway is a playoff guy, he brings grit, speed and skill. I'd keep him. Broberg would've probably been injured against Vancouver that series saw the Canucks take it to us physically.

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022

Sad isn't it? Makes me very sad. You develop them and over ripen as KH would say then poof they are gone. We have existing cap limitations, imagine what it will be like when Drai goes from 8.5 to 14, McD from 12.5 to 16. If there are issues now, it's a problem should the Oilers go this route.

If we do not match Broberg you are losing out on a top 2 D or at least a top 4 D. Once he is proven, he will be worth every penny. But Oilers don't get a chance to test the waters further on him. As fans we don't get the chance to evaluate. Blues have already made up their minds. Hedman said point blank that Broberg will be his closest comparable. So it hurts even more. Those are Hedman's words not mine. If true can't give him up at 4.5. I dunno, still trying to process things. This is where I put an even further limit on the stars. Maybe the other players don't feel appreciated enough.

It makes sense, see Ryan's comments. You have plenty of trophies, there is no "I" in team. Think they are past that, to the next level, players have a role but there can be issues...we should see soon enough.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It is possible that reasonable offers were made to the players. The players may have refused to sign.

What would your opinion have been if JJ signed Broberg to a 2x4.5 million deal earlier this summer?
Not sure how accurate it is but to my undersatnding the team was waiting on Kane to see if he was going on LTIR so they had his space to help alleviate the cap situation a little.

As for Broberg...if I had any say I wouldnt have signed him to that deal at all. Even half that would have been a stretch.
I just saw both players having value because they were cheap and this teams needs that in a big way this season. They just dont have the room for any alternative that isnt cheap.

Me personally, I’d be looking at potential solutions to work around these offer sheets tbh. But it’s looking like we’ll be losing on one of the two players.

You’re totally free to rehash talks of the bad contracts I guess.:dunno:
Well...when you say work around the offer sheets...what does that look like for you?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree they should have prioritized getting these guys signed earlier to avoid this, but I'm still not letting Holloway and his potential walk over 1.3M cap hit above what you can bury in the AHL. With Kane going on LTIR they won't struggle to fit Holloway in.
The thing is...the team doesnt have an issue with their forwards.
They are very deep as it stands right now. Its the defence thats a problem.
Its now even harder to address that if they match Holloway.

I understand what you are saying though...its hard to walk away from that player.
Again though...why on earth would the team sign Perry ahead of Holloway?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad