Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
It's like people can't grasp that there are two parties involved in a contract negotiation.

"Should have signed them sooner!" No shit, Sherlock, but unfortunately there are agents and players involved in the process too. Any agent that isn't stupid knows what the Oilers had the capacity to pay Holloway and Broberg. I guarantee that even if the Oilers aggressively pursued contracts with them on July 1 their agent is probably saying "thanks, but we'll see if a sheet comes our way, if not we'll tie it up before camp."

Not a single RFA without arbitration rights is helping themselves by signing a deal early unless it's for good money. Anyone staring down the barrel of a 1X$1/1.5 deal would be frankly stupid to not wait out the summer to see what they get, especially if they're with a cap strapped team.
Really well said. I wish more posters understood this.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's like people can't grasp that there are two parties involved in a contract negotiation.

"Should have signed them sooner!" No shit, Sherlock, but unfortunately there are agents and players involved in the process too. Any agent that isn't stupid knows what the Oilers had the capacity to pay Holloway and Broberg. I guarantee that even if the Oilers aggressively pursued contracts with them on July 1 their agent is probably saying "thanks, but we'll see if a sheet comes our way, if not we'll tie it up before camp."

Not a single RFA without arbitration rights is helping themselves by signing a deal early unless it's for good money. Anyone staring down the barrel of a 1X$1/1.5 deal would be frankly stupid to not wait out the summer to see what they get, especially if they're with a cap strapped team.

No question they knew. It’s a gamble to expose players to offer sheets but a good one as most teams avoid it.

I was thinking you have to shove it up the Blues ass and match both but now I’m thinking f*** them and hope Broberg and Holloway flame out and the Blues look like idiots.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nope. Not with a no move clause. No trades, no waiving. He's on the team, guaranteed, until 2027-28, when his full NMC becomes a 10 team no trade clause. Unless he wants out, he's going nowhere.
The definition of waiving is the player agreeing to want out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The team had already offered them contracts...they chose to wait for other offers.
Have to wonder how far apart they were on their contract talks. Plus, Holloway had 2 surgeries on the same hand, so I get him being a bit concerned should that be a problem over time. So, getting paid and putting that $5.8 mill in the bank makes sense.

Reactions: McBooya42

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's always the same question. If you were the player then which deal would you sign?

Only an extraterrestrial would have turned down the Blues offer and a 4 fold increase. Broberg is set for life now. I would have jumped all over it.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Can only trade them in a year from now. Team either matches or they don’t.

Unfortunately the Blues have put us in a bad spot.

Difficult to match these contracts especially Brobergs.

Guess we will see what Jackson/Bowman

Damn... Hopefully Jackson and the crew know what the hell they are doing...

Reactions: McDoused

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I get that us fans want to lay blame anytime something we don’t like happens, it’s human nature and I’m guilty of it as well.

That said I think we as fans need to step back and analyze the situation objectively and realistically rather than emotionally to better grasp and understand the full context of these situations.

And then I woke up! That’ll never happen!!! :laugh:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No question they knew. It’s a gamble to expose players to offer sheets but a good one as most teams avoid it.

I was thinking you have to shove it up the Blues ass and match both but now I’m thinking f*** them and hope Broberg and Holloway flame out and the Blues look like idiots.

I think at least in Broberg's case we are likely to get the last laugh. That is a lot of money to pay a player that has played to that contract level for no more than about 3-5 games (generously) in his entire career.

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
I don't think that is an option, as he is technically property of St. Louis right now as they have a signed agreement. Your suggestion is essentially trying to trade your compensation your entitled too. A deal like that would have been needed to be done before the offer sheet was signed, and then at that point the offer sheet isn't likely tendered as the new team could simply match with no issue.

This would be my target in exchange for Holloway haha
No one has mentioned this, but for the next 7 days, the Oil cam trade 1 or both of these guys ,along with perhaps Ceci or Kulak..Fill a hole with them, the draft picks r useless at this point

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Have to wonder how far apart they were on their contract talks. Plus, Holloway had 2 surgeries on the same hand, so I get him being a bit concerned should that be a problem over time. So, getting paid and putting that $5.8 mill in the bank makes sense.

We have to assume that the Oilers weren't much higher than 1-1.5M on both of these players given that that's what their play dictates they're worth and they had pretty much zero non-offersheet leverage.

This contract isn't the end of the world for Holloway but he definitely still got a significant payday courtesy of the Blues. Broberg is an albatross unless he transforms from a #7 to a #4 essentially overnight.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Picks are crap but could we use our 2026 1st + 2nd from blues + Ceci + prospect for a better player than Broberg? Since the 4.5M is tough since it reduces deadline flexibility for a better player hypothetically

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The question is do the guys in the locker room want them back?
You think players get upset with other players who don’t take a big pay cut? Players do not mess around with others players when it comes to getting paid, it’s a code thing. There is a big difference between McDavid taking a few million less (lets say 12 mil instead of 14) and Broberg getting triple what he likely would have gotten from the Oilers. Broberg could get injured and be done, turn into a bust, who knows. McDavid makes way more in endorsements then Broberg will make in his playing career on contracts. This is his life and his family’s future. Other players are not going to not want someone back because he was offered triple and took the offer.

Reactions: K1984

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
No one has mentioned this, but for the next 7 days, the Oil cam trade 1 or both of these guys ,along with perhaps Ceci or Kulak..Fill a hole with them, the draft picks r useless at this point

I don’t think they can be traded. The offers are signed and it is just a question of if they play with Edmonton or StLouis.

Reactions: OilfaninTO

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'm really not all that worried about losing these players. Maybe a little more than losing McLeod and Foegele. In the long run Holloway and Broberg could turn into something. Right now there is nothing special about either.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If I am the Oilers GM, I hammer the phones to see if I can replace both players with similar.

Trade for Nick Robertson in Toronto. Trade for a player ready to break out like Broberg. Use the assets gained.

Profit.

(ok so it's a pipedream)

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I still can't wrap my head around Holloway thinking that this is a good thing for him.

him and his agent probably saw he would have no where near as much opportunity this year with the Arvidsson and Skinner deals

but to go from playing with Draisaitl to Faska might hurt his future numbers more then the small raise he gets right now

Reactions: kurtcobang

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Picks are crap but could we use our 2026 1st + 2nd from blues + Ceci + prospect for a better player than Broberg? Since the 4.5M is tough since it reduces deadline flexibility for a better player hypothetically

Picks are fine, especially a 2nd rounder in this draft from a team that's odds on to miss the playoffs.

That's a pretty valuable trade chip at the deadline.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
It has been mentioned. They can’t be traded. They are blues right now. The oilers have 7 days to match but they can’t be traded or anything.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad