Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why would they take less money, and MUCH less in Broberg's case?

For you guys blaming Jeff Jackson for this, I haven't yet seen a reason that makes sense.
It makes sense for Broberg. Holloway he can wait a little and make much more really soon on the Oilers. But now it looks like he's Blues property

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That's not entirely true. We can afford Holloway rather easily, its just asking the question about whether he is worth it. Keeping Broberg takes a bit more work, but again, its more about whether we SHOULD, rather than if we CAN.
We are seriously competing for the Stanley Cup you can't take the course of overpaying these bottom roster players. It's the bum move.

This isn't revisionism. You can check. I wanted Holloway developed as a center on the 4th line and that would take all season. I wanted Broberg developed on the third pairing, again that would take all season.

Now they are gone. Rip the band-aid off. We have 2 more picks for the 2025 draft and we should trade them. Enticing because we have our own picks in 2026, 2027 and 2028 for poaching St. Louis players with offer sheets. They will have to re-up Holloway and Broberg during that time frame.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
It makes sense for Broberg. Holloway he can wait a little and make much more really soon on the Oilers. But now it looks like he's Blues property
Only part that doesn’t make sense for Holloway is the fact he could have had his name on the cup a year from now. Makes sense for bigger opportunities more ice time higher in the line-up on a retooling blues team, more money.

Just shitty as an oil fan

Reactions: ujju2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not so sure about that, not a big pathway in the short term for him to beef up numbers. He was essentially going to be starting on the 4th line to start this season with zero PP time.
Hell, even Kane was headed that way if healthy and they wanted to keep the 3rd line from the SCF intact. Depth is insane on the Oilers currently, much more of an opportunity in St. Louis to cash in on a bigger 3rd contract.

JeffSkinner53

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
I don't think we can keep Broberg. It just doesn't make sense.

Really shitty way for this to conclude.

Hats off the the Blues for f-ckn us. Well played.

I think we will keep Holloway... just because a 3rd for Holloway stinks.. and the contract isn't that bad. Still not great.

Giving up 2 pretty high 1st round picks for a 2nd and a 3rd is just... yikes. Especially on a team that needs cheap young players. Hard to overstate how bad this is.
On the plus side the 2nd is probably more than we would've gotten if we traded him back in February

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Your last point is what I'm not getting. Are the Oilers in some really unique situation? They offered Broberg a lot and it seems similar things could be done to other teams all the time. Maybe I'm wrong.
the Oilers were/are in a unique spot, over the cap, huge extensions to be signed over the next 2 or 3 years (McDavid, Drai, Bouchard). While the blues, had the space, had the need, and had their picks. More teams should do this, it won't always work, but at the very least, you're forcing another team to pay more than wanted to for 1 or both players. Annoyed? very. Understandable? completely.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Holloway IMO is about to break out we need his speed and net drives that could end up being a bargain contract , Broberg would at best match that salary IMO let him go

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We are seriously competing for the Stanley Cup you can't take the course of overpaying these bottom roster players. It's the bum move.

This isn't revisionism. You can check. I wanted Holloway developed as a center on the 4th line and that would take all season. I wanted Broberg developed on the third pairing, again that would take all season.

Now they are gone. Rip the band-aid off. We have 2 more picks for the 2025 draft and we should trade them. Enticing because we have our own picks in 2026, 2027 and 2028 for poaching St. Louis players with offer sheets. They will have to re-up Holloway and Broberg during that time frame.
Again, none of these means we CAN'T. I'm fine if you say we shouldn't. That's a fair opinion. But CAN'T is incorrect.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do the Oilers have any cap or the compensation picks to offersheet?
Exactly. This isn't STL/Van with Backes/Bernier or Mon/Car with Aho/KK. Edm needs every single cap dollar to ice a roster with McDrai. Only in a world where McDrai don't want to sign another contract with Edm would you even consider making an OS to a Blues player in the future.

KK is not the same player as Neighbour's.
What kind of cap room does Edm have projected in 2025? Neighbours is RFA in 2025, but by then Leon and Bouchard will be on new contracts. Unless one or both are not returning. Again, not in a position to play OS revenge.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Exactly. This isn't STL/Van with Backes/Bernier or Mon/Car with Aho/KK. Edm needs every single cap dollar to ice a roster with McDrai. Only in a world where McDrai don't want to sign another contract with Edm would you even consider making an OS to a Blues player in the future.

What kind of cap room does Edm have projected in 2025? Neighbours is RFA in 2025, but by then Leon and Bouchard will be on new contracts. Unless one or both are not returning. Again, not in a position to play OS revenge.
giphy.gif

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I'm sure both these guys took a good look a Mcleod, a homegrown player who did everything asked of him and took less twice to help the team's cap, only to be banished to Buffalo a week after game 7 of the cup finals. Its a business. The teams make their decisions, the players make theirs.
McLeod is overpaid.

Holloway and Broberg are about to get overpaid. These were our bottom players and they cashed in off of the playoff run.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Only part that doesn’t make sense for Holloway is the fact he could have had his name on the cup a year from now. Makes sense for bigger opportunities more ice time higher in the line-up on a retooling blues team, more money.

Just shitty as an oil fan
Holloway will also be playing on the 4th line in St. Louis. Is he worried he won't be able to outplay Perry?

His decision to accept the offersheet was really shortsighted. No one is really blaming Broberg. That's just too much dough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad