Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
My forehead is getting sore from the facepalm slapping going on when reading this thread.

I’m still here though. I guess I’m a masochist.

:)
Was the hire worth the headache? I guess we will see what Bowman is worth. Maybe he will succeed. Maybe the hire was Bettman's and the Board of Governors' way of destroying the Oilers.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
So do you look at bringing back Barrie? League minimum, and you know he has chemistry with Nurse… If you keep the cap low enough you don’t need the Kane LTIR money, you can go for a big fish at the deadline to sort out the second pairing
I think so.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
mixed mind about this. On one hand, I have been waiting for 20 years for nhl to evolve to a league where this happens. Makes for a lot of excitement for the fans instead of the old boys club with their secret handshake deals

On the other hand, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I laugh at how the same people blaming Jackson over this would be LOSING THEIR SHIT if he had signed Broberg to a 4.6 million x 2 contract this morning.

This is really how I view the entire thing. Would I have been happy with the signing if my team made it? If the answer is no, then you don't match. If its yes, then I think you match. It really is that simple in my mind honestly.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It takes like 6-12 weeks for an athlete to recover from sports hernia surgery. No way he's gone until the playoffs.
I read something is going on with his hip too. I don't know how legit that rumour is, but would explain why he was so limited in the finals after being much better for most of the regular season, when he was apparently dealing with that hernia for most of the year.

I actually thought you needed to have all your picks before making the offersheet? This whole not having the picks and making offsheet and then trading for the picks after is sketchy as f**k
They traded for the picks before announcing the offer sheet. They probably wanted to have confirmation from the players before they went to get the picks back, so they weren't trading assets for picks that they really didn't need aside from for an OS.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Stauffer said he’s dealing with multiple issues.
Even if he’s back in late Feb it’s lots of time to work out a solution.

Yeah, and that solution is dumping another player.

I don't think keeping Broberg is worth creating an extra hole in the roster when you gotta get rid of a Kulak or Kane at the trade deadline along with losing Ceci.

Does that really make the team better?

Reactions: McBooya42

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Stauffer said he’s dealing with multiple issues.
Even if he’s back in late Feb it’s lots of time to work out a solution.

I wonder if you can spread out the surgeries (if he needs multiple) to extend it. Fix one, and wait for the full recovery, and then operate again in 3 months on the next thing. Then Kane comes back healthy and goes down for a quick conditioning stint before the playoffs

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm sure if they were offered around 1.5 each they would have been signed , it was obviously insulting low balls offered

The Blues had been talking with the players agents now for a while. The Oilers had an offer on the table and the Blues beat them even at 1.5 by a wide margin. Why would players give up millions of dollars?

Reactions: McDoused

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Makes you wonder how little we offered Holloway.

Broberg is an easy pass @ 4.6Million. Don't blame him, go get your 9 million somewhere he hasn't made very much money to date.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So do you look at bringing back Barrie? League minimum, and you know he has chemistry with Nurse… If you keep the cap low enough you don’t need the Kane LTIR money, you can go for a big fish at the deadline to sort out the second pairing

It's actually not a bad idea. He knows the team, and could help as a stop-gap until TDL, and you'd get him at league min likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad