Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Broberg's total stats over the past 3 seasons:

GP 81
G 2
A 11
P 13
+/- -5
TOI 12:42

This is worth $4.5M for two years?

Yeah but you must understand that he had a recent memory 10 game stretch where he didn't look like a complete trainwreck while rocking a PDO of 110.

Really not sure why the Oilers didn't give him the Nurse contract.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

GP 81
G 2
A 11
P 13
+/- -5

They are not paying for 2022-23 and 2023-24 years and games he played. That is the OLD way of thinking, paying for past experience instead of paying for what they expect they will provide.

Reactions: 3IR

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Of course there were conversations. Nowhere did I say that no negotiations happened. And no, the Oilers wouldn't go that high. Nowhere did I say that either.

I'm just saying with a bit more cap room they could've hammered out a reasonable deal and instead this happens. He'd be stupid not to take that deal.

The fact of the matter is that the team is worse without him and Holloway. They're in a cap crunch and could potentially lose two young decent players.
You're working under the assumption that a "reasonable deal" somehow negates the St. Louis offer sheet in the first place.

The only thing we know for sure is the Broberg signed a deal that is obscenely over market value.

Instead of actually recognizing some prudence, finally, by Oiler management for not having any part of this idiocy, it's just another bullet in the Nerf gun of the usual suspects to somehow equate this to an Oiler management failure.

Again, if the Oilers signed and announced this deal this morning, this board would be in full Pontius Pilate mode for weeks.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Or Jackson's fault for prioritizing Arvidsson, Skinner, Henrique, Janmark, Brown etc over Holloway and Broberg. :D

That is possible but I used Capwages GM mode. If it is off, then you might be right.
I believe we are currently over the cap by ~7.3m if we match Broberg and Holloway. In order to maximize the LTIR pool, we would want to go into the season cap compliant, but as close to the cap as possible and LTIR kane when the season starts. However that isn't looking likely now that the offer sheets have been signed.

So my understanding is we should still be able to become cap compliant if we LTIR kane during the summer and trade Ceci, but instead of getting the full relief of 3.25m of capspace for ceci, and the full 5.25m LTIR pool from kane, we would instead only get whatever the cap overage ends up being when Kane is placed on LTIR.

hypotethically if we trade Ceci for zero cap coming back, we would be around 4m over the cap. If we LTIR Kane at that point, we only recieve the 4m overage as our LTIR pool rather than his entire caphit. So we lose ~1.25m as flexibility, while also not being able to accrue capspace throughout the season.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Our reporters were all but guaranteeing that both would be done at under 3M, and both were assuredly receiving two year deals.
our reporters were? I only saw 2 mutts podcast say that. I heard nothing that indicated deals would get by x from reporters. Mind you, I've been doing other things most of the summer and not following the news much

No he didn't and even if he did that's a 10 game sample which is indicative of absolutely nothing.

The coaching staff everyone on here loves so much didn't even want to play Broberg at all but he goes on one short stretch with a PDO that makes Vancouver look sustainable and all of a sudden he's a premium asset the team can't afford to lose around here. Real head scratcher.
8 game sample.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

GP 81
G 2
A 11
P 13
+/- -5

OS is never for market value of the player which is why you don’t see many of them. It’s at an amount that makes a team walk away.

KK from Montreal was not worth his $6.1 mill or even the $4.8 mill per that Carolina has paid him these past 3 seasons. But it was necessary to go that high to make the Habs pass up matching it.

Blues have cap room and a spot in their left side too 4 with Krug injury. If Broberg is not worth a $4.5 mill QO the blues walk away in 2 years.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Again, based on what? Broberg got caved in every bit as badly as Ceci did in the playoffs.

Philip's .970 goaltending allowed him to Vancouver his way into a contract that is 3M more than he's actually worth. If he can manage to be a decent #6 next year that might make him better at hockey than Ceci but it wouldn't make the contract the Blues signed him to any less of an albatross and it certainly wouldn't make him a better fit on our roster at their current prices.
I'm not disagreeing with you that Ceci is most likely the better Dman right now, but in a situation where the Oilers are being forced to make a move around these two, I don't think betting on Broberg would be difficult to understand for the team. He and Ceci may have been equally bad statistically last year, and Brobergs contract may be for a year longer and a bit more money, but after all the time they've spent developing Broberg, I would hope the team has seen enough to be confident in whether he's about to take the next step, or if he's going to forever be compared to players like Ceci.

It's insane to pay Broberg what he's been offered without any context, but given the teams cap situation, lack of prospect pool, and weakness on D, a gamble on Broberg might make sense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Army is leaving the QO to steen to decide. He wants back in the PO before he steps down.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Not really. They can bury nearly all of Perry's contract if needed this year and his hit won't count. If I remember correctly, the +35 contract stuff doesn't count as its a 1 year deal. The only part they can't work around is the 325K bonuses from last year, and around 200K from his new deal.
and Derek Ryan's 900K

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Anyone look at the Blues RFA's in the next year or two? There's a reason why offer sheets are rarely done. You're F**ING over another team. I have no doubt the Oilers will be going after theirs in the coming years. It's any teams right to offer sheet but they risk getting a taste of their own medicine down the line. It's business but not necessarily ethical in NHL circles.
I can't even count 5 offers sheet in the last 30 years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I believe we are currently over the cap by ~7.3m if we match Broberg and Holloway. In order to maximize the LTIR pool, we would want to go into the season cap compliant, but as close to the cap as possible and LTIR kane when the season starts. However that isn't looking likely now that the offer sheets have been signed.

So my understanding is we should still be able to become cap compliant if we LTIR kane during the summer and trade Ceci, but instead of getting the full relief of 3.25m of capspace for ceci, and the full 5.25m LTIR pool from kane, we would instead only get whatever the cap overage ends up being when Kane is placed on LTIR.

hypotethically if we trade Ceci for zero cap coming back, we would be around 4m over the cap. If we LTIR Kane at that point, we only recieve the 4m overage as our LTIR pool rather than his entire caphit. So we lose ~1.25m as flexibility, while also not being able to accrue capspace throughout the season.
Lord, I miss Capfriendly today, ha ha.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

GP 81
G 2
A 11
P 13
+/- -5

Define worth? Its relative. For Blues this makes complete sense for their cap structure and what they might need. Few players have a coming out party like Broberg did in playoffs and then fall flat. The guy was very good with ice cold veins in the biggest stress games possible.

Clearly Broberg had shown his game and confirmed it in playoffs.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
OS is never for market value of the player which is why you don’t see many of them. It’s at an amount that makes a team walk away.

KK from Montreal was not worth his $6.1 mill or even the $4.8 mill per that Carolina has paid him these past 3 seasons. But it was necessary to go that high to make the Habs pass up matching it.

Blues have cap room and a spot in their left side too 4 with Krug injury. If Broberg is not worth a $4.5 mill QO the blues walk away in 2 years.
Exactly. Broberg signed the deal that makes the Oilers walk away.

It's just business, nothing more.

It doesn't take away from the fact that this deal is paying for the "expectation" of a player who has yet to show a lot in terms of consistent top 4 defenseman performance.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Anyone look at the Blues RFA's in the next year or two? There's a reason why offer sheets are rarely done. You're F**ING over another team. I have no doubt the Oilers will be going after theirs in the coming years. It's any teams right to offer sheet but they risk getting a taste of their own medicine down the line. It's business but not necessarily ethical in NHL circles.
I can't even count 5 offers sheet in the last 30 years.
The Blues identified a gap in the Oiler salary structure and ability to sign 2 hipo players. You cant fault them for going after it with offer sheets. Yes it’s frustrating though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad